• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Buy a single piece 2" offset cantilever mount. Vortex is an excellent maker.

Last edited:
New to the precision rifle scene, just bought this rpr 6.5 creedmoor, with Vortex Venom 5-25x56 scope. Still need to buy a scope mount and bipod. What scope mounts would be recommended?
Check out Audere too.
7075 billet alloy, made in the land of Ferrari 🇮🇹

I have a Gen 3 6.5 and a Gen 2 6mm CM, the Gen 3 has a titanium bolt shroud… the Gen 2 is factory aluminum.

Is there any reason to upgrade the Gen 2? I know the Gen 1 had plastic shrouds, but does the anarchy aluminum/titanium shroud do anything the factory one doesn’t?

I have a Gen 3 6.5 and a Gen 2 6mm CM, the Gen 3 has a titanium bolt shroud… the Gen 2 is factory aluminum.

Is there any reason to upgrade the Gen 2? I know the Gen 1 had plastic shrouds, but does the anarchy aluminum/titanium shroud do anything the factory one doesn’t?
Have a Gen1 that I did upgrade the shroud on. Looks better and it’s probably something they decided to do better on Gen2. If it doesn’t bother you don’t change it. It’s not very expensive anyway.

EDIT— As I recall the Gen1 had a recall about the plastic shroud. Ruger sent a metal replacement for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: geek65
One of the first thing I did when I purchased my gen 1 was to change the shroud to a Ti version, then I added the muzzle brake.

One of the first thing I did when I purchased my gen 1 was to change the shroud to a Ti version, then I added the muzzle brake.
Im picking up the gen 2 this coming week, so Ill compare. The coated bolt on the gen 3 is MUCH slicker than I remember my old gen 2 being. No "zipper" noise at all.

I want a timney trigger in it, my tikkas were a tad better, but the ruger adjusted down, im having a hard time justifying $200+ to make a very small difference.

Im picking up the gen 2 this coming week, so Ill compare. The coated bolt on the gen 3 is MUCH slicker than I remember my old gen 2 being. No "zipper" noise at all.

I want a timney trigger in it, my tikkas were a tad better, but the ruger adjusted down, im having a hard time justifying $200+ to make a very small difference.
I put a Geissele SSA-E, sanded it (1000 grit) and adjusted it to about 1# . Great bench shooter!

My son won the 600 yards benchrest competition (factory class), using the gen 1 in the configuration I mentioned above with the standard trigger. He also had many top three places for group or overall aggregate (four, five shot groups) .However, I have since bought him a Savage 6BR to compete in the same class.

Reactions: gigamortis
What is the highest round count RPR you know of out there?
It depends on what caliber you're talking about, doesn't it? Also, it depends on who's barrel is on it. I had 3700 on my RPR .308 factory barrel before I switched it out, though it still had plenty of life left in it. The following barrel, a Krieger, I got over 5500 rounds. So, I'm on a third barrel. The action and bolt assembly have over 11,000 rounds. So, my Gen2 RPR has been doing just great for me.

Ruger precision in a 300 prc...
How's the accuracy?
Are they worth the money?

Ruger precision in a 300 prc...
How's the accuracy?
Are they worth the money?
Im in the same boat. Reviews online and youtube are stellar with most stating 1/2 MOA all day long, and stupid accurate past 1,000. Hornady ammo is relatively inexpensive considering other magnum calibers in that range are significantly more for match ammo, but im torn between that and the bergara.

Im in the same boat. Reviews online and youtube are stellar with most stating 1/2 MOA all day long, and stupid accurate past 1,000. Hornady ammo is relatively inexpensive considering other magnum calibers in that range are significantly more for match ammo, but im torn between that and the bergara.
Bergara is a little more “refined” than the rpr.
I’ve had both and I personally just like the rpr. I like the look, the ease of changing parts, barrels.. etc

Reactions: btuse and DRAGON64

I removed a spring from my factory trigger and have it adjusted to approximately 11-13 oz ... super light and consistent. I've been shooting it that way for about 4 years and have never had any issues and has been extremely reliable.
I'd at least try experimenting with adjustments before putting $200 down on a new trigger.

Reactions: cramfarm
Off the wall question for the group: has anyone adapted a Gen 2 handguard to a standard AR upper receiver?

Looks like you’d just need to remove a little material from the barrel bushing and maybe the tensioner nut to allow the gas tube to pass through. Thinking the “scallops” in the barrel nut itself would allow enough clearance.

