• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results: 110gr V-Max at 3800 fps in 300WM

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
I started a thread months back asking this question and was told to try it and find out, so I did and am reporting back though I couldn't find that thread....

I worked up a load for my 300WM using the 110gr V-Max bullet and 83.5gr IMR4831. It is .1 or .2 grains from going into a compressed load. I did not bother calculating how far off the lands, it is a long way, to keep it in the case far enough to be consistent and reasonable. Velocity is right at 3800 fps. Multiple groups all in the .5-.75 MOA range; higher charges open up the groups though pressure is ok.

Results on everything I've shot at have been impressive. Water-filled milk jugs turn into 20-ft balls of mist, often there is no discernible exit hole in what is left of the plastic. I have launched one to at least 20ft in elevation.

The purpose for this load is I'm still stashing money away for a good 243AI build, so my 300WM Sendero elk rifle is the only option I have for the potential coyote in my yard (I have a Garand but am not going to risk it with such non-standard bullets). I am rural but need something I don't have to worry much about traveling after impacting a surface.

I have not found time to go test on coyotes, but I did hit a small random nuisance animal about 4-5 inches in width this week at a range of around 50 yards. Initially I thought the results were unimpressive -- until I inspected it close up. Debris from the animal was scattered 10 yards to the right of the animal and 10 yards downrange. The exit hole, even after only 4 inches inside a very thin-skinned animal, was fully 4 inches across.

More importantly, the trajectory should have carried the bullet into the soft dirt behind within 10 feet of the animal and there was nary a mark on the ground -- the bullet clearly was destroyed already.

The verdict: While I will never shoot a lot of these rounds to spare my barrel, it is quite clear that they would destroy a coyote and the V-Max obviously blows up quickly and easily -- just what I was looking for.

Re: Results: 110gr V-Max at 3800 fps in 300WM

Harold- if you are only working with published load data you are missing good load potential. Working up a load can show you how far off published data is due to liability. Many of my loads are over what the "books" say is max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you arrive at the loading data? Source? My book only showing 65-73 grains of powder used to acheive 3700 fps and that is in the red zone. </div></div>

I don't know what book you're looking at, are you sure you're looking at the right powder??

73 grains wouldn't get me anywhere NEAR 3700 fps, I'd be down closer to 3300-3400. I know, I started low as I did not trust a lot of the load data I initially found.

My pressure with this load is less than my standard 200gr bullet load (74gr Re22).

My barrel always shoots a little slow for a given load, but not THAT slow. I think the book also says around 73gr Re22 is the max for a 200gr bullet but I'm at 74 with no pressure issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazuris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recoil? </div></div>

Recoil is lighter than any load I have tested with a "conventional" 300WM weight bullet. Probably like a factory 30-06 load.

Great results! Some have reported the 110 V-max falling apart at those velocities--glad you're getting better results.

ATH I use a 110 siehp for pdogs out of my 308 max load of 51.5 blc-2 and I get 3300 not shure of your data but on the other hand its amazing what that little bullet will do!