• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remy 700 bolt dissassembly?

bdh308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2009
Paris,Tennessee
I havent taken apart my bolt and was wondering how to take it apart without buying the tool. Probably a thread on this but having a hard time finding it. Thanks.

Re: Remy 700 bolt dissassembly?

go look on my thread taht I started in the Gunsmithing area called Tubb Speedlock Assembly, someone posted the video of how to do it using the laces on your boots.

My advice? Buy the tool. The field expedient ways are good in the field but the tool is very easy to use.

Tools are great, but I always wear boots!
Putting bolt in at that angle is different.
May have to practice that myself.
Thanks.
(That vid is always good.)

By the way is there any special way of cleaning the bolt once disassembled? Clean it like you do the action or is there any precautions?

You really shouldn't ever have to take it apart to clean it. I have never cleaned the one in my Remmy. Wipe it down, little bit of oil or grease, and your good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really shouldn't ever have to take it apart to clean it. I have never cleaned the one in my Remmy. Wipe it down, little bit of oil or grease, and your good to go. </div></div>

Then you are in for a treat when the rifle doesn't shoot one day LOL You should clean the firing pin and inside the bolt occasionally and more if the rifle is in inclement conditions

As for always wearing boots, yes so do I so does that mean I don't need a car because I can walk everywhere too? Like I said the above way is good for field expedient way to do it but if you are at home taking the bolt apart it is easier to use the proper tool. Kind of like using a cleaning rod at home but a bore snake in the field. Make life harder on yourself if you want but I shelled out the small amount for the tool years ago and couldn't be happier.

Buy the tool - especially if you plan on going further and want to swap out the firing pin and/or spring. Nothing like springs and sharp objects flying around to get your attention...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really shouldn't ever have to take it apart to clean it. I have never cleaned the one in my Remmy. Wipe it down, little bit of oil or grease, and your good to go. </div></div>

Probably works well in the safe......

I didnt use a tool for the longest time. A vise and a penny work great. A lace on a shoe will work as well. Clean with lighter fluid or a good heavy cleaner use a think lubricant like kroil and your good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really shouldn't ever have to take it apart to clean it. I have never cleaned the one in my Remmy. Wipe it down, little bit of oil or grease, and your good to go. </div></div>

Probably works well in the safe...... </div></div>

Rifle gets shot enough, just never had to disassemble the bolt to clean. Plus, never knew how to take it apart until I watched that youtube demonstration.

How often do you clean yours?

I learned how to take mine apart by watching LL on you tube. I was having a misfire problem with reloads and decided to clean or replace my firing pin assembly. After watching I decided to keep a 1ft piece of nylon twine with a small loop on each end a nd a penny in my stock packs, for when I'm not wearing boots. I make a lariot loop with one end to go around my foot and use the other small loop to hook the dog. But, when I get the cocking piece pulled back far enough I slide the penny in the groove to hold it all back. Now I can screw it apart without worring about the twine slipping off and me hitting myself in the mouth.

I keep a piece of 550 cord tied in a loop hanging on my bench vise and a dime on in one of the bins. It's a great tool and doesn't take up any space.

It will save me money so I can get the FP disassembly tool.

I used a clothes hanger but the string thing would probably work better cause it kept slipping. Screw the Sinclair tool when its really pretty easy to remove with simple things like wire or string.

I would listen to Rob, the tool is so cheap and extremely handy. I use it every day and it makes things so much easier. Brownells has the tool as well as sinclair.

if you "use it everyday" I could understand the need. However, how many of us really are taking our bolts apart every day? I pull mine apart to wipe the firing pin and clean out the body about once a month and I have been shooting about 200-400 rounds a month. When I get my armorers certification and begin to maintain our other three rifles, then I will probably want one.

Thats true but if a piece of anything gets in the the threads or under the cocking piece your going to need more than a shoe string.