• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA ATH Carbine vs A4 varmint

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I will be buying my first AR-15 in a few weeks and I have decided to go with Rock River Arms. I have wanted an A4 varmint for years but I also like the new ATH carbine. The A4 says 3/4 moa and the ATH carbine says 1 moa. From what I have seen RRA always shoot better than advertised. Which is the best gun for a hunting rifle?

Re: RRA ATH Carbine vs A4 varmint

Just shot my RRA Varmint saturday. Got 3/4 MOA (5 shot grps) with factory ammo and 5 mph gusts. I figure handloads will prob bring it down to 1/2 MOA.

Tied for the best group was five shots in rapid succession.

I love it. I put a Magpul PRS on it and a NF 3.5-15x50.

I'd get the varmint. Guess it really depends on what you're going to be shooting with it and at what range.

Thanks for the replies. What would the best barrel length be to get me to 600 yards the the A4 varmint?

Mine has a 20" bbl and, although I can't answer your question about 600 yds, I do know that it is one heavy mutha with the PRS and the Nightforce scope.

dsc0202copye.jpg

20" will get the 308 out to 1000 no problem. You'll get a little more muzzle velocity with the 26" but not enough to make a big difference. I would call it personal preference on the barrel length. If it's gonna be sitting on a bench at the range 90% of the time I'd probably get the 26". If your going to haul it into the field to do a little hunting with it very often, I'd opt for the shorter of the two.

Just re-read the post, looks like your getting a .223. I've got a 20" .223 that reaches the 600yd mark with ease. Guess Id still go by the same guidelines as above with the exception of the 1000yd mark.

I have a 24" Varmint and love it. Its about 11 lbs with a 50mm scope so keep that in mind if you are going to do any moving.

I am about to order a RRA myself. The only differrence I can see (as they both have a 3/4 moa gaurantee) is the weight. The ATH (18") weighs 7.7 lbs and the varmit (18") weighs 8.7 lbs.

I think I have decided on the RRA Predator Persuit midlength (16") which comes in around 7.2 lbs. I am going for the lighter weight, b/c this will be a carry/hunting rig.

If you go on preadator masters forums they have countless threads about RRA, many people on that site shoot them. I have only read very positive reviews about them on there.

My buddy just picked up an ATH Carbine. We mounted a 4x ACOG on it and took it to a 100 yrd informal range another friend owns. Casual shooting with non match ammo delivered 10 rnds. inside an inch. We were shooting casually, as I said. Neither of us are shots of any note, but this gun was easy to do that with. I am looking forward to hand loads and a little longer optic.

I also have one but its a NY AWB model. Fix stock and no suppressor. It shoots Sub MOA and is fun to shoot. Good build quality. I put a Nikon M-223 2-8X32 scope it and it works great for what I use it for.

I think I have decided on the RRA Predator Persuit midlength (16") which comes in around 7.2 lbs. I am going for the lighter weight, b/c this will be a carry/hunting rig.

Santee116, You will like the RRA 16 Predator, i have one with Magpul UBR as my Truck Gun, 3.5x10 Leupold nice rig.

Depends on what you plan on hunting and how you are hunting them (in a stand, spot and stalk, etc)

I have the varmint in an 18 inch barrel, and after holding the ATH at the gun shop I think its what I'd pick. I don't prarie dog Hunt so I don't shoot hundreds of bullets in a sitting where I need the bull barrel because of heat. I'm not trading my gun in, it that ATH looks awesome IMHO.

I ended up going with the ATH. Absolutely love it. It will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long with handloads.

For those interested in the weight, she's 10.2 lbs as shown below.
DSCF1004-1.jpg