• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 Competition Rifle (Ruger Custom Shop)

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Banned !
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
Ruger is offering a 10/22 Competition Rifle from their custom shop.
https://www.ruger.com/micros/customShop/1022.html

• Model Number31120
  • Caliber22 LR
  • StockSpeckled Black / Gray Laminate
  • SightsNone - Optics-Ready, 30 MOA Picatinny Rail
  • MaterialAluminum
  • Capacity10
  • Twist1:16'' RH
  • FinishHard-Coat Anodized Black
  • Length of Pull13.50''
  • Overall Length36''
  • Barrel Length16.12''
  • Weight6 lbs.
  • Grooves6
  • Suggested Retail$899.00

• 16-1/8'' cold hammer-forged bull barrel is fluted to reduce weight and dissipate heat and is also threaded with a 1/2''-28 pattern to accommodate the included muzzle brake or other barrel accessories.
  • Dual bedding system incorporates a second bedding lug, ensuring the receiver is securely bedded to the stock.
  • Top barrel locator allows for a free-floating barrel for superior accuracy.
  • Integral, optics-ready 30 MOA Picatinny rail for increased long-range elevation capabilities.
  • Painted and textured laminated stock provides a sure-feeling, slip-free grip.
  • Hard-coat anodized CNC-machined receiver made from heat treated and stress relieved 6061-T6511 aluminum that allows for optimal receiver-to-bolt interaction and a match-grade feel.
  • Receiver incorporates a rear cleaning port, providing access to the barrel from the rear of the receiver for ease of cleaning.
  • BX-Trigger™ with a light, crisp 2.5-3 pound trigger pull weight with minimal overtravel and a positive reset.
  • Fully adjustable cheek rest can be repositioned to accommodate varying comb heights and positions to create a custom-adjusted feel that is stable, comfortable and repeatable for optic alignment.
  • Extended, ambidextrous magazine release to allow for the easy removal of the magazine during fast-paced competition reloads.
  • Proprietary, enhanced semi-auto chamber proven to increase accuracy and precision while not compromising reliable feeding and extraction.
  • Heat treated and nitrided match CNC-machined bolt that creates a tight-fitting, smooth action enabling the highest level of performance.
  • Match bolt release allows you to easily advance the nitrided bolt with a quick pull and release ro the rear.
  • Positive, push-button, cross-bolt manual safety.
  • Heat-stabilized, glass-filled, polymer trigger housing assembly is precision made of high-tech material for improved manufacturing tolerances, impact and abrasion-resistance and an unmatched ability to withstand the elements.
  • Detachable 10-round rotary magazine features a unique rotor to separate cartridges and provide reliable feeding.
  • Also includes: hard case; Ruger® Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity, challe

10-22-1.jpg

10-22-2.jpg

10-22-3.jpg

It is good to see Ruger making a gun with all of the add on's, it is about time. It would be a great starter for someone wanting to build a 10-22. At $900 suggested retail, you should be able to get for $800 or less. But for me, I went with a Kidd Supergrade barreled action complete with 2 stage trigger for $945.00, dropped it in a Titan stock with their rear anchor for around $200. If you would go with a BX trigger ( I can't do that myself) for the Kidd it would run $845 with the Titan stock. At $290.00 Kidd's 2 stage hurt to buy, but it is the best 10-22 trigger made.

Mark

Around 800 street price. Thats laughable. I can buy my dream semi auto a kidd barreled action for around 9. And no comparison between the two. Anybody that might spend 8 for this would spend 9 forn a Kidd no problem. Boyd's provarmint is 150. So this for 8 and it needs a trigger or 1050 for a Kidd and have the best. No browner to me

Reactions: bwall57
This rifle should sell as well as it shoots and that is yet to be seen. It is interesting after all of these years how Ruger seems to be upgrading many of the features to try to copy the Kidd. The popularity of 22 PRS style matches seems to have gotten the attention of many rifle companies. I would expect an upgraded version of the RRP 22 next year sometime.

I'm interested. I'll be watching to see how the range reports are with it, but I think Ruger will do pretty well with it. There are a lot of folks out there who want the semi-custom in a factory package. Anschutz is killing it with their custom shop, and I expect no less from Ruger on these and other offerings.
My issue is that my factory 10/22 target shoots so well that every time I try an "upgrade" I end up putting the original back together.

