• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly

Re: Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly

Couple of ring height notes.

I moved a couple of scopes around recently and found a couple of interesting things.

I put a NF 8.5-32x56 on my rifle. Badger 20 MOA rail and medium-high rings and a Rock Creek #7 tube. It the shade was any longer it wouldn't fit, and there is no way I could get a set of Butler creeks on it (it doesn't use them just a note). The 20 MOA base and the 4" shade results in a really tight clearance.

When I did that I moved my 5-25x56 Falcon Menace to my 308 R700 VLS. It has an EGW 20 MOA base and XTR low (1/2")rings, it fit!? I really expected to have to get taller rings, but with the stock varmint contour it clears with room for covers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stack pennies ....LMAO</div></div>

You should try it. A couple of my 8541 buddies showed it to me. It's faster, easier to measure, more accurate, and less messy than using clay.

Ha!! I became a forum member just to ask this question.

Just bought a SPS tactical and an Elite 3200 MIL/MIL from Midway. Was going to ask what height rings to buy. 40mm scope, low rings on a single piece rail.

Thanks!!

I am about to make an order from US to Australia, for ‘Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56 L/P P4 Fine MRAD DT CCW’.

At the same time I want to order ‘Badger Ordnance Picatinny Rail M700 Right Hand Long Action 0 MOA P/N 306-07F’ as well as ‘Badger Ordnance 34mm High 1.257" Alloy Ring Set P/N 306-27’

I own right hand Remington 700 CDL rifle chambered in .270Win.

So I have two questions:

1. Will selected picatinny rail fit on my rifle?
2. Will selected rings provide enough clearance for the selected scope?

Further to this does anyone know the exact height of this picatinny rail when mounted on this rifle so that I can use it with the formula supplied in the begining of this thread to work out the clearance?

Regards,

Dan

You need a 20 moa rail if you are going to shoot any long distance. 20 moa is standard. The 1.25 rings will work .The max 50 Badgers are good

I will shoot up to 700 meters at most. This Remington CDL is a hunting rifle, so don't expect any good accuracy out of it and being chambered in .270 I don't think it will be effective on deer past 700 meters. That is why I only plan to get 0 MOA rail. and this S&B scope has 56MOA elevation so I should be OK even if I zero my rifle at 100 meters.

This whole rings/Scope thing is just a first step in getting a really good sniping system. In less than a year I plan to get Sako TRG-42 chambered in .300Win Mag. At that time I will order 20MOA rail.

Looking forward to your feedback

Great info, will make my life easier.

great info, Playdough, just like checking piston to valve clearance.

it just looks like another ring height question....

One thing I believe I did not see get discussed in this thread is the potential interference you can get from large eyepieces ends of scopes interfering with rear sights and other equipment on a rifle. I mounted a Kahles scope on a PTR 91 using the formula given in this thread. Even though I had good bell clearance at the front of the scope I had an interference at the eyepiece end with the rear sight of the rifle. I had to go to a higher ring to account for that. In the end, like another said in this thread, it can be a trial and error method, and you may have to buy a couple of rings of various heights to see which gives you the correct clearance and return the others that did not work.

Good for you that your 56mm front objective scope has room for the Butler flips up because you picked the right height rings, but how is your cheek weld? More like a chin weld? The more important stuff happens at the other end of the scope, like height of comb of the stock. A low comb stock and a large front objective scope can easily give you 3" or more above the exit pupil centerline. Unless you have a face like a horse or an adjustable cheek riser you will be searching for the reticle.

Some shit just isn't going to work. Granted the scope may fit the rifle, but does the scope and rifle fit you?

I'm putting a Near 25MOA rail on a TRG-22. Is the following a correct?

<span style="font-weight: bold">So long as I use a scope with an optic that has an objective lens that is 50mm or less I can use the lowest rings available.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm putting a Near 25MOA rail on a TRG-22. Is the following a correct?

<span style="font-weight: bold">So long as I use a scope with an optic that has an objective lens that is 50mm or less I can use the lowest rings available.</span></div></div>

I have a 56mm scope on a Near 25 MOA base on a TRG42. 50mm will clear it no problem with any rings

Are my rings to high?

2011-05-06170509.jpg

Remington 700 5R SS
Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50
Leupold Base
Leupold High Rings
Harris Bipod

If you are straining your neck to get a good cheek weld, then yes, you could go with standard rings. If not, then just leave it alone.

I use the modeling clay but keep it in a ziplock bag so there is no cleaning after. I also use velcro straps to secure the scope in the clay. Once I've determined the scope isn't going anywhere I'm able to pickup the rifle and verify that the scope is at the correct height for my cheek weld. Another thing is that doing it this way I can look for interference as well. This helped a lot when scoping my CZ527. The bolt will determine the height instead of barrel to scope like on most rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the modeling clay but keep it in a ziplock bag so there is no cleaning after. I also use velcro straps to secure the scope in the clay. Once I've determined the scope isn't going anywhere I'm able to pickup the rifle and verify that the scope is at the correct height for my cheek weld. Another thing is that doing it this way I can look for interference as well. This helped a lot when scoping my CZ527. The bolt will determine the height instead of barrel to scope like on most rifles.</div></div>

Modeling clay. wrapped in plastic. Not to cast aspersions, but I find there are a LOT of shooters with just a touch of OCD. I mean, think about it, thousandths of an inch, reproducible accuracy, measuring things out to the milligram for accuracy. Plastic-wrapped modeling clay to reduce clean up.

