• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Restrepo, Afghanistan's Korengal Valley

ssgp2

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2004
montreal,Canada
Looks good...

American soldiers in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley,

http://www.restrepothemovie.com/
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/restrepo/
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DjqR6OucBc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DjqR6OucBc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Restrepo

Can't wait to see this one. Hope it comes to the indie theater in town.

ZLBubba,
Look at the restrepo website, I believe one of the screenings is at Fort Bragg. Let us know how you like it.

For you SoCal folks, it's playing over here on the westside at the Landmark on Pico Blvd.

Caught it last night. It's quite raw, but overall a good documentary. No politics, just the reality of fighting a difficult battle in some of the roughest terrain on Earth. If anything, it gives one an understanding of why it's such a difficult mission. There are some good bits with regard to leadership and accomplishing a difficult mission, lots of the goofy antics that come from being in a war zone for a while and naturally plenty of frustration with the fight as well as bravery.

I did enjoy the book because I was deployed to Afghanistan at the time that the book was written so it was very familiar. I look forward to the movie.

Saw this one yesterday. It was actually pretty hard to watch and I left the theater praying for the young men that are over there. That country looks like a huge rockpile filled with people left over from the 3rd century. Overall I agree with the the "it's pretty raw" comments, military people will understand the movie much more than civies. It is not getting any media coverage and is only playing in one theater in Austin. I hope more people see it, our boys are living in pretty shitty conditions. I felt pretty guilty sitting there in the air conditioned movie theater. It's not hard to send "goodies" to our young men overseas, maybe this will get a few more people off their asses and do it.

I watched it and have read the book. Both are good and are a must read and watch for anyone getting ready to operate in that environment.

I am actually taking all of my guys to go watch it soon. Hindu Kush, here we come.

One of the guys in that platoon was in my squad all through Ranger School. I cant wait to see it.

victory,
I am listening to the "WAR" CDs read by Junger while I drive to work. It's screening in my area soon. From what I can take from it so far is Junger does a hell of a job. I like that the soldiers are able to call and relate with him while on leave. It shows there was no slant on the story. You won't see that on CNN. It's a terrible but awe-inspiring situation all at the same time.

I wish you and your men nothing but the best as you take this task upon yourselves. Godspeed

RODENT

So what are we to think and feel as gun toters and typically Republicans about Bush/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz policy in light of the factual accounts, as distinguished from wishful administration political propaganda, of Time to KIll, Operation Anaconda, Not a Good Place to Die, and this account?

Simply, I find old men invested in the Military Industrial Complex, and from shelter, sending kids on a wild goose chase to be killed and scarred for life unconscionable.

About posting political topics, I know what Frank thinks, and I don't give a shit! What do you guys think?
T318.572.0559

5914.jpg

There I am looking happy as hell in the korengal... my unit replaced the guys in the movie restrepo. My platoon was at another COP in Kunar prov, we used to fly to the korengal to help them out. Movie was good, no slant, just the lives of the guys.

edit: pic doesnt look to work for me?? oh well, just me with my m14 in the korengal - NVM Added in photogallery on site.

Wow, that's a beautiful area. Some of Afghanistan is pretty cool, from some of the pictures I've seen, and I think if the terrorists where exterminated I wouldn't mind living there for a while. Reminds me of home, before I got stuck in a cesspool of a city.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what are we to think and feel as gun toters and typically Republicans about Bush/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz policy in light of the factual accounts, as distinguished from wishful administration political propaganda, of Time to KIll, Operation Anaconda, Not a Good Place to Die, and this account?

Simply, I find old men invested in the Military Industrial Complex, and from shelter, sending kids on a wild goose chase to be killed and scarred for life unconscionable.

About posting political topics, I know what Frank thinks, and I don't give a shit! What do you guys think?
T318.572.0559</div></div>

What the fuck are you rambling about???

