• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

rifle build ideas

burgessb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2010
in the woods
hey guys i know i am limited in calibers but i picked up a rem 700 short action with small bolt face at an auction recently.

thinking about acquiring good parts and sending to beanland or kampfeld for assembly.

i already have a 300 whisper.

any suggestions for a caliber??

i know 223 is obious but i just wanted some feedback. thanks

I'd vote for the 223 with a 1:7 twist. You could get by with an 18" barrel but a 20 incher would balance better.

Just my opinion based on how well my Mann device (Remington 700 action and 1:7 Kart barrel) shoots. Of course my barrel is too thick to have any type of forearm or stock past the chamber. Don't need go that exotic.

But it shoots 80 & 90 gr bullets as well as 52-55 grs.

Mann%20in%20stock.JPG

Last edited:
You cant go wrong with 223, availability of ammo is a big concern even if you are reloading, you still have to get brass. If you want to go with something that uses a 308 bolt face, I have seen plenty of rem 700 short action bolts on ebay, you could get a 308 bolt face, and probably sell your 223 bolt for the same amount.

My personal favorite is 223 with 1:7 or 1:8 twist and 28 inch barrel, works great out to 600 yards. (havent tried it farther than that).

also not sure about how to figure out the date on this action. it seems to be old beacuse the serial number is 3152. no letter?
any help will be greatly appreciated