I probably would have used bedding release agent on the scope...

THANKS for the tip, Linkless. Welcome to our world. Well, sounds like you're already in it.

Just in case anyone else is interested, I mounted my Premier 5-25X56 on my Tac 338 Action with the Stiller 20 MOA rail and Badger USMC 34mm, 1in high rings. Clears my senders contour Krieger barrel with the flip up scope cap no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nmmi9100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem is that some folks want to order the rings and bases all in one pass so formulas can't do much for you in that instance. I've got a 3.5-15x50 NXS I'm wanting to mount on a stock 5R 308 using a Badger 20 MOA base and Badger rings. I plan to order the base and rings at the same time and use Butler Creek caps...

What size rings do I use? 0.885 Badgers?

-David
Edgewood, NM </div></div>

What would be cool is a database of information showing base, rings, scope and rifle combos.

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m

If this has already been said then ignore. There is one variable that I have not seen on this post; If like me you are a short armed individual you may have to raise the scope up inorder to clear the base, so you don't have to strain forward at max magnification.

Can I get an opinion or two from you vets out there on leupold's qd scope base for my 308 pof? Solid or bad idea?

ok im so i just got a new scope, 4-16x40mm, and the R-L adjustment knob on the right side of the rifle is obstructing the brass extracting. Anyone else run into this problem?

I have a FN SPR with a 20 MOA rail on order. I just recently got my SS 5-20x HD with butler creek caps. Which Seekins rings should I use? I want to have everything ready when the rifle comes.

I was needing some help with my rige height if anyone could assist me? Remington Action in .338 Laupa, AI 1.5 stock, 20mm Badger Base and a Schmidt & Bender 5x25x56mm scope. I was looking at the Badger USMC 306-76 which are quite high but to get the cheek weld correct it look like I may need that extra high size, anyone else using this same setup or similar?

The most ideal way to see what rings your need for the stock you have, according to your melon, is to see just were your eye aligns above the bore. If there was just such a device you could put on your rail with a graduated scale showing you just were your eye align above the bore WITH the rail you have selected. Hmmm....

scope_height_gauge_3.jpg

With these, I can tell you within two minutes where you head aligns in the off-hand, kneeling, and prone positions. The graduations are 0.100". Also with the measurement, it will tell you if you will clear the objective of your favorite scope or not. Why fit you to the scope when it should be fitted to you?

For AR-15/M-16 users:

Sako TRG Tactical picatinny mount with 34mm low rings can be used with S&B PMII 5-25X56 on a A3 flat top IF the forestock is smooth free float tube. You can even use Butler Creeks and it still fits. And the cheek weld is good. The objetice front including BC´s will be a few milliters below the picatinny rail top.

If you have "same level" railed forearms this does not work as the front rail will be higher and the scope does not fit with this mount. In that case you have to change the 34mm rings to medium height versions. They can be difficult to locate but Sako does produce them. And no, you can not order the mount with Medium 34mm rings readily installed at the moment.

But who needs a railed forearm on a precision rifle anyway ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AzizaVFR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The most ideal way to see what rings your need for the stock you have, according to your melon, is to see just were your eye aligns above the bore. If there was just such a device you could put on your rail with a graduated scale showing you just were your eye align above the bore WITH the rail you have selected. Hmmm....

scope_height_gauge_3.jpg

With these, I can tell you within two minutes where you head aligns in the off-hand, kneeling, and prone positions. The graduations are 0.100". Also with the measurement, it will tell you if you will clear the objective of your favorite scope or not. Why fit you to the scope when it should be fitted to you?</div></div>

Very nice device

alright guys. i need some help. i am a newbie to all of this. but i recently purchased a .338 lapua in a rem. 700 police model. i have a larue 20moa base on it. I am going to put a nightforce nxs 8-32x56 on it. i will probably use nightforce rings as well. which height rings do you think i will need?

hey guys,

please don't flame me on this... I'm currently in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor, and am building an SPS tactical. Already ordered the gun, a B&C Medallist A2 Tan stock, a Leupold 15MOA picatinny rail, and a custom shop Leupold VXIII 3-9x50 scope.

I've spent DAYS searching for the answer, but WHAT HEIGHT RINGS should I get? I can't measure everything I have, because I'm 10,000 miles from home. And, I'd love to have everything sitting at home for me when I get there, so I'd like to order the rings soon.

If I understand correctly, I can "just" get away with low rings? I'd like to be as close to the barrel as possible.

THANK YOU!!

