• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Robert Gradous's Tactical Rifle Gunsmithing Class

Since we've got the ear of a pro here - can you give a little insight on what kind of tolerances can be expected from a (mostly) CNC'd "prefit" versus a hand turned and measured barrel? (lets ignore actions or other parts for now)

Given that prefits are (in most cases) substantially cheaper than a traditional lathed job, its got to be due to reduced labor since the blanks remain the same. As the consumer, what are you giving up? There is no free lunch. Is the future wire EDM everything but the chamber?

Curious as to what you see as "the future" for barreling in our sport on both the low end and high end of the quality spectrum.

Reactions: Robert Gradous
I spent the better of 30 minutes on the phone with Mr. Robert this afternoon. He was very gracious with his time and gave me LOTS to think about......I may need to sell a kidney or three....:)

I know he needs no endorsement from a newbie like me, but he is by far the most knowledgeable gun person I have ever had the privilege to speak with....

Thanks again Mr. Robert and hope to be in touch again with you soon.

Reactions: Robert Gradous
Since we've got the ear of a pro here - can you give a little insight on what kind of tolerances can be expected from a (mostly) CNC'd "prefit" versus a hand turned and measured barrel? (lets ignore actions or other parts for now)

Given that prefits are (in most cases) substantially cheaper than a traditional lathed job, its got to be due to reduced labor since the blanks remain the same. As the consumer, what are you giving up? There is no free lunch. Is the future wire EDM everything but the chamber?

Curious as to what you see as "the future" for barreling in our sport on both the low end and high end of the quality spectrum.
For your first paragraph answer,,,,,, No difference in quality between a cnc versus manual lathe,,,,,,, that being said the cnc has more consistancy in large batches.
No expert here,,, just a plow hand for sure.

For the last two paragraphs,,,,, I feel that competition in prefit barrels alone is the why they are priced that economically at this time.
I also feel that the gun industry as we or I know it will be very different in a short period of time,,,,, like 3 to 5 years,,,, meaning that there will be 30 to 35 percent of Smith's and manufacturing out of business.

• Sad
Reactions: Waorani