• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle hard cases

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
Been checking online and haven't found a hard case in the dimensions I would like. I've checked the offerings from Pelican, Storm and Plano. Are there any other manufacturers out there making quality hard cases that I've overlooked?

I would like to get a complete rifle plus two uppers in one case. The length isn't the problem (two of the uppers are 10.5"), the width seems to be the limiting factor with all of the cases I've seen. They range from 13.5" - 15" widths, I'd like to find something 18"-20" wide if there is such a thing.

Re: Rifle hard cases

Why not get a long case and put the two uppers end to end? Just play around with how they are set up in the case?

The shorter I can keep it the better it will fit in the trunk of my car which is where it will spend the majority of it's time.

SKB, in their Military lineup, offers some wider cases with an internal width of around 17.5", but prepare yourself for a BAD CASE of sticker-shock because the last ones I saw for sale (for around the 40"L models IIRC) were $400+ with foam!!

The best advice I can offer is to carefully play around with different arrangements of the items you need in the case and see what the min size you really need might be. You'd be AMAZED at how much you can fit into a short case if you plan accordingly (36-40" internal length x 14-15" internal width). I have a 26" barreled AI 300WM with a folder, fully scoped, with 4x 5rnd mags, 2x 10rnd mags, bipod, sling and other stuff in a 36" Starlight case originally designed for an M4 Carbine!

On your project, think about corner-to-corner for the full-length, assembled rifle (buttstock in one corner and the muzzle toward the opposite corner). That frees up considerable space on the top/right and lower/left "triangles" (or vice versa) of the cases for your SBR uppers. The other thing with ALL AR-type rifles/carbines is that you'd be further amazed at how much space can be saved pulling the lower off the rifle and arranging everything seperately.

This case isn't mine, but to give you an idea:

36" case with 2 uppers, lower, stock, multiple optics/carry handle, mags
15rfn20.jpg

I've done a little bit of mocking up but the third upper isn't completed yet so I can't nail down anything just yet. I was hoping there was a manufacturer that I hadn't thought of yet.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Cory take a look at this one from ICC.

#4422-BKKW Compound Bow Case With Arrow Storage
44" X 22" X 8" - 24 lbs.
A great hunt starts with your bow arriving field ready. The new 4422-BKK Compound Bow Case from ICC has an interior space large enough to accommodate the endless variety of bow sizes available on the market today.

Alan

Thanks Alan, that's about perfect in size. Gonna have to save some pennies for it.

Phylo, the Hardigg cases tend to run deeper (by a few inches) than their same sized Pelican ones. What about orienting the uppers vertically in the case instead of horizontally? It should take up a bit less room.

One advantage the Storm case has over Boyt is that they have end latches. They secure the very ends of the cases very well.

I have used the same Storm case for my spotting scope, binoculars, range finder and other spotting equipment for about 6 years now. Its beat to hell but the inside still looks new and it has help up to horrible weather conditions, people sitting on it, and being dropped A LOT.

I say go STORM case!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

15rfn20.jpg

</div></div>

Cripes, was that guy just trying to see how many different parts he could break the rifle down into? I'm surprised he left the trigger pins intact.

I ended going with the Storm case over the Pelican... I know they are made by the same group but I liked the specs on the Storm better and I couldn't be more happy with it for my Remington SPS.

storm here as well beat all to hell but still works like a champ and the latches are top notch

Between Storm and Pelican, I would recommend Storm. I have a large size in each for carrying rifles, and the thing I like about the Storm as some others have noted, is the extra latches on each end that Pelican does not have. If nothing else these extra latches give me a warm fuzzy that the case is sturdier and will maintain its seal under more extreme conditions.

Seems to me you could easily fit one complete rifle, and two shorty uppers in a large Storm case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bikemancs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phylo, the Hardigg cases tend to run deeper (by a few inches) than their same sized Pelican ones. What about orienting the uppers vertically in the case instead of horizontally? It should take up a bit less room. </div></div>

Or try multiple layers ...

dualuse.jpg

My vote is on Storm.

