• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Does anyone know how or have any documentation on adjusting the Timney trigger for the RPR?

Is the LRI bolt shroud an upgrade from the factory aluminum one or are they comparable?

I replaced my gen 1 plastic shroud with a LRI shroud. As nice as it is, I think it’s just an appearance thing. Although I can’t remember if you can put the takedown tools in the LRI shroud. Someone else may be able to answer that part.

I replaced my gen 1 plastic shroud with a LRI shroud. As nice as it is, I think it’s just an appearance thing. Although I can’t remember if you can put the takedown tools in the LRI shroud. Someone else may be able to answer that part.
Anarchyoutdoors carries a titanium shroud that has a milled firing pin key in the back of it. It doesn't have the allen key to adjust the trigger, but since I changed my trigger, I don't have to worry about it.
In my humble opinion, I think it operates smoother than the aluminum shroud and cycles better.

Does anyone know how or have any documentation on adjusting the Timney trigger for the RPR?
Timney's website has some info on the adjustment if you go to their website and type in Ruger Precision Rifle. The adjustment is in the front (Muzzle) end of the trigger assembly. Looks like a hole about in the middle of the front of the mechanism and adjusts with an allen wrench.

Anarchyoutdoors carries a titanium shroud that has a milled firing pin key in the back of it. It doesn't have the allen key to adjust the trigger, but since I changed my trigger, I don't have to worry about it.
In my humble opinion, I think it operates smoother than the aluminum shroud and cycles better.

I’ve heard that about the titanium one elsewhere too. I’d go that way. I would’ve if I knew about it at the time I got mine

I went and bought the last 200rd box of Hornady 140g 6.5 creedmoor from sportsman’s warehouse for $139. I know it is not the best match grade ammunition, but for the price I couldn’t pass it up. Now I will have all the brass I need to start reloading. It is warm today so me and the wife are going to go to the range and zero the new scope and stretch the legs out to 1000 yards. I am bringing the Remington 700 sps Tactical .223 as well. I have only had my wife out one other time to shoot long-range. My job doesn’t allow me much time to shoot, this will be only the second time since last summer. Oh, I also bought a Ruger SP 101 4.2” .357 mag that I need to shoot.

Just happy that I found something it likes. Guess there really is something to this ballistics stuff... :p
And i'm glad it now shoots like the 6.5 at shorter ranges which is why I bought it.
I went and bought the last 200rd box of Hornady 140g 6.5 creedmoor from sportsman’s warehouse for $139. I know it is not the best match grade ammunition, but for the price I couldn’t pass it up. Now I will have all the brass I need to start reloading. It is warm today so me and the wife are going to go to the range and zero the new scope and stretch the legs out to 1000 yards. I am bringing the Remington 700 sps Tactical .223 as well. I have only had my wife out one other time to shoot long-range. My job doesn’t allow me much time to shoot, this will be only the second time since last summer. Oh, I also bought a Ruger SP 101 4.2” .357 mag that I need to shoot.
i found match 140's for 229 on AMMOSEEK.

Reactions: Bender
Just a heads up on my experience with Hornady brass. It's great for the first 3 maybe 4 loadings. Then the case separation began. Pure misery. I bought a batch of 6.5 CM from Starline Brass, it's cheaper and very hardy. You can feel the difference when you pick it up. I have one batch with 9 loadings now, and it shows zero signs of wear or neck thinning. You might consider them, they make great brass.

^ I hear that. Didn’t care much for Hornady brass either. It seemed somewhat thicker and rigid and didn’t last as long

So, the wife and I successfully got the Weaver 6-30x56 zeroed on the 6.5. Had to fight with the zero stop till it dawned on me this was a used scope and I had to reset it to allow me to set it for my new rifle. Punched in a guess load into the Ballistic comp and got hits at 400-700. Then put my wife on the 6.5 while I spotted with the .223. She got a first round hit at 700 with 4.5 Mil and 3/4 hold for wind. Her smile was priceless!

Hello everyone new RPR shooter here....
I have a few Custom $3500+ rifle but I just couldn't resist giving the RPR a Go after what I saw last month.. I watched as two seasoned shooters, one with a broke in but bone stock GEN 2 6.5 CM with hand loads, go head to head with a new AI AX with hand loads..... Both rifles shot .5 MOA or Less !! Out to 1000yrds, at this point they had a bit of a crowd and someone told them to switch rifles and see if it was still shooter err with the new AI... Nope after making some Comfort adjustment both shooters repeated identical groupings with each other's rifles... Have we all been waisting our money on over priced Custom builds???

I have recently purchased a Ruger RPR Gen 2 from the guys at CS tactical and I have been doing a lot of reading in this thread but I'm still on page 13. I have a few questions right now because I would like to submit an order for some ammo and parts.

