• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Gunsite Scout 16" 308 and Nomad 30 - Supersonic hunting Ammo recommendation?

NewType1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2022
Nowhere, Kansas
Ruger Gunsite Scout 16" 308 1:10 twist and Nomad 30 - Supersonic hunting Ammo recommendation? Not sure if this matters but my scope is a Burris 2-7x32mm Scout Scope.

Hello. My first bolt action is on the way and I'm hoping to get a few safe ammo recommendations. What grain weight should I be looking for? Other than looking for keyholing (or a baffle strike) how will I know if I am seeing good or bad results once I take it to the range?

I don't and have no interest in making my own ammo. I just want to buy something off the shelf or order it.

Thank you!

If you are hunting big game, I had great success in Africa with the Norma 180 grain bonded ammo in 308; they generally run some pretty good sales.
I have a good bit of their lighter wieght hunting ammo (i think they call it Whitetail?), but haven't shot any game with it, so I can't speak to its performance.
Good hunting!

Reactions: NewType1
You should be able to use up to 200 gr without worry in a short 10 twist.

As to whether its good or bad result, thats mainly up to you if it hits your standards.

I would buy a box of everything you can find local, shoot it and find what gives you the best results.

Might be hard to test too much accuracy with a 7x scope but for a hunting rifle with a 7x scope you wont need to have match winning accuracy to kill some critters. Personally I prefer the 150gr range for normal hunting for the decreased recoil.

3 different Federal Fusion loads. -50, 165, & 180 gr. All reasonably accurate in my 1:10 20” Savage barrel. All around 2.5 to 3” groups at 300 yards. The 150’s are moving pretty good at about 2750 FPS cfrom that 20” 1:10 barrel.

I hunt with Barnes 150 gr Vortx ammo in my Ruger Gunsite. It wouldn't be my choice for longer range (the Barnes bullets really need high velocity to perform correctly), but in the woods in Alabama I'm not shooting very far anyway. Shoots ~1 MOA in my rifle, does serious work on game, and always exits making a bigger blood trail to track through the woods if necessary.