• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns RMR or SRO for duty sidearm?

For a duty sidearm which is preferred?

• Trijicon RMR

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • Trijicon SRO

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters
The problem with counting on just the pocket is that youā€™re failing to account for any variation in the RMR itself. If you want a cut ā€œperfectā€ enough to eliminate the recoil bosses, you have to send the optic in with the slide so they can fit it. Which means if you sell them separate from each other youā€™re effing over the next guy, or if you change optics youā€™re effing over yourselfā€¦

Not in my experience. With most other optics, yes. But the RMR external dimensions are nearly always consistent enough to work in a tight pocket.

I'll point out one of my G19 slides as an example. It was milled for a tight fit with an early type 1 RMR, and used two others in that slide over the years, no changes or fit issues. Then when the Type 2 came out, right within that first few months or so, I picked one up and found that they were .003" longer. Note that .003" is significant enough to be noticeable as an issue; that speaks to the consistency of the earlier optics.

So at that point I did have to go back and mill .003" off the back of the pocket. Then I had an issue with that RMR (the tiny lens over the emitter fell out) and sent it back to Trijicon. Same issue with the replacement, and the next 3 after that. They did eventually change the bonding around that lens and fixed the issue on the last one I got, but the significant point is that all of those optics fit the cut the same way.

So no, with this particular type of optic, the bosses are not necessary, and the cut can be tight enough to constrain the optic very well. Heck, we were using milled slides with RMRs in them for nearly 10 years before anyone decided they "need" bosses. The obvious caveat is that .003" difference between type 1 and 2 optics, but if you're sticking with a new optic you're good to go. I've had a lot of RMR sights on a bunch of different pistols, and have never had one fail to fit with the exception of the type 1 - type 2 change.

However, that is the only example I know of where the slide pockets are adequate. Everything else out there needs to have bosses, but the slide pockets also need to be milled oversize so that the optic can be replaced. Regardless, even then you don't need both locating studs and screw hole bosses. Too many dimensional constraints means either the parts don't consistently fit, or some of the constraints serve no purpose (except advertising).

That is my first hand experience.

OK,

Just pulled the trigger on the RMR 6.5 version. Eurooptic has the best deal I could find at 500 ish with shipping and taxes included. If anyone knows of another place that has them cheaper, let me know. I've got at least one more to get done. I'll spend the extra money on training ammo so I can catch up to @308pirate!

Looks like Primary Machine has a quick turnaround of 3-4 weeks, too. If anyone can beat that please let me know.

God bless America

OK,

Just pulled the trigger on the RMR 6.5 version. Eurooptic has the best deal I could find at 500 ish with shipping and taxes included. If anyone knows of another place that has them cheaper, let me know. I've got at least one more to get done. I'll spend the extra money on training ammo so I can catch up to @308pirate!

Looks like Primary Machine has a quick turnaround of 3-4 weeks, too. If anyone can beat that please let me know.

God bless America
I've used Primary Machine and Slideworks Engineering and been satisfied with both.

Check with Slideworks for leadtime.

Reactions: Scarface26
OK,

God bless America

The work Primary Machine did for my S2 is top notch. PM me if you'd like photos of their work.

Reactions: Scarface26