• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS 24L vs 34L?

Zback

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 8, 2019
I'm trying to decide between 24L vs 34L with a Anvil 30. It will mainly be used on my AR for night hunting. Occasionally, once a year it will make a trip out west to hunt. I'm 6'2 hence the reason for the L version. I'm just trying to figure out how much stability I would sacrifice by going the 24L route in attempt to save weight?

I too was torn between the two and after talking to the guys at RRS, they steered me towards the 34L. They basically said if you were shooting off of it, the 34 is 40% more stable. I’d say a lot of personal preference too. I haven’t gotten mine yet but I have one on backorder.

Reactions: Diver160651
Consider the weight and if you need the supposed rigidity. The 34 feels significantly heavier. It also doesn’t make a tenth mil difference inside 300 yards. You can get tons of opinions but I would listen hard to those of us with both tripods. If you’re hunting with an AR (as do I most often) then the 34 will be more a burden than a gift.

82B8D34C-23C3-43BB-B688-D1F759DB3F2F.jpeg

Consider the weight and if you need the supposed rigidity. The 34 feels significantly heavier. It also doesn’t make a tenth mil difference inside 300 yards. You can get tons of opinions but I would listen hard to those of us with both tripods. If you’re hunting with an AR (as do I most often) then the 34 will be more a burden than a gift.

View attachment 7478176
I appreciate the insight!

I’ve used the 23 legs since RRS hit the scene,

33s are stiffer and I just grabbed a Anvil with 33 legs to see if makes a big difference, but I never had issue with 23 series I , it’s the next series down that gets very bouncy ,

I was in the same boat. I can’t remember the size difference in circumference when they are both packed up (folded), but I went with the 24 because it was smaller. I walk a lot with mine so how it packed was my first thought process, then rigidity. Went with the 24. Don’t regret it. It’s still a large tripod, but the most stable one I’ve used.

I’m selling my 24L to buy a 34L. The 24L is great but since I don’t pack around a tripod, I figured it’ll take whatever extra stability I can potentially get with the 34L at the cost of a little more weight.