• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington SPS Varmint any good?!?

benson821

Gunsmith, NRL/PRS Competitor, Hunter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2010
Whitehall, MT
Looking at this rifle now in 22-250 (maybe 243 but i already own a 270)for coyote hunting and long range target practice. It seems pretty nice i like the weight it's not too heavy. But would you reccoment this rifle as a base to build off of, I later on plan on changing the stock, trigger, maybe optic if it needs it.
But is this rifle out of the box able to do produce MOA results???

Would you reccomend this rifle as a starter rifle?

Any people shot or own one of these with a review with pics on this rifle would be much appreciated.
benson821

Re: Remington SPS Varmint any good?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benson821</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any people shot or own one of these with a review with pics on this rifle would be much appreciated.
benson821 </div></div>

http://www.8541tactical.com/spsv.php

SPSV_1071.jpg

I've been pleased with mine. Out of the box I was getting sub moa groups. I only have one complaint the stock is cheap. But I think they are a good starting platform.

The only problem with the 22-250 is that it will have a slow twist rate and you will be limited to bullets of 55 grains and lighter. Not the best for long range paper punching.

It's a good starter gun, especially when you consider the price point. If you do get one, I suggest that you change the stock. I put a bell and carlson on mine.

I'm lookin at getting a new stock for the first thing i change on the rifle. But I don't want the gun to we too much where i don't want to use it as a coyote rifle.

How much did that bell and carlson add onto your rifle and any recomendations on a new stock?? P.S. I'm LEFT HANDED.

Also i was looking at possibly getting 243 over the 22-250 but i already own a 270 win. and the 243 is almost a 270. i was looking at 22-250 because i already reload 223 and it wouldn't be that hard to also reload 22-250 also. what is the 243 like compared to the 270??
Would the 243 be better than the 22-250 for long range shooting and coyotes??

I'd probably do a .243. Little more thump at longer range. The .270 is a larger caliber in a long action. It's a larger game type rifle.

I have a 22-250 and love it, but a .243 may be a little more versitile as far as long range shooting/loading.

Here is mine. Granted, it's in .308win, but I really like it. It's my first bolt action and I'm having fun with it. I will be replacing the stock soon with a B&C Medalist A2 as the plastic remington stock is...well...cheap.

002.jpg

Check e-bay left handed HS precision stocks pop up from time to time.

Mine is a .22-250. They are a nice rifle for the price I think. Shoot pretty good but to reach its fullest potential you will need to reload for it. I never had success with factory ammo but I know some who have.
DSC01662.jpg

Regarding caliber choice:

243 Win and 270 Win are not really all that similar. One is a 6mm derived from a short action (308 Win) case. The other is a 7(ish) mm derived from a long action (30-06) case. Different actions, different case capacity, different bullets.

If you already have a 223 I would suggest going 243 over a 22-250. The 223 and 22-250 are working off same bullet section (.224).

The 243 Win. and 270 Win. are totally different animals.

Here's snipercentral's review of it:
http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

If you want a long range gun, you might look towards the SPS-Tactical instead. Here's The same sites review of it. It only comes in 223 and 308. 223 should be enough for coyote and out to 600ish yards. If you wanted longer distances, the 308 is a nice choice as it's going to take you to 1K and will kill coyotes just fine. It'll also be a good bit lighter and easier to carry on the hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duckslayer12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is a .22-250. They are a nice rifle for the price I think. Shoot pretty good but to reach its fullest potential you will need to reload for it. I never had success with factory ammo but I know some who have.
DSC01662.jpg
</div></div>

I have been looking around and the 22-250 seems pretty nice because I don't have to get differnt bullets primers and powder for the 243.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">How far have you shot your 22-250 out to and what is the heaviest bullets you can shoot through it?</span></span>
I'm planning on using this rifle mainly for range time, coyote/varmint hunting when there's nothing else to do, and for somewhat longrange (max 500-600 yards) plinking on steel, bottles, and other misc. items. Also remember I'm SOUTHPAW so i'm looking for a lefty rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benson821</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you reccomend this rifle as a starter rifle?
</div></div>

Heck, I'd recommend it as a keeper rifle!
Especially in .243 caliber.

