• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Retirement looms on the near horizon.......

I quit at 55, and haven't looked back. Bills were paid, Sold the house, bought another and went on a permanent vacation.
5 Saturdays, 1 Sunday per week, with a floating day off every week.
the floating day off is in case I decide, "Tomorrow I am going tomorrow the lawn".
Then if I get up the next morning and think, "Whoa, it is far too nice a day to mow the lawn, I'm going fishing." Then I take a floating day off.

Thanks for the input. My wife retired in December and is adjusting to being off work. We looked over her plan and she would have earned another $12 per month to stay another year. Same problems as everyone else, woke bullshit was making life at work a form of hell. Kids and younger employees with millennial issues we impossible to deal with. One of her 20-something new hires learned she got 80 hours of sick leave a year, took two fucking weeks off for her 3rd and 4th week, SICK! The boss didn't even consider firing her. When she got "covid" after four months, they no shit asked people to donate sick leave to her, my bride said NOPE. We decided the hell with that 12 dollars.

Everyday I get emails for the trans-sexual luncheon or some such shit and they literally asked me and my co-workers to take time out of our expensive and busy days to sit thru this kind of bullshit. Like so many of you, I am sick of it and really have no interest in picking my pronouns or going to a group grope with dipshits as part of my day. We had to go 6 hours away to a regional headquarters last January for some training, they literally have two "Crying rooms" on each floor for people with hurt feelings. I was hunting a restroom and found one. They removed one restroom completely to make crying rooms and made the other restroom open to all. So I took a leak in a restroom with a woman dropping a deuce in the stall. Who needs this shit?

T minus 12 months and counting.

My father in law was 58. He had his AF retirement and another in hand at the hospital he worked. House paid for and no debt. Investments were modest but he had enough. He said he was just tired and wanted to retire and enjoy life. His bitch of a wife (who didn't work) wouldn't let him and told him he had to wait until 62. About a month later he was with my kids on the ski slope. Died of a massive stroke right there on the slope.

Retire now. Enjoy your life.

My stance is I've seen too many guys wait, retire & die shortly after. It would depend a lot on what other savings & debt you have. I turn 58 this year, I'm fucked because I pretty much gave my retirement away in my divorce. My body won't make it to 62 yet alone 67. I save 10% in my 401k, I don't have debt. Even when I "retire" I'll have to turn a hobby into a business to supplement my income till I die.
But that's just me...

I retired June 2020 from active duty. It's not a "real" retirement but a working retirement. I found something that was a little lower on the responsibility level (and somehow managed to screw that up and gave myself a crapload of more responsibility). Maybe retire from the jobs that you don't care for and find something to do in a field you enjoy as a part timer?

Reactions: jrassy
I retired June 2020 from active duty. It's not a "real" retirement but a working retirement. I found something that was a little lower on the responsibility level (and somehow managed to screw that up and gave myself a crapload of more responsibility). Maybe retire from the jobs that you don't care for and find something to do in a field you enjoy as a part timer?
This is my fear. Had a boatload of responsibility in the career I just retired from. When I think about doing something else just to keep busy, I realize it probably wouldn’t be too long before the “old me” kicked in and I’d be back to where I was. Call it a personality flaw or whatever. Can’t sit back and watch things not get done and not problem solve.

Retirement, the option to be done with it is a mere 12-18 months away. So the question is, do you call it done or grind it out until 65-67 and leave with more money and less health? I could literally bank another $500,000 if I stayed six more years. The problem is this job is tough on you, it is all weather, all hours and all the time, overtime, it is not six years of sitting in an office 9 to 5.

In 12 short months the National Guard will start paying me a nice healthy check every month along with medical insurance for life. Combined with my retirement from a previous civilian job that I had for twenty years my staying at home income is pretty solid. Everything is paid for, houses, trucks, cars, camper and I carry no debt on credit cards. Six months after the guard checks start rolling in, I can retire from my current job with yet another smallish pension at 62. After 62, there is social security as well. So, even if I called it done in 12 months, my income has two more nice increases coming in the next few years so life would still get better. My take home will actually increase once work is done.

