• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Reminton 700 in 30-06, is it worth upgrading?

jwfuhrman

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Decatur, Indiana
www.facebook.com
Dad bought a Remington 700(not sure of the model, black synthetic stock, non-detach mag) in 30-06 about 15 years ago. When I brought up wanting to shooting Tactical Long Range matches and the Occasional Mid-Range "F-class" style match, he offered to let me use his 30-06 Rem700 and I could upgrade it if wanted.

My question is, is it worth the time to upgrade or just pick up a 308 Rem700 SPS and go from there.

Im looking at upgrading:

Barrel
Stock(McMillian would be lovely)
Add Detachable Mag if possible

Ive also been looking at Savage Model10 FP in 308.

What would you guys recommend?

I like the idea of the 30-06 as you can drop anything in North America with it, and it stays Supersonic out to 1000 easier if I'd ever want to shoot that far.

Im an AR guy, know them inside and out, but when it comes to Bolt Guns, Im lost.

Re: Reminton 700 in 30-06, is it worth upgrading?

Hell yes, great caliber. My favorite actually. Little more OOMPH then .308 and alot better barrel life then 300WM.

Id go Krieger 1/10" twist barrel finished at 24"
McMillan stock in your flavor, they will inlet most if not all for the Rem 700 LA action.
for the DBM, Id go Surgeon if they make one, if not then a badger.

Here's my tactical 30-06 rig:

<span style="font-style: italic">Tactical Operations Lima 63 w/ Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50</span>

Lima26.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwfuhrman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do they make "big mags" for 30-06? Like 5/10rd's?

</div></div>
5's, AI made a few 10 rounders for public sale but the chances of finding one is almost zero. They also go for 300+$ when one can be found.

ha, WHOA! Ill stick with 5's lol

You've really got me thinkin now on a 30-06 instead of 308. I do have a chance to get a Savage Model10 FP in 308 for relatively cheap, but Im not 100% sure yet

go -06, you wont be disappointed, with 208 amaxs pushed fast your approaching 300WM ballistics.

If your going to shoot F-Class than a 30-06 would put you in F-Open shooting against 6.5x284's. A 308 would have you in F-TR shooting against other 308's.

If you want the external balistics of a 300WM build a 260 and shoot 130/139/140's in your LA or a 6.5x284. For F-Class, skip the DBM and go internal box. You'll be single feeding them anyway. The 6.5x284 will burn the barrel out quicker so it may not be the best choice. The 260 would have you in F-Open.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your going to shoot F-Class than a 30-06 would put you in F-Open shooting against 6.5x284's. A 308 would have you in F-TR shooting against other 308's.

If you want the external balistics of a 300WM build a 260 and shoot 130/139/140's in your LA or a 6.5x284. For F-Class, skip the DBM and go internal box. You'll be single feeding them anyway. The 6.5x284 will burn the barrel out quicker so it may not be the best choice. The 260 would have you in F-Open. </div></div>
He does state the occasional F-class but mostly for tactical long range.
260 would also be a great choice, and it would be my choice in a short action. Id say stick with the -06.

thanks for the replies guys. Just trying to get as much info before I decide what Im gonna do between the 2 choices. Im either going to pick up a Savage M10 FP and put some money into that, or put the money into the Rem700 30-06 I have available.

Build up the 700! Everyone makes parts for them, you can do whatever you want to it!

I wish sometimes that my 300WM was an -06. Ammo prices/selection and barrel life are alot worse with the .300

Take the action out and see if you have an HS precision stock sitting under it. I got my M700 for an insane price online thinking it would be a donor action for a build, and then found out when it showed up that the bull barrel is brand new, chamber/bolt pristine, and its sitting in an HS precision stock. The ad made it seem less impressive. You may already have a good stock.