• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington rolling block

)3ultrag;ide

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2020
Upstate SC
I am looking at a rolling block for sale. I know nothing about value or exactly what this one is. It says Remington Arms. Last patten date 1876. Supposedly used in the Black Hills conflict by the sellers great great grandfather. He was a Calvary soldier. Not sure why anyone would scratch 1864 on the stock. Any info on value and exaclty what I am looking at would be greatly appreciated. He says its a 30 cal 08???

Attachments

• 629951463_fl.jpg
    629951463_fl.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 629951655_fl.jpg
    629951655_fl.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 629951755_fl.jpg
    629951755_fl.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 629951707_fl.jpg
    629951707_fl.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 629951599_fl.jpg
    629951599_fl.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: camocorvette
The odds of it being at little big horn are slim. It might be 7mm caliber. I don't know alot about these though. What is he asking for it? I see these go for 4-500 most of the time if in good shape.

I am looking at a rolling block for sale. I know nothing about value or exactly what this one is. It says Remington Arms. Last patten date 1876. Supposedly used in the Black Hills conflict by the sellers great great grandfather. He was a Calvary soldier. Not sure why anyone would scratch 1864 on the stock. Any info on value and exaclty what I am looking at would be greatly appreciated. He says its a 30 cal 08???
unless it is heavily documented by reliable sources....ALWAYS buy the gun, NEVER the story.

gun shows are filled with guns the owner absolutely swears are the ones that "killed hitler" or "was at D-day" or "killed lincoln"

unless it is heavily documented by reliable sources....ALWAYS buy the gun, NEVER the story.

gun shows are filled with guns the owner absolutely swears are the ones that "killed hitler" or "was at D-day" or "killed lincoln"
Thanks for the info. I learned a long time ago stories are to be told by many and get bigger as they are passed down.

The Remington Rolling Block was one of the mass produced weapons in the history of the world. So many countries had them, more than anything. It's ridiculous. So there are hundreds of variations. The left side of the action typically shows some markings, along with the rear sight you provided, that would have allowed me to determine who used it.