Yes, I’m aware it’s not worth the hassle, just buy a cheap handguard, etc etc. Have a friend that just wants to use the RPR rail on a build.

4F277B89-56EC-44BA-A80F-1E59B5D6512A.jpeg

Off the wall question for the group: has anyone adapted a Gen 2 handguard to a standard AR upper receiver?

Looks like you’d just need to remove a little material from the barrel bushing and maybe the tensioner nut to allow the gas tube to pass through. Thinking the “scallops” in the barrel nut itself would allow enough clearance.

Yes, I’m aware it’s not worth the hassle, just buy a cheap handguard, etc etc. Have a friend that just wants to use the RPR rail on a build.

View attachment 8062231
Seekins makes a nice handguard for the RPR. The bottom is flat or easily install an ARCA rail to it. Probably find one that has the ARCA built into it.

I've had 2 RPRs, 6.5C and a 5.56. Sold the 6.5C about 3years ago, and the guy still laughs at me whenever we talk. IIRC, he's taken it to a mile and been very impressed. One of these days I'll buy another.

The 5.56 is on my Do Not Sell list. It will print a 1/2 MOA group at will, provided I do my part. There's never any guarantee of that!! 😂

This is one of it's better groups, but not too far off from average. I have a VX-3i 8.5-25 on it and have been tempted to put better glass on it, but I'm almost afraid to mess with it. It's bone stock.

7sMaPGS.jpg

Another. Different day, different ammo.
vbJfIcn.jpg

Love my ruger precision in 6.5 cm it shoots as good as a gun can shoot 3 shot same hole on paper at 200 yards n sticky notes are no problem at 700 using factory 140 grain eldm match ammo

Well I now kind a know why my older RPR is still shooting so good. I had suspected it had at least 2500 or more rounds through the barrel. I decided in the middle of the rain to go back through my old load records and count it up. While this could still be inaccurate as i have no real record of how many factory rounds I shot though it when it was new (prIor to being able to obtain loading dies)

But the round count as best as I can count and estimate factory rounds is 2080. The MPA in 6.5 CM is a bit ahead with 2126 and it still is shooting the lights out.

Guess it proves, don’t lay on the 6.5 Creedmoor too hard and get practically unlimited life out of their barrels. (And to think, I ordered a barrel for the MPA 4 months ago. Current MPA kept shooting so well, I just used it for another rifle build)

Waiting on the forend to come back from the gunsmith. Being Cerekoted to match the buttstock

DD3D87EA-FD8D-41D6-B265-E6D91127CFD6.jpeg

HI,
Hoping someone in this thread can guide me in the right direction. I have the Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor and was wondering what size cleaning rod you all use.....
My bore guide is 12" long plus the legnth of the 24" barrel + 2" break = 38" .
So im not sure if I need a 44" or 40".
My preference is one piece, maybe carbon fiber?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

HI,
Hoping someone in this thread can guide me in the right direction. I have the Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor and was wondering what size cleaning rod you all use.....
Better to have extra than not

Reactions: louie088
HI,

download.jpeg

I bought one of these and have not installed it yet..

BLK LBL Bipod​

I looked at that online and thought it looked really cool, innovative. I was wondering it it still leaved the barrel free floated, and just curious how it worked.

Very cool

I bought everything almost a year ago and its been in the safe since.. I might do it this weekend... IF my neck allows some playtime in the garage.. Need to bore sight it and level the scope

For you guys that swap out the buttstock, please let me know. Me and a buddy are looking to buy some. Please let me know. Thanks!
DK

Anyone cut the factory barrel down on a 308 or 6.5 CM? I've been wanting to do a short 308 but just can't justify the cost of a semi custom rig. A RPR cut down to 16" suppressed seems like a nice alternative, especially with the folding stock.

It’s such a damned fine long range rifles (both calibers) that it seems a shame to cut one up.

As promised

I love it..

