• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle case for nosey neighbors

dbsinh2o

SSgt
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
VA & RI
Tired of getting dirty looks while loading your rifle in the car?

Here's a great "suburban camo" solution. A Fender bass guitar gig bag. They're relatively cheap, padded, and they hold up well. And no one will have a clue as to what's inside. Way more discrete than a "discrete case".

DSCN0101.jpg

Re: Rifle case for nosey neighbors

If I have a nosy neighbor getting on my nerves, I give them the bird and smile.

My nieghbor used to give me dirty looks, then I started keeping the case in the car, and carrying it in the wide open to the car, now all I notice are curtains closing.

Screw 'em.

Besides, your doing nothing wrong, and trying to hide it makes you look like your doing something wrong.

Not to mention one day someone might ask you to bust out the baseline to Ice Ice Baby or something.
grin.gif

Even with the weapon in a standard case, along with all the range goodies (which makes it pretty clear what I'm carrying), I actually like to tell overly inquisitive people it's a badminton racquet, just to see the look on their face.

Can't imagine living where neighbors would frown upon firearms........or be that sort of nosey for that matter.

A man makes his own luck in that regard......

Checking in the hotel in Albuqurque last weekend me and Tim3gun were gettting on the elevators when a pack of cougars said "that looks fun" to our stack of cases.
Tim said "we're in a band"
I said "I play the banjo"
....they asked where we were playing that night.

Only reason for disguise is if you're worried about being a burglary target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even with the weapon in a standard case, along with all the range goodies (which makes it pretty clear what I'm carrying), I actually like to tell overly inquisitive people it's a badminton racquet, just to see the look on their face. </div></div>

Do you ask them to carry your shuttlecock for you?

My neighbors have never said anything, acted weird, or otherwise. On the other hand I have terrified a few Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses when I've answered the door with my rifle slung across my chest on the three point and pistol holstered. That's what they get for interrupting my transition practicing.

I have a rifle-shaped case that came with a Thompson I bought several years ago. I can put my Carbon 15 with one mag in there and it doesn't feel any heavier than a typical solid-bodied guitar. For me, the primary reason is that I have always had a hatchback and guitar cases are a lot less tempting for would-be window smashers than gun cases.

I have a neighbor who thought that I must be in a band because I was always heading out with a couple of big black cases.

She asked if I played both bass and guitar... when she overheard me talking about shooting I think the pieces clicked and she was decidedly less "nice" to me.

About 6 weeks ago she called the cops on me for killing a rabid animal in the parking lot with my pellet rifle. I'd already called and requested animal control, they patched me over the the local PD, who informed me that it wasn't an emergency and they would be out in 2-3 hours.

She called and said "My neighbor is in the parking lot with a gun and he just killed someone's cat".

It took less than 2 mintues to get the cops there. When he saw the pellet rifle leaned against my truck and the dead racoon in front of his cruise he said "Pellet gun right? Nicer job than I would have done, we use a 410 gauge. Have a nice night"

Stupid bitch.

Ain't nothing wrong with being subtle. Trouble is when I get to the range I need roady's to help load and unload!
pavementends

RED-680-632-01-0.jpg

I carry my 1903 and my 303 Enfield to the range in cases like these. When my 1st floor neighbor found out i had guns she told me that she thought i played pool and that i was just carrying my pool sticks to the car.

I believe in currying favor with neighbors so if I need information about a misdeed done to my car I'm more likely to get cooperation. Ignoring them is better for me if I can't stand them.
Actually those I don't know don't know what to think. They see me going to and from work wearing a jacket and tie, but then also going and coming with guns wearing camo and black looking all para and cool (I hope). Maybe they think we're Team 6?
smile.gif
Okay. Probably not.
The ones who know me like me.
Some wonder if I'm gay but then my daughter shows up every other weekend and then they're confused. One is Mrs. Cravitz. One is a hot, single chick who wants to screw.
Anyway, my experience has been its better to say nothing to most neighbors, but to wave and appear friendly. Become aquainted with only one but keep even them out of your personal business. Take cookies to the new move ins or the ones you think hate you. Do not let them or passersby see your stuff; remember the lawn mower boys! And never screw any of them.