You are right the apple has a proven track record of accuracy ad consistency. The orange company hasn't exactly been showing that they can make a high quality, accurate and consistent rimfire rifle. Maybe this one will be the beginning of exactly that but it will need to prove it on the range. Regardless of the price what it is being billed as is a rifle ready for competition. To me that would mead 1moa or better out to at least 100y.

Reactions: RTH1800
You are right the apple has a proven track record of accuracy ad consistency. The orange company hasn't exactly been showing that they can make a high quality, accurate and consistent rimfire rifle. Maybe this one will be the beginning of exactly that but it will need to prove it on the range. Regardless of the price what it is being billed as is a rifle ready for competition. To me that would mead 1moa or better out to at least 100y.

In other words, for 60% more money you can get a better rifle that will almost certainly out shoot the Ruger? No kidding....

I have a KIDD myself and love it.

But a KIDD factory rifle in a Magpul stock starts around $1050 and goes up from there depending on the barrel and other options you choose (a KIDD barreled action dropped it into a Victor Titan is probably more money, despite what some above have suggested). Assuming you're buying the cheapest KIDD complete rifle that's about $400 more than the Ruger, or a 60% price increase. For many people that's not an insignificant difference in price.

If the Ruger costs 40% less than the KIDD and is 80% as accurate it'll be an excellent deal for many.

Last edited:
What kind of accuracy should we expect out of this rifle? Should ruger have ammo recommended for this rifle?

22 accuracy is pretty much like this after a point.

giphy.gif

If the custom shop Ruger shoots 25% better than my (mostly) stock 10/22, it would be worth the money and then some.

What ammo? Same as every other rimfire on the planet - whatever it shoots best :rolleyes:.
Eley, Lapua, RWS, Geco.
Load it up with cheap crap from Walmart and it will shoot like cheap crap from Walmart.

In other words, for 60% more money you can get a better rifle that will almost certainly out shoot the Ruger? No kidding....

I have a KIDD myself and love it.

But a KIDD factory rifle in a Magpul stock starts around $1050 and goes up from there depending on the barrel and other options you choose (a KIDD barreled action dropped it in buy a Kidd hand lappedto a Victor Titan is probably more money, despite what some above have suggested). Assuming you're buying the cheapest KIDD complete rifle that's about $400 more than the Ruger, or a 60% price increase. For many people that's not an insignificant difference in price.

If the Ruger costs 40% less than the KIDD and is 80% as accurate it'll be an excellent deal for many.

Well we'll just need to wait and see. The upside is that they can spend that $400 savings and a bit more on a proven Kidd hand lapped precision rifle barrel and a Kidd trigger. They have already tried to copy many of the other Kidd innovations. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Ruger has found out that anything that sounds like the word "precision" sells guns. I have 5 Ruger rifles in my safe and other than the Centerfire RPR's the others are rather average shooters.

The new competition rifle looks nice. I hope it goes farther than just looks. There is a giant market out there for a rifle like this that can get to 1moa at a decent price.

Last edited:
So the general assumption is that KIDD is better, even though no one's tried the Ruger? It's an interesting concept.

Tucker,
I have a Ruger SS Target it comes with a match barrel. It shoots very well. I was told it came with a BX trigger, it did not, it now has a Kidd 2 stage. At $659 as listed about, the new 10/22 Competition Rifle would be a good buy. At the $899 retail, your are in the Kidd price range. The new 10/22 Competition Rifle would be a great starter gun.

Mark

My 80s vintage, “Walmart special” 10/22 has always been “minute of rabbit head” accurate. I don’t know how much ammunition has been through it, but when I was a kid a brick was good for about an afternoon. I wanted to get into shooting the local 22 rimfire match and took that 3x year old rifle out with a bunch of ammo to try. I had a Kidd on order that evening.

The only other ruger I’ve ever owned is a 6.5 creedmoor RPR, and it’s not what’s holding me back in centerfir competitions... I have confidence that Ruger can make a consistently accurate rifle at a “production price.” But, you can get an “all the bells and whistles” Kidd Supergrade for ~1400. I feel like when you’re in this game a few 100 on a superior product is a no brainer- especially with what you can spend chasing accurate rimfire ammo.