While I am apparently well off and make more money than 97% of America, I apparently make less money than 99% of the fuckers on the internet. I'm the only guy on the internet not riding in my private jet to box seats at every NFL game. I'm expecting Biden and his fucktard administration to screw up the stock market before they leave office and everything will take a 10-20% hit for a few years, I can weather that just fine as well. It's already accounted for in the master plan. I'm at the, "Holy shit, I may have actually done this", stage.

It's getting awful close to time to call it done and go hunting, shooting, camping and driving my sports car full time. I'm nervous, this scheme has been more than forty years in the making. I have plenty to do to entertain myself in retirement and I'm sure between kids, grandkids and interesting things to do boredom will not be a problem.

Would you keep working or be done as soon as possible?

For those of you who are retired. How did it feel to finally pull the trigger and be done, to have every day as your own?

My official date was August 1st 2020. Wife was begging me to retire, I wanted and needed to retire, but that is an enormous leap.
I had considered filing disability for many months before I retired, but advisors said I'd gain nothing, as they'd look at my years of service and simply retire me out with 30+ anyway.
I still need to file SSDI, but I'd rather scrub my ass with a kerosene soaked brillo pad, than deal with those fucking thieves.

Best thing I ever did. That job was killing me.

This is my fear. Had a boatload of responsibility in the career I just retired from. When I think about doing something else just to keep busy, I realize it probably wouldn’t be too long before the “old me” kicked in and I’d be back to where I was. Call it a personality flaw or whatever. Can’t sit back and watch things not get done and not problem solve.
Yes, same issue here. Add in I enjoyed being "the man" (call it a pride thing). I was told that I should have taken a longer break before I got back into the fray, but with one in college and one in high school, and a small hobby farm I felt I needed the money (not to mention being on the Hide and wanting NVG's and thermals). My current boss has to usually tell me to take some days off, with all that I am currently involved in it is hard for me to break away or feel like I can.

Reactions: Familydude
Yes, same issue here. Add in I enjoyed being "the man" (call it a pride thing). I was told that I should have taken a longer break before I got back into the fray, but with one in college and one in high school, and a small hobby farm I felt I needed the money (not to mention being on the Hide and wanting NVG's and thermals). My current boss has to usually tell me to take some days off, with all that I am currently involved in it is hard for me to break away or feel like I can.
This^^^

Reactions: stefan73
Don’t wait, be done ASAP, get on with the rest of your life NOW.
Seen too many friends pass, while waiting out the retirement date, or retired and passed within a year. F that.
I waited until I was Social Security FRA (67).
Retired about 16 months before my 30 year state pension was fully paid.
Reasoned that I did not need the additional $150k in pension pay-out, as all debt (house, car, etc) was paid, kids grown and gone, wife still working so as to reach her FRA and also qualify for her state pension.

No matter how much $$$ I have, I can not buy more time in this life.

Learned in retirement:
- Many of the projects I had saved for retirement were no longer within my physical and mental abilities (sold all the hobby cars & motorcycles, rather than restore them)
- Slower pace = fatness, changed diet for better health.
- DO NOT wait to do things, there is no tomorrow.
(Always wanted to spend a Summer in Alaska - 2019 - done!)

If you feel the need to work after retiring, just stay where ya are. You haven't learned the meaning of the word.
I hear you. Just takes time to go from a crazy, 7/24/365 pace to full stop. I’m not yet 60 so I feel like I can still contribute, but not at the level I was, and not in the same profession. Don’t have that desire any more. Not even close.

Maybe I’ll just build affordable wooden end tables. Really small ones.

• Haha
Reactions: NoDopes
Retirement, the option to be done with it is a mere 12-18 months away. So the question is, do you call it done or grind it out until 65-67 and leave with more money and less health? I could literally bank another $500,000 if I stayed six more years. The problem is this job is tough on you, it is all weather, all hours and all the time, overtime, it is not six years of sitting in an office 9 to 5.

In 12 short months the National Guard will start paying me a nice healthy check every month along with medical insurance for life. Combined with my retirement from a previous civilian job that I had for twenty years my staying at home income is pretty solid. Everything is paid for, houses, trucks, cars, camper and I carry no debt on credit cards. Six months after the guard checks start rolling in, I can retire from my current job with yet another smallish pension at 62. After 62, there is social security as well. So, even if I called it done in 12 months, my income has two more nice increases coming in the next few years so life would still get better. My take home will actually increase once work is done.

