• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision almost a decade old, are they still holding up?

Was it worth it?

• Yes, and still enjoying it

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Yes, it was, but I’ve moved on

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No, and I’ll tell you why

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
I was thinking about the ol RPR and how much it was a pretty neat rifle when it hit the shelves in 2015. I remember wanting an AI but I didn’t have the budget. The RPR checked a LOT of boxes and for the cost you were getting a LOT for your money.

I even remember HMFIC doing a really nice write up where he bolted all the whiz bang upgrades on his. The market was lining up to make aftermarket parts galore. Proof is still making pre fits so I wouldn’t consider it a “flash in the pan”

I still take mine out regularly and enjoy every minute of it. I just wanted to know if you fellows are still enjoying yours or was it just an entry level rifle you have moved past?

I still like mine for prone matches. January 2016 was the first match I shot with it, Mid Range Prone.

I had it out yesterday checking zero and velocities with a new to me Garmin chrono. I quit counting rounds on that barrel a long time ago, but, it's about done. I have a couple of Kriegers for it. It'll be around for a while longer, unless someone gifts me a Tubb2000.

It still has the original trigger. Was wondering recently what the best current two stage trigger might be.

I still like mine for prone matches. January 2016 was the first match I shot with it, Mid Range Prone.

I had it out yesterday checking zero and velocities with a new to me Garmin chrono. I quit counting rounds on that barrel a long time ago, but, it's about done. I have a couple of Kriegers for it. It'll be around for a while longer, unless someone gifts me a Tubb2000.

It still has the original trigger. Was wondering recently what the best current two stage trigger might be.

Not sure on the “best” trigger out there. Im still running the stock trigger too. I was eyeballing the Timney but always spent the $ on more ammo.

I had 2 of them. But sold them when prices started to creep up and put that money in to a couple of Origins.

They were great for the money, but I wanted to get in to the "standard R700" market for stocks and triggers.

If you're the kind of person that doesn't need to tinker with things, then it works. I say the same thing about Tikka. Small mods make sense, but if you ever plan to go crazy with customization, then it probably makes more sense in the long run to put that money in to something else.

Reactions: Ronws and johnnyvw
I was thinking about the ol RPR and how much it was a pretty neat rifle when it hit the shelves in 2015. I remember wanting an AI but I didn’t have the budget. The RPR checked a LOT of boxes and for the cost you were getting a LOT for your money.

I even remember HMFIC doing a really nice write up where he bolted all the whiz bang upgrades on his. The market was lining up to make aftermarket parts galore. Proof is still making pre fits so I wouldn’t consider it a “flash in the pan”

I still take mine out regularly and enjoy every minute of it. I just wanted to know if you fellows are still enjoying yours or was it just an entry level rifle you have moved past?
They weren’t worth the money when they were $1,000… They’re twice that now, and quality has dropped. No way in hell i’d own one. I just looked at a new one at my LGS a few weeks ago…The action felt like a Ruger American in a fancy chassis. AKA - cheap junk.

They weren’t worth the money when they were $1,000… They’re twice that now, and quality has dropped. No way in hell i’d own one. I just looked at a new one at my LGS a few weeks ago…The action felt like a Ruger American in a fancy chassis. AKA - cheap junk.

$2,000?! Well to be fair things don’t cost more, our currency is just worth less.

All that’s aside, no way I’d pay $2,000 for mine. But I got mine for $800 so I’m liking it even more now.

Reactions: JLandis and Ronws
Not that this is particularly to the “holding up” question,

They entered the market at the right time. When savage was starting to be the “psa” style company. Coming out with cheaper options that people wanted. The 10/110 BA was out there and others in the works. When Ruger came out with the precision rifle it was an upgrade at that time.

Personally I played with several at my local gun shop. They always had a few models. Even considered getting one before I got my first AI. Even watched franks video comparing the two

I just couldn’t get past the flimsy buttstock when I handled it. Or at least I remember that being an issue to me

Since then as noted the RPR which could be had for $800 easily in the px here has crept up in price. With the options available now days both in factory upgrades to any platform and build your own options or buying barreled actions and dropping in a chassis it be hard to justify $1500-$2000. Especially if you have to rebarrel it if the accuracy isn’t up to par

I haven’t seen one on the shelf in that gun store for some time now. Likely due to the price tags that they’re not flying off the shelf

This is just my perspective. I’d be interested to see in today’s market how many of these $2000 rugers or savages actually get sold. I remember when $1200 for a savage was their top end. Same for the Ruger. They’re now near Tikka Tac A1 prices but the tikka will trump them in the quality department based on my experience using all three.