I hope these sell well because I like where ruger is going. But, they are too expensive for NRL rimfire production class, and not cheap enough to be a value leader against Kidd.

I purchased one of these tues. ended up being $779. The weather in Western Mass, hasn't been coopertive at all this week and it looks like the end of next week till I'll be able to get out.

How do you like the rifle so far?

Looking forward to a range report.

So...street price online seems to be in the $670 range.

How does that make the value proposition look?

Reactions: RTH1800
well some ass hole decided to break in my sons house this weekend and steal a few things my 10/22 with a magnum research carbon fiber barrel .. being one thing .. like to hear more on these.. might end up being a replacement ???

I just put a 1022 together with a brownells receiver, fedderson barrel, kid trigger and bolt, and a titan stock. I'm under 800 total and so far it pretty much shoots a ragged one hole group at 75. I'd be really amazed if this ruger hangs with aftermarket, but it does look good.

Hey guys hetman here out of DFW/Cisco : Just picked one up from Buds Guns - having it setup with Burris z-rings where it will dial from 25 to 200 yards- vortex 6x24x50 diamondback side focus to 10 yards to infinity- Mil/Mil FFP / Kidd 2 stage trigger set 8oz/8oz . leaving town tue 20th and will pick it up after I get back from week long hunting trip somewhere around 27 or 28th. will not be able to take it to 100yard for awhile but will see what it can do a 25yards on a indoor. I want to take it to the indoor 100 yard tube Bass pro shop has and find out what ammo it likes and what kind of groups it will shoot. this may be a couple weeks away. but will give 25 yard report sooner will only be shooting cci standard velocity to break the gun in with . no point in shooting high dollar ammo at 25 yards. I have been looking for a shooting review all over the net and have found exactly 0. that's how I found this thread. I am shooting a kidd 10/22 now & a cz455 practice gun. will see how this one will match up
Serial number on my new Ruger shows it to be the 2nd run around #500 ( if each run is a 1000 guns)

So there is well over 1500 guns out in the wild with 0 shooting reports?????????????

Reactions: Tucker301
Got back from hunting this past Tuesday. Picked up rifle from gunsmith Thursday. Had a vortex 6x24x50 FFP-Mil/Mil mounted in Burris Signature Zee rings ( rings set to allow 25 to 200yards of elevation ) Added a Kidd 2 stage / flat bow / trigger set to 8oz/8oz. As I stated I only had time to shoot at a 25 yard indoor range - using CCI Std. - ran approx. 200 rounds - shoots nice tight groups - scope works well & allows max Mag. and focus at 25 yards no problem- trigger is very nice - stock seemed to work well. 25 yards is no test . I want to take it to a indoor 100 yard shooting tube and find out what it will really do and will post results when that happens. Fluted barrel allows gun to balance well and seems lighter than it is. takes away the front heavy feel of conventual bull barrels .

So the general assumption is that KIDD is better, even though no one's tried the Ruger? It's an interesting concept.

I'd bet that the kidd is better, as well as the three I put together from blank TM receivers is better and those cost me under $800 with a $250 scope on it. Had fun building them for my nephews. Though I certainly understand that most would rather buy than build.

Last edited:
Mine is en-route for delivery to my local FFL. I should have it for this weekend, and am looking forward to seeing what its really like. All up cost delivered, with glass and rings is well less than the cost of an off the rack KIDD. Since my skills are rusty, I will be the limiting factor, I expect, rather than the rifle. I'd rather build then buy, but time is limited, and I'd rather shoot than not shoot.

SSB

I took delivery of the rifle tonight. I cannot yet post photos here, so no eye candy yet. I plan to get to the range tomorrow to shoot it, albeit at short distance. It feels a lot better than my other 10/22. Much less slop in the bolt, for example.

Hetman - what inserts did you set your up with to achieve 25 - 200?

sshow bob : according to my gunsmith he used the zees rings to take out most of the 30MOA rail that comes on the comp 10/22. he thinks that he used a +20moa ring on the front scope ring.

