• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rolled Neck Edges Due to Wet Tumbling?

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
I've only been wet tumbling now for a couple of years. Light and day better than dry tumbling. Only took me FOREVER to come around from dry tumbling.
Yesterday I was watching a new YouTube video from Area 419. I like to watch reloading videos. I am always open to learning something new. Anywho, the guy that was doing the video said that he stopped wet tumbling and went back to dry tumbling because the wet tumbling had damaged his brass. It rolled the edges of his brass, thus developing pressure issues. Personally, I have never heard of any negative side effects due to wet tumbling. Until yesterday. And this 419 video has only been posted for a few days now. So it's very new. Has anyone here run into issues from the stainless steel pins we use during the wet tumbling process?

I personally have never seen this, but that is to say it doesn't happen. Then again, my reloading procedure is a little different than everyone else's. AFTER I tumble, I will trim the case and run a mandrel through the necks before dropping powder and seating the bullet. So that would probably negate any damage to the necks if it was damaged from wet tumbling and I have never noticed any from the wet tumbling method.

Reactions: simonp
I had this very same issue with my brass. Wet tumbling without pins was rolling the case mouth of my cases. It would cause like a slight bell mouth at the end after running it through the expander mandrel.

Wait, there are people that don’t dress the edges of the case mouths as the last step before priming?

Reactions: simonp
If you tumble too much brass in not enough pins, the case mouths will impact against eachother and peen. This is compounded by annealing prior to tumbling. Then it is exacerbated by using a bushing die.

I don’t have this issue as my Lee Collet Neck die takes care of all of it.

Reactions: miss dottie