• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing remington model 7 stocks??

killian.george

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Middle, TN
Does anybody know where to get decent stocks for the model 7 action? My wife has a model 7 in .260 rem that she deerhunts with and the barrel is supposed to be free floated, but instead it sits along the right edge of the wood the entire length of the barrel. It holds zero and groups good enough to kill deer in the timber we hunt in, but I know what that round is capable of and wanted to make some improvements.

Re: remington model 7 stocks??

The HS Precision stock for the model 7 is decent and McMillan makes several that will also work.......the mountain rifle pattern is nice and the "model 7" stock is a duplicate of the factory wood stock.

I have the HS Precision, but would probably go with McMillan if I could do it over. I did not care for the factory butt pad on the HS. Just my take on it.

Joel Russo , inlets all his stocks for the M-7 , and has a huge selection of laminates including an A5 clone

Thanks for the information. I will get started looking and then try to guide the wife in the right direction. After all, her rifle, her decision.

Big vote for the HS kevlar here. It free floated my barrel, is light and comfortable, and tightened up the groups immediately. Mine is 6mm Rem and a wonderful deer gun. Never tried the McMillan for the M7, but I do use A5's on my non-hunting rifles.

Joel Russo has a huge selection of colores , I think the same as like Richards Microfit , though I hate to even put those two in the same post !!

here is a black and brown A5L stock from Joel fitted to a M-7
6x47Lapua1.jpg

JJones, that is one good looking rifle. Just out of curiousity does anybody know how much weight those stocks add to the rifle? My wife is 5'5" and weighs about 110 lbs, I don't want anything so heavy that she is worn out by the time we get set up to start hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: george killian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody know where to get decent stocks for the model 7 action? My wife has a model 7 in .260 rem that she deerhunts with and the barrel is supposed to be free floated, but instead it sits along the right edge of the wood the entire length of the barrel. It holds zero and groups good enough to kill deer in the timber we hunt in, but I know what that round is capable of and wanted to make some improvements. </div></div>Hi George, The rem model seven is a standard inlet for us, we can fit it is just about any of our stocks, if we can help let us know. Thank you,

I have ordered stocks from Manners Stocks and Russo's Rifle Stocks . You will not beat their customer service or quality. If your going to get a new stock I would go with one of the two.

Just a question/suggestion...have you tried to open the barrel channel on the current stock? May fix the problem, but if you're like me, new is always more fun.

Good Luck

they are a good bit heavier than most composits , that rifle weighed total about 14lbs but had a fat barrel and some added weight to the stock as it was a varmint/target.

If Manners inlets for the M-7 that would be the direction I'd go , capible of very light weight and still strong , and the customer service is top notch.

I did a couple Rem 700's on Hightech Specialties stocks , the end result was a good light gun but it took a fair amount of work to get it their , with the time invested I should have spent a couple hundred more and just got a Manners of McMillan Edge series