But : he also stated he dropped the case of inserts and they got mixed up so he was using a 22 collimator (bore sight) which he stated is different than the centerfire ones we normally use. and adjusted ring 's till they came inline. he also stated when he first put scope on with 0 moa ring inserts it was no where close.

I also had this happen on a 10/22 Kidd receiver on one of my other rifles that had a machined rail : most scopes I tried did not have enough elevation adjustment to be able to shoot at 25-50yards they were maxed out and still shooting 8-12 inches low. on that gun I believe we used -20 on one end and a +20 on the other end to get 40moa of correction

I have not been able to take 10/22 comp to a 50-100 yard range yet to stretch its legs yet. I was going to take it to bass pro in Grapevine and use there 100 yard indoor tunnel. But it is being restored/upgraded at this point in time and not sure when it will re open.

I have been shooting at a 25 yard indoor range and it shoot lights out but again this is not really showing what its capable of. But it is getting me use to stock and trigger & also the scope I have on it.

My friend and I have been playing bullseye shooting at the 25yard indoor using a target printed on 8.5x11 paper with 20 individual targets with .250 inch bullseye.

we are both shooting tricked out 10/22 and I have been winning so far ; gun will shoot well as long as you do your part.

we are handicapped a little on the benches we are shooting off of as they are only 18 to 24 inches wide and you cannot use a bipod & rear bags

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 621
Thanks for the insight, Hetman. I got my rifle Monday, and had a chance to shoot it Tuesday night, but only on a 50' indoor range. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to shoot at up to 200 yards on Sunday.

I mounted the scope up using Buris adjustable rings. I used 20 moa in the front and 5 moa in the rear, set to decrease the elevation by 15 degrees. (In other words, both sets of collars set to move the scope up.) Scope is Athlon Helos 6 -24 x 50 (MOA - I know; I think better in MOA) Athlon claims 60 MOA of range. 50 yard zero would mean that I'm halfway below the mid-travel. 150 yards would be mechanism centered. I could get to 270 on the dial.
The rifle feels really good to me. I haven't shot a Kidd, so I cannot compare. The action feels fell machined to tight tolerances - much tighter than my other 10/22. It feels like a well made thing. The trigger is good but not as good, at least on mine. I have a BX on my 10/22TD and its the same animal. This one is better than that one, but then I shoot a friend's cooper and it feels like they stuck a stapler in there instead of a trigger group. I have 200 rounds through it, and its better than it was, but if it doesn't really wear in on Sunday I will put something else in there.

50 feet is no test, so I cannot really comment on what its accuracy is. One hole for as many shots as you want, of course, at that range. Will zero and do a dot drill on Sunday.

Reactions: Lectricpro
So - its pretty good. Keep in mind that I have neither skill nor talent, but I understand the fundamentals and can follow instructions.

I spent two hours at the range this morning. Targets at 50, 100, 200 yards (and 300, but I never did anything more than lob a few rounds at that range. On the paper but didn't take the time to develop numbers). Shot 50 rounds each of several different types of ammunition to see what it liked best. Nothing shot appreciably better than CCI SV, so that's what I went forward with. No photos - hopefully next week.

Conditions were low 40's and gray. Wind light and variable.

Accuracy is better than I am. Shooting off a table with bipod and a rear bag I could consistently put shots into the 1" orange diamonds on my sighter targets at 100 yards, with only the occasional flier. Shots were somewhat randomly placed within the diamond. With two shots in succession, one might be high of center and one right. At 50 yards everything was in the diamonds unless I really screwed up the shot.

Hate the trigger. I am never sure when it will break. It behaves differently if allowed to travel forward only enough to reset, and if allowed to travel all the way forward between shots. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that.

The case is too small - bulges around the scope and doesn't take the rifle if the tripod is mounted.

I'm pretty happy with it.

SSB

If you'd rather not drop the coin on a completely new trigger assembly, Kidd sells a "Trigger Job Kit" that replaces the trigger parts in a Ruger factory polymer trigger housing for $105. You can order it alone or as a combo with some of their other performance parts such as their trigger pull tuning spring kit, auto bolt release, and magazine plunger upgrade.

It's not as slick as a completely new assembly in an aluminum housing (something they also offer) but it is a great value.

