• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rifle zero 300Win mag

mik233

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2017
OREGON
Sorry if posted in wrong place.

Recently traded for a weatherby in 300wm, This will be my new long range rifle for hunting & target shooting for now. (College kid can’t afford a new gun all the time)
I’m unsure on what zero I should have the gun set up at. Normally I zero at 100 yards on my other rifles ( 308,AR-15, another 300 ect) but this is my first time really venturing to longer ranges so I’m unsure on if maybe 200 yards would be better.

Optic is a 4-16 viper HSLR sitting on a EGW 20 moa base.
24 inch barrel
most likely gonna shoot 185 VLD’s or ELDx’s

I can get out to 1K yards nearby so I eventually want to Work my way to that with my new optic.
Any input would be great, still new to all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I zero mine at 100 yards and with 215 Berger Hybrid's its 7.2 mils at 1000 yards. I would think with lighter bullets your dial would be around 6.8 or so.

Thanks guys, I think I’ll stick with 100 then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my .300 win mag exclusively for long range target shooting and I have mine zeroed at 100 yards. As a matter of fact, all of my long range rigs are zeroed at 100 yards.

For hunting in situations where you don't have
time to range and dial a 200-250 yard zero is preferred. For just long range shooting 100 yard zero. You have to decide what your priority is. That 250 yard zero will keep your point of impact within a couple inches out to 350 yards which will increase your hunting success. Or zero at 100 and before you go out hunting each day memorize your holdovers with your current temp/density altitude. My solution was to buy the leica geovid 2200hd-b for hunting. For longer ranges I use my kestral.

Reactions: Dan G