While I am apparently well off and make more money than 97% of America, I apparently make less money than 99% of the fuckers on the internet. I'm the only guy on the internet not riding in my private jet to box seats at every NFL game. I'm expecting Biden and his fucktard administration to screw up the stock market before they leave office and everything will take a 10-20% hit for a few years, I can weather that just fine as well. It's already accounted for in the master plan. I'm at the, "Holy shit, I may have actually done this", stage.

It's getting awful close to time to call it done and go hunting, shooting, camping and driving my sports car full time. I'm nervous, this scheme has been more than forty years in the making. I have plenty to do to entertain myself in retirement and I'm sure between kids, grandkids and interesting things to do boredom will not be a problem.

Would you keep working or be done as soon as possible?

For those of you who are retired. How did it feel to finally pull the trigger and be done, to have every day as your own?
I would be out ASAP! Just make sure to keep yourself busy and stay physically active. I’ve seen more people than I care to admit, go downhill quick once they stopped working. For me, I’ve got 23 more years of working for the man :(. I’d move to retire right now but like most people, that ain’t in the cards. As noted above, one thing you cannot buy is more time. Get out there and do some shit that you want to do!

Last edited:
One of my neighbors who was already retired shared his advice with me on things he learned at our time in life.
60 - 70 are your go go years.
70 - 80 are your go slow years.
80 + in most cases are your no go years.

That resonated with me.

My wife and I are working on modestly traveling and seeing the USA; mostly National Parks, etc. We have no need to visit population centers and deal with that crap. We have a small RV that we are trying to wear out with the time we have left while we are physically able.
I'm 55 and this is why I'm retiring in 2 months! I've got a motorcycle that I want to enjoy while I'm still physically able. No one is on their death bed wishing they had worked more.

If you feel the need to work after retiring, just stay where ya are. You haven't learned the meaning of the word.
But, do you ever really retire without work? Regardless if it is house work, farm work or something else.

Don’t wait, be done ASAP, get on with the rest of your life NOW.
Seen too many friends pass, while waiting out the retirement date, or retired and passed within a year. F that.
I waited until I was Social Security FRA (67).
Retired about 16 months before my 30 year state pension was fully paid.
Reasoned that I did not need the additional $150k in pension pay-out, as all debt (house, car, etc) was paid, kids grown and gone, wife still working so as to reach her FRA and also qualify for her state pension.

No matter how much $$$ I have, I can not buy more time in this life.

Learned in retirement:
- Many of the projects I had saved for retirement were no longer within my physical and mental abilities (sold all the hobby cars & motorcycles, rather than restore them)
- Slower pace = fatness, changed diet for better health.
- DO NOT wait to do things, there is no tomorrow.
(Always wanted to spend a Summer in Alaska - 2019 - done!)
Most of the guys that I saw kick it/passed away because they stopped working. It was almost as though they lost purpose or the quick pendulum shift from going 100mph to 0mph took its toll. Either way I think you need to have a plan for retirement to stay active physically, mentally (gym, run, work out, yard/house work, hobbies). Just occupying a couch is a nonstarter and probably wouldn't fair well especially if you enjoy the fray. Just my .02

This post is really making want to retire now... I haven't seen a good solution where health insurance doesn't bankrupt you before all your years and years of medicare payments kick in.

Retired at 61. My National Guard pension and specifically access to TRICARE made it a no brainer. Sold the house north of Atlanta and bought newish house with stocked pond and acreage in middle GA. Closer to kids and grandkids plus "escape from Atlanta". I figure I have only so many years of health for active retirement to enjoy before I just sit on the front porch all day. Corporate America will just consume you.

I did 20 years in the military and between the military and the VA I make enough to live on in retirement. Albeit in someplace I don't actually want to live. $70,000 a year seems like a ton until you try to actually retire on it.

I'd like to buy 40 acres and build a house on it by myself. I have some money but not a ton.

We have young children, 6, 8, and 10 and a 24 year old who has given us 3 grand children.

My wife homeschools, she is a certified teacher. So she cost us about $40-70,000 a year in lost income. But our kids aren't brainwashed.

The odds are I will spend the next 25-30 years working.

