• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RIP Mark S

mateofeo85

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
New Mexico
Sniper's Hide friends, not sure if this is the right place, but here it is. I regret to inform you that we have lost one of the Hide's long time members, Mark Joseph Schoeppner, or Hide member, Mark S.

Mark passed away early this morning, after a rapid decline in health due to lung cancer. His health went from seemingly fantastic, to incredible discomfort in less than 60 days, all onset and realized from a brief stint with pneumonia in September.

Mark was a father figure to me and many others. He was the kind of guy I sent Father's day cards to, the kind of guy that tremendously cared for his family, and the kind of guy that was a joy to shoot with.

Mark taught many young people in Las Cruces the enjoyment, precision, and care put into shooting and reloading. His generosity with his knowledge, his toys, and his experience were a gift to many of us.

I pray to God that Mark rests in peace and that his family, friends, and aquaintances remember him for his generosity and kindness.

Best health and regards to all,

Matt.

Re: RIP Mark S

RIP Mark S...

Your input and wisdom here on the 'hide (and beyond) was much appreciated.

Didn't know him, but he sounds like the kind of guy I would have like to have known. RIP Mark

Thanks for all the support guys. For those of you that are in Las Cruces, NM or the surrounding areas, a service will be held for Mark tomorrow at 10am at Immaculate Heart of Mary Cathedral.

Also, some friends made some memorial goods in rememberance of Mark. All of us called him "Shoepop", and he was a no-bullshit kind of guy
wink.gif

4319532D-3B3D-49B6-90AA-52DA7BB95C6A-2719-00000459F526469F.jpg

76D630B8-F873-442B-B34C-145789C96A56-2719-00000459F7AD816C.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't know him, but he sounds like the kind of guy I would have like to have known. RIP Mark</div></div>

Same here. Godspeed.

My dad became very good friends with him every since I introduced the two via purchasing boxes of ammo for birthday gifts - Mark was kind enough to even get a bow to put on the boxes. My dad truly liked hanging out with him. My dad was good for his business too LOL - having sold/bought at least a dozen separate guns.

I just posted a prayer request yesterday but we just got the news as well.

RIP Mark!

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-size: 17pt"> Mark "Shoepop" Schoeppner, 61, beloved husband, father, son, brother, "papa" and friend, passed away on Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012. He left this world surrounded by his loved ones, having lived twice as long as he expected but half as long as he should have. Mark liked to race cars and shoot guns, and he was darned good at it. He worked like a mad man his whole life until he retired several years ago. Since then he spent his time relaxing in his big brown chair with the TV blaring and restoring cars and motorcycles. His garage was always open to the endless flow of visitors seeking his vast knowledge, opinions, or tools. He enjoyed family, cars, guns, cars, friends, guns, cars, grandkids, cars, motorcycles and guns. And cars. He was his wife's soul mate, his children's hero, his family's strength and his friends' shoulder. He was loved, praised, respected and poorly impersonated by those who had the pleasure of knowing him. He cherished those closest to him, and he would do anything he could for them. The world has lost a class act, and heaven has gained an angel. Mark was preceded in death by his father, Merle Schoeppner. He is survived by wife Judy Schoeppner, daughter Kim Bartlett and husband Bryan, son Timothy Schoeppner and wife Kara, grandchildren Avery and Brycen Bartlett, mother Angie Schoeppner, sister Kathy Schoeppner, brothers Tim (Mitzie) and Steve (Carol) Schoeppner, Janet (Jack) Lamkin, Jack (Charlene) Curry, and numerous nieces and nephews. The family would like to thank the doctors and nurses of Memorial Medical Center's CCU and the staff at Mesilla Valley Hospice. There will be a memorial mass held on Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012 at 10 a.m. at Immaculate Heart of Mary. A celebration of Mark's life will follow, where you can tell his stories that he can no longer share. They won't be as good as him telling them, but we'll give it a shot!.

Published in Las Cruces Sun-News on October 12, 2012
</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dad became very good friends with him every since I introduced the two via purchasing boxes of ammo for birthday gifts - Mark was kind enough to even get a bow to put on the boxes. My dad truly liked hanging out with him. My dad was good for his business too LOL - having sold/bought at least a dozen separate guns.