012.jpg

Mines in 308 win. I almost got a 700p but I was planning on getting a mcmillan and I was told that the sps varmint is the same barreled action as the 700p so I saved a few hundered and got the sps. It shot around 3/4th of an inch at 100, im not the best shooter, in the A4 its closer to 0.6 moa, alittle under 1/2 moa with handloads.

Heres a pic with my old 16x super sniper
DSC_0012-1.jpg

Now with the new 10x with side focus
65829_1638536875895_1010958968_31768747_5909103_n.jpg

Go with the 243. That barrel will work with the 95gr smk's and the 105 Amax if you push them hard enough. The cartridge is potent enough to stay with you if you can get the chance to stretch it out a little more. As proviously stated, the 22-250 is limited by its less than ideal barrel twist.

I bought one in .243 a few years ago. It now sits in a B & C varmint medalist. Has a nikon buckmasters 4.5x14x40 mil dot. I wasn't impressed nor pleased with it at first. It's coming around though.

My gun won't shoot the 105gr amaxs well at all i.e. 4" and 5" groups.

However, it likes IMR 4064 and Berger 95gr target vlds - sub moa with these. I think this gun is going to get better by shooting it more or maybe I will.

The furthest I have stretched it was 469 yards on a piece of steel. The Bergers did well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought one in .243 a few years ago. It now sits in a B & C varmint medalist. Has a nikon buckmasters 4.5x14x40 mil dot. I wasn't impressed nor pleased with it at first. It's coming around though.

My gun won't shoot the 105gr amaxs well at all i.e. 4" and 5" groups.

However, it likes IMR 4064 and Berger 95gr target vlds - sub moa with these. I think this gun is going to get better by shooting it more or maybe I will.

The furthest I have stretched it was 469 yards on a piece of steel. The Bergers did well.

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Alright now you guys are selling me on the 243. haha</span> (the only reason i wasn't leaning towards it is becasue i have a 270 and it is a pain to see hits on target but i guess the weight of the rifle does come into play and the 243 is just pushing a bigger bullet faster)

what's the twist rate in the 243 and what size bullets can i shoot through that twist rate and what would you reccommend for longrange plinking and possible longrange varmint shooting???

Any scope reccomendations? My dad has a Super Sniper 10x on his AR 15 it seems pretty, but i was looking at the buckmasters 6-18 mildot scope it's on sale at midway usa.

Any other things you guys would suggest to get with the rifle or that you change on the rifle? (scope, bullets, handloads that work well, stock)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benson821</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's the twist rate in the 243 and what size bullets can i shoot through that twist rate and what would you reccommend for longrange plinking and possible longrange varmint shooting???

</div></div>

The SPS Varmint .243 is a 9 1/4 twist.
Mine shoots 80 grain Sierra Blitz better than anything else I've tried.
According to what I've read, a lot of folks have good results with 87's and even 105's.

IMR 4064 and H414 work well in my rifle, and a good stock usually improves the accuracy. It did for me.

What kind of upgrades have or would you make to this rifle. I'm looking at getting the rifle and scope for now and then when i get some more money to replace the stock.

Anybody have any reccomendations on a scope for the rifle for shooting out to 600ish yards?
Stock suggestions?

I'm going to MCRD San Diego Sept 12, 2011 so my hair brain plan is to get the rifle by the summer and then when i get back from MCRD i would get the upgrades for the rifle.

Any other people with reviews on this rifle?

What do you guys think about the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 mildot scope from midwayusa??
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=123107
I have been looking at if for a while and it looks nice and there are some good reviews on it.

Any scope recommendations for a 600 yard scope with repeatable turrets?
Bushnell 3200
Nikon Buckmaster 6-18