My peer reviews on retiring early do not have good success.

My father in law became a house flipper and built himself a rental property kingdom. So he has 3 houses he doesn't live in, and he rents them out. They are paid for and this is his income. But he hasn't spent a day in an office in 25 years and doesn't own a tie or a suit. They bounce back and forth between a condo in Hawaii and their very small house in California. Their version of retirement wouldn't suit me.

My father was in law enforcement for 30 years, got injured in his late 50's and has been on workmans comp for 25 years. He has been sitting on the couch since 2000. First because he was injured and milking it. Then because he just didn't feel like it. He is 100 pounds over weight and I don't fee like he lives at all.

Currently in my 50's I can get around, I can hunt, I can travel I have money for life and quite a bit of excess with quite a bit of investing.

Randy Newberg did quite a bit on this. But the bottom line is I plan on keeping working until I can't physically do it.

there is another one but I can't find it.

Keeping working, keep having fun, die when you die and don't regret a thing.

Two guys I knew personally were close to early retirement (mid-50s) died recently. One was into extreme sports and tough as a nail, unfortunately his very toughness made him insensible to the early signs of the cancer that killed him. The other used to brag that he made more money each year in his 401k then he did in salary, but ended life just short of the finish line with an aneurysm.

Having said that, I was listening to a radio interview of the author of Nomadland, about people who live mobile lives. She said the worst thing about writing the book was meeting an unexpectedly large number of previously-but-no-longer-retired widows in their mid-to-upper 70s.

Pension funds became insolvent in corporate bankruptcy settlements and both payments and cost-of-living adjustments were down-regulated, houses were sold when large bills associated with hubby's passing cropped up, land and other saleable possessions got tied up in probate, etc., etc., etc. Women who'd thought they might impose on their children for their final years found their children imposing on them or the children themselves living precariously.

These aged women ended up living out of truck campers, bouncing between state park camp sites and BLM land, working temp jobs during holiday season for a hand-to-mouth life, and barely able to function, body or mind. Many of them had lived longer than they had expected to. None of them had a magic $500k escape plan on tap.

So, maybe you should retire immediately and tell your old lady to get back to work! I'm sure that will go over well.

My conundrum is that I turn 66 in about 2 months and can still do 100 push ups (in a row) and my BMI is perfect as is my blood pressure, resting heart rate, and all other critical factors. My Medical Practitioner told me not to come back for a check up for a year. I have spent decades pushing away from bad food and keeping at my health and fitness even though I have had to rise at 4:30 - 5:00am to do that. My former employer decided that since I can foot race my 40 YO coworkers around the premises and kick their asses and also can arm wrestle them into submission I'm cool and dandy to do full on Installation in new construction that involves kneeling on concrete, crawling and working under tables, hauling/climbing ladders and moving cable and supplies, and working "till we say you can go home" on a salary.

Trying to resist this abuse of a Technician (Electronics Engineer) gets me nothing but being called a pussy. So I rage quit and retired 3 weeks ago and highly recommend that anyone who has their ducks in a row mentally, physically, financially, and spiritually tell the multi millionaire corporation owners to *SUCK IT!* I made ya'll millionaires with my talent and hard work. I'm tired now and well supplied with savings and retirement income. I'm not gonna go crawl on concrete and destroy my retirement/Life 'cause I got shit to do now instead of dragging my ass out at 5 am. I got music to record (musician) and a house to fix up. Knives to make and bikes to ride. I got dreams and things to do that make *ME* enriched. I don't need a fucking job and I'm tired of kissing ass to put food and health care on the table.

I'm retired and I hope the Boss chokes trying to replace me. Finally waking up at a decent hour without anxiety about sucking Boss dick or complying to 21st century clients unreasonable demands and unrealistic expectations. I did my time. Good luck replacing me...need some help? I'll be at The Range *every* Thursday. Come on down and ask me for help.

VooDoo

This whole concept is rampant in America now since Covid and all the Politics/Stolen Elections and associated bullshit. Many of US old farts with years in have decided it's better to quit now and enjoy at least some time put towards our Lives and not being wage slaves. I did my time - I scrimped and saved and worked multiple jobs and so have *millions* of folks and we have "enough" to not have to put up with Bosses and "entrepreneurs" who seek to get rich, have been getting rich on our commitment and job ethic.

