• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS BH-40

223remfmj

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2018
I have an opportunity to buy a lightly used RRS Versa tripod and a BH-40 ball head for precision distance shooting out to 1000M.

I note that the BH-40 is rated for 18 pounds. This is not the SOAR version. This gear is coming from the photography space.

My rifle fully kitted out in an MDT chassis with all of the forend weights comes in at 22 lbs.

Does anyone foresee any problems using this rifle on this Versa/BH-40 combination?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen some videos on IG (I'm @9mm_guy there) of "full size rifles" being used with the BH40 but no idea of the weight of those rifles. As we all know, a "full size rifle" could have wide variations in weight. That's why i'm asked for advice from this forum - would a 22lb rifle be too much for the photography specific BH40?

Thanks again.

Thank you Alex. I appreciate the advice. This is a good example of the value of this forum; there is a lot of knowledge out there and I'm grateful to be able to tap into it whenever necessary. I will now proceed with my purchase of the Versa and the BH40. Thanks again. Alan

Problems with all the different listings and fixing everything. I believe it’s supposed to say 18ft-lbs.
Torque value not just a weight. Unless a ballhead says it’s rated for torque the weight capacity doesn’t mean anything.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no difference between the RRS SOAR ballhead and the RRS ballhead.
Same ballhead. There are different clamps up top. The BH-55 and BH-40 have an SC model that accepts pic rail and RRS dovetail rails. You could probably call that the “SOAR” version but you can see the standard clamp version in there as well.

Same ballhead. There are different clamps up top. The BH-55 and BH-40 have an SC model that accepts pic rail and RRS dovetail rails. You could probably call that the “SOAR” version but you can see the standard clamp version in there as well.
On top of that, the clamps are changeable and one of the reason I chose them. I use my setup for shooting and photography.

Both are available.
Thanks I looked again and got it afaik. SKU BH-55 SC

They don’t make it apparent when they have one that is an SC and one is an LR SOAR model and you need the SC LR plate to get Both styles in the clamp. Seems like adding a P to the model number would be easier to show pic rail compatibility.