• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

.308 with 24" barrel?? My .308 with 20" shoots just fine and dandy at 1000

The Gen 2's are coming in a 24" model, apparently there was a large order cancelled in the states so here in Australia they are $100 cheaper then the 20" models.

Just saying hi from Jacksonville, FL... Been waiting for my lgs to get RPRs in stock for almost a year while watching other shops get them. I've been patient since he has always taken care of us and it enabled me to stall the inevitable spend lol. During my wait and asking about the RPR so much it piqued 2 of my shooting buddy's interest and they have also put in orders for RPRs so now we have 2 in our group and one more on the way lol. Without further ado onto the pics
S4xc8hYl.jpg

Gen 2 6.5 CM
Burris XTR II 8-40 X 50
Burris High (1.5") XTR Signature Rings
Seekins Red Ambi Selector
Magpul MOE +Grip
Harris Swivel 6-9 bipod with KMW Pod-Loc

Here's a couple pics of some of my better groups from 100yards. These were shot with Hornady super performance 129gr factory loads. I've got a lot to learn and bad habits to break but I am really looking forward to getting more time behind this baby.

o6cTpH1l.jpg

First shot was the one that was way off so I grabbed a measurement w/o it

eHM6y1Il.jpg

measuring the group including the one I yanked

4O0jEK3l.jpg

LOVING IT!

Hey guys looking for advice on handguard a. I like the flat bottom of the seekins but the 18" length of the Midwest. Any opinions or thoughts?

FYI I have the gen 2 in 6.5 creedmoor.

Lastly, what down the road upgrades are thought of? Can you true or blueprint it?

​​​​Any upgrade ideas appreciated!

Here's my Gen 2 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Right now it consists of the following:

Gen 2 RPR
Magpul PRS stock
God-A-Grip Cheek pad
MDT recoil pad
Accushot Monopod
Atlas PSR Bipod
Timney trigger
Thunder Beast Compact Brake
Thunder Beast Ultra 9
Spuhr Mount
Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 MRad EBR-2C

Attachments

• photo47392.jpg
    photo47392.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 400
  • photo47393.jpg
    photo47393.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 525
Hey guys looking for advice on handguard a. I like the flat bottom of the seekins but the 18" length of the Midwest. Any opinions or thoughts?

I have the flat bottom seekins, and it works well.

Do you use your monopod in the field or is it just for photos? ;)

If so does it work well for you?

I'm considering trying one. I'm a lefty shooting a right handed rifle so unfortunately I have to let go of my bag to cycle the bolt. I was wondering if a monopod would help me maintain the site picture better.

Im a lefty with right hand rifle as well. I use the accushot mono pod with quick button and it's the best one I've owned. The quick button gets you on target fast and it still threads for fine adjustment. I use it bench, mat, or ground. I find i only use the quick button to set up. In between rounds I thread. It's not as fast as shooting a lefty rifle, but it's still pretty quick. Since I find it fine for all surfaces, no more need for bags. I'm still getting the same 1/2 MOA accuracy

http://i.imgur.com/eaRCWUF.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. Use lefties need help to work around our disability. ;)

Do you have any problem with hop? The front bipod can be loaded and rock back, I was afraid the locked vertical monopod would grab and hop.

Nope. I have a brake on mine but I don't notice any more hop, which is what I was concerned with as well.

Do you use your monopod in the field or is it just for photos? ;)

If so does it work well for you?

I'm considering trying one. I'm a lefty shooting a right handed rifle so unfortunately I have to let go of my bag to cycle the bolt. I was wondering if a monopod would help me maintain the site picture better.

I used to use the bipod quite a bit. However I now use a Str8 laced bag for the rear. Much more stable with the bag.

FYI I have the gen 2 in 6.5 creedmoor.

Lastly, what down the road upgrades are thought of? Can you true or blueprint it?

​​​​Any upgrade ideas appreciated!

