• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL 17 and temperature changes

jyd

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2008
Idaho
How sensitive is RL 17 compared to H4350? I'd like to use it in a 6.5 creedmore, so do I have to a different dope card for every 10 or 20 degree temp change. Maybe I'm worried about nothing? some input from a RL 17 user would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: RL 17 and temperature changes

Its very temperature sensitive. If you read some of the load development I did with 208 amax'es and RL17 I tuned the load to an SD of 9, which was great. Till the temperature dropped 20 degrees and the SD jumped into the teens and twenties and the load was no longer in tune.

Stick with the Hogdon extreme powders. Much better for temp stability. **Edited to add** RL17 is definitely the speed king, you will get more speed with less pressure using it over about anything else. Unfortunately, its very subject to changing velocity with temperature differences.

Rich