I thought rifle cases were for shipping??! I prefer to let everyone know that I open carry and there's always someone home at my house. No worries with break ins. Most people in Alaska don't mess with each others stuff because we all carry guns and aren't afraid to use them.

I have no issue now but, used to have nosey neighbors. I always wanted to have a big patch made for the side that said, "Yes, its a gun, now mind your own fucking business." I too believe in being subtle.
grin.gif

I think MAGUA said it best in reality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ain't nothing wrong with being subtle. Trouble is when I get to the range I need roady's to help load and unload!
pavement ends</div></div>

I know the feeling.

Sometimes I use a case, sometimes I just throw the rifle in the car and go. Neighbors don't much care, they all know me. Small towns are an advantage sometimes.

I feel for you guys that live in town. I'm lucky enough my neighbor and his wife are avid hunters and they never say anything.

only reason i dont like them knowing is they might rob me when im not home. other then that i dont care what they think of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no issue now but, used to have nosey neighbors. I always wanted to have a big patch made for the side that said, "Yes, its a gun, now mind your own fucking business." I too believe in being subtle.
grin.gif

I think MAGUA said it best in reality. </div></div>

That is funny shit right there. If you get the patch made get two and I'll buy one from you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a neighbor who thought that I must be in a band because I was always heading out with a couple of big black cases.

She asked if I played both bass and guitar... when she overheard me talking about shooting I think the pieces clicked and she was decidedly less "nice" to me.

About 6 weeks ago she called the cops on me for killing a rabid animal in the parking lot with my pellet rifle. I'd already called and requested animal control, they patched me over the the local PD, who informed me that it wasn't an emergency and they would be out in 2-3 hours.

She called and said "My neighbor is in the parking lot with a gun and he just killed someone's cat".

It took less than 2 mintues to get the cops there. When he saw the pellet rifle leaned against my truck and the dead racoon in front of his cruise he said "Pellet gun right? Nicer job than I would have done, we use a 410 gauge. Have a nice night"

Stupid bitch. </div></div>

That's funny...

It always amazes me when checking into hotels that people will walk straight up and ask what's in my Pelican cases. I just stare at them until they go away or, if they have luggage, ask them what's in their luggage. Nicer than "screw you, go away" but with the same effect. Of course, dealing with neighbors that you have to see repeatedly is a different matter. For my M4, I had a double tennis racket case that allowed me to break it down and carry it in and out of locations low profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

If THAT is your problem.

Your doing it wrong...

case.jpg

IMG_9908.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrsG7QwDpcw

.. </div></div>

Looks like an EDM but it isn't. Very nice. How is it for repeatability?

When I load up for a trip to the range, it looks like I'm going on an arms deal, yeah it sucks having to make the 4 or five trips back to the car to get all of my stuff to the firing line, but it makes for hours of fun in the sun. Never had any cop pull me over on he way though, wonder what he might say????

Growing up our next-door neighbor was an avid time hunter and shooter. He was always helping us with our guns. Whenever I needed help, I'd just grab the rifle in question and head next door. Pretty much everybody on the block was a hunter so nobody ever paid me any attention. Plus we knew everybody on the block well and got along. Right before I left for college, I was packing up to head to the range and some new neighbor saw me loading a rifle case into the car and asked (direct quote) "is that a basoon case?" she was horrified when I told her no it was a rifle case. Conversation pretty much ended there.

I bought my first AR while I was in college and would routinely carry it to the range and deer lease without a case. When I was moving, one set of neighbors said we're sorry you're movig out, it sure has been nice living next to a cop. They were floored when I told them I was a student and not a cop.

Ha! I got the bassoon case once. I was making an extended stay in a hotel with some co-workers, so I brought two rifles and a pistol in my Pelican. One of my female, PHD type co-workers asked what instrument I played. I said, saxaphone, cause it's true. Then she said, "Isn't that a big case for a saxaphone? I thought it was a bassoon."

As for at home. I just walk to the car. I was going shooting with a bunch of friends out in the desert one time, so I threw on my Man-jams and turban, THEN walked three ARs to the Jeep. I caught a glimpse of one of the neighbors, little old Korean lady, in her garage, peering at me from behind the steps. About 10 mins later a cop drove by...coincidence? I think not. But not harm, no foul!

