• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle carrying backpack

Covertnoob5

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    SoCal
    Hey guys, what backpack are you guys using to carry your rifle in? I'm talking about more tactical style bolt guns like an AI, DTA, or chassis system. If anyone could post pics that would be great! I'm looking for something I can use for hunting. Thanks!

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

I have an Eberlestock F4NT. It's one of the most comfortable packs I've used and I got lucky grabbing one before the price rise (Gotta love that APO shipping). I've found that if you're carrying a small rifle, it will fit comfortably down the front of the pack right behind your back (my 20 inch tikka fits well), but if you have a long gun, it will need to go outside the pack as the compartment that runs right behind your back is slim. I use a bow boot and a strap for the longer rifles on the outside of the pack, with a thin cover on the rifle. I can put a pic up in a week when I'm back home again.

I use an Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 and it rocks. It's very comfortable and well made. Just a tiny bit heavier than I like but it's not bad.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1364.photobucket.com\/albums\/r740\/Karlslovenski\/Mobile%20Uploads\/2017-03\/F3BBE918-9493-4BDF-A188-12E680D072DC_zpsysa9xsyi.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    Here is a 16" AI in a Eberlestock Sorry didn't mention its the Secret weapon 34 series.

Last edited:
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1364.photobucket.com\/albums\/r740\/Karlslovenski\/Mobile%20Uploads\/2017-03\/F3BBE918-9493-4BDF-A188-12E680D072DC_zpsysa9xsyi.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    Here is a 16" AI in a Eberlestock Sorry didn't mention its the Secret weapon 34 series.

WOW! That's impressive. How comfortable is that for long distances though? That pack seems more like an everyday backpack.

I use a gunslinger 2. Great for the range and the one match I participated in. It is a little heavy. Not sure it would be my first choice for hunting if you plan on hiking a lot.

Hey guys, what backpack are you guys using to carry your rifle in? I'm talking about more tactical style bolt guns like an AI, DTA, or chassis system. If anyone could post pics that would be great! I'm looking for something I can use for hunting. Thanks!

70de36baabbc3874e10781786cdb148f.jpg
    1c3b7aa208c747df5ba9ae19e8a34d12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use an Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 and it rocks. It's very comfortable and well made. Just a tiny bit heavier than I like but it's not bad.

What type of rifle do you carry in it?

Don't have any pics but I've used an Eberlestock X3 Lo-Drag for several years now at matches and as a range bag. Very comfortable and light weight.

Take off the can and this fits into just about and book bag. And Covert the S34 has a thin rigid barrier between the firearm for comfort nothing I have matches it

https://eberlestock.com/F1-Mainframe.htm

I use this system, after having the G3 Phantom, G4 Operator, Gunslinger and the Mystery Ranch (which I still own and use)

This the most versatile system I have ever used. This picture shows it carrying the following very comfortably:

AXMC 20" 338 with Atlas
    Sling
    Swaro 15x56 Binocular
    RRS TVC 34 Tripod
    First Aid Kit
    Tab Rear Bag
    Reasor Game Changer
    food/drink for a day
    extra 20 rds 338 ammo
    Para Cord
    extra pack straps
    Gortex shooting mat
    Mono pod
    Multi Tool
    GPS

I can use all or just one part. I pack the AXMC inside the duffle sucked into the frame, or the scabbard for my Blaser hunting rig. Carrying the AXMC butt down folded really helps weigh distribution, making it very easy to carry. That just did not work well for me on the larger tactical Scabbard packs.

