• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring height advice

Cowboy605

If you learn self control, you can master anything
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2021
Black Hills, SD
So, I recently purchased a Bergara B14 HMR 20” .308 and am new to the “long range” precision world. I plan to purchase a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50 as it is in my price range. An ex Marine Corp sniper friend of mine recommended that I purchase 30mm Steiner T-Series Extra High rings, which I did. I am currently shopping for a 20 moa base for this rifle as well.

I have read threads on SH about how to measure for rings, after purchasing the Steiner rings... I have also seen several thread comments stating that low rings work fine for a 30mm tube and 50mm objective lens on a Remington 700 SA type action. My questions are, did I waist my money on the extra high rings? And, what is the downside to too tall of rings? Is it simply a matter of cheek weld? If so, will the adjustable cheek riser on my stock rectify the issue?

I should add that this will be my “hard use” do-all rifle from 100-1,000 yards.

maybe, inconsistent low cheekweld, pretty much, probably.
it is also a matter of preference and even biology. if you have a huge head, low rings won't work so well.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
maybe, inconsistent low cheekweld, pretty much, probably.
it is also a matter of preference and even biology. if you have a huge head, low rings won't work so well.
He finally replied back right after posting this thread. Haha he wasn’t aware that he sent a link for extra high rings, but thinks I should be fine since I have the built in cheek riser in the stock.

Reactions: theLBC
Fat headed MFER?

Skinny long necks also have a problem with low rings.

Pencil neck MFER.

In the ice age we were always told lower was better for accuracy.

Maybe not anymore. My neck is sore.

As long as the height isn't outside the adjustment range on the stock's comb you'll be fine.

I have the B14 HMR and am using 0.92” rings with that same scope, so you certainly don’t need anything higher than “low” rings. Agreed with previous posters that you’ll likely be fine as long as there’s enough travel in the riser posts, but you might also consider just returning the ones you bought and pick up some lows or mediums. Might as well wait until they show up to see if they work first though.

With that height you can mount a Burris fast fire 3 underneath for the close shots!

high rings, low rings

11208005574_a13e6fb548_b.jpg

I have the B14 HMR and am using 0.92” rings with that same scope, so you certainly don’t need anything higher than “low” rings. Agreed with previous posters that you’ll likely be fine as long as there’s enough travel in the riser posts, but you might also consider just returning the ones you bought and pick up some lows or mediums. Might as well wait until they show up to see if they work first though.
Are your rings measured from base to bottom ring or base to centerline of ring? Asking for comparison.

I contacted the website that I ordered these from to see if it was too late to change my order to medium rings since it hadn’t shipped yet.

*Not sure if these threads might be applicable or helpful…a little off the subject but maybe something to consider in your choices?

*Not sure if these threads might be applicable or helpful…a little off the subject but maybe something to consider in your choices?
Maybe I’m not educated about the topic enough to understand, but I don’t see the relevance of the links shared. Are you reassuring that an extra high mount is fine?

Are your rings measured from base to bottom ring or base to centerline of ring? Asking for comparison.
Whoops, turns out it’s 0.97”, from rail top to scope centerline. Some mfg measurement points are from the top surface of the rail to the bottom of the scope tube.

Reactions: Cowboy605

Scratch my last reply. Didn’t see your text with the links