I just posted a prayer request yesterday but we just got the news as well.

RIP Mark!

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-size: 17pt"> Mark "Shoepop" Schoeppner, 61, beloved husband, father, son, brother, "papa" and friend, passed away on Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012. He left this world surrounded by his loved ones, having lived twice as long as he expected but half as long as he should have. Mark liked to race cars and shoot guns, and he was darned good at it. He worked like a mad man his whole life until he retired several years ago. Since then he spent his time relaxing in his big brown chair with the TV blaring and restoring cars and motorcycles. His garage was always open to the endless flow of visitors seeking his vast knowledge, opinions, or tools. He enjoyed family, cars, guns, cars, friends, guns, cars, grandkids, cars, motorcycles and guns. And cars. He was his wife's soul mate, his children's hero, his family's strength and his friends' shoulder. He was loved, praised, respected and poorly impersonated by those who had the pleasure of knowing him. He cherished those closest to him, and he would do anything he could for them. The world has lost a class act, and heaven has gained an angel. Mark was preceded in death by his father, Merle Schoeppner. He is survived by wife Judy Schoeppner, daughter Kim Bartlett and husband Bryan, son Timothy Schoeppner and wife Kara, grandchildren Avery and Brycen Bartlett, mother Angie Schoeppner, sister Kathy Schoeppner, brothers Tim (Mitzie) and Steve (Carol) Schoeppner, Janet (Jack) Lamkin, Jack (Charlene) Curry, and numerous nieces and nephews. The family would like to thank the doctors and nurses of Memorial Medical Center's CCU and the staff at Mesilla Valley Hospice. There will be a memorial mass held on Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012 at 10 a.m. at Immaculate Heart of Mary. A celebration of Mark's life will follow, where you can tell his stories that he can no longer share. They won't be as good as him telling them, but we'll give it a shot!.

Published in Las Cruces Sun-News on October 12, 2012
</span></span>
</div></div>

Arctic,

Thanks for posting the obituary; those words definitely fit the dynamic mold that was the life of Mark. The words also reflect the kind and sincere family he left behind that crafted those words in his memory.

Regards,

Matt

I have read a lot of obituaries in 55 years, but never one as touching and as thoughtful as that one.

For those that new him, I am truly sorry for your loss.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

My condolences to the family. Not knowing him, seeing the responses, and the obituary, having a glimpse into what he left behind, should inspire every person to do the same.

My dad just got back from the Mass and said this guy was special, about 100 people there.

On the back of the card, from the funeral was a nice poen by E. Brenneman:
<span style="font-size: 11pt"> Don't think of him as gone away--
his journey's just begun,
life holds too many facets--
this earth is only one.

Just think of him as resting
from sorrows and the tears
in a place of warmth and comfort
where there are no days and years.

Think how he must be wishing
that you could know today
how nothing but our sadness
can really pass away.

and think of him as living
in the hearts of those he touched
for nothing loved is ever lost--
and he was loved so much.
</span>

That said, everyone grab a beer, crack it open and have a cold one for Mark!

Celebrate his life and enjoy yours - I'm sure that's what we'd all want.

Arctic,

I wish I would've gotten your pop's name. The service was great. I read the card, I bawled my eyes out. It was perfectly fitting.

Afterwards, everyone went to Mark and Judy's house for a celebration of his life. People young and old were there to share all the good times and memories that we had of Mark, over some Coors yellow-bellies and some Glen Livet
wink.gif

Thanks again to all for the love and support, both aquainted and unaquainted.

Best regards,

Matt.

I was one of the very fortunate to know Mark. He taught me everything I know about guns. How to be safe, how to be accurate, how to have fun. He was my teacher when I started reloading, and has instilled knowledge I will have for a lifetime that I will pass on as he did.

His generosity, his patience, his one of a kind sense of humor, and his love. Will live on in me and the many others that were blessed to know him.

If only every green horn could have a Mark S as a teacher,the world would be a better place.