• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rifle range doesn't allow targets shaped like a torso

If you live in San Jose. Drive time from SJC (airport) to some of the 1K ranges

45 minutes Hollister by appointment only 1100y
1:45 BLM o the first long range spot Unlimited
2:30 Coalinga
2:30 SacVally 1K
2:35 Avenal (with club member)
3 hr to SLO Rifle range 1400y

All of these options do require that you put in a bit of effort to gain access. Meaning that you can not just drive to them anytime you want. Even BLM will have closer if it doesn't rain enough.

Several other private ranges, ranches and a couple of BLM spots that are kinda kept off the radar and MUCH CLOSER

+ 100 yard Rifle ranges, 6 withing 1 hour from SJC..

Just a note as you said you were new.
Medcafe has seen it's element to people you might keep an eye on, especially during the AR craze when people were buying P-mags for $100. I think part of the uber control there had to do with the climate at the time. It is still one of the busiest ranges in the Bay Area and one of my least favored. Target Sports in Milpitas, Indoor might be the most scary.. Look on the ceiling, floors and partitions, people have to more than dumb asses to fuck up that bad, so many times.

Public ranges deal with a lot of unqualified people, some that can not even understand the range commands. As such they do have to put in rules that may seem restrictive.. I can not tell you how many people I have seen walk up (or try to) to the bench while others are down range... People hitting the dirt 50 yards from their target. I avoid them when I can.

All of these options do require that you put in a bit of effort to gain access. Meaning that you can not just drive to them anytime you want. Even BLM will have closer if it doesn't rain enough.

Several other private ranges, ranches and a couple of BLM spots that are kinda kept off the radar and MUCH CLOSER

Medcafe has seen it's element to people you might keep an eye on, especially during the AR craze when people were buying P-mags for $100. I think part of the uber control there had to do with the climate at the time. It is still one of the busiest ranges in the Bay Area and one of my least favored. Target Sports in Milpitas, Indoor might be the most scary.. Look on the ceiling, floors and partitions, people have to more than dumb asses to fuck up that bad, so many times.

Public ranges deal with a lot of unqualified people, some that can not even understand the range commands. As such they do have to put in rules that may seem restrictive.. I can not tell you how many people I have seen walk up (or try to) to the bench while others are down range... People hitting the dirt 50 yards from their target. I avoid them when I can.

He's in SF

• Wow
Reactions: Diver160651
There are some upsides to not training with torso shaped targets and instead figuring out if you can put your projectile exactly at some specific aim point.

Rectangles, Triangles, Squares, intersecting lines, + marks etc. all work well.

Reactions: lash and TACC
Well it is a public range in Cali lol.

Back when I was living in FL, I went to a few ranges in the Tampa Bay Area that didn’t allow “rapid fire” (more than one round fired every two seconds) and didn’t allow any targets that were silhouettes, faces, pictures, or anything that could even be remotely considered close to the human form. ...and that was in FL... which is pretty much a lawless swamp.
County park ranges are the same in Broward.

• Sad
Reactions: M8541Reaper
I doubt I could manage two precise hits on anything with anything (but maybe a shotgun) in two seconds.

Well it is a public range in Cali lol.

Back when I was living in FL, I went to a few ranges in the Tampa Bay Area that didn’t allow “rapid fire” (more than one round fired every two seconds) and didn’t allow any targets that were silhouettes, faces, pictures, or anything that could even be remotely considered close to the human form. ...and that was in FL... which is pretty much a lawless swamp.

Fudds gonna fudd

I shot as a guest at an Issaic Walton range a few times that had a similar rule.

No human targets as it sends the wrong message

Instead they shot tombstone shape targets, which is really nothing more than a torso with no head and no arms
Feel good Bullshit accomplishes nothing, it doesn't even make anyone feel good

My neighbor asked me about all my target silhouettes full of holes that were “human” shaped. She told me that practicing to kill people was “vile”. I promised her that I would only shoot humans that needed shooting.
Should have told her you pretended they were her

Reactions: MadDuner
All public ranges suck in their own special way.
Not if you go early enough an finish before the shit birds show up. I've a 200yd state range within 12 minutes that has separate 25, 50,100, an 200 yds When it's cold, hot, raining, snowing or just plain nasty The place is mine for as long as I want to be there. Guys at the local coffee hole I stop at prior always ask, why are you going in this. The answer is simple an always the same, the shit birds an weak stay home in this, an anyone can shoot in CoC weather. You normally don't get to pick your fight weather, but if you do, while everyone else is inside do to weather, your opportunity's abound.