Get a the High School Patriotism Award, degree in History and another in Law, serve a term in the Republican State Central Committee, a U.S. Senate internship, study law and foreign policy, the Executive branch since 1877, Legislative branch since Iran-Contra and the courts, vote for 30 years, try a jury case as counsel, study first hand accounts of US policy decisions in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Eisenhower era especially his view of the Military Industrial Complex, live two Summers in the outback of Kenya, one in India, pray in the Sistine Chapel, celebrate Mass in St. Peter's Basilica, accompany a Priest and two Seminarians and the Holy Eucharist in the species of the Blessed Sacrament to the tomb of John Paul II, experience an epiphany and get clean and sober, and complete the rite of passage of warrior stage.
When you've done that, you'll have your "What the fuck are you rambling about???" answer.
Until then, take the cotton out of your ears and stick in your mouth and under your keypads.
wink.gif

Love, peace.

Pretty upset I missed the local run of it here in Tucson, I hope they bring it back to the theater here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Standish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
5914.jpg

There I am looking happy as hell in the korengal... my unit replaced the guys in the movie restrepo. My platoon was at another COP in Kunar prov, we used to fly to the korengal to help them out. Movie was good, no slant, just the lives of the guys.

edit: pic doesnt look to work for me?? oh well, just me with my m14 in the korengal - NVM Added in photogallery on site. </div></div>

Take care of yourself and buddies!
Thank you for your service Sir!

Alright, so I've been in lower Manhattan the past few days and had a chance to check out Restrepo. BLUF, it's a powerful, honest portrayal of modern warfare. It showed the unit and the men's lives accurately without passing a moral judgment on decisions, which frankly is a difficult line to walk.

If you're a vet who has lost someone close in battle, realize that the movie will dredge up some old feelings. The portrayal of Operation Rock Avalanche got to me because it was filmed simply as the events happened: the crackle over the radio, the haziness of an attack, the muscle-memory handling of the crisis, and the realization that you've lost some guys. It's incredibly sobering, and does justice to those who survived and who were fallen.

Restrepo's one of the best docs I've seen in a long time, and it shows how glacial progress is in the wars we're fighting. It confirms to me the saying that came out of Vietnam but can easily fit our modern wars: on the ground, you're not fighting for liberty and freedom as much as you're fighting for the guys to your right and left. It's worth driving a couple hours to see this movie. You won't regret it.

Can I see it via the net anywhere? I live in the middle of no where and there isn't anywhere to see it.

Eastern Afghanistan is a tough place to fight .. seeing that trailer makes me miss it more than anything else in the world

I don't know if it's available yet on the net, but I'd think it should be available around Christmas time for DVD release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a the High School Patriotism Award, degree in History and another in Law, serve a term in the Republican State Central Committee, a U.S. Senate internship, study law and foreign policy, the Executive branch since 1877, Legislative branch since Iran-Contra and the courts, vote for 30 years, try a jury case as counsel, study first hand accounts of US policy decisions in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Eisenhower era especially his view of the Military Industrial Complex, live two Summers in the outback of Kenya, one in India, pray in the Sistine Chapel, celebrate Mass in St. Peter's Basilica, accompany a Priest and two Seminarians and the Holy Eucharist in the species of the Blessed Sacrament to the tomb of John Paul II, experience an epiphany and get clean and sober, and complete the rite of passage of warrior stage.
When you've done that, you'll have your "What the fuck are you rambling about???" answer.
Until then, take the cotton out of your ears and stick in your mouth and under your keypads.
wink.gif

Love, peace.</div></div>

I'm still lost on what you are talking about! and who you tryin to impress here? I did all that AND a navy seal countersniper that invented robin sage Soooooooooo

I read the book in July and went to see the movie a here in Socal about a month ago. It was a great book and a good movie. I had to explain a lot to the guys who saw it with me. I was glad I read the book first because there was so much back story I had insight on. I would recommend reading the book first, then go see the movie. It was an amazing piece of work. Being embedded in combat for that long without shooting back is crazy dedication.