I'm over it and militant. I'm retired with prejudice. I'm fit and solid financially and could easily go another 30 years doing *whatever the fuck I want* within reason and not ask permission nor submit to unreasonable requests and demands from people I have made rich. and there are literally millions like me. Labor shortage my ass. We have alienated millions of workers who were doing the jobs but now have decided we will withdraw our skills and live on our merits and savings. It's literally rampant in America at this time.

VooDoo

My conundrum is that I turn 66 in about 2 months and can still do 100 push ups (in a row) and my BMI is perfect as is my blood pressure, resting heart rate, and all other critical factors. My Medical Practitioner told me not to come back for a check up for a year. I have spent decades pushing away from bad food and keeping at my health and fitness even though I have had to rise at 4:30 - 5:00am to do that. My former employer decided that since I can foot race my 40 YO coworkers around the premises and kick their asses and also can arm wrestle them into submission I'm cool and dandy to do full on Installation in new construction that involves kneeling on concrete, crawling and working under tables, hauling/climbing ladders and moving cable and supplies, and working "till we say you can go home" on a salary.

Trying to resist this abuse of a Technician (Electronics Engineer) gets me nothing but being called a pussy. So I rage quit and retired 3 weeks ago and highly recommend that anyone who has their ducks in a row mentally, physically, financially, and spiritually tell the multi millionaire corporation owners to *SUCK IT!* I made ya'll millionaires with my talent and hard work. I'm tired now and well supplied with savings and retirement income. I'm not gonna go crawl on concrete and destroy my retirement/Life 'cause I got shit to do now instead of dragging my ass out at 5 am. I got music to record (musician) and a house to fix up. Knives to make and bikes to ride. I got dreams and things to do that make *ME* enriched. I don't need a fucking job and I'm tired of kissing ass to put food and health care on the table.

I'm retired and I hope the Boss chokes trying to replace me. Finally waking up at a decent hour without anxiety about sucking Boss dick or complying to 21st century clients unreasonable demands and unrealistic expectations. I did my time. Good luck replacing me...need some help? I'll be at The Range *every* Thursday. Come on down and ask me for help.

VooDoo
What do you eat on a daily basis?

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Right there with you guys, I turn 65 soon and I’m gonna be done with the job I’m doing now and retire. The construction industry is just full of shit now days from top to bottom and I’m way past sick of it. Lead times have tripled, COVID policies, liberal BS is pervasive through out. And for that reason I’m out. Soon.

I'm 9 years out from being eligible at age 50 with a decent pension, then guard retirement at 59, and 2 other forms of monthly income I will be receiving without touching my 401k. I use to think I'll go at 60 then 55 and now I'm leaning to going at 50. I've been around too many people die too young recently and it's changing my outlook on things. I don't need the extra 500k to be happy.

I'm 9 years out from being eligible at age 50 with a decent pension, then guard retirement at 59, and 2 other forms of monthly income I will be receiving without touching my 401k. I use to think I'll go at 60 then 55 and now I'm leaning to going at 50. I've been around too many people die too young recently and it's changing my outlook on things. I don't need the extra 500k to be happy.
Extra $500k? Wow. Some here would be happy to have $500k as I’ve seen some on these very boards go into retirement with less! What is it that you do?

$55K over 9 years is about $500K of "lost" income if he retires now?
Well, he said in 9 years he would be eligible and am guessing he is talking about retiring then vs. 59, in which case you might be right. But I’m looking at this as $500k in savings of some sort, not earned income. For example, if you make $55k, using your example, you may earn $500k over that period but that doesn’t exactly count to me. Why? Because first off you got to pay the tax man a godly chunk of that, so in reality that becomes maybe $400k and of that $400k over those years you might be able to save a quarter of it, so $100k. And most people won’t even be able to save that much. Most people put back less than 6% if I recall correctly. I guess I’m just confused as to what people are doing that literally have less than $500k in their 401ks and are retiring with no other form of money coming in? Are they counting on social security to make up the difference? I just don’t see how a 401k with that little money in it is going to last very long, especially these days. Hell let’s say you retired with $450k, car goes down and bam you got to spend $50k on a new one. There is a huge portion of your savings gone. Then that house you been living in for 27 years now needs a new roof, there is another $20k. Now in a matter of weeks you’ve lost 1/6 of your entire savings. Market starts doing somewhat bad and you might be down another 1/6. I just don’t see how people are doing it.