??????? You win the Internet today!

They don’t allow silhouette or targets that look like people at Missouri Department of Conservation ranges either.

...and that’s in Missouri...which is pretty much a lawless, rocky forest.
Why does that remind me of the James-Younger gang? :)

Reactions: Fig
My neighbor asked me about all my target silhouettes full of holes that were “human” shaped. She told me that practicing to kill people was “vile”. I promised her that I would only shoot humans that needed shooting.
If not for warriors practicing killing people she would not likely be alive to spew her ignorance. Same with hunters, no person alive doesn't have an ancestor who survived only because of a hunter bringing them food. Yet the elites look down on the hunter, who they owe their very existence to.

Bah, Field Sports Park aka Metcalf. I shot there ONCE. Too many idiots.

@Walter Haas have you been to Los Altos rod & Gun? That's the only local range I go to. Decent folks, zero tolerance for stupid.

They allow any target that doesnt have a human face.

They even have a real time weather station on the range.
No, haven't been to Los Altos range yet but I'm sure its in my future. Takes a good hour to get there, about the same as Circle S, west of Petaluma. But part of the reason I go to Circle S is I pick up an elderly friend in his 80's in Petaluma and take him for lunch in Bodega Bay after shooting to get him out in the country for a drive. So I'm accomplishing two things going out there, but I'm definitely wanting to check out Los Altos.

Thanks, that's a good list. I keep thinking about the possibility of shooting in Mendocino forest up near Covelo.

10 or so years ago, the one near me had to ban people using leftover Obama signs (or ones stolen from neighbors). Apparently they had let it go too long and got a warning they would get a visit from the SS if it didnt stop ASAP.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
I went to a new range in San Jose, CA today and they told me they don't allow targets shaped like a torso. Part of me wants to know why and another part of me already knows why: because some fool thinks compromise is good when dealing with the liberal game of sensitivity. The fool doesn't see that sensitivity is the fake outer covering for the real game liberals are playing: malevolence toward other people's power.
my guess is you went to the Range in South San Jose, almost Morgan hill

If yes, he ban on humanoid targets happened at the County Range in the 1990's... It was the COUNTY board of Cunts that banned human type targets...

a 3x5 card up top and an 6" or 8" paper plate is fine.... no one knows its the brain box and heart shot...

It's the County.....

Reactions: Walter Haas
Grew up in the South Bay, and used to shoot often with my dad at Metcalf after we moved off our country property west of Gilroy to the surburban nightmare of Morgan Hill.

I left town in 2000, good friends stayed behind. Now I live in MN, and have a separate safe for weapons that belong to friends. They fly out for long weekends of shooting and various semi-free state activities.

Reactions: deersniper
Wyoming Antelope Club I think was the outdoor range I ran into an issue with but also there was an indoor range that did the same thing. This was back in the 2008/2009 timeframe so I might be wrong. Teneroc sounds familiar but I would have never of made that drive from St. Pete, unless it was to meet a buddy, when I could have just gone to the Manatee Gun & Archery 1,000yd range down south. I ended up just using manatee for long range days and the St Pete Police Pistol range for pistol days. Never an issue at either of those (outside of the usual incompetence of shooters at a public range).

Jesus Fuck... There's nothing Wyoming or Antelope about that place, but yep, 2 sec btwn shots and no human shaped targets "Unless sold by the club." What in the ever living fuck is that hypocritical bullshit.

Florida: Yet another state I thankfully escaped.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
That should teach you people to quit eating your range crayons.

Just turn the target around and draw a smiley face.

I hear Manatee has also turned into a shit show. Haven't been there in at least 5, maybe 6 years.

WAC isn't worth the drive for me because I'm southeast of Tampa.

Been hanging out at a range that's less than 15 minutes from here.
Still waiting on JTAC to open.
They will allow drawing, shooting on the move and more as long as you can pass the competency tests.
Bays for AR type moving and firing too.
Oh, and for rifle shooting, 2K yards.

The wait is killing me.
MacDill would be the only reason that would cause us to move back to that state. That being said, JTAC would be the only thing to look forward to. ...and I have a boat and (all of our) family there lol. Just not worth it. JTAC seems like they’re planning on doing it right. Hopefully it stays a place that aligns with their original intent over the years.