Reactions: lash and ELCO82
Still shooting mine occasionally. In the process of rebuilding it one more time. @hafejd30 you are right about the buttstock. The Target Tool stock is such a great upgrade, I think if Ruger is really serious about promoting their custom shop model, they ought to license it and build it at Pine Tree Castings.

But alas, I went to a lighter buttstock because I am making it a light rifle.

It is a good starter rifle for PRS, but boy it sure cries out for a better Buttstock. Even the Magpul versions are so much better.

As far as holding out, I see a lot of people here and a ton of people on the RPR facebook page getting excited about their RPR’s. Possibly the best and most important model introduction for Ruger since the Flat Gate Single Six of 1953

The Latest appearance of mine.
IMG_1343.jpeg

I had one briefly when they went for $800, and it seemed like a solid entry-level option at that price. When I see used ones going for $1200-1400 these days, I always think to myself that I can get a Tikka CTR in a Bravo for that and have an overall nicer rifle. 🤷‍♂️

For a first good rifle at the time as a never-ever, it was an "easy button". I think my wife and I paid about $1200 for each of ours. It was a good entry to shooting longer distances. At $2000, I would have been looking at other options. These days it's not too difficult to find better options here on this forum (which I was also not aware of at the time) for that kind of money. But even today, you shouldn't have to pay more than $1500 for a new one.

For a first good rifle at the time as a never-ever, it was an "easy button". I think my wife and I paid about $1200 for each of ours. It was a good entry to shooting longer distances. At $2000, I would have been looking at other options. These days it's not too difficult to find better options here on this forum (which I was also not aware of at the time) for that kind of money. But even today, you shouldn't have to pay more than $1500 for a new one.
Actually this past November a local gun shop in Ft Walton had one for about that price. When I purchased mine in 2017 that same gunshop sold it for 1300 and the one up the road had one for the list price which was 1500. Both of these were in 6.5 Creedmoor and at that time the 6.5’s were very scarce. (Mine was the first one I ever saw in that caliber). I was so deep into handgun silhouette, I had never really heard of Precision Rifle until I read the article in American Rifleman.

Back then, it was pretty much the bees knees. Now, judging from the many posts I see here and elsewhereI believe it hangs on, not as a rifle for PRS or NRL but more so for the causal shooter or a shooter who is interested in the magnum calibers. Though, yes I still see posts from fellows who just purchased one in 6.5 Creedmoor. And yes, they are excited about the way it shoots.

Speaking of price, locally, several LGS’s are offering RPR’s though Davidson for $1669.

Reactions: lash
For prone matches that cheep junk was good for High Master Mid Range and Master Long Range. The ammo cost far more than the rifle.

$2,000?! Well to be fair things don’t cost more, our currency is just worth less.

All that’s aside, no way I’d pay $2,000 for mine. But I got mine for $800 so I’m liking it even more now.
The new one at my LGS had a $1995 retail price tag on it. No fucking way id even pay half that for it. It had so much bolt slop, bolt “zip” noise, and jankyness to it, it was terrible.
For prone matches that cheep junk was good for High Master Mid Range and Master Long Range. The ammo cost far more than the rifle.
Justify your purchase you however you need to, but my opinion remains.

Still have 2, one in 6 and one in 6.5 Creed. Factory barrels are long gone. Shoot them at 850-1000 for steel silhouette matches. Trigger spring removed from both. Tried someone else's with a Timney. Didn't see it worth the money.

Still have factory buttstocks, one with an aftermarket butt pad. Other than that, they are pretty much original with the exception of some paint work.

20200430_172740.jpg
20240302_161058.jpg

Had one briefly and promptly sold it to a friend.
I disliked the buttstock, the bolt felt like it was made by Datsun, and mine had a problem and the safety got stuck. That required loosening the screws and getting the lower wiggled into the right position and tightening so it wouldn’t bind.

It shot precisely though.
is reliable.
Good trigger.

The friend that still has it likes it.

I bought the "magnum" version because it was about the cheapest, I could get into a 338 Lapua. I just wanted to scratch that itch for some reason...... :unsure: I think I have shot it three times. A friend of mine had one 6.5CM it served him well for getting into a little LR banging steel out to 600yds.

Ancient engineering principle:

If it works, don't fix it.

I don't have an RPR but for someone who has it and it still does what they need, so be it.