Now if you got 20 years of service and some income coming in from that, then some money from the guard and then 20 years of service as a firefighter or something like that set up then yes you got it made. But I suspect most people don’t have that.

What do you eat on a daily basis?
Simple, simple food. I avoid high fat foods like beef and instead eat lots of fish, chicken and turkey. We eat lean high protein meals and few (none any more) carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, or bread - no gluten as my Wife had rectal cancer 10 years ago and her System does not tolerate gluten/wheat products. So I started eating gluten free to keep it out of the house and discovered a myriad of little issues were cured for me. Flatulence, swollen joints, water retention, minor headaches, coughing. I think a lot of people might be surprised if they stopped eating all the GMO wheat products.

We eat a lot of fresh produce - tomatoes, beans, squash, seeds, nuts, fruit and such are the only carbs we normally consume. That and I am a workout whore with bike riding, stretching, and weight training in my Gym in the basement. A basic everyday supper at our house is turkey, black beans, and squash. Or ground chicken burgers (no buns) and assorted steamed veggies.

I'm also a huge proponent of intermittent fasting and it's not uncommon for me to go 3 days with water only. Lots of great studies out there about the benefits of *not* eating every 4 - 6 hours including greater awareness and mental acuity and more energy. The best weight training sessions I have ever had were in a fasted state. Riding a bike 20 miles in Summer heat while fasted for over 12 hours is euphoric and the rush lasts for hours. Great way to control one's weight and body composition and control appetite and fitness.

VooDoo

Simple, simple food. I avoid high fat foods like beef and instead eat lots of fish, chicken and turkey. We eat lean high protein meals and few (none any more) carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, or bread - no gluten as my Wife had rectal cancer 10 years ago and her System does not tolerate gluten/wheat products. So I started eating gluten free to keep it out of the house and discovered a myriad of little issues were cured for me. Flatulence, swollen joints, water retention, minor headaches, coughing. I think a lot of people might be surprised if they stopped eating all the GMO wheat products.

We eat a lot of fresh produce - tomatoes, beans, squash, seeds, nuts, fruit and such are the only carbs we normally consume. That and I am a workout whore with bike riding, stretching, and weight training in my Gym in the basement. A basic everyday supper at our house is turkey, black beans, and squash. Or ground chicken burgers (no buns) and assorted steamed veggies.

I'm also a huge proponent of intermittent fasting and it's not uncommon for me to go 3 days with water only. Lots of great studies out there about the benefits of *not* eating every 4 - 6 hours including greater awareness and mental acuity and more energy. The best weight training sessions I have ever had were in a fasted state. Riding a bike 20 miles in Summer heat while fasted for over 12 hours is euphoric and the rush lasts for hours. Great way to control one's weight and body composition and control appetite and fitness.

VooDoo
For people who aren't in shape something to work up to.

I would not recommend fasting and hard exertion in heat along with heavy water consumption. You are looking at potentially seeing a case of hyponatremia do to sodium levels in the blood being exceptionally low, symptoms somewhat replicate heat stroke,
  • Loss of energy or fatigue
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Headache
  • Confusion
  • Muscle spasms
  • Low blood pressure
  • Irritability, disorientation and neurological manifestations
Most people associate those symptoms with heat stroke and will prescribe more water which kills the person. Happened more than a few times at FT Benning and other installations where kids were "motivated" and over hydrated, even with eating meals. The cases that happened while I was at Benning were all fatalities (I think it was 1 or 2) but that was well after we had stopped doing the forced hydration "parties".

Just throwing this out there since Voodoo obviously has been working at it for a while and knows his thresh hold.

My wife wants us to really retire in about 6 years. She thinks that I am going to die soon (lots of exposure and some medical issues) so she wants us to have some retired time. I'm not sure I will be there by then, maybe, but who knows. I have been paying a lot into life insurance (was hoping that if I kicked it early that it would be on active duty because the benefits for her would be good) so I think she will be ok but with the way this economy is going thanks to Brandon she might need more.

