• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring size and opinions for Nightforce 3.5-15

Jcasa

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2010
I finally narrowed it down and am looking at putting a Nightforce 3.5-15 x56 on a r700 5r currently outfitted with a manners t4a and was wondering what ring height and base you guys would suggest and if I can get away with lows for that contour. I am a average size and average in length of pull. I know its a variable but I am trying to avoid a combination that is not workable.

Last edited:
I finally narrowed it down and am looking at putting a Nightforce 3.5-15 x56 on a r700 5r currently outfitted with a manners t4a and was wondering what ring height and base you guys would suggest and if I can get away with lows for that contour. I am a average size and average in length of pull. I know its a variable but I am trying to avoid a combination that is not workable.

You more than likely wont be able to fit "Low" rings with a 56mm obj. you would have to graduate to a set of medium or high rings. If you want low profile then go back to a 50mm obj.This will give you more room to work with in regards to getting the lowest rings possible. Personally, I run NF Ultralite Rings and NF Bases. I also have a few of the Murphy Precison Titanium bases which are very nice if you have the coin. and want to keep it as light as possible.

As most on here will say, a lot more information on intended use(i.e. LR hunting, target rifle....etc) would greatly help. But just out of curiosity, why do you want such a large objective?

One last thing, read the stickies at the top of the forum. I will save you a lot of time and give you some valuable information at the same time while keeping the clowns on this site from flaming you. Hope this helps. happy Shooting.......

Bryan

i would get the high if you're going with the 56mm. medium will work with the 50mm. i have medium rings with a 5.5-22x56mm with a pretty large barrel and i don't have enough clearance for the lens covers.

Got almost same setup. 5R with NF 20MOA base and I tried the low's and it was a no go scope would fit if slid all the way forward but mounted where I needed for my eye relief could not use any type of cover, even tried to file down butler creeks a little on bottom. Med work just fine. I did try Highs just cause I had a set and it was way to high above bore for me. Med in NF UL is what you will have to have unless you use a higher made base such as a warne etc.

1 inch optical centerline should do the trick if your going with a 20 moa picatinny rail. medium rings if you go with nightforce.

Thanks all for the input, I think I will go with all nightforce set up 56mm objective with med rings and 20 MOA base, I will probly just be at the range with it, I would like to take it hunting however I am pretty hard on things when hiking up and down hillsides.

I just put a nightforce F1 3.5-15x50 on my rifle (bartlein m24/m40 contour with surgeon base) and used the badger medium high rings (1.0"). With the Butler creek caps there is very little room left. I can supply a photo later if you would like.

A Nightforce scope with a 56mm objective will fit on Remington s Heavy/Varmint contour with low rings but it won't give adequate room for the provided bikini cover or aftermarket cap. Go with the Mediums if you haven't already. With a cover, it will set just right after an objective cover is installed.