• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Rifle Painting Tutorial

Re: Rifle Painting Tutorial

I see where you've shoved an earplug in the barrel, but is it necessary to tape/cover the crown as well? Would getting any paint residue or buildup on the crown affect accuracy?

I don't see covering the muzzle with tape as being necessary, I've found that as the ear plug expands it covers the crown fairly well. Even if paint does get on the crown simply wipe it away with acetone and a q-tip.

Good scheme for my Location...

This is my "go to" rifle

Rifle.jpg

Well here was my attempt.
Stock Rem 700 30-06.
Im in S. Texas and there is alot of ceder where I hunt..

pr1qf3.jpg

pr2da0.jpg

pr3jm5.jpg

My crazy artsy fartsy wife nailed this for easy to do pattern on stocks. Air brush base coat, i use duracoat for base.
Wait 20mins or so until you can handle it, buy a couple Sea Sponges from craft store...ask wife
Eyeball sponge for pattern of your likening, hit with Krylon color of choice, dab on paper to remove access paint ck pattern. Dab on stock add colors etc 5mins yer done, keep sponge for next stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnjacob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used ALUMA-HYDE® II from Brownell's?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117&title=ALUMA-HYDE~+II </div></div>

I've used it on a couple of 6004 holsters, M4 stocks, barrels, etc. It holds up pretty well, but surface prep etc is more important with it than when using Krylon. To keep Alumahyde II from flaking off, your surface must be CLEAN, slightly rough, and you're well advised to follow the instructions with religious fervor regarding ambient temp, pre-warming the parts to be painted, etc.

Krylon seems a little more forgiving, but Alumahyde is pretty tough stuff when it's properly applied.

Also, the color chart on Brownells' website is misleading. Their "coyote" is a lot lighter than it shows up on my computer - just a touch darker than Krylon khaki. And "dark earth" is pretty dark, "parkerizing gray" is lighter than I expected, "O.D. green" is closer to Marine Corps green than it is to KG Gunkote O.D. green. Of course it's possible their color mixes may have changed since I bought my last batch a couple of years ago.

This receiver was sprayed with "parkerizing gray". The barrel is a parkerized USMC M40 barrel for comparison:

M40receiver.jpg

These tutorial threads are darn good.

96C - Never used Tamiya on outside gear before but those look great. A friend of mine used to say, "mellow melts more and faster."

Same guy also said "if you paint it you are making a pledge to the rifle to give it plenty of hard usage."

Went through a period where I had to paint everything but was lucky enough to get past it with a simple 12-step program. Still retained some of my old-skool snobbishness too, until I saw a link to THESE GUYS.

Damn. Never seen anyone paint that good.

Ashooter, do you have a pic of coyote brown? I was thinking of using that. Thanks, Nick

My first time, just used the Krylon camo khaki and green and used bluestem and weeds for the pattern. I touched it up darker after the pics were taken but havent taken any new pics yet
22-2502.jpg

22-250.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnjacob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ashooter, do you have a pic of coyote brown? I was thinking of using that. Thanks, Nick </div></div>

The Crane stock in this pic was painted with "coyote brown" Alumahyde II. The carbine itself was painted with Ten Ring Precision's version of "gun kote". You can also see how the color of the stock compares to the color of the Magpul "dark earth" panels on the forend and Safariland's version of "dark earth" on the holster (not painted). Not the best pic, but I hope it helps.

Lloyd.jpg

not as good a these but it's all spray paint. take a little time to prep but you can do good work with some camo paint and time if you take it.

thegirls004.jpg

"buffy" GF painted her and she shoot this one, well i may add

thegirls001-1.jpg

"ashley" mine, needs to be redone showing some wear

thegirls002.jpg

mines a little dark but it works for me.

For those of you that don't want to apply the paint permanently, I've found that the removable Bow-Flage spray paint is VERY durable. It dries very fast (about 5 minutes) so you can change colors quickly if needed (white, brown gray, tan, black). I've found that quite useful in my area where there might be snow one day but not the next, or snow still in town but not the country. If you want to sell your rifle or your scope later (to upgrade of course) you spray it away with their paint remover, wipe it down and all is original again.

