• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rocky Mountain projectiles and Chey Tac...

the claw nz

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2010
Hi all, first post on here for me...

I am thinking of building a Chey Tac variant in either 338 or 375. What I would like to hear about is if anyone is using the Rocky Mountain Alum tipped projectiles, either the 300gr 338 or the 370gr 375 in their Chey Tac.

How are they holding up?

I am looking at options for hunting projectiles, not solids at this point.

In either calibre, I will most likely go with a 1 in 10 twist, which I believe is suitable for the Rocky Mountain projectiles, and as a fall back, the SMK's in either cal.

The rifle will be built on a Barnard P Chey action, and most likely a tube gun style stock, and if its a 338, then a True Flite barrel (as I am from New Zealand I can get all these components easily).

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Re: Rocky Mountain projectiles and Chey Tac...

We have spoken before, you have great options with the 338 or the 375 snipe tac....I did forget to mention one thing. I have spent some more time researching the Rky mtn bullet as Im going to shoot it very soon in my 375 snipe tac.

The Rky mtn 370 is supposed to shoot real well in the 375. I have been hearing of some great groups with the proper seating. Bobby lawton has a customer from NV that is getting .010 groups out of it.

However, the 338 snipe tac holds possibly even better promise. The current bullet has a 1.06 BC. It's a 325 grain bullet and if you run the ballistics on it, it out shines the 375 against known bullets. I say known, cause the new 414 gr by GS (if tests are successful) will be an awesome pill with a 1.250 bc.

Anyhow, the rky mtn 325 for the 338 has some scary potential. I spoke with the owner of Rky mtn the other day, and he has to modify this bullet so it will shoot better groups. He just does not like what it does (15 inch groups at 1,000 yards) today, so in the next few months it will under go some changes.

Should he be able to accomplish this, you will have a good delima. What to build, the 338 or the 375.

Personally, if he can get this to fly, I would have chosen the 338 insted of my 375.

There is one more problem though...The recommended twist for the Rky mtn 325 gr is 8.5. So you will probably corner yourself on bullet selection.

On the 375 with the 414 GS...you will corner yourself as well as you will need to use a 8 twist to make it work.

For all of us shooters that like the BC's over 1...we will have to be prepared to cut barrels that are specific to the bullets. This is just the way it is, and if you want the awesome performance, you will have to pay the price.

zman