This what I have combined with the F1 pack frame (which easily packs out a boned deer or trip or 2 for a good Elk)

http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/mer...&Store_Code=E1&Product_Code=F2&Category_Code=
    http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/mer...ore_Code=E1&Product_Code=LP1&Category_Code=TP
    http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/mer...re_Code=E1&Product_Code=A1SP&Category_Code=AC
    http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/mer...re_Code=E1&Product_Code=J2DB&Category_Code=AC
    http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/mer...tore_Code=E1&Product_Code=A2LS&Category_Code=

Attachments

• photo52293.jpg
      photo52293.jpg
      105.4 KB · Views: 589
    [video]https://eberlestock.com/F1-Mainframe.htm[/video]

I use this system, after having the G3 Phantom, G4 Operator, Gunslinger and the Mystery Ranch (which I still own and use)

This the most versatile system I have ever used. This picture shows it carrying the following very comfortably:

AXMC 20" 338 with Atlas
    Sling
    Swaro 15x56 Binocular
    RRS TVC 34 Tripod
    First Aid Kit
    Tab Rear Bag
    Reasor Game Changer
    food/drink for a day
    extra 20 rds 338 ammo
    Para Cord
    extra pack straps
    Gortex shooting mat
    Mono pod
    Multi Tool
    GPS

I can use all or just one part. I pack the AXMC inside the duffle sucked into the frame, or the scabbard for my Blaser hunting rig. Carrying the AXMC butt down folded really helps weigh distribution, making it very easy to carry. That just did not work well for me on the larger tactical Scabbard packs.

This what I have combined with the F1 pack frame (which easily packs out a boned deer or trip or 2 for a good Elk)

[video]http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E1&Product_Code=F2&Category_Code=[/video]
    [video]http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E1&Product_Code=LP1&Category_Code=TP[/video]
    [video]http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E1&Product_Code=A1SP&Category_Code=AC[/video]
    [video]http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E1&Product_Code=J2DB&Category_Code=AC[/video]
    [video]http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E1&Product_Code=A2LS&Category_Code=[/video]

Detroit, this is actually pretty much what I'm looking to pack is an axmc 300WM 20" barrel. Just need to carry the bare essentials. Did the axmc not fit in the scabbard?

The scabbards are not wide enough to carry folded butt down. You can and I have, but you are not using the last 6 inches or so of the scabbard, so you may as well not fold the stock. With the above system you can simply carry it strapped to the F1 frame, in the bag or between the transformer pack and the F1.

Carrying butt down folded of the F1 frame really lowers the weight of the AXMC to a very manageable position. I used a G3 for 2 years muzzle up muzzle down for many miles and then this F1 setup this last year and will never go back. G3 and G4 with the AXMC is too top heavy either way for me especially through difficult potentially hazardous mountain environments.

If you really want minimal just buy the F1 and the transformer pack or just the fanny pack.

I carry it all to a base camp and then carry just the rifle and fanny pack or the F1 / transformer / rifle setup. Very modular and very secure. Also, I only zip one half of the bag, roll it out to one side and sit on iit instead of the snow and lean against the frame for a nice seat with my AXMC in front of me.

Attachments

• photo46368.jpg
      photo46368.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 360
    I bought a Hazard 4 Evan Smuggler for my folding MPA in TL3 Bighorn and 26 inch braked med Palma barrel

I have a GSII and its fine for carrying my rifle and stuff from the car to the line.

The actual suspension system seems small for my build. Ive got a few extra pounds on me but chest is bigger than waist, I'm not a total mess. I just think the Vietnamese guys sewing them fit them to themselves.

A Mystery Ranch or something like that is going to be a much better carrier but I really like the scabbard.

If I had it to do over Id look at the AI Maverick 41 Bags that Mile High carries. I suspect though the same Vietnamese guys are making them.

Is this strictly for day hunting or backpack hunting and will you be packing meat out or can you get a vehicle to it? Regardless when it comes to load bearing the best packs made the heaviest weights bearable and regular weights feel good. Despite good competition I still put Kifaru at the top of the heap for a bomb proof load bearing hunting pack. Lots of ways to strap a rifle to a pack so you'll have to check out models and accessories.

Reactions: SRSDriver
    Is this strictly for day hunting or backpack hunting and will you be packing meat out or can you get a vehicle to it? Regardless when it comes to load bearing the best packs made the heaviest weights bearable and regular weights feel good. Despite good competition I still put Kifaru at the top of the heap for a bomb proof load bearing hunting pack. Lots of ways to strap a rifle to a pack so you'll have to check out models and accessories.