Clay

I'm in the same boat! Looking for a new optic and rings for my Rem 700 with a Rock Creek M24 contour barrel. I am seriously looking at a SN-3 5-25xT with a 58mm objective and would like a 20MOA base. So what height should I get? I'm hoping to get it all ordered so that I can get everything to the house before I come home from Afghanistan so I can get some shooting in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WOURugger51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys,

please don't flame me on this... I'm currently in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor, and am building an SPS tactical. Already ordered the gun, a B&C Medallist A2 Tan stock, a Leupold 15MOA picatinny rail, and a custom shop Leupold VXIII 3-9x50 scope.

I've spent DAYS searching for the answer, but WHAT HEIGHT RINGS should I get? I can't measure everything I have, because I'm 10,000 miles from home. And, I'd love to have everything sitting at home for me when I get there, so I'd like to order the rings soon.

If I understand correctly, I can "just" get away with low rings? I'd like to be as close to the barrel as possible.

THANK YOU!!

Clay </div></div>

Most of this thread is simply dealing with fitting the scope to the gun. One post
of a very nice tool to set scope height to the shooter. I always shim my scope with
pieces of cardboard and masking tape. When I can lay my cheek on the gun, open
my eyes and be looking down the scope I am done. If It's a gun I'll shoot prone as
well I have more adjusting to do to split the differences in height and eye relief.
Measure the height as described and order your parts. Not as nice as the tool but
does the same job. I could care less how high the scope is over the bore, if I'm
supporting the weight of my head with muscles it's going to affect my shot, especially prone. In a hunting rifle it is equally important to throw a gun up and be
looking at a clear picture with no searching. m2c.

I'm getting ready to order a Sightron SIII 6-24 x 50 scope for a Savage Model 10 FCP HS PRECISION with 5R threaded barrel. Was looking at a 20 MOA base and wanted to know if I should order low rings or medium?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here is the equation:
<span style="font-weight: bold">[rail height + ring height] - [bell diameter x 0.5]</span>
</div></div>

Seems simple, yet I am stuck because rings are most often listed as "low", "medium", "high", etc., and I don't know what that means in terms of real measurement. Is there an industry standard? For example, does medium always equal some measurement?

If I had the rings in hand to measure them, I could also just mount the damn thing to see if it fits. The whole point is to know which rings to order in the first place.

Some times there are hints like "Fits Scopes up to 45mm Obj". But this seems useless because how do they know how thick my scope with caps is? How do they know how high my rail is above the barrel? The answer is, they don't.

In other words, most manufacturers are providing useless info and not providing the info required for the formula.

I know Weaver has a site that gives the dimension from the bottom of lower ring (the saddle) to the periphery of the radius of the scope seat.

But you make a good point. It would be good if all manufactures would publish the miminum distance from the bottom surface of the ring, where it makes contact with the receiver, to the closest point in the scope seat. Would remove a lot of confusion.

Some manufactures measure from the top of the rail to the bottom of the scope tube and others measure from the top of the rail to the center of the ring hole. The funny thing is that most of them don't tell you which measurement they use. I recently bought a pair of "medium" rings that were higher than some high rings I've seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

Lately, on average of about 1 per day, I have seen quite a few posts (mostly from newbies) regarding questions about what ring height should be used. They usually request pics for comparison. For all new guys, there is a systematic way of calculating ring height that doesn't require more than a simple elementary school ruler. You measure 3 things:
1. the height of the front of your base/rail from the barrel
2. the height of your rings from the top of the rail to centerline
3. the outside diameter of the bell of the scope (not the size of the objective lens)

Here is the equation:
<span style="font-weight: bold">[rail height + ring height] - [bell diameter x 0.5]</span>
If the value is positive, then your bell will clear the barrel. Optimally, you want that bell to be about 1/4" or less over the barrel. This will give you a tight cheek weld and provide for more precise trajectory. Be sure to account for Butler Creek caps if you intend on using them.

If you are using a 40mm objective, then you can use the lowest rings and bases available, as the bell will certainly clear the barrel with no problem. i.e. don't worry if the bell ends up being higher than 1/4" over the barrel.

Hope this helps.

Glen Seekins added some good additional info to this post, so check it out as well.

mike </div></div>

So I want to lower my Weaver 3-15x50mm tactical on my Winny M70 short action (.308).

Base is an EGW 20MOA picatinny rail. Base height is either .4" or ..45" (EGW's website is unclear). I want to use LaRue ultralow rings (LT719 - I have old LaRue tall rings that are no longer made - height unknown). Ring height is .875 to centerline.

Scope objective bell diameter is 59mm.

I'm going to use the smallest base height (.4")

Converting to millimeters (10.16+22.22) - (59mm*.5)= 2.88 mm.

Does that mean I'm going to have .11" clearance over the barrel? Am I okay?

Im almost done with a scope ring calculator for the new website. You will be able to select your scope, barrel contour and it will tell you what rings you need
smile.gif
Been compiling info for about 4 years so it should be pretty good.

If you use some kind of calculation with your objective diameter remember that the barrel your objective is over is allot lower than your scope base

For Savage 10FCP in a HS stock.

Optics: Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50
Base: Badger Ord 20MOA
Rings: Badger Max 50 standard/low (M40)

Perfect fit with just enough for the BC cap.

Reactions: JOEREZ