For durability, latches quality, and sizes...Storm is the way to go.

See if BOYT makes one to your liking. I have two full size boyt's that I got on sale @ Cabela's about 2 years ago. Love 'em. They are pigs though, @ 28 pounds when empty. Mine have 3 layers of foam, I've custom cut one of them for my SPR and it worked great to take out the center layer and slice it up.

I know they make a shorter one, i've seen it at Sports Authority locally. Be warned though, they are not cheap (not that pelicans, etc. are any better).

FYI- Cabela's has the double rifle pelican on sale for $180 and if you are a Cabela's VISA holder you can get 12 mo. no interest no payments on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heycorey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bikemancs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phylo, the Hardigg cases tend to run deeper (by a few inches) than their same sized Pelican ones. What about orienting the uppers vertically in the case instead of horizontally? It should take up a bit less room. </div></div>

dualuse.jpg

</div></div>

how did you set that up? did you cut all the way through both layers. what keeps the stuff in the top layer separated from the stuff in bottom layer?

I use an SKB double rifle case and love it. I just got back from another hunting trip and the SKB case kept everything secure and safe and was easy to roll through the airports. It's a double decker design which I like quite a bit (I bring two rifle, one a standard hunting type stock and the other in an AICS, all the ammo, knives and a sidearm and still have room to spare). After several hunting trips there's barely a scratch on the case. Plus, Amazon has them on sale for about $150 (with free shipping) right now: http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Large-Double-R...2480&sr=8-1 I paid about $200 a year+ ago, so I think this is a pretty good deal on a great case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AWZ1287</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how did you set that up? did you cut all the way through both layers. what keeps the stuff in the top layer separated from the stuff in bottom layer?</div></div>

Yep, both layers are cut all the way through. I put a thin, third layer between the other two layers to keep stuff from banging into other stuff.

HEYCOREY....

Sweet set up. My vote is for storm or pelican.

I own 2 pelicans and have been very pleased with them.

Make that 3. One holds binos and a rangefinder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heycorey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AWZ1287</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how did you set that up? did you cut all the way through both layers. what keeps the stuff in the top layer separated from the stuff in bottom layer?</div></div>

Yep, both layers are cut all the way through. I put a thin, third layer between the other two layers to keep stuff from banging into other stuff. </div></div>

ok thanks, I might have to try that. I've been trying to fit all my gear in one case so I don't have to bring multiple bags and cases to the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Detonics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With some planning and patience you can get quite a lot in them cases.

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg
</div></div>

It's cool for pictures, but stuffing cases that full is a bad idea if your primary goal is to protect the contents.

Since baggage monkeys like to "hammer throw" my pelican across the tarmac, I prefer to pack my rifle with optic attached and little else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might check the hard cases from <span style="color: #FF6666">Boyt</span>. They don't have a large variety, but the cases are tougher than the standard Storm/Pelican/Hardigg cases and have a military-type latch. </div></div>

+1 for Boyt. I have a Windrunner with a NF 12-42x56 on top and the guy I bought it from had it in an SKB case which didn't offer enough protection width-wise. I searched around and a local shop had a large Boyt case for $175. Now I have no doubt my rifle is extremely well protected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Detonics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess I'm lucky as I fly frequently and have never had a problem. </div></div>

If you are flying civilian, I am surprised your case makes it on. TSA and FAA are pretty clear about covering the open end of magazines. Maybe you have been lucky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heycorey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bikemancs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phylo, the Hardigg cases tend to run deeper (by a few inches) than their same sized Pelican ones. What about orienting the uppers vertically in the case instead of horizontally? It should take up a bit less room. </div></div>

dualuse.jpg

</div></div>

I have bought a pelican. How did you do your cut outs for fitting in the the foam?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have bought a pelican. How did you do your cut outs for fitting in the the foam?</div></div>
Place your gear on top of the foam in the pattern you want, then take a sharpie and draw an outline around each item (you can see a blue outline around the cutouts in the pic i posted). Then whip out your favorite electric knife and go to town (I prefer Cuisinart, for the discerning connoisseur). An electric knife will cut more cleanly than a regular blade.

