• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Mounted Range Finder

I contacted Envision directly.

Screenshot_20220121-122657.png

Take it a step further and figure out a universal in scope hud. Imagine you could do a sort of reverse tacticam thing that projects onto a lense mounted to the occular.

Safran's options look awesome. I can only assume they are going to be expensive. However I will reach out to them to see what the cost of one of their smaller offerings are. Doesn't hurt to ask.
I also reached out. I am a semi retired el engineer, experience in embedded systems, programming. We should explore collaboration

Reactions: Awag1000
So the next step in this is how does a rangefinder work? What is the method in which it operates? I know it uses infrared lasers and a computer but that's the extent of my knowledge.
The LRF sends a laser signal. It may be a pulse or a modulated signal. Regardless, the a portion of the signal is teflected by objects it encounters. The retuns are detected (usually mutiple returns) and the time between transmission and individual target reflection determine the range. The microcontroller controls all functions, from xmission (recognizes user input) to detecting reflections, doing range math, sending right data to display. Coukd very well be the same micto used innmicrowaves, other consumer goods.

Why not just 3D print a case and use the guts from a handheld? Maybe you could replace the readout internally to a screen externally.

Aiming it would be the only real challenge unless you still used the handheld system of looking through it.

Why not just 3D print a case and use the guts from a handheld? Maybe you could replace the readout internally to a screen externally.

Aiming it would be the only real challenge unless you still used the handheld system of looking through it.
Having to look through it and not just the scope defeats the entire purpose of these products. If you are going to do that then just hold one like normal

Reactions: PDXGS
Having to look through it and not just the scope defeats the entire purpose of these products. If you are going to do that then just hold one like normal
Geez Thanks Capt Obvious, but I’m not giving them the whole setup idea to make money off of.

Forgot to update with the email I got back from Maztech asking them to expand on their LRF.

Hello Luke,

The X4-LRF™ is a military-grade, eye-safe short wave infrared band multi-kilometer single-pulse laser range finder designed to attach to the X4-FCS™. Unlike commercial LRFs, the X4-LRF™ pulse is not visible with Night Vision goggles. We are unable to go into further details at this time because the LRF is still under development, many of the specs are still TBD. Near the launch of X4-LRF we will have a full spec sheet available.

Best Regards,

Maztech CS Team

Reactions: rlsmith1
At this point I almost completely ignore any company that says they are “going to” release a civilian-obtainable weapon-mounted LRF unless they have units sitting on a shelf ready to ship. The number of civilian shooters who want such a thing and would actually pay $1500-4000 for one is minuscule and these companies know that.

At this point I almost completely ignore any company that says they are “going to” release a civilian-obtainable weapon-mounted LRF unless they have units sitting on a shelf ready to ship. The number of civilian shooters who want such a thing and would actually pay $1500-4000 for one is minuscule and these companies know that.
Go be a realist somewhere else please :ROFLMAO:

But I would say times are changing. If someone can design a weapon LRF that will mate up easily to a clip on and/or scope, they will sell more than a few and that is a fact. They key seems to be disturbing the reticle which can be done in either the clip on or scope (clip on easier since it's already digital). All the weapon mounted LRF has to be able to do is give an accurate range and retain zero under recoil etc.

Companies like Revic and Swarovski are starting to put displays / disturbed reticles in their scopes so the technology is moving that way

Anything new or updates on this topic?

Asking bc in my search I found this thread and yea Wilcox is to much haha then I found this.

Last edited:
Reactions: earthquake

Asking bc in my search I found this thread and yea Wilcox is to much haha then I found this.

Probably Chinese, but for $275 I'm tempted to try.

Reactions: rlsmith1

If you're on a budget, but willing to spend money on a variable Unknown Made in China product, it might work for you? I was one of those who paid close to $1K for a SWR Radius. Unfortunately you get what you pay for, as it worked well under ideal conditions, but that was less often than not, whereas my first generation RAPTAR works, 99.9% of the time, and it was well worth the additional 3X price I paid for it.

Probably Chinese, but for $275 I'm tempted to try.
That's where I'm at, I emailed them about a warranty.

I get it you get what you pay for, I've had cheap optics gear from China, some suck then some like my cheap sig 1200? I think range finder has been absolutely abused and still works great. Same goes for my holosun red dots.

I just need inside 1k ranges and holds "zero" for coyotes and steel plates

Looks just like a 'laserworks' LFR product with a Pic. attachment to it's housing .
laserworks. The one I tested for several nights I mounted on the side of pig saddle on tripod with my nighhtrig was big piece of shit .
In the 'nighttime' the laser diode beam was worse than shit working in the best of environments.. looking at at the beam with pvs14 it was not even a fucking laser dot, more like projecting a flashlight beam pushing past 200 yrd.

I actually really glad this thread got revived. I now have access to a SLS 3D printer and now I can start taking my ideas off paper and start making them a physical object. I'm still on the hunt to find a company that will sell the modules to a civilian. As of right now that is in reality the last piece to the puzzle. -Austin

I've used the Wilcox unit, and its performance is underwelming. You can only be sure you're aiming at targets at, or near, the range you co-witnessed the LRF and your optic, unless you're using it at night. I suspect this is why most of these things never make it out of development. Why guess that you're hitting the target when you can know?
It's hard to overcome the mis-alignment between devices when you take the modular design approach to this concept.
Someone posted above about an inline design. This sounds like the way to go, but I'd question the actual need. In my mind, a stand alone device offers the most flexibility, and practical application.

Looks like I am not the only one highly interested in this.
I was actually thinking of doing some research on a commercially available laser and a commercial receiver. Build it on a bench and work out the details and the algorithms.
Next step…well building it is the issue

Looks like I am not the only one highly interested in this.
I was actually thinking of doing some research on a commercially available laser and a commercial receiver. Build it on a bench and work out the details and the algorithms.
Next step…well building it is the issue
zeroing is the issue with these having something modular and precise yet robust enough seems to be the cost barrier and the only existing modules (silencer radius) real fault.

You can only be sure you're aiming at targets at, or near, the range you co-witnessed the LRF and your optic,
That’s really not true if you cowitness them at a long distance. This is true of every single other rifle mounted laser product with a converging zero.

It shouldn't be hard to get a zeroing system incorporated in the design. Just finding a company that'll sell the range finding modules to a civilian for a relatively low cost is the really hard part.

It shouldn't be hard to get a zeroing system incorporated in the design. Just finding a company that'll sell the range finding modules to a civilian for a relatively low cost is the really hard part.
You mean a non Chinese company? Serious question.
Because I have seen several lrf modules for sale and have been tempted to try one just to experiment with.

You mean a non Chinese company? Serious question.
Because I have seen several lrf modules for sale and have been tempted to try one just to experiment with.
I refuse to give (knowingly) any money to China. The ones I've looked at have been from Germany and the United States.