Manatee was great but hadn’t been there since 2012 or so. Heard it went from open 1k to 1k with a Qual, then no 1k and only 600 with a qual. The qual being something like showing you have a 300yd zero and can put a group into a 6” target at 300. Who knows. Apparently word is that they no longer do steel either. Caught an IG post from a PRS club down there that parted ways with them recently because the range didn’t support them using steel? Who knows. It was once a great place to shoot many moons ago.

Jesus Fuck... There's nothing Wyoming or Antelope about that place, but yep, 2 sec btwn shots and no human shaped targets "Unless sold by the club." What in the ever living fuck is that hypocritical bullshit.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup.
I hate public ranges so much.

Last edited:

The sad part about living here is that I moved BACK here when I retired from the AF.

It's only that particular county range, all others allow anything without a human face.

The local indoor pistol range will allow anything including bad guy with a gun and hostage type targets.

I went to a new range in San Jose, CA today and they told me they don't allow targets shaped like a torso. Part of me wants to know why and another part of me already knows why: because some fool thinks compromise is good when dealing with the liberal game of sensitivity. The fool doesn't see that sensitivity is the fake outer covering for the real game liberals are playing: malevolence toward other people's power.
This is FLAT OUT INSANITY! California is doing everything it can to kill off the second amendment generationally....This post absolutely is heartbreaking.....because its so utterly ABSURD.....

Reactions: Walter Haas

This is nothing new in the San Francisco Bay Area. Chabot, the best outdoor range in the area, had the same rule. I don't know if it was because they were on public land, or for insurance reasons, but it really didn't matter. If you're doing precision shooting you better be able to put the bullleets where you want them to go without depending on target shape :)

Chabot, despite enforcing the rule, I think knew how stupid it was. They had an amusing way or phrasing it in their printed rules. Something about "no human shaped targets, or ones shaped like former humans." You gotta know that at some point someone brought out one of those zombie targets :D :D

Just think of the human shaped targets fools would bring to the range if allowed.
In a 8 lane range there would have to be a rule for Left Wing target on lanes 1-8 ONLY, right wing targets on lanes 9-12.

I can remember taking my young daughter to an isolated shooting line along with her bubba boyfriend that was slapping her around. It was his picture. That wouldn't pass muster now days though.

Hey, hostage training is just a waste of your time and a gun nut's pipe dream. :geek:

It's not like some random dude had to take a head shot to avoid mass killings in a church lately or anything. :rolleyes:

In that situation there was no hostage. Even if there was, you aim where you want to hit. If you don't hit there, practice more. Besides, there are no ranges in San Jose which have moving hostage targets.

Hostage target practice.....right...

In that situation there was no hostage. Even if there was, you aim where you want to hit. If you don't hit there, practice more. Besides, there are no ranges in San Jose which have moving hostage targets.

Hostage target practice.....right...

Not sure if retarded or sarcasm. Any way. Never said there were any hostages. He didn't have a chance to take any as security shot him in the head first. The only shot he had, his words, and hostage targets train for this exact scenario. It's not as easy as "you aim where you want to hit". Adding a hostage adds stress. Most matches, like the one I shot today, penalizes you severely for hitting a hostage. Again adding stress to the situation.

This is nothing new in the San Francisco Bay Area. Chabot, the best outdoor range in the area, had the same rule. I don't know if it was because they were on public land, or for insurance reasons, but it really didn't matter. If you're doing precision shooting you better be able to put the bullleets where you want them to go without depending on target shape :)
Chabot is closed permanently. I always hated that East Bay regional Park District they have their head up their ass.
EA683C1A-CBC0-4011-88B1-CEA156632BC7.png

I have shot at indoor and outdoor ranges, public and private ranges, up and down the east coast. You can't imagine what I've been told at some of these ranges. It would make your head spin. There is 1 small 6 lane indoor range where I can go and shoot anyway I want as long as it's safe. I can shoot at any target I bring and you should see some of the targets they sell.

Grew up in the South Bay, and used to shoot often with my dad at Metcalf after we moved off our country property west of Gilroy to the surburban nightmare of Morgan Hill.