Here is mine with 18" MI

Attachments

• photo47416.jpg
    photo47416.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 279
Cool. Use lefties need help to work around our disability. ;)

Do you have any problem with hop? The front bipod can be loaded and rock back, I was afraid the locked vertical monopod would grab and hop.

lefty here..... don't mind having to regrip my bag but the rear monopod has been a consideration

I used to use the bipod quite a bit. However I now use a Str8 laced bag for the rear. Much more stable with the bag.

I used a bag last year, but I have trouble holding a consistent 'squeeze' due to some nerve damage in my left hand. I've been thinking of trying a monopod to solve that. Do you see any slower setup time with the monopod? I imaging the quick button would get you close - just wondering if dialing in takes up a lot of time?

I used a bag last year, but I have trouble holding a consistent 'squeeze' due to some nerve damage in my left hand. I've been thinking of trying a monopod to solve that. Do you see any slower setup time with the monopod? I imaging the quick button would get you close - just wondering if dialing in takes up a lot of time?

The bag has draw strings so you can keep it close to where you want it then make small adjustments with your hand. The monopod is nice and may be faster to a degree but the button to extend will get you so far then the fine adjustment I find causes more irritation than anything else. What I mean is the fine adjustment is done by turning the knob left or right to raise or lower...this spinning of the knob shifts my POA all over the place so I find myself trying constantly to get back on target. The bag doesn't do this to me. At the end of the day you gotta do what is easier for you. The bag works better for me personally.

That looks really good. Do you feel it would be stable if the bipod were off and you were resting it in something to shoot? Or even if the bipod were on but you had the handguard resting on a position?

It's a trade off. Typically the closer the bipod or whatever is your fulcrum to the muzzle, the more stable the rifle. The extra length just gives you that extra surface area. Throw a bag under the Handguard on a typical barricade and it's pretty stable. Obviously the obstacle dictates where you can support the rifle. I don't use anything fancy. No game changer or anything quite that tacticool. I try and rest it right behind the bipod. That's at about 15" which is your typical Handguard size.

For me, not at all. If anything it's faster

I ordered the 308w in a 24" Barrel now I'm debating whether I want to go to the 6.5. As I'll be tempted to shoot out to 1000yards.

I saw someone else talking about a 24" .308. Are they offering them from the factory now, or is it a custom barrel?

great looking rifles..cant wait to get mine

Gonna love it. No regrets here on the purchase. Had to adjust the handguard and add a little weight to the trigger pull to get rid of creep but it's a sweet rifle.

Glad to be here from the old site.

Finally got my Gen 1 .308 RPR to shoot. Took a while for the barrel to settle in. Got the attitude of that I was going to find a load this rifle will shoot or burn up the barrel trying. Ended up with 3 loads filed away in case another powder shortage comes our way.

All used Lapua brass, CCI 200 primers because I have a bunch of them, 168 Nosler Custom Competition, 2.800" OAL. Results are the average of 5 5-shot groups at 100yd from sandbag rests.

43.7 IMR 4064 = 0.712"
43.6 RL15 = 0.815"
44.4 Varget = 0.824"

Yes I know I may be able to tighten it up by loading closer to the lands. Got the test loads made. Just need to get to the range. One of my competitions requires magazine feeding so at least that is done. For F Class I have to single feed so it will pay for me to spend the time working out loads without regard to magazine length.

Looking forward to stretching her legs.

^ Nice work. That Varget load is similar to what I'm using out to 600. I've found it to really like the Nosler brass along with the Nosler bullets. It's good stuff. That may shrink it down a bit. Fun as hell rifle isn't it

For they guys running Magpul PRS stocks on their RPR, what all is needed to install it? Is it pretty strait forward? Thinking of installing one on mine.

I love my RPR in 6.5. Got it almost a year ago, was my first rifle purchase. Trying to upload a photo but it won't work

All you need is a rifle length milspec buffer tube. It's a pretty easy swap out

What he said. I have a Gen3 on mine. If you get a Magpul gen 3, it is actually compatible with the standard receiver extension already on the RPR. but i recommend using the rifle length as mentioned just for extra rigidity. took 10 minutes to swap. the new Gen 3 PRS stock is awesome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the Gen 3 PRS that's actually the one I was looking at. Seems to be easier to adjust and looks much better as well.