Just to clear up some things first, yes I will be reloading but for now I'll just stock up on fire formed brass and conduct barrel break in.

(1) what store bought ammo is shooting the best overall with the new GEN 2 6.5 Creedmoor ???

(2) have most the kinks been worked out now that Rugers not rushing these rifles..( crooked barrels/ Muzzle Brakes, shitty barrel work)

(3) with the OEM Barrel would a few treatments of JB Bore past be a good idea??

(4) what's the verdict on the new
147ELDs??

(5) with all my Precision rifles I use the Redding Competition Neck Sizing Die kit, I'm assuming thats what everyone else is using??

I'm putting an order in soon for the 130 Hybrids and 140s but I really want to see what the new 147 can do bast 1000.

Once I start reloading I'll be using Lapua Small primer brass and H4350.

I'm going to give the OEM Barrel and stock Chance before replacing. But I did already called up Timney and ordered a RPR to my specs. 1st Stage 8oz - 2nd stage 13oz

Any other recommendations would be appreciated... Thanks in Advance

Jake

Last edited:
I have a few Custom $3500+ rifle but I just couldn't resist giving the RPR a Go after what I saw last month.. I watched as two seasoned shooters, one with a broke in but bone stock GEN 2 6.5 CM with hand loads, go head to head with a new AI AX with hand loads..... Both rifles shot .5 MOA or Less !! Out to 1000yrds, at this point they had a bit of a crowd and someone told them to switch rifles and see if it was still shooter err with the new AI... Nope after making some Comfort adjustment both shooters repeated identical groupings with each other's rifles... Have we all been waisting our money on over priced Custom builds???

I have recently purchased a Ruger RPR Gen 2 from the guys at CS tactical and I have been doing a lot of reading in this thread but I'm still on page 13. I have a few questions right now because I would like to submit an order for some ammo and parts.

Just to clear up some things first, yes I will be reloading but for now I'll just stock up on fire formed brass and conduct barrel break in.

(1) what store bought ammo is shooting the best overall with the new GEN 2 6.5 Creedmoor ???

(2) have most the kinks been worked out now that Rugers not rushing these rifles..( crooked barrels/ Muzzle Brakes, shitty barrel work)

147ELDs??

(5) with all my Precision rifles I use the Redding Competition Neck Sizing Die kit, I'm assuming thats what everyone else is using??

I'm putting an order in soon for the 130 Hybrids and 140s but I really want to see what the new 147 can do bast 1000.

I'm going to give the OEM Barrel and stock Chance before replacing. But I did already called up Timney and ordered a RPR to my specs. 1st Stage 8oz - 2nd stage 13oz

Jake

That RPR is fun right?? Since I have the .308, I can address questions 3 and 5.

3) The Redding kit you have is just fine. Especially since they are micrometer dies. I actually only really use my neck sizing die, which is a Forster. I don’t bother to use my full size die unless I have a dented casing. But that’s just me.

5) As you mentioned, I’d give the factory barrel a chance. I got 1/2 moa results from the jump using factory ammo. I’ve been reloading for a while now and am still seeing the same results 2500 rounds later. Opens a little at 1000 but still pretty damn good. Of course the .308 barrel will last longer, but my point is that for my purposes, if a barrel is consistently shooting 1/2 moa, it’s not worth replacing.

As far as break in, this mass produced hammer forged barrel doesn’t really require it. However, I followed a procedure for mine since it can’t hurt. I’ve never used the JB. I’m just using Hoppes oils and solvents. I’d also invest in an action cleaning kit if you don’t already have one. But you seem at least somewhat experienced.

Welcome and enjoy!

Last edited:

147ELDs??

Jake

I’m shooting bulk factory Hornady American Gunner 140g bthp and they bug hole. I’m definitely going to shoot out this barrel before changing. I’m coming from a Rem 700 .308 and this thing is like cheating!!! I am so happy how this thing shoots, my face hurts from smiling so much while I’m at the range! I got my wife a first rd hit at 700 with it last night!

147ELDs??

Jake

I've had my RPR a week now and I love it. I was just about ready to drop coin on a custom action, but thought for the money, I'll give the RPR a try first, even if it doesn't shoot well, with a new barrel I know it will, and I'd still be in it considerably less then a custom build. I've always like the way they looked, the price was right, and they've made some significant improvements since the launch. Rifle snobs will cry foul at the way the bolt cycle feels, but no denying they shoot!

1). Mine loves 140g ELD Match - see below. 5 shot at 100 yards shooting suppressed

IMG_3796.jpg

2) Seem to be. Including mine, I've looked at one other in the last week and everything looked good. I've had mine a week now, so these were recent shipments.