I am still waiting for this film to be released. It was shot on a Canon 5DMKII on a steady cam and has a very cinematic look.

http://battleforheartsandminds.com/

Very good documentary, gives people in the states a taste of what life can be like here. It was somewhat upsetting for me to see the direction the war has been heading since then though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armyinfantry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eastern Afghanistan is a tough place to fight .. seeing that trailer makes me miss it more than anything else in the world </div></div>

The movie was alright, but a little boring.

Last edited:

I have seen the movie and just finished the book. I would advise everyone to do both as the book, "War" by Sebastian Junger is the most indepth and insightful account of war I have ever read. The book explains the context in which this epic is placed, thus a far more thorough understanding of the situation in the Korengal Valley in explained. It has no political agenda, just showing the reality of the Afghanistan conflict.

Interview of the author(1/5)

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zrUsrkCtY4&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zrUsrkCtY4&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Just finished the book, I`m impressed how much info there is in less then 300 pages.

I wish it had more on the snipers....

This was a really good movie, if you are friends of the page on FB they said that they are now accepting pre-orders on the NatGeo page of $29ish and it will ship something like 11/30

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillZone45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was a really good movie, if you are friends of the page on FB they said that they are now accepting pre-orders on the NatGeo page of $29ish and it will ship something like 11/30 </div></div>

Amazon says it will be released Dec 7th on DVD & Blu-Ray
http://www.amazon.com/Restrepo-Blu-Ray-D...6608&sr=8-1

There is also a photo essay book called "Infidel" by Tim Hetherington available now.
http://www.amazon.com/Tim-Hetherington-I...8949&sr=8-1

Re: Restrepo - Free showing Natl Geo On-Demand HD

Just an FYI for those with Time Warner cable, you may want to check the On-Demand channels for National Geographic programming.

I don't subscribe to any of the option packages that include Natl Geo so I cannot normally see their programs. Last night though, I was surprised to see Restrepo listed in the Natl Geo On-Demand HD page, and even more shocked when I hit play and it started! I didn't have time then to view it, but did fast forward into it enough to see it's the whole movie.

I don't know if this is a free showing due to Veteran's Day or if it will be available for some time afterwards. Hopefully I can watch it tonight or this weekend, so you may want to check for this free showing.

Cheers!
Scott

Re: Restrepo - Free showing Natl Geo On-Demand HD

Playing right now. On Natgeo.

Re: Restrepo, Afghanistan's Korengal Valley

I came away from the experience of watching the film with two thoughts.

1. We cannot ever defeat them entirely.
2. Many of the locals have no idea who we are or why we're there.

Saw the 1st hr last nite ill watch the rest tommorow
It seemed pretty well put together no political crap
which is not typical of natgeo so I was surprised when they didnt try to back stab someone .
And GOD BLESS any of you guys who have been in that piece of shit of a country.

I just finished reading the book, and seeing the documentary right afterwards really made a huge impact on me. I hope more people get the opportunity to see this, and thank you to all who served or are currently serving.

The "Same Day Cow" incident was particularly funny after reading the book.

Spenser

watched hr 2 last nite all I wanna know is what was the box that the guy was looking through when the apache was engaging
the scumbags on the mountain was it a laser designator ?
Thought it was a great documentary I will have to get the book you guys were talking about.

I watched it the other night, and am somewhat confused and would like some Army vets to explain since we did things alot differently. I am in no way trying to instigate a branch vs branch argument. Just looking for answers.
1. Why throughout the entire documentary are these soldiers not wearing complete/proper PPE in a combat zone? No neck guard or groin protector, Helmets/vests not worn, uniforms half on/not on at all, gloves missing/sleeves rolled up, no one wearing ballistic glasses etc.
2. When building new outposts, are you not inspected to insure a proper defensive position? To me this outpost was all kinds of screwed up, pretty much a death trap.

Like i said, just asking because that would not fly in Marine Corps infantry. I understand things are done differntly, but the rules/regulations for PPE are mandatory across all services in combat zones. PPE saves lives PERIOD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...all I wanna know is what was the box that the guy was looking through when the apache was engaging
the scumbags on the mountain was it a laser designator ?...</div></div>
LRAS3, integrated FLIR, GPS, laser designator and video recording.