However, yeah, at the modern price points, one might as well go more premium. And I say that as a guy who has a few budget rifles. And I have changed to chassis and other stuff and if I totaled the cost of assorted expenditures, it might equal one "pricey" gun that started out doing what I wanted.

However, I kind of like the semi-DIY. When Brownell's would offer Howa barreled actions and you built around that. You might be spending 3G after all is said and done but you have a rifle built to you.

Then, given enough scratch, I would be tempted to go to a custom gunsmith in my little town. He will build you a rifle from the wood or chassis up. It will cost a penny or two but it will be a shooter.

Reactions: Carlos Danger
I took my new son-in-law out shooting today.
It was his very first time shooting.

By the time the day was up, he was banging steel at 550 yds with the RPR in .308. He was struggling with other weapons, but It was almost too easy for him with the RPR. (Bipod & bag) I dialed it up so he could see his breathing and heart beat movements effect on his POA, which helped him understand how little he had to move to make it or any other weapon miss. Next time out we’ll set the targets out farther, but hitting out a ways made his day.

We worked on handgun also.

I’m gonna need a lot more ammo....

I took my new son-in-law out shooting today.
It was his very first time shooting.

By the time the day was up, he was banging steel at 550 yds with the RPR in .308. He was struggling with other weapons, but It was almost too easy for him with the RPR. (Bipod & bag) I dialed it up so he could see his breathing and heart beat movements effect on his POA, which helped him understand how little he had to move to make it or any other weapon miss. Next time out we’ll set the targets out farther, but hitting out a ways made his day.

We worked on handgun also.

I’m gonna need a lot more ammo....
Great way to bond with the SIL

I bought the "magnum" version because it was about the cheapest, I could get into a 338 Lapua. I just wanted to scratch that itch for some reason...... :unsure: I think I have shot it three times. A friend of mine had one 6.5CM it served him well for getting into a little LR banging steel out to 600yds.
I ended up with a 300wm when I was looking to scratch that particular itch. My main driver between the two ended up being cost to shoot though. I shot out my first barrel and bought a new one for less than the ammo to shoot out a 338 lapau.

I bought 1 shortly after they came out in 6creed, think I paid 775 or 825 for it from buds. Mainly wanted to see what the big deal was with it and 6creed(diehard 243 fast twist shooter). Factory barrel was slow and 3/4moa at best, also freebore or chamber was crooked to rifling or rifling was shallow on 1 side, bullet would only show rifling engraving on 1 half when I was measuring seating depth. Bolt was so so, but I was comparing it to the ae mk3 and at I had. Buttstock was solid, as were adjustments, it did have a bunch of sharp edges though. Forend was canted badly, and trigger was a solid meh. I upgraded the barrel to a criterion prefit 6creed and a timney 2 stage trigger. It shot really good after that and made me like the 6creed, but the rifle always seemed just a cheap copycat to an ai. I sold it to a friend that didn't have an ai, and he's been happy with it.

I think the ruger, at old prices, is like a savage. It's a good entry point, but the problem with rifles like it are: you change forend, buttstock, trigger, barrel, grip, and rail and now you have a 2500 rpr that's worth normal rpr price. A wise man on here once said to just save your money up until you have enough to buy an ai or a custom build, instead of buying a savage or rem to piece together. That guy was smart and wished I'd listened to him early.

think the ruger, at old prices, is like a savage. It's a good entry point, but the problem with rifles like it are: you change forend, buttstock, trigger, barrel, grip, and rail and now you have a 2500 rpr that's worth normal rpr price. A wise man on here once said to just save your money up until you have enough to buy an ai or a custom build, instead of buying a savage or rem to piece together. That guy was smart and wished I'd listened to him early.
Totally
Early on I dumped a pile of money in a Rem 700 trying to make it into something it wasn't, at the end of the day you're definitely money ahead going with a custom action and building what you want.

I checked out an RPR and everything about it felt like hot garbage.
With today's factory prices a guys best bet is to get a $900 Origin action, a $500 quality prefit, about $1000 for a triggertech and chassis, and you're set for under $2500

Totally
Early on I dumped a pile of money in a Rem 700 trying to make it into something it wasn't, at the end of the day you're definitely money ahead going with a custom action and building what you want.

I checked out an RPR and everything about it felt like hot garbage.
With today's factory prices a guys best bet is to get a $900 Origin action, a $500 quality prefit, about $1000 for a triggertech and chassis, and you're set for under $2500
While I wouldn’t give up my customs for the RPR, when I bought mine for 900 dollars when it first hit the market it’s been a great shooter. Better than my first rem 700 I ever bought. Now for what they cost today, yeah I wouldn’t buy it.