Reactions: oldfatguy
I have been shooting the new rifle a lot since it arrived, but forgot to come back and update. I have an NRL22 match this weekend. Will report afterward.

Short version - it shoots better than I do. Trigger has improved with shots through it. No problem holding an inch at 100y. Happy out to 300y. Not up to the standards of friend's Vudoo but for a quarter the price I am a happy customer.

I have been shooting the new rifle a lot since it arrived, but forgot to come back and update. I have an NRL22 match this weekend. Will report afterward.

Short version - it shoots better than I do. Trigger has improved with shots through it. No problem holding an inch at 100y. Happy out to 300y. Not up to the standards of friend's Vudoo but for a quarter the price I am a happy customer.
Do they have a aluminum bedding block like the titan?

I shot my first NRL22 match on Sunday, and was able to use the new 10/22 as intended. I also shot for a couple of hours last Saturday gathering data and screwing around. I remain very happy with my purchase. I am not a great shooter. This is not an expensive gun. YMMV. Do not taunt happy fun ball, etc.

Travelor - what i meant by it shoots better than I do, is that I have yet to find its upper limit when I shoot properly, but that I'm not yet that good, and screw up shots frequently. Quantitative results below.

I've been shooting CCI SV. I had a number of other types of ammo and a few weeks ago I did 50 round tests from a concrete bench in cold but no wind conditions. Nothing I had shot substantially better than the CCI SV I had. It turns out I'd stumbled into a good lot, and a subsequent lot wasn't quite as good.

I have a range at my farm, but haven't been able to use it for a little while due to mud and flooding. We've been shooting at a range nearby. There is a bench house with excellent concrete benches looking out at a 300 yard range. Berms and target racks at 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300. Off the bench with the bipod and a rear bag, I can put 10 out of 10 on a six inch target at 300. That's two MOA - not cosmic but serviceable. Two of the guys I shoot with - both of whom shoot better than I do, one much better - could do the same. Good rifle, not a good shooter. Last Saturday I shot two three inch groups under 1.5 inches at 300. Witnessed by a friend through his big spotting scope. Conditions were cold - about 20 degrees - and no appreciable wind. Remaining groups were bigger, but on the six inch target.

If I pay attention groups at 50 yards are ragged holes. Groups at 100 yards are less than an inch. About 1 shot in 10 is a flier - usually 2 - 3 inches at 100 yards. Usually I screw up and make a bad shot at least 1 in 10 - I usually know the shot is no good before I pull the trigger, and the shot usually winds up where I knew it was going to go. I don't know why I still pull the trigger.

One of the guys I shoot with has a new to him Tac Sol. This shoots better, though his feels a lot better. the BX-5 trigger in mine is crunchier but breaks much lighter than the Tac Sol trigger in his. He wound up shooting the match with my rifle because he was getting light strike misfires, but we got enough rounds through his to compare. The Ruger shoots better. Its certainly more reliable.

I had been buying ammunition a couple of hundred rounds at a time from my LGS. Prior to the match we ordered 5000 rounds of CCI SV - and didn't get as lucky. We will shoot it - and share it with anyone who wants some - and try again.

The match was fun but very difficult. We shot with Green Mountain Rifle Club at Camp Ethan Allen in Vermont. It was cold, snowing hard, and very windy. It wasn't a fair test for the rifle, but was a heck of a test for us. My misses were the product of bad technique - when I did my part, I hit the targets.

I will try to remember to take target photos next time out.

SSB

Nice write up, i have a couple of Ruger 10/22s and I am playing around with them to upgrade the accuracy more for a fun project to work on guns,
I am left handed but think I'm going to stick to right handed eject rifle, for a custom build but i might consider the Ruger 10/22 competion model.

Nice write up, I have been playing with my Ruger 10/22s to customize them for fun,they are great guns since so many aftermarket parts are made i get to learn on the internal functions of guns . I am considering purchasing a 10/22 Ruger Competition, it looks like Ruger has done a very good job on this rifle, i like the idea of a 30 moa rail but i am a bit concern on the stock, if i wanted to changed the stock since this model uses a 2 screw stock to receiver attachment vs the traditional Ruger 10/22 uses a one screw attachment does anybody know if the aftermarket stocks can be modified for the 2nd screw attachment ?. I do not plan to change it however i would like it as a future possibility in case i don't like the stock setup.