3) I'm not a believer in barrel break in, even on factory rifles, your opinion may differ. I cleaned mine before the first shot and haven't touched it since. 100 rounds down the tube now, it's consistently shot 1/2 MOA and less with no "break in."

4) A friend is working up a pretty hot load with the 147's right now. Initial testing at 200 yards looks very promising, but we haven't pushed it out to distance yet to see how they hold up.

5) Redding Competition Dies here.

The one thing I've noticed with the RPR though is the groups start to open up when the barrel gets warm. Much more so then with the Savage 6.5 that I had prior to this.

Enjoy!

Have we all been waisting our money on over priced Custom builds???

147ELDs??

Jake

Welcome to the dark side Jake!
1. My RPR has never seen a factory round, but close to 2K of handloads.
2. Mine is an early Gen 2 and had none of the issues that I have seen others complain about. Maybe I got lucky?
3. Why use abrasives to wear a barrel out, why not do that with live fire? Watching a rifle mature is part of the fun!
4. I settled in with 143gr ELD-X, H4350 or RL17. As I use mine for both target and hunting. It will print .5" consistently if I do my part. No scope re-zero or zero offsets, It's always ready to go. I did go through 12 or 15 different bullets to find what it liked the best though, that too, is part of the fun of a new rifle.
5. I have been using Hornady dies for all my precision loads. Match grade set, bushing sizers, micrometer stems. I have settled on Starline brass, it seems more consistent than Lapua, and a whole lot hardier than Hornady. Price wise it's a big winner as well.

I regularly take mine out to a local range and "run the ladder" six or seven targets at each distance, 250,500,600,650,750 and 1,000. I have completed the set several times without a single miss, until I reach the 3" gong at 1,000 yards. It usually takes 4 or 5 rounds to tag it.

Best advice I can give anyone on the RPR? Just take it out and enjoy it. I have had more fun with this than any other modern rifle I own, including my MPA custom in a BA folding chassis system.

Reactions: CV_Ag
Thanks guys for all the help and advice... I'm in no means new to precision shooting , I just don't have a obnoxious ego, and I know the best place to get the right info is from the gents in in the trenches..

I will keep you all updated will my RPR Saga and hopefully all of us can learn a little something along the way.. again you guys have been awesome, and please keep the info and suggestions coming.

Oh yeah..lol

I posted this almost exact thread in the bolt action forum purposely trying to compare the RPR to the AI AX as being equals.... It was absolutely fucking priceless the reactions that I got, I'm talking like a complete dog pile, ..and then out of nowhere LL comes out and praises the RPR .... And not a fucking peep then from anyone..lol

Reactions: CV_Ag and Bender
Oh yeah..lol

I posted this almost exact thread in the bolt action forum purposely trying to compare the RPR to the AI AX as being equals.... It was absolutely fucking priceless the reactions that I got, I'm talking like a complete dog pile, ..and then out of nowhere LL comes out and praises the RPR .... And not a fucking peep then from anyone..lol
i watched. its typical and i expected it. The only difference between my AI and my RPR is the AI is just so refined. but they are both equally accurate rifles.

Oh yeah..lol

Yea people don’t like the truth lol

I just love being on the line having just as much fun and just as much accuracy for much less money. It feels good.

Where / when I hunt / shoot it can be a 60 degree swing from sunshine to sleet to snow to sun to -20 in late afternoon. No doubt the RPR is accurate. So was my desert Tech, but with the bullpup trigger - action bars freezing up on me every evening on days like above and not being able to fire the rifle while looking at a 350 plus bull at 200 yards...done with anything not 100% reliable in every condition possible. I think the RPR is great, but I look at the bolt design and trigger setup and wonder it would function or not just like my DT’s. Seriously - just that blade in the trigger like savage we are talking firearms turning into ice - whacking the bolt an an AI with tree branch to unlock it is one thing but don’t just think of AI as just more refined. It is that but also durable. Nothing against Ruger, I own 4, great for their intended purpose. I do recall LL’s comparo and the emphasis was on $$ and getting into the sport. I can shoot sub 1/2 moa with my 308 Ruger scout Rifle running $15 a box factory ammo. The American series are amazing rifles for the $$ but I’m not going to take it to war nor am I hiking into 10K elevation with one in the Fall. Accuracy is one thing abuse and reliability are quite another. If we’re simply shooting for fun or even doing PRS yeh, why not? I have a friend out her that outshoot me any day of the week with his 6mmCM RPR. He is simply better than I am at reading the wind and in his fundamentals.

Well after all that I wanted to show off my 1954 30-30 100 yards one and only attempt at a 3 shot group and some steel whacking from 50 to 300 yards. Yep it shoots a little to the right, but it works for me just it is.

At least most of agree on one thing, we sure like guns...