The new one at my LGS had a $1995 retail price tag on it. No fucking way id even pay half that for it. It had so much bolt slop, bolt “zip” noise, and jankyness to it, it was terrible.

Justify your purchase you however you need to, but my opinion remains.
Yeah, you have a lot of opinions. Thanks for being so generous.

But no actual experience.

Grab a Gun shows a bright red 6.5cm RPR in stock for $1191.99 right now, and GAP shows the PPR available for order for $2999.99.

Shot another match today with the old RPR, still way easy to shoot well.

Problem I have is that it got me hooked on the prone matches, but I also shoot them with the service rifle too since they allowed scopes.

And, I still can't decide if I want a wood stocked prone rifle or an Eliseo UMR. Actually, both would be nice.

Reactions: Ronws
Yeah, you have a lot of opinions. Thanks for being so generous.

But no actual experience.
I have shot several of them that belonged to other people over the years...Including the rimfire versions, which actually impressed me much more than the centerfire version. Don't always assume my opinions are backed by nothing more than thoughts out of thin air, I've been shooting and been around this industry a REALLY long time, and over the years I've handled and shot hundreds of firearms that didn't actually belong to me. Someone offers to let me shoot their gun that I've never seen or shot before, or is having an issue and wants help diagnosing an issue, I'll almost always take them up on the offer, and to be helpful, out of purely educational experience to add to the list. And while the guns might not have belonged to me, it gave me some sort of hands-on experience and first-person information that I needed to form an opinion. Don't get so butthurt, it makes you look weak.

I picked up a gen 1 in 2017 I don’t even remember what I paid. It replaced a savage FCPK10 which was the first rifle I shot to 1000 yards. Someone helped themselves to it on a robbery and after about 6 months of not shooting I got the RPR.

It’s an amazingly accurate rifle. The bolt is sloppy, the ergos are kinda weird, and the round rail needs to be flat. I took it out today for the first time in probably 18 months. I waited for the PRS match to finish at the range I was going to. I was the only factory rifle there. Lots of custom actions in ACC chassis, massive spotting scopes, and all the latest greatest. My old Ruger with an old HD gen II scope and cheapo Harris bipod made hits just as easy as the fancy guns out to 1150. The wind got me after that. That said I do want to build a R700 clone like a defiance or Zeus just because

I have shot several of them that belonged to other people over the years...Including the rimfire versions, which actually impressed me much more than the centerfire version. Don't always assume my opinions are backed by nothing more than thoughts out of thin air, I've been shooting and been around this industry a REALLY long time, and over the years I've handled and shot hundreds of firearms that didn't actually belong to me. Someone offers to let me shoot their gun that I've never seen or shot before, or is having an issue and wants help diagnosing an issue, I'll almost always take them up on the offer, and to be helpful, out of purely educational experience to add to the list. And while the guns might not have belonged to me, it gave me some sort of hands-on experience and first-person information that I needed to form an opinion. Don't get so butthurt, it makes you look weak.

Yeah, ok.

OP's question was:

But, hey, like I said, you threw your not-necessarily relevant opinion, that had nothing to do with the original question, in there. You seem to do that alot. I only noticed because of your "look at me" screenname.

Not butthurt at all, and couldn't give two shits about your opinion about how "weak" I look on an anonymous internet board.

Carry on being you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Yeah, ok.

OP's question was:

But, hey, like I said, you threw your not-necessarily relevant opinion, that had nothing to do with the original question, in there. You seem to do that alot. I only noticed because of your "look at me" screenname.

Not butthurt at all, and couldn't give two shits about your opinion about how "weak" I look on an anonymous internet board.

Carry on being you.
I will, I don't need your permission. Oh, and the irony of the fact you interjected your unnecessary and irrelevant opinions into this thread, is hilarious. 👍🏼

OK, run of the mill Rugers are like late 1960’s Ford and Chevrolet 3/4 ton pickups. They arn't the top of the line, they may well be a bit ragged around the edges, they ride rough as buckboards, and there might even be a lemon or two among the apples, but

They always seem to work, they get the job done, but they are simply not the top of the shooting world. Want a top custom, no problem, shell out the 5 grand or more and enjoy. Want something that will work, but maybe not break the bank, maybe an RPR might still work for you.

