• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rocky Mt. Reloading (RMR) .224 69gr BTHP

kjmdrumz3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2020
    Oklahoma City
    Just wanted to share what I have found. I bought 500 of these after reading some decent reviews on the interwebz and they seem to be pretty dang consistent, at least through my non-scientific measurements. OAL ES of 0.007", Weight ES of 0.12gr, and a BTO ES of only 0.002"! Now, I only measured a random sample of 25 out of the 500 received but color me impressed, especially for the price. Make sure to read the disclosure about these on their website, something about corn cob media being stuck in the tip of the bullet due to the lack of a wet polish because of some wastewater management issue. But for what I need, they seem to be pretty good bullets @ 16 cents a bullet. Down to 14.2 cents if you buy 2,000 of them. I'm going to try to get out Friday and shoot a few dozen and see how they perform. I may be late to the party but they seem like a nearly identical copy of the green box of the same weight.

Untitled.jpg

Shot a few hundred of them myself. Would normally have a few thousand fired, but you know, primers are made with albino unicorn blood and all....

From my limited testing they gave up nothing to the 69 Sierras over varget and were noticeably cheaper. Honestly I just subbed them in and they shot just like the smks. Likely performance still on the table since I didn't do much but shoot them.

RMR is good people. Buy lots of them, I am pretty sure you'll like them.

Reactions: kjmdrumz3
    Never tried the rifle bullets but I have almost a pallet of the 9mm bullets. They work just fine!

Great people.... great products..... great service..... fast shipping in NORMAL times. Have not tried this particular bullet, however, all the others I've tried were awesome. Am not a paid endorser but have been a fan for years.

I bought some to try out this summer but am still in boating mode, so haven’t loaded any. Looking forward to your results. They may be my new go-to for plinking

I’d sure like to see a pic of them with a 69 SMK and a 68 gr Hornady. I have the Sierra and the Hornady.

Soooo, I got out to shoot a few today. While their 9mm stuff has been fantastic, the 69gr BTHP shot like absolute dog shit out of my rifle. It was really, really surprising how bad they shot compared to the 68gr Hornady projectiles. I’m not saying that it’s the bullet’s fault. They are incredibly consistent in their measurements. Maybe they just don’t like the harmonics of my barrel. I might have to play with seating depth (not much I can do due to magazine restrictions) or buy another EC Tuner/Brake and see if I can tune them in. The tuner/brake worked AWESOME in my 6.5CM, turning a 1/2 MOA gun into a consistent 1/4 MOA gun.
    All groups are 10 shots. Middle group is Hornady 68s from the bench. Top left and right are RMR 69s from the bench (top right loaded at 26.0gr Varget as opposed to 25.5gr for everything else). The bench I shot from was quite rickity and not super stable. After these 3 groups, I shot prone. Bottom left is the RMR 69s and bottom right is Hornady 68s. Oh, and this is at only 52 yards. Keep in mind that NEITHER of these loads have been fine-tuned to my rifle. They were shot halfway rapidly, also. Maybe 5-10 seconds between rounds. Just loaded to 25.5gr of Varget at about 2.245-2.250” COAL. I also found that the 68s flew about 20fps faster. Didn’t expect that much of a difference. Oh, and those dots are just over 1” edge to edge. About 1.100” or so.

Attachments

• 8F1F7A37-53C1-48B4-8C7B-5D3E3C6278C2.jpeg
      8F1F7A37-53C1-48B4-8C7B-5D3E3C6278C2.jpeg
      62.7 KB · Views: 183
    Last edited:
    I may have to bump some 5.56 up the reloading schedule to try these out before I start stocking up.

Agreed. I’m about easy to roll into a batch….but my v4 still isn’t here. Trying to be patient but have backorder blue balls

I may have to try some of these. I shoot Hornady 68 BTHP just because they do what I need but they have been hard to find.

I’ve tried the 68’s and so has a buddy with not as good results as the 69’s. I should try them again sometime.

Any update on these? I'm thinking they could make for great plinking in a 223ai or 224 Valk. Or even just steel safe loads for the AR. They really don't cost much more than the 55/62gr bulk hornady bullets.

A friend bought some. He is going to give me 100 to try. I have a gun that shoots Federal GMM 69 SMK at 1/2”. Just fed open it and will compare with my favorite load (26.5 CFE 223 and a 69 SMK, at larger than FGMM, working on my reading). See how the two compare same gun, same load. I will also do measurements on them like above on both of them.

well I took the plunge and just ordered 1000 of these 69 grain wonders. Have a few different projects in mind- a 20 inch AR build and the possibility of buying a used 224 Valk upper - and if they don’t shoot like a laser then I’ll have some trade stock of some almost cheap plinkers .

Anyone else using them with great or not so great results?

Reactions: Jackomason
    They will group. This target was shot at 100 yards prone sling from a 20 inch Kreiger 1-7.7 Wylde chamber on the MR31 target. The low shot was called low. If you shoot for score, this bullet will score well and has an extremely good chance of high X count mid ring 10 cleans on reduced prone targets out to 200 yards. All good especially at the price.

We plan on shooting this at the full 200 yard sitting rapid SR target and 300 yd SR-3 prone rapid target and expect clean capability with high X count. Will be spring before we can confirm this, no reason it cannot preform at those distances.

The powder charge is pretty standard for 69g bullets with IMR8208XBR. A seating depth test gave the COAL, if you use this load you may need to adjust seating depth for best accuracy.

Attachments

• RMR69 XBR 10 round test Wylde.jpg
      RMR69 XBR 10 round test Wylde.jpg
      139.2 KB · Views: 137
    Haven’t done final load development yet but got a rough zero at 100 and went 3 for 3 on gallon water jugs at 200 hundred and 3.