Attachments

• 1D73609E-E9E7-48A8-A8D9-31BF2E212DDF.jpeg
    1D73609E-E9E7-48A8-A8D9-31BF2E212DDF.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20F994D9-3FFD-47DD-8D6F-C836DF0E2E81.jpeg
    20F994D9-3FFD-47DD-8D6F-C836DF0E2E81.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 798A1C00-2DE1-46AE-ABB0-7E7AF9D9C299.jpeg
    798A1C00-2DE1-46AE-ABB0-7E7AF9D9C299.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 6ADADBD1-5CB7-447F-A9DB-E566BA18B926.jpeg
    6ADADBD1-5CB7-447F-A9DB-E566BA18B926.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 119
  • D1D947BF-932E-401D-8D50-40C314135B5C.jpeg
    D1D947BF-932E-401D-8D50-40C314135B5C.jpeg
    727 KB · Views: 117
  • EA3DCE6B-2010-47EA-9BCA-1292A9FB697D.jpeg
    EA3DCE6B-2010-47EA-9BCA-1292A9FB697D.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 118
  • D0FD7F77-2129-4CB4-9D80-FB06567560B7.jpeg
    D0FD7F77-2129-4CB4-9D80-FB06567560B7.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 123
Yes it’s very sturdy and feel good in you hand when holding it. Function? I can’t say yet .
But it does feel nice..

Is anyone running a 419 Sidewinder brake on a .300 PRC RPR? I'm looking for maximum recoil reduction and am seriously considering the Sidewinder. How much better than the stock brake is it in people's experience? Much appreciated.

I have always like the factory Ruger brake as it reminds me of fun times on a Barrett some years ago. I've shot the .338 Lapua RPR and the recoil on that with the factory brake was really not too terrible. I was shooting on a table, though and in a sled.

These days, recoil reduction has to be the priority.

Hey guys,

I have a 6CM RPR and want to try turning a 223 Wylde barrel. My range only goes out to 600, and I want to shoot something that’s easier on my barrel. .224 barrel blanks seem to be pretty cheap, and I have piles of 5.56 LC brass that’s good enough for glorified plinking.

I called Ruger asking (extremely politely) if I could buy a .223 Rem replacement bolt and they told me to pound sand, rather rudely. I even mentioned that I’m an 07 FFL and have my own insurance. No luck.

I assume nobody makes these. Have any of you guys shimmed the bolt face to use a .473 rim bolt for .378 rim cases? If so, I’d appreciate some info on the shim and extractor.

If that’s not viable, I guess I can just do 6BR or something like that.

Thanks!

Steve

Not sure how much you want to spend, but you could try to find a cheap donor Ruger American in 223 boltface and take the bolt from that. As long as you get an AR mag version, the cuts to make it work with double stack mags should already have been done.

Not sure how much you want to spend, but you could try to find a cheap donor Ruger American in 223 boltface and take the bolt from that. As long as you get an AR mag version, the cuts to make it work with double stack mags should already have been done.
Oh wow, that's very intriguing... I didn't realize the bolts were compatible. I've actually been looking for an excuse to pick up a Ruger American in 300 BLK for suppressed use and possibly SBR it to 12.5".

I'm thinking I could pick up a RAP in .223 for under $500. I've read the barrels are CHF and fairly decent. I'd put the bolt and barrel into my RPR, and possibly try turning a 300 BLK barrel for the RAP.

Is anyone running an RPR as a switch-barrel setup? I hardly shoot it in 6CM, but I'd prefer if it were still an option to.

My other option is to just pick up a Howa, but that would also mean buying a scope, scope rail, rings, and hunting for a hinged floorplate, since I haven't heard one good thing about the factory mags.

Thanks!

Lawndart

Last edited:
Hey guys, my daughter is watching cat vids so I'm bombing this thread I guess.
I started in the RAP in 6.5CM which is the same action as the RPR. I just got a new chassis and glass.
My big gun is the 300PRC in bergara with an Ivey adjustable scope base and Sightron S3 10-50x. I'm working loads to see a mile.
But the Ruger has well over 3k rounds through it all handloads. As you know the Ruger actions is not 700 style so it was somewhat of a big jump to spend $$$ and go Ruger but that's what I did.
So the old 6.5 RAP that started my LR journey is now getting a rebirth.
As one other person noted I just removed the spring and skipped the $200 trigger, it shoots fine for me.
I normally run 143 ELDx really slow but accurate, then I have some 123 FastLine copper solids and 130 bergers for the higher speed stuff.

My new plan for this rifle is to start shooting it again in 600-1k matches. I will most likely keep it zeroed at 750 and just hold for 600/1k.

If you guys get bored and want to follow along the build I'm posting all reviews to Rumble:

Anyway, just wanted to say I love Rugers. (I have some crazy 22 pistols and a PCC too).
Have a great weekend!