Attachments

• C645536B-655F-44B2-B26D-382C946E4229.jpeg
    C645536B-655F-44B2-B26D-382C946E4229.jpeg
    853.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 796148A4-10DE-45F2-975B-0E7A1FDEAE8A.jpeg
    796148A4-10DE-45F2-975B-0E7A1FDEAE8A.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 115
Think I just answered my own question. Found some for $799 from some dealers, not sure I can pass that up.
5.56 are around. As an FYI. mine doesn't like light ammo. I need to shoot 77g in it to get groups that will make me happy. See the posting around 1240 in this string for the info. Got some good help here solving the issue.

I have only had the chance to shoot one prone, slung up not TR, match with a 5.56 RPR. It was 60 rounds at 200 on the reduced 600 target. I forget the aggregate but one relay was 199 with 12 or so Xs. That was with 50gr Z-Max and 25gr of IMR4895 in mixed range brass. I culled the brass to a 2gr tolerance.

I had good results from the bench with it using that reduced load, and others, up to my 600 yard 80gr service rifle loads. I've established that I will be shooting up all of my mixed leftovers of .224 bullets and commercial/mil brass through that rifle.

I hope Ruger has not given up on that caliber. It is a great gun.

First hand thoughts on the now discontinued RPR in 5.56? For $800 imseeing these for at the moment I'm considering picking one up while I wait for my Hancock

I was really leaning towards the 5.56, seemed like it would be fun. Then I read that it has a 1/9 twist barrel. If you only shoot 100-300 yds it would be fine, but 600-1000 you would need at least a 80gr bullet

Question for those of you that have replaced the forearm with a Seekins SPR rail, are all of the SPR3 versions compatible with the RPR when using the Seekins barrel nut? I noticed there are versions 2 and 3 of this rail. I’m thinking of trading a guy for one locally but not sure which version it is.

Question for those of you that have replaced the forearm with a Seekins SPR rail, are all of the SPR3 versions compatible with the RPR when using the Seekins barrel nut? I noticed there are versions 2 and 3 of this rail. I’m thinking of trading a guy for one locally but not sure which version it is.

I have changed both of my RPR handguards out with seekins rails. The guard itself is compatable but you need to make sure you have the correct barrel nut or things won't line up.

Can someone please help me here, I'm a bit confused, what's the difference in the Ruger RPR 18008 and the 18029??? I noticed right off the bat that is has a black bolt, whet else am I missing here because I read the specs on newest of the RPR rifle and didn't see anything mentioned above new changes they still call the Gen 2s??

^ Just looking at it I can see while the 18008 has the reversible safety, the 18029 actually has a selector on both sides. Cant seem to find anything else

^ Just looking at it I can see while the 18008 has the reversible safety, the 18029 actually has a selector on both sides. Cant seem to find anything else
I believe the 18008 is the gen 1 rifle. 18029 is the new version. One of the big differences between gen 1 & gen 2 is the shroud for the bolt. The Gen 1 is plastic and the gen 2 is aluminum.

I just picked up a new RPR in 6.5 CM. I bought 200 rounds of Winchester match 140 G to make friends with the new rifle.
I would appreciate some insight on what bullet weights and manufacturers the gun likes as well as preferred powders.
Thanks,
Skip

I just picked up a new RPR in 6.5 CM. I bought 200 rounds of Winchester match 140 G to make friends with the new rifle.
I would appreciate some insight on what bullet weights and manufacturers the gun likes as well as preferred powders.
Thanks,
Skip
I don’t reload but hornady 140ELD’s and prime 130’s run perfect in mine.

Can someone please help me here, I'm a bit confused, what's the difference in the Ruger RPR 18008 and the 18029??? I noticed right off the bat that is has a black bolt, whet else am I missing here because I read the specs on newest of the RPR rifle and didn't see anything mentioned above new changes they still call the Gen 2s??

The 18008 is a Gen 2 with Keymod rail and reversible safety. The 18029 has an ambi safety, black bolt, and MLOK rail.

Reactions: bigjake83
the reality is there is probably not a lot of difference other than marketing.
True,
The 6.5 rifle I have likes heavier rounds for longer distance. Same with my 5.56. Maybe a trend??
The 140 match rounds are nearly identical to the ELD rounds in performance up to 600 yards. Will be testing them both at longer range soon.

^ Same here. I sling 190’s at 1000 with my .308. I’d really like to try the 185 juggernauts

Hey guys I've seen some talk on here about removing the "trigger spring" and this some how improves it, is there any pics of this mod??

Hey guys I've seen some talk on here about removing the "trigger spring" and this some how improves it, is there any pics of this mod??
I’ve seen talk of that too but couldn’t figure it out. I just swapped mine out with a timney last night. Super happy with that decision.