My point, yes a custom you put together will work, probably much better than a current RPR. However, how many fellows jsut starting out, really have the desire and possibly even the ability to put together a rifle. It takes tools, time and it costs. When a fellow needed a car to learn how to drive, he did not gather the parts and build an award winning 32 Ford Roadster, from scratch, in his garage to learn to drive in.

its the prespective.

lastly And the original question was “do you still enjoy yours?” Yes, I still enjoy taking mine out and throwing a few rounds through her, especially she being the last 6.5 Creedmoor on the place. And for all the Creedmoor haters, Yes, I still enjoy shooting the Creedmoor and often wonder why I switched to 6’s for my main precision rifles. (Addendum: well not today, my main 6GT was running like a top, hitting everything I shot at that I had a clue as to the range.). Added at 3:07PM

Oh, one of the nicest rifles I have ever had the privilege to shoot was a Ruger 416. Nice in every way. Shot good too. Yes, Ruger can make some very nice rifles and handguns, but in reality, their business is to serve those who truly “can’t” afford the best but want something that works.

Last edited:
OK, run of the mill Rugers are like late 1960’s Ford and Chevrolet 3/4 ton pickups. They arn't the top of the line, they may well be a bit ragged around the edges, they ride rough as buckboards, and there might even be a lemon or two among the apples, but

They always seem to work, they get the job done, but they are simply not the top of the shooting world. Want a top custom, no problem, shell out the 5 grand or more and enjoy. Want something that will work, but maybe not break the bank, maybe an RPR might still work for you.

My point, yes a custom you put together will work, probably much better than a current RPR. However, how many fellows jsut starting out, really have the desire and possibly even the ability to put together a rifle. It takes tools, time and it costs. When a fellow needed a car to learn how to drive, he did not gather the parts and build an award winning 32 Ford Roadster, from scratch, in his garage to learn to drive in.

its the prespective.

lastly And the original question was “do you still enjoy yours?” Yes, I still enjoy taking mine out and throwing a few rounds through her, especially she being the last 6.5 Creedmoor on the place. And for all the Creedmoor haters, Yes, I still enjoy shooting the Creedmoor and often wonder why I switched to 6’s for my main precision rifles. (Addendum: well not today, my main 6GT was running like a top, hitting everything I shot at that I had a clue as to the range.). Added at 3:07PM

Oh, one of the nicest rifles I have ever had the privilege to shoot was a Ruger 416. Nice in every way. Shot good too. Yes, Ruger can make some very nice rifles and handguns, but in reality, their business is to serve those who truly “can’t” afford the best but want something that works.
This whole reply could be aimed at ruger, rem, howa or savage. Ruger didn't build anything crazy great, but it was checked enough boxes and did have a Lego-like build able quality.

Reactions: long range sponge
A person has to remember when comparing these rifles we’re talking about 3 generations of rifles

- The 15 year ago savage. Where savage and rem dominated the market. Limited stocks and almost no chassis. Aftermarket decent for R700 not so much for savage. But savage was more accurate and could have a barrel swap done in the garage after ordering a barrel and few tools from NSS and a trigger that was adjustable to ounces

- The 5-10 year ago market. Where Rem quality went up and down like a fat kid on a sea saw. But the market for factory rifles with chassis/adjustable triggers and barrel swaps became increasingly popular. The beginning of this is where RPR entered the market.

- Then we have modern day where you can have almost any option which can be assembled at your kitchen table. Or a competitive rifle from factory in everything including tikka and seekins all of which can be swapped parts in your garage

When you’re playing in a market where aftermarket barrels are readily available for all platforms it’s hard to justify a factory setup that was legit 10 years ago for the $1500-$2000 price point now.

Especially with a forum with a px like this one. Its almost a no brainer to cruise through that and pick out parts now

It was legit when it was introduced though

This whole reply could be aimed at ruger, rem, howa or savage. Ruger didn't build anything crazy great, but it was checked enough boxes and did have a Lego-like build able quality.
I’ve always been a Ford or Chevy guy.
But more power to you high-rollers that can afford better!

I’ve always been a Ford or Chevy guy.
But more power to you high-rollers that can afford better!
Can literally have a solus pva spun up for 1150, add a bravo stock and trigger tech and be at or just under a bonestock rpr. The rpr today is literally a Datsun at tesla price.

Reactions: FuhQ
Can literally have a solus pva spun up for 1150, add a bravo stock and trigger tech and be at or just under a bonestock rpr. The rpr today is literally a Datsun at tesla price.
The price of everything today is in a state of flux.
And of course, my RPR was purchased years ago.
I haven’t found a reason to retire or replace it.
Nor have I priced a new one either.