I left town in 2000, good friends stayed behind. Now I live in MN, and have a separate safe for weapons that belong to friends. They fly out for long weekends of shooting and various semi-free state activities.
You're in very good company! I learned to shoot at Metcalf with my dad in the 80's. Such great memories. At the time, there were lots of military veterans and overall good people that frequented it. We could see the quality of patronage slowly deteriorate over time, and even saw some very unsafe firearms handlers be asked to leave. I left the state about the same time you did, and my parents left not too long after. I fully appreciate living in a free state!

It's so sad; California used to be a land of rugged individualism, very friendly to firearms and outdoor enthusiasts. Now it is squarely a communist thinking wasteland. There are still nice areas to visit along the coast, but there are other nice beaches in the world too . . .

I was a copper in San Jose for 25 yrs, theres actually 2 ranges up there. The Sheriffs range and the public range down below. Saw alot of weirdo's at Metcalfe, so no surprise they only want a bullseye type target there. I used to badge my way in to the Sheriffs range so I could use their sniper pad, but after awhile they cracked down on that. I live in Montana now thank God, so I have lots of cool places to shoot.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
You're in very good company! I learned to shoot at Metcalf with my dad in the 80's. Such great memories. At the time, there were lots of military veterans and overall good people that frequented it. We could see the quality of patronage slowly deteriorate over time, and even saw some very unsafe firearms handlers be asked to leave. I left the state about the same time you did, and my parents left not too long after. I fully appreciate living in a free state!

It's so sad; California used to be a land of rugged individualism, very friendly to firearms and outdoor enthusiasts. Now it is squarely a communist thinking wasteland. There are still nice areas to visit along the coast, but there are other nice beaches in the world too . . .
Liberals aim to harm people who have power. The only reason they don’t dominate other states is because those states don’t have as much power as the coastal states do. liberalism is personal envy and revenge against others who have more power, be it social, cultural, or financial. Its a feminine force, led by feminism. All liberalism is feminism. Since revenge is by definition the intent to harm, liberalism is a force of evil, the intent to do harm. There’s always a body count, a footnote listing the people who got hurt.

I was a copper in San Jose for 25 yrs, theres actually 2 ranges up there. The Sheriffs range and the public range down below. Saw alot of weirdo's at Metcalfe, so no surprise they only want a bullseye type target there. I used to badge my way in to the Sheriffs range so I could use their sniper pad, but after awhile they cracked down on that. I live in Montana now thank God, so I have lots of cool places to shoot.
Thank you for your service! And yes, to another poster's point, many people couldn't even follow range commands. Congrats on getting to a nice place.

If they put this into law in NY that's even sicker. It shows how liberal sensitivity produces more laws, more laws = less freedom. They attack freedom too because freedom itself is potential power, its the potential to gain power and they don't want that either. This is all childish stuff which is why teenagers and young adults tend to be liberal, they sense the potential for revenge against the power that "forced" them to become civilized while they were being raised.
[/QUOTE
Just because the left, communist, national socialist democrats appropriated the word "liberal" doesn't make them liberal. Liberalism is good, it's what the founding fathers founded this country on, remember John Locke. Without liberalism we wouldn't have immutable natural rights articulated in the constitution, like the right to live through self defense i.e. 2A. I'm pretty sure Libertarians are the only friends we have. Republican Abraham Lincoln suspened habeous corpus. Ronal Reagan signed the Mulford Act that allowed the police to arrest citizens when we carried loaded guns and ruining our lives, named after republican Don Mulford. The list goes on. We are not free.

dude, great screen name. is your pic going to be

Chester Copperpot (@ChesterCopper12) | Twitter

or

Thank you Chester Copperpot... - Antsmarching.org Forums

So would they let you use whales, baby seals, kittens?

When do they get away with eliminating black dots as racist or
colored dots as homofobic?

The libtards never stop.

I suppose a target with limes, lemmons, oranges, pistachios and wallnuts
would get you tossed off the range in California.

As soon as they got it.

This is FLAT OUT INSANITY! California is doing everything it can to kill off the second amendment generationally....This post absolutely is heartbreaking.....because its so utterly ABSURD.....
Dude, it's happening everywhere. Virginia has fallen, Texas has fallen and it goes on and on. The left had their plan along time ago, let in as many immigrants as possible and convince them to eventually vote for constitution hating democrats. Thanks to the two big political partys, the door was left open too long, you can't fight the numbers, Trump will be the last non democrat president.

Reactions: W54/XM-388