• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifles that don't get shot often

Re: Rifles that don't get shot often

Clean it thoroughly and coat the bore with RIG or Cosmolene. Both available from Brownells. I saw one guy rig up a hand lube gun with one of the rubber tips that the auto guys sell and simply pump the bore full of wheel bearing grease. Just remember (write yourself a note and tape it to the stock) to clean the stuff out before firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean it thoroughly and coat the bore with RIG or Cosmolene. Both available from Brownells. I saw one guy rig up a hand lube gun with one of the rubber tips that the auto guys sell and simply pump the bore full of wheel bearing grease. Just remember (write yourself a note and tape it to the stock) to clean the stuff out before firing. </div></div>

Bullet will push it out right?
grin.gif

i cleaned a bunch of guns for my neighbor that his father gave him when he passed away and his father filled them with vasoline, it worked but what a mess

I use Thompson Center Bore Butter, works great. When ready to shoot, shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wco24u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Thompson Center Bore Butter, works great. When ready to shoot, shoot it.
</div></div>
That is a good idea!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wco24u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Thompson Center Bore Butter, works great. When ready to shoot, shoot it. </div></div>

I'll look into that, thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean it thoroughly and coat the bore with RIG or Cosmolene. Both available from Brownells. I saw one guy rig up a hand lube gun with one of the rubber tips that the auto guys sell and simply pump the bore full of wheel bearing grease. Just remember (write yourself a note and tape it to the stock) to clean the stuff out before firing. </div></div>

Won't it make the bullets go faster?

Sorry, stole that from William Bendix in Guadalcanal Diary, or was it Sargent York?

RIG has been taken off the market and I cant find anyone who has any in stock, good luck;)

+1 for the bore butter

May sound real funny but when I bought my Windrunner it was during the ban process out here so I had to buy the reciever only with only basic machining in the white. I bought some plastic sewer pipe and put a cap on one end and a screw on end. Filled the darn thing up with a few quarts of Mobil one oil and when I took it out 6 months later it had completly removed even a couple of rust spots that I was worried about. Bill said it looked great and what I used to clean it.