For people who aren't in shape something to work up to.

I would not recommend fasting and hard exertion in heat along with heavy water consumption. You are looking at potentially seeing a case of hyponatremia do to sodium levels in the blood being exceptionally low, symptoms somewhat replicate heat stroke,
  • Loss of energy or fatigue
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Headache
  • Confusion
  • Muscle spasms
  • Low blood pressure
  • Irritability, disorientation and neurological manifestations
Most people associate those symptoms with heat stroke and will prescribe more water which kills the person. Happened more than a few times at FT Benning and other installations where kids were "motivated" and over hydrated, even with eating meals. The cases that happened while I was at Benning were all fatalities (I think it was 1 or 2) but that was well after we had stopped doing the forced hydration "parties".

Just throwing this out there since Voodoo obviously has been working at it for a while and knows his thresh hold.
Thanks for the amplification...I have literally been working for 50 years to be able to retire and resume a "real life" and the bulk of that has been watching my food intake, staying fit (mentally. physically, and spiritually) and have tried/worked at everything from meditation to martial arts, and everything in between. My folks genetically live long - into their 100's without working at it. So I decided early on that I was going to do my best to slide into old age with some really good habits. Please don't try to emulate my perspective as it is a very personal journey....one can't just live to 66 without trying to put things in order and then decide he's gonna weight train, fast, get fit, all in one shot. I do not recommend that anyone just decide to not eat for 3 days and then jump on the bike in 95 degree weather and shoot for 20 miles because it'll likely kill you as Stefan pointed out.

My point is that I have spent my *entire* Life trying to get out of the "I work for Food" ideal and get retired so I could live again. I have arrived at retirement very disciplined and lucky. I have friends who have not made it this far. My point is to do yer best to maximize your health and retirement *because* there may likely be 30 or more years for you outside the yokes of slave wages. Please don't try this at home, Kids!

VooDoo

I still try to run at least three times a week with my dog, do my pull ups, some bench work and deadlifts but I need to do more and improve on my diet! My diet sucks and is something I need to work on, but I also need the wife to get on board.
Most of my issues are resultant of the sins of my youth, having fun as a young Infantryman while having many hobbies (road racing WERA, Formula USA/CCS, AMA MX and Enduro, riding crazy horses and a bull).

bail. you won't regret it. my deal was a bit odd. out having 4 ortho surg 2nd to an auto accident. came time to go back or leave,i left. things at work were never good most of prev 40+ years but were getting progressively worse before my wreck and worse yet per folks still there that i trusted. so,i went at 641/2 instead of 66 like planned. been 10 years and zero regrets. everything was paid for,kids were pretty much set and i was ok $ wise enough to piss away more money shooting and fishing than i should. not a hint of a second thought.

There is a surge of 50+ year old retiring early - corporate America assumes we will all work until 65 (Medicare) and the surge of early retirements account for many of the job openings that cannot be filled. We warned the C suite about 8 years ago that the "silver tsunami" was coming but they did not believe it

Extra $500k? Wow. Some here would be happy to have $500k as I’ve seen some on these very boards go into retirement with less! What is it that you do?
I should be making 6 figures in retirement at age 50, but I'm trying to get out of making money my life. I've been investing since age 15 and have done well. I've maxed out a Ira since age 18 and my 401k for 14 years now and we are mostly debt free. I do some computer stuff that pays well and the wife is a nurse.

• Love
Reactions: SilentStalkr
There is a surge of 50+ year old retiring early - corporate America assumes we will all work until 65 (Medicare) and the surge of early retirements account for many of the job openings that cannot be filled. We warned the C suite about 8 years ago that the "silver tsunami" was coming but they did not believe it
Corporate America assumes you *need* the job and will work until you die (or are crippled) to get the Health Insurance and to make the house payment, pay the alimony, and try to keep up with others who have a lot more. In the last few decades, these Corporate Types have doubled/tripled/quadrupled their millions while average working people have got nada. "They" want to make sure we are begging for a job *but* some of US have saved and learned and earned. My RIF (Retirement Income Fund) provides me a bunch of cash now in retirement and it's a result of my own initiative and investing long term.