Reactions: 6brshooter
The price of everything today is in a state of flux.
And of course, my RPR was purchased years ago.
I haven’t found a reason to retire or replace it.
Nor have I priced a new one either.
Yeah, not arguing with you about your old one. To be clear, my point was that the rpr today is not exactly the deal it was 10 yrs ago. At 800-maybe 1000, sure, if it will be shot as is. If you bought one at 900.00 with the intention of swapping out everything.....there's alot better choices. At 1500+(today's prices), there's no way an informed person buys one.

Edit: for the record I've owned several savages that I rebarreled and restocked(I even had 2 savages in aics). I was in the camp of it shoots just as good as an ai. Then I bought an ai and a few customs......a factory rem, savage, Tikka, or rpr can not even compare. Does that make them worthless, nope, but it does say alot about the person saying they're "just as gud!".

I’ve had several of these, still own one. They are not high end rifles but for the $1K or so you can actually buy them for it’s hard to go wrong. I’d still buy one today too. Doug Koenig certainly seems to do pretty well with one too.

All of mine were gen 1’s and I think I paid $700-800 for them. The one I have now wears a Proof 6.5CM prefit and a Seekins handguard and is a 1/4moa rifle. One of my factory 243’s was also a 1/4moa gun but the others were .5-.75moa guns which is still more than acceptable. The only issue I’ve ever had with any of them is on one of them the little claw tabs for the stock adjustment broke. Ruger sent me a baggy with several replacements and I haven’t had another break. Mine has over 4K on the action too, the original barrel was pulled at close to 3K because it started throwing fliers.

Just don’t expect to get an AI quality rifle for $1K and you’ll be ok.

Last edited:
A brand new RPR goes for just under 1400, the 1900-2000 dollar prices you are seeing are for the Ruger Custom Shop models.
At 1400, not a terrible deal, you can upgrade the buttstock, our work gun is a gen 1 .308 that we installed a commercial buffer tube and a Luth AR MBA 3 buttstock. Makes adjustments far easier, more adjustment range and the stock is more comfortable.
The damn thing shoots way better than it should.
You are hard pressed to get as much out of 1400 dollars, the major downside is you are locked into the form factor.
I think they still have a place, you can buy one, add a closeout XTR II and have a very rifle with a scope for just over 2,000.
This sport NEEDS rifles like the RPR to get new shooters into the sport.

For me it was an entry level rifle that checked all the boxes for a new shooter at an affordable price. Shot well and mine had zero problems with the stock and was a .6 MOA rifle right out of the box. Real solid for the money. I eventually got the "custom" bug and sold it to fund a build.
Now the prices have gone up quite a bit so I don't think it's really a good buy...$1600 for an RPR or $1900-2000 for an Origin or CDG build in a Bravo...People could even save a few $$ picking up some of the things here in the PX which I think would be a better investment in the long run.

The RPR was my first precision rifle and I still own and shoot it. I have since learned how to build my own rifles and while I will admit that I have the temptation to custom build a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, my RPR still shoots so good it makes it hard to justify the cost of a custom build to replace something that still shoots so good. I am still on my original barrel and have a another barrel ready to go.

A brand new RPR goes for just under 1400, the 1900-2000 dollar prices you are seeing are for the Ruger Custom Shop models.
At 1400, not a terrible deal, you can upgrade the buttstock, our work gun is a gen 1 .308 that we installed a commercial buffer tube and a Luth AR MBA 3 buttstock. Makes adjustments far easier, more adjustment range and the stock is more comfortable.
The damn thing shoots way better than it should.
You are hard pressed to get as much out of 1400 dollars, the major downside is you are locked into the form factor.
I think they still have a place, you can buy one, add a closeout XTR II and have a very rifle with a scope for just over 2,000.
This sport NEEDS rifles like the RPR to get new shooters into the sport.
MSRP on a standard is $2k. But as you said, street price is around $1400-1500

I know that all are speaking of the 6.5CM but I have an RPR 223 that I purchased for just over $800 new when it came out, I sure loved it, don't know how many rounds but many. Have not gotten it from the safe for over three years, built an Origin in 223 four years ago, and now thinking of upgrading the barrel on the RPR. What would be a good choice for the RPR 223? Open to any suggestions.

I know that all are speaking of the 6.5CM but I have an RPR 223 that I purchased for just over $800 new when it came out, I sure loved it, don't know how many rounds but many. Have not gotten it from the safe for over three years, built an Origin in 223 four years ago, and now thinking of upgrading the barrel on the RPR. What would be a good choice for the RPR 223? Open to any suggestions.
6x45