• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Robinson Arms XCR - 6.8 or 7.62?

astroman

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
What caliber would you buy the Robinson Arms XCR in - 6.8mm or 7.62mm?

Can buy 5.56 in something cheaper, so not concerned about that for this gun. More thinking about power, accuracy, availability of ammo (will reload), future support and availability, etc.

Which is better?

Re: Robinson Arms XCR - 6.8 or 7.62?

i just got a 6.8... if i had been able to get a .308 in the EXACT same configuration, and not spent too much more money, i might have, but 6.8 is a VERY good hunting roung (that's why i got it)..

the ammo is more expensive than the cheapest .308, but you can get the premium hunting stuff for about $21 box... for reloading, it'll be a LOT cheaper

It's really going to depend on your use... if you're going to regularly shoot past 500 yards, go with 7.62... much better ballistics at that range.

6.8 is better than 5.56 in EVERY way, but inferior to 7.62 in most... the 70% decrease in recoil being the obvious advantage.

I have the 5.56 version. However, I have on order the 6.8 SPC conversion kit. Robinson XCR set up is nice because you can have three different calibers with one rifle. I would get the 6.8 SPC for hunting and the latter you could buy one of the conversion kits of a caliber of your choice.

Jamie

Robinson Arms is also working on a 6.5 Grendel, though it won't be called a Grendel. It's supposed to come out about the same time the XCR M 308 is coming out. This is a picture from the XCR forum of a 6.5 prototype they are testing right now. The 6.5 will be in the smaller AR type platform just like the 6.8 whereas the 308 is approximately one inch longer in the receiver to accommodate the longer length of the 308.
XCRSPR1.jpg

those two calibers are night and day away from each other. The 6.8mm is pretty much done by 400-500 yards whereas the 308 is still moving along and can make it to 800-1000 yards. Both are good hunting rounds but the 308 has more available rounds for hunting. I don't think the two can be compared. They are just too different. I personally hunt with my 6.8mm because I hunt in areas where I have short range shots of 200 yards and less.

I have Robinson Arms XCR in 5.56 then got the 7.62X39 then the 6.8 just want the 6.5 Grendel. for cheap shooting 7.62X39 out to 300. 500 to 600 is the 6.8 but will cost more