Corporate America (and our Government and Politicians) want/need desperate folks who will do *anything* to keep their jobs. For many factors including the fact the we (US) pay multiple times the going rate for health care options and have no way to cover health care without our employer subsidizing it. We need that job because we need that health insurance *or* we could be literally wiped out financially by a ruptured appendix or a mate who has Cancer without that insurance which I paid $1200 a month for during the Covid layoff on COBRA. Are you fucking kidding me? $1200 a month or take the chance you won't fall down the stairs scooping the snow and need $200K worth of surgery and care.

Corporate America is not getting the fact that many of US have scrimped and saved and worked multiple jobs to pack the Retirement Income Funds and invested wisely. And now? We. Are. Done. Can't bully me anymore. I'm not gonna make my Owner/Operator rich anymore on my skills and work ethic. He's the fucking uber rich entrepreneur. I'm sure there is a 23 YO out there who will work for 1/3rd of what I was getting because his Family needs that healthcare and the sub standard living wage. He's a smart mother fucker and worth millions I provided for him with my labor, skills, ethic, and long term pounding the pavement for his investment.

He'll be fine without me. Hope he fucking chokes.

VooDoo

I'm 4 years out from retirement, so can't really offer advice about the experience. But we are well positioned for it.

What I can say is that 3 years ago I went to the Dr's for a sinus infection, and two weeks later was told I had a tumor in my head that was inoperable. I sought a second (well, third actually) opinion, and found a surgeon that felt they could remove said tumor with "minimal" residual damage. 6 months of prep and insurance BS, and four surgeries (one a 14 hr long brain surgery) and it was done. I know I died at least once during the whole thing, and I gather from comments from the Neuro ICU staff that it happened more than once. I was pretty doped up after they cracked my skull open to get about half of it out before I started wavering on the edge, and they called it good enough and backed out. The remaining tumor hasn't grown anymore since, but it is a constant thought in the back of my mind when I ponder the future, grandkids, aging parents, etc.

If you can retire, have the money, and have things to keep you busy...I'd think long and hard about what I've just stated. Life is fleeting, time is short, and you never know when you may have to make that calm, deliberate, acceptance that you may not survive a medical procedure, and that life could be pretty much at its end. Not because it's about you, but because you see the absolute horror in the faces and eyes of your family as you deal with that, and they have to watch. Make sure you have some good times they can remember, should that happen, or when you time does come. I don't mean to come across as melancholy or alarmist; merely realistic. The job is a job, but family...well, they deserve better than the job. Your time is valuable, especially to your loved ones.

Life is short. Remember that.

I should be making 6 figures in retirement at age 50, but I'm trying to get out of making money my life. I've been investing since age 15 and have done well. I've maxed out a Ira since age 18 and my 401k for 14 years now and we are mostly debt free. I do some computer stuff that pays well and the wife is a nurse.
What kind of money are you making? Us ordinary people ain’t maxing out no IRAs and 401ks. What’s the max on a 401k now, like $20k almost? I forget the max number. Max in Roth is what $6500? What do you do for a living?

What kind of money are you making? Us ordinary people ain’t maxing out no IRAs and 401ks. What’s the max on a 401k now, like $20k almost? I forget the max number. Max in Roth is what $6500? What do you do for a living?
We're an ordinary family. Have never lived in debt except for a mortgage and always paid everything off. Typically drive older vehicles though we splurged a bit the past few years. 401k went to $20500 this year and IRA $6000 for us under 50.

Retire and do what you want to do, not what you have to do. Trading a few more years that you will never get back for some more $$$ seems like good idea until your health has a blip, then you feel like a supreme idiot. We trade days for $$, not considering that our days are numbered and zero days will be added.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
We're an ordinary family. Have never lived in debt except for a mortgage and always paid everything off. Typically drive older vehicles though we splurged a bit the past few years. 401k went to $20500 this year and IRA $6000 for us under 50.
I’m with you, but there is no way I could put back $26500 a year. If I didn’t have to pay taxes, sure. But I’m out here busting my ass working 100hrs a week at times for an ok salary, but imo, it’s not crap when you account for the hours. I’m not even sure I could do what your doing if I made over $100k a year.

I’m in the same boat. Hoping that the next opportunity I have to act a bit cranky and dumb I do the smart thing...