Reactions: bobc186
Today I shot a funny match with this rifle. While at a local gun club taking the required range orientation, the club was putting on a .22 benchrest competition, so I signed up. 100 yards. 3 standard NRA 100 Yard targets, 10 shots each. Scope limited to 10 power. Conditions were very cold - ~18 degrees, and blowing 15 gusts to 30, with a lot of swirl. Often a wind indicator at 25 yards would be pointing 180 degrees to one at 75 yards, e.g. (This is match number two with this rifle and I am getting tired of shooting on cold wind days!)

Results were promising for the conditions, but not indicative of what the rifle can do. First two targets were for 94 / 100 points. Third target I went to crap, largely screwing up because I was cold, and only shot to 87. On each of the first two targets I had at least two ragged hole groups of three. The serious guys were slightly but not significantly better, except first and second place, each of whom has held benchrest records. Short version - if I shoot, this rifle shoots. (Still shooting CCI SV).

Take aways - there is an advantage to the semi on crappy days because you can wait for a bit of a lull and rock off a number of shots quickly before the wind comes up; and, it was funny to see the serious guys with heavy wooden benchrest guns on very heavy sleds (and lots of knitwear) react to the dude with the 10/22 on a bipod using my medkit for a rear bag; and then again when there were not 30s delays between my shots; and, then again when I did ok.

SSB

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
Even if I could get this for let's say $700, even $600, It's legitimately cheaper to buy a dirt cheap, clean generic minimum spec 10/22, then upgrade the parts. I made my dream hunting / target 10/22 with ~$500, got a new barrel, threw it in a hogue stock, timny trigger for it was like $130 on sale. Kidd extended charging handle, I got a few other misc Kidd parts, an extractor / bolt buffer. Didn't go for the whole bolt replacement, but you can basically get all match grade parts on a 10/22 for $300-600 depending on how high end you want to go. Sure you can always find more expensive stuff and maybe even squeeze out a tiny bit more accuracy. Even if you want to have a gunsmith do the work for you, it's so easy to do that they probably wouldn't charge much.

Or at least they shouldn't.

Reactions: NewsShooter
You may be correct. Somewhere above someone else commented that this was a rifle for someone who wanted to buy not build. I replied that I preferred to build than to buy, but did not have the time to spend that way last fall when I bought this rifle. I am not a fanboi. There are many better rifles than this one. I'm just trying to document my experience for those who might be interested in buying one for themselves.

That said, I could not build this rifle for less than I paid for it. I got it for about $650 delivered to my local FFL. I could not start with an empty bench and build this gun for that. If I factor in the cost of my time, its not close. I'm not saying you couldn't do it; but I for sure could not.

SSB

You may be correct. Somewhere above someone else commented that this was a rifle for someone who wanted to buy not build. I replied that I preferred to build than to buy, but did not have the time to spend that way last fall when I bought this rifle. I am not a fanboi. There are many better rifles than this one. I'm just trying to document my experience for those who might be interested in buying one for themselves.

That said, I could not build this rifle for less than I paid for it. I got it for about $650 delivered to my local FFL. I could not start with an empty bench and build this gun for that. If I factor in the cost of my time, its not close. I'm not saying you couldn't do it; but I for sure could not.

SSB

That is precisely the point and the appeal of this rifle.
My free time is precious and the time I spend working earns more than the value of the hours spent searching for deals, amassing components, and tinkering with gunsmithing.
It's not an argument about which is better. It's which is better for you.
I just bought a Daniel Defense DD4M7, for example.
Sure, I could have looked around for deals and put the components of a high end AR together on my own, and likely had a rifle that performs as well as the DD, but instead I used that time to make the money to pay for that rifle and three more like it by doing what I do best and charging clients for it.

This is a "stay in your lane" rifle, and it's niche that Ruger has allowed others to exploit on their brilliant platform for far too long.
They're not going to kill VQ or Kidd with any of it, and they're not going to affect the home shop builders much either, but it's low-hanging fruit in their back yard, so why not?

Build a rifle. Buy a rifle. Whatever works for you.