If you want to really do it up right, you can make your own electric wire foam-cutter. Here's a widely linked to thread on the topic on <span style="color: #3333FF">arfcom</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Detonics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not Civilian
smile.gif
</div></div>

That explains it.

I have flown military and civilian many, many, many times over the years. Even the dimmest private knows that if he damages the gear contained in those cases it's going to be his ass. Weight restrictions are also not an issue. The underpaid bag-stackers at DFW don't give a rat's ass if they shatter your case. Stuff too much crap in your case and you pay out the ass.

Military charters definitely make flying with weapons easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heycorey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have bought a pelican. How did you do your cut outs for fitting in the the foam?</div></div>
Place your gear on top of the foam in the pattern you want, then take a sharpie and draw an outline around each item (you can see a blue outline around the cutouts in the pic i posted). Then whip out your favorite electric knife and go to town (I prefer Cuisinart, for the discerning connoisseur). An electric knife will cut more cleanly than a regular blade.

If you want to really do it up right, you can make your own electric wire foam-cutter. Here's a widely linked to thread on the topic on <span style="color: #3333FF">arfcom</span>.</div></div>

thats sweet i have used a skill saw and table with a fine tooth blade has worked great but think i will try this out .... thanks for the post

When I started traveling with rifles, I picked up a Storm case and cut the foam for my 20" AR. I quickly learned that when I wanted to bring my carbine or R700, I was SOL. So I picked up a soft case (so I can carry my stuff around at my destination) and never looked back. One AR and my R700 fit together - barely. I also keep a copy of "traveling with special items" from TSA's website taped to the inside of the lid for when I need to help clarify TSA's regs to their employees.

PA110001.jpg

PA110002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akflier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I started traveling with rifles, I picked up a Storm case and cut the foam for my 20" AR. I quickly learned that when I wanted to bring my carbine or R700, I was SOL. So I picked up a soft case (so I can carry my stuff around at my destination) and never looked back. One AR and my R700 fit together - barely. I also keep a copy of "traveling with special items" from TSA's website taped to the inside of the lid for when I need to help clarify TSA's regs to their employees.

PA110001.jpg

PA110002.jpg
</div></div>

That's a great idea! I've got soft cases and I've got hard cases ... and it never occurred to me to use them together.

D'oh!

regarding these cases i am looking for the foam heavy and soft foam to replace in my starlight case. i called starlight and they wanted $79 dollars too much $$$... Does any know where you can buy this form at ????

Here's what I have printed out:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

It's helpful to have with you when they give you a hard time about having loaded mags in those mag pouches on your case with the rifle in it. I use p-mags and transport them with the otherwise silly "dust cover" on top so they are completely covered. Either that or I pack ammo in it's original boxes. It's all covered in that website page.
Just make sure of your airlines' policies on ammo, etc. Most follow what the TSA says.
If I remember right, I got a lot of this from LoneWolf's website, so it's not really my idea anyway. Check that out too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

15rfn20.jpg

</div></div>

Cripes, was that guy just trying to see how many different parts he could break the rifle down into? I'm surprised he left the trigger pins intact.
</div></div>

i was thinking the same exact thing

I would love a hard case, but my rifle is seriously long, to the tune of 55 inches...i am pretty much sol

I just posted this on another thread. Check out Ziegel Engineering (ziegeleng.com). Their "bullseye" box, which I purchsed over 20 years ago, is almost "bullet proof" as far as materials, construction, and workmanship. Their website is limited for photos, but the price sheet has dimensions. They will even make "custom" to your specs.

Kevin

You could have a cabinetmaker build a case. I have made several and they were much cheaper than Pelican.