What he said. I have a Gen3 on mine. If you get a Magpul gen 3, it is actually compatible with the standard receiver extension already on the RPR. but i recommend using the rifle length as mentioned just for extra rigidity. took 10 minutes to swap. the new Gen 3 PRS stock is awesome.

How do you like the cheek rest?

How do you like the cheek rest?

i find this one to be much more comfortable than the Gen 2. not sure why, it just worked out that way. i think it sits a little farther back (closer to the recoil pad) and that just works better for my body type.

i find this one to be much more comfortable than the Gen 2. not sure why, it just worked out that way. i think it sits a little farther back (closer to the recoil pad) and that just works better for my body type.

Gotcha, thanks for the insight!

I just found a relatively solid deal on a used RPR in .243 Win. Paid $780 out the door. Any recommendations on factory Match .243 ammo that is working well in the RPR's?

^ Nice work. That Varget load is similar to what I'm using out to 600. I've found it to really like the Nosler brass along with the Nosler bullets. It's good stuff. That may shrink it down a bit. Fun as hell rifle isn't it

The rifle looneys at the range suggested that somewhere between 44 and 45 grains of Varget behind a 168 will be a sweet spot. Sure enough it worked. 4064 is an old school powder that still works. Rumor on the intraweb is that 4064 is what is used in Federal Gold Medal 168 factory ammo. We know how well that works. Worked up the RL15 load as I have a stockpile of it for use in High Power competition. As for brass I may give Starline a try. Priced very good and if the quality is anything like their pistol brass then I should be good to go. However I have loads that work so why mess with it?

Yes this rifle is fun as hell. What is cool is that I can learn on this platform and my retirement fund isn't being drained in the process. Ruger hit one out of the park.

Wow. Just wow.

After reading about them for months and purposely waiting for the Gen 2 to come out, I picked up a .308. I was a bit disappointed at first: The hand guard was off center, various screws were loose, the muzzle brake was off center. So I took her completely apart and reassembled it in perfect alignment, torque'ing everything for precision in the process. Today was its first trip to the range. I'm thoroughly impressed. After sighting in at 100 yards and simultaneously breaking in the barrel by solvent/patch punching every 5 shots, she was ready for a little testing of preferred rounds.

The below target shows how barrels develop a preference for a given ammunition. The target is at 200 yards and each group is 10 rounds (a full mag). The bulls-eye group was shot with Federal Gold Medal Match (BTHP) 168gr. The group in the upper right area was shot with Hornady BTHP Match 168gr. I cleaned the barrel between these two tests and allowed it to fully cool. No adjustment to the scope was made because, clearly, it's dialed in. I cleaned and re-shot a 10 shot group of the Federals on a fresh target just to make sure everything was still correct and that something had not screwed up between tests. Results were the same, 10 shots inside an inch.

I have never seen an ammo preference this severe before. But wow, an out-of-the-box tack driver. I'm going to wear this thing out.

Nice shooting. And, cool you got some Federal to work. I couldn't get anything out of those. Mines liking Nosler and SMK. Hornady did well at 1000. Enjoy!

Howdy Gents,

I just sold my Gen1 6.5. I miss it a little. I replaced it with a Barrett MRAD. Oh Yaaa!!! I want to hear more about this secret cartridge? Ruger 6.5 Magnum Percsion round based of the Ruger 300 case? I might buy another one if it comes out this summer. I have to go back to selling rifles and optics to pay for MRAD barrels. I'll be back as Arnold says.

IanHusaberg out

Reactions: John boy jh
SCORE!

know how many rounds through the barrel?

No, Sir. Truthfully, it didn't matter to me. I'll be ordering a new barrel for it in the near future. This way I get the best of both worlds.