All those different cases are good "low key" options, but I live in a suburban setting and just don't give a crap for what any nosey neighbors might think. I use my standard rifle cases and just go about my business. If they don't like it, not breaking any laws here, then they can just write their congressman.

A little off-topic, but I load my Jeep for range trips in the privacy of my garage....

Great idea!!
I'm not worried about nosey neighbours...if they don't like it, too bad (though in reality none of my neigbours care...they know me and are fine with it).
What I worry about is that someone else will see me loading my rifles into my car (or my cameras...I'm a photographer) and figure they'll come by some day when I'm at work and relieve me of my gear. I've had one break in a few years ago when I was at work, and though the alarm scared them off (they still managed to grab an expensive camera on my dining room table), there is still the PITA of replacing the door and such.

When I lived in an apartment, I remember carrying my MSAR STG556 down the stairs on Saturday morning at 10AM. A couple guys drinking beer asked me if I was going airsofting.. I just said "yup!" and smiled...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tired of getting dirty looks while loading your rifle in the car?

Here's a great "suburban camo" solution. A Fender bass guitar gig bag. They're relatively cheap, padded, and they hold up well. And no one will have a clue as to what's inside. Way more discrete than a "discrete case".

DSCN0101.jpg

I would think that most would pass it off as a hunting rifle case. I live in Downtown Dallas, I lug that big ol tacti-cool bag around I got on sale at CTD all the time. I get some grins that's about it.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tired of getting dirty looks while loading your rifle in the car?

DSCN0101.jpg

</div></div>

Cool idea
smile.gif

I like it. I generally just used plain, discreet nylon. I'm sure it's obvious to someone if they looked really close though.

DSCN0101.jpg

</div></div>

whats the maximum length rifle you could fit into that case?

Very nice! I read about it on the Nemesis website. Looks like a cool piece of kit.

I have a violin case that was custom made for my AR sitting at my parents house. When I get it I'll post up some pictures and his (the makers) contact info since it looks like he might start making more as a side business.

My neighbour across the street asks every year for some venison sausage from me. No problems there. My left neighbour has more guns than I do, no problem there. My right neighbour is an old lady who told me once that she loves living next to gun owners because she feels safer when going out of town. I don't care about concealing my guns.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leadontarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I load up for a trip to the range, it looks like I'm going on an arms deal, yeah it sucks having to make the 4 or five trips back to the car to get all of my stuff to the firing line, but it makes for hours of fun in the sun. Never had any cop pull me over on he way though, wonder what he might say???? </div></div>

i was pulled over for my blanker not functioning i had not known and so he let me off with a warning asked if i had anything in the truck and i told him everything and the kitchen sink took him a minute to catch on when he looked with me at the rear of his car with his partner he was surprised asked me to open them and verify shipment etc.. it made for interesting conversation.

i dont hide my weapons my neighbors are nosey but owell.

Fuck nosey neighbors! I like them knowing that I'm a gun owning man.
smile.gif

My neighbors don't even blink an eye anymore when I walk out with my uncased and suppressed 10" carbine. I throw it in the back seat and then start sliding drag bags in the rifle storage area in the truck bed. Followed by range bags and ammo cans.

"Heading to the range, again?"

"Yep."

Forget neighbors. My best experience was when I moved out here to CO. There was some high school band at the hotel we stayed at in Illinois. After my 4th trip to our room with rifle cases one of the girls staying in the room next to us said "Oh my god are those guns in there." Her teacher and class mates all got a dumbfounded look when I said " Yes and there all loaded."

Every member in my family routinely shoots out the house window, were beyond "What the neighbors think".
IMG00230-20110504-1639.jpg

I know she is still closing the left eye but she is only 5, we will get her out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every member in my family routinely shoots out the house window, were beyond "What the neighbors think".
IMG00230-20110504-1639.jpg

I know she is still closing the left eye but she is only 5, we will get her out of it. </div></div>

Great picture Jon. Tell M and the kids hello.

Wow, you've gotta be in a pretty rural area right?.... or the cops would be beating your door down by now.

I use camouflage gun cases so they can't see them.

Actually I don't care much about hiding my guns and the neighbors don't either. I live in a state with one of the highest per capita gun ownership rates, in a neighborhood full of LE and military families. Most of the time when I stop at the gas station before going out hunting in full camo get up instead of weird looks I get asked what area I'm hunting in and if it's been any good.