It would be for Day hunting only, but I would have to pack meat out a couple miles as the area is not accessible by vehicle.

Guys, check out Vorn backpacks from Norway. Vorn.no
    Great hunting backpacks in three sizes. Probably the fastest way to get your rifle. Have one and it is great.

I have looked at the Vorn. Do you know if they are wide enough at the base to fit a folded AXMC with a full size tactical scope?

Just to throw out something different, I use a Badlands Superday pack. It will carry a rifle or a bow and is very comfortable. I also like that the rifle is carried barrel up so I have less chance of having it dig into the ground if I slip on rough terrain.

I have a GSII and its fine for carrying my rifle and stuff from the car to the line.

The actual suspension system seems small for my build. Ive got a few extra pounds on me but chest is bigger than waist, I'm not a total mess. I just think the Vietnamese guys sewing them fit them to themselves.

A Mystery Ranch or something like that is going to be a much better carrier but I really like the scabbard.

If I had it to do over Id look at the AI Maverick 41 Bags that Mile High carries. I suspect though the same Vietnamese guys are making them.

If anybody here has the Mav 41 I would like to see detailed pictures with the AXMC. I have looked online and cannot find anything helpful.

Guys, check out Vorn backpacks from Norway. Vorn.no
    Great hunting backpacks in three sizes. Probably the fastest way to get your rifle. Have one and it is great.

I just looked at the Vorn pack. The system looks very interesting no doubt. Wondering if I can pair this with an F1 mainframe?

Detroit, since you have extensive time with an F1 what would you think about that pairing?

I just looked at the Vorn pack. The system looks very interesting no doubt. Wondering if I can pair this with an F1 mainframe?

Detroit, since you have extensive time with an F1 what would you think about that pairing?

My only question really is whether the Vorn is wide enough for the AXMC. That is why I like the F1 and the Transformer pack, no width limitation and the Rifle is secure, weight low.

I also use the Eberlestock dragbag, excellent

Reactions: aishooternz
    I have the Kifaru Mountain Rambler, it has a scabbard you can stow away under the main bag when not in use. The Kifaru frame system is super comfortable even under heavy load. The pack has a meat shelf system as well that works great carrying boned out meat.

What do you think of the Hazard 4 Overwatch?

[video]https://www.hazard4.com/overwatch.html[/video]

I'm currently using a X3 lodrag but I prefer muzzle up carry and I need a little more space for gear.

I actually have one of their sling bags. I use it for general purpose stuff and traveling. I am impressed with the quality. And that overwatch does look interesting but I don't think it would be very good for hunting. Weapon access doesn't look very quick. For general weapon carry though I could see it working.

It would be for Day hunting only, but I would have to pack meat out a couple miles as the area is not accessible by vehicle.

Based on this post Id prioritize the meat hauling capability and the rifle packing would be secondary.

Kirafu and Mystery Ranch seem to cater to guys that go in somewhat light than come out with 6 feet of Elk antlers sticking out everywhere.

A rifle can be lashed in any old way and make it work but dragging bloody meat strapped to the outside of your pack, falling all over the place, would kind of blow and if you are in bear country maybe you will be looked upon as a meatsicle.

Kifaru International for sure.

They have a bunch of set ups for sure the most concealable would be the Nomad.

Kifaru.net

Attachments

• photo52627.jpg
      photo52627.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 559
    • photo52628.jpg
      photo52628.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 512
    Think this way... do you "need" to carry something in a "heavy pack"..

For those that have traveled with essentials, a long ways... the answer is ALWAYS.. ounces matter. Mall ninja? Not so much.. your base weight can slow you down so much it is not funny...

Get a 6-7 lbs empty pack, that is a bad start unless you are MAll certified, or going from the truck to the range....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: cbrslider
    Think this way... do you "need" to carry something in a "heavy pack"..

For those that have traveled with essentials, a long ways... the answer is ALWAYS.. ounces matter. Mall ninja? Not so much.. your base weight can slow you down so much it is not funny...