Mike

P.S. Don't forget to paint the inside of your scope covers (afetr removing them from the scope). Flip it open unpainted and it will shine like a little round mirror.

Great info in this thread. I used it to paint mine. Rustoleum "red" primer- which is red/brown, and rustoleum camo khaki and a touch of green.
Back is the savage 10FP, front is 10/22. Need a new TIS- that black really stands out.

-------edit------ I did paint the harris leg extensions as well, and it doesnt bind- I did sand them a bit with 320 grit, and painted a very thin coat.

P1010013.jpg

P1010011.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PFC FMJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a Krylon job I did awhile back.
is this rig.
SHTF2.jpg
</div></div>

Nice...

Can you tell details about painting process?
Project pics would be nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Krylon bad about wearing off under use or is it pretty durable?</div></div>

Well, what kind of durability are you looking for? Duracoat it is not.

Does it smell funny after painting the rifle? Yeah, kinda
Will it rub off in some areas after a little use? You betcha. Will it chip eventually? Uh huh.
Will cleaning solvents break it down and cause it to wipe off? Yeah, if you douse the stock in cleaning solvent, avoid that and you should be ok.

Properly preparing the surface you're about to paint is the key, do that and the paint should last a little bit longer than if you didn't. I paint my rifles because I want to, plus I don't worry if the paint is going to wear off in a few months because krylon is inexpensive and I have time to repaint it if I need to.
If you want a durable and good looking finish, krylon is not really where it's at.

If the goal is to make your rifle look pretty, then Krylon is not the best thing.

If, however, the goal is to make your rifle harder to see to potential foes, it works just fine - little dings in the paint do not detract from the effect of breaking up the outline.

And it's cheap, and easy to reapply - which means you can modify it easily when you change AOs.

Not real concerned about it, my rifles are for fun, not to sit in a safe and be taken out for show. I just didn't know if it would be an annoyance in the way of coming off on your cheek and hand when shooting.

I just think it would be fun to paint mine...

Jason

Has anyone used primer on the bare metal parts of the gun prior to the camo colors? I wonder if it would make it more chip and scratch resistant?

Excellent posts , the rifles look great , I HAVE A better idea of what I want to do now . THANKS

I will add that after the Krylon dries, hit it with some rattle can satin acrylic. Put a couple coats of that on, and after it dries lightly dust it with your main flat color. The Acrylic will have a slight sheen, but if you hit it with the flat again it goes right away. I have had good results with using the texture paint as a first coat in areas where you want more grip.
Waiting for the base duracoat to cure on my new(to me!)PSS and then it is going to get 'canned' as well!

Here are a couple of pictures of my M77 22-250 that I'm pissed off with right now. Time for this rifle to become a boat anchor. And please forgive the cheap glass, the 22-250 doesn't have enough recoil to hurt a cheap scope. Before I shot the barrel out at 2700 rounds, I was shooting sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

ETA: Now rechambered to a 308

Solid OD green base coat.
IMG_1215.jpg

Here is the finished rifle after I added some kahki to it.
IMG_1587.jpg

Excellent thread, outstanding tutorial and great info. Thanks everybody. Now I have to try to do the same on my next paint job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwichGrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey wjwill,

You keep missing that green thingy, bro. Nice group and excellent camo job. </div></div>

Forgive the green.
smirk.gif
And thanx for the comments on the camo and groups. I took it out in the feild today just to snap a cople of pictures. Good thing about my street is everyone is very pro gun and owns guns. While I was taking pictures, the cop that lives down the street from me stopped and said it looked bad ass in the grass and is going to take pictures of his when he gets off shift.

DSCI0013.jpg

DSCI0012.jpg

What if I wanted to remove all the paint? Sell the gun or etc. Can the Krylon be removed with alcohol or acetone?

Hey guys! I'm new to the post. I was wondering how do you guys attach pics along with your messages? Thanks,
R.

Money Shot, working out of S.F. now?
They'll never see you coming.

Took these pics of my M40A1 a couple of days ago.

url]
[/img]

url]
[/img]

url]
[/img]

url]
[/img]

url]
[/img]