Get a 6-7 lbs empty pack, that is a bad start unless you are MAll certified, or going from the truck to the range....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea I agree. I only take the essentials when hunting and leave the rest at camp. When you get to packing out 100+ lbs of meat any extra weight on your back adds up quick.

You should really take a look at Kifaru. I had two Eberlestock packs then tried one of these out as I'm here in Denver nearby the store and the frame is 10 times what the frame is in an Eberlestock.

That looks nice! What pack is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a London bridge aid bag. I have one, it's a decent aid bag, big as shit but the shoulder straps are a joke, you can see his are taped to keep them from pulling out. It also rides low so it sags all the time. I leave it in a truck.

It's a London bridge aid bag. I have one, it's a decent aid bag, big as shit but the shoulder straps are a joke, you can see his are taped to keep them from pulling out. It also rides low so it sags all the time. I leave it in a truck.

Thanks. Yeah he finally messaged me yesterday and sent me a bunch of picks. I looked it up online and found a couple others similar to it that look a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of good opinions and I agree pounds equal pain. But when you are carrying pounds a lightweight pack will cause pain.

Kifaru duplex (tactical version with carbon stays) is heavy by itself. What I will say however is 50-60 pounds in that will carry much more comfortably than same load in a pack weighing half as much.

Also very modular system which allows you to pack in set up camp and then hunt with essentials vs hauling kitchen sink.

Eberlestock is a good place to start but if you ever compare one side by side with Kifaru or Mystery Ranch the quality of construction becomes very evident. Fit of pack is also critical to comfort and frankly most people are clueless to this. Weight should be on hips not shoulders. Properly fitted you should be able to slide your hand in between strap and shoulder. I find it difficult to adjust most packs to that degree except for Kifaru or Mystery. I think Mystery are every bit as good but I dont care for their pack configurations.

For a non frame pack Hill People is good to go but you will need to McGyver a scabbard or run the rifle lashed to the pack.

Agreed 100%. My only other complaint is that the organizational lid could be a tiny bit bigger IMO. That's where I pot most of my gear, rangefinder, binos, note pad, IFAK, etc. It gets a bit crowded. I need to invest in some extra molle pouches for my can, LRF, etc so I can reduce the load on the lid.

When hunting, I normally carry all the standard long range shooting gear, some added clothing in case the weather changes, a heavy ass tripod strapped to the side, and either my 20" 700 in XLR chassis, or my super heavy m70 (approx 17lbs) in the scabbard, and it's super comfortable. I don't generally hike too far though, only a 1/2 mile or so usually, 1 mile on occasion, but it's up a steep hill and the pack manages the load well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have been using the mystery ranch packs. They are like nothing else out there IMHO - but it's a pack first and a rifle carrier second. Only pack I have owned that had 0 discomfort the whole time I was using, for almost anything anywhere.

I have been using the mystery ranch packs. They are like nothing else out there IMHO - but it's a pack first and a rifle carrier second. Only pack I have owned that had 0 discomfort the whole time I was using, for almost anything anywhere.

What model? Like I said before I like MR and put them equal to Kifaru just have not seen a configuration I like. Curious what guys are running.

I use an Arcteryx Khard 60 with my AIAX308. Folded with a 16" barrel I can zip it up, my 20" sticks out 2"(see pic). Pack is light and carrys well. I have extra mag and ammo attached on the interior velcro. I use it in hunting situations where I need to pack in a ways before I start hunting. If I'm carrying a sporter weight rifle I use an Eberlestock Mainframe with the scabbard atteched.

Attachments

• photo53323.jpg
      photo53323.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 416
    • photo53324.jpg
      photo53324.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 375
    • photo53325.jpg
      photo53325.jpg
      83.3 KB · Views: 398
    Reactions: fungui
    I have a Gunslinger 2 and have decided to make the switch to a Mystery Ranch pack. Ordered the 3 Day Assault Pack. I find that I'm loading more into the G2 than I need and really wanted to cut weight especially if I end up doing the Mammoth Sniper Challenge. We'll see how it works out with carry a rifle.

Happy with an Eberlestock Phantom. Most versatile pack I could find for our needs.