• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

A
Now at the point where I'm looking at a good scope for my RPR and thinking about how to best mount it for precision shooting. Are Stehr scope mounts worth the price? While I generally take the view, "buy once cry once," if there's another single piece that people recommend, I'd appreciate the advice.

A lot of us are using one piece mounts on the RPR. I’m using a Warne mount that has been solid and has served me well for at least a good couple years now

Reactions: Xandrosi
Anyone have any luck running the 120 ELD. My RPR doesn't seem to like the 140's or 147's. Any suggestions?

It doesn't like the 140 and 147 ELDs specifically or those bullet weights? My rifle loves the Hornady 140gr bthp. May give them a try if you haven't already. The 130gr Prime seem to do very well also as mentioned above.

I was hesitant to get the Anarchy Outdoors Vertical Grip at first, but I am so glad that I did. It is so comfortable in the hand and puts my trigger finger in the perfect position to break the shot. It was well worth the $35
Nice! I just ordered one. Been looking at the MPA VIDEO on YouTube where he was explaining it yesterday, and liked it but didn’t know you could get it to fit the RPR. Plan on up grading to an MPA in the future, will be good to be already familiar with the vertical grip when I transition over. One question, can’t quite tell in the photo, but is that a JP enterprise hand guard on your RPR?

Nice! I just ordered one. Been looking at the MPA VIDEO on YouTube where he was explaining it yesterday, and liked it but didn’t know you could get it to fit the RPR. Plan on up grading to an MPA in the future, will be good to be already familiar with the vertical grip when I transition over. One question, can’t quite tell in the photo, but is that a JP enterprise hand guard on your RPR?

It looks like a standard Gen 2 RPR handguard.

Reactions: Mountainbum

The Anarchy Outdoors Vertical Grip is different than the MPA grip. Here's a pic of the Anarchy Outdoors grip
19__24301.1532130436.jpg

It doesn't like the 140 and 147 ELDs specifically or those bullet weights? My rifle loves the Hornady 140gr bthp. May give them a try if you haven't already. The 130gr Prime seem to do very well also as mentioned above.
Specifically the ELD's. It shot the 140gr BTHP american gunner's decent, but not great. I'll have to try the primes.

I was looking into getting one. How do you like it?
For the money it’s not a bad little peice of glass. Especially for more of a “hunting” scope (Optional capped windage and lightweight). It’s biggest shortcoming is eye relief changes quite a bit when cycling through the magnification. Most of it coming sub 12x so not a huge deal but still noticeable. Also on highest power the picture go a little dark. Not a surprise to me because of the price and definitely not any different than any other sub $1200 scope I’ve looked through. If you’re looking for a scope that fits the light weight tactical/LR hunting scope in the $1000 price point it’s worth a look.

100 yards and not quite 200 rounds
I do not reload so all I shoot is factory ammo. I have tried a bunch of different ammo.

At 100 yards my rifle shoots the best groups with the Hornady 120g ammo. Have you tested different ammo at longer ranges?

That’s the factory hand guard with the area 419 area rail on it

I do not reload so all I shoot is factory ammo. I have tried a bunch of different ammo.

At 100 yards my rifle shoots the best groups with the Hornady 120g ammo. Have you tested different ammo at longer ranges?
No, I haven't had the chance to test it at longer ranges yet. Hopefully soon.

Is anyone running a razor HD 2 4.5-27 on a gen 1 RPR? If so, what rings or mount are you using?
I had one on mine for awhile. But i used a Leupold MK2 IMS base and the rings I used previously on my Rem 700 build. I think they were like 1” tall Vortex/Seekins Rings. If you don’t use a thick lense cover you can use the standard 1.45” AR height stuff. If you use a thick objective lense cover then you might have make sure to you get 1.5”+ rings.

Hard case for a folded 6.5 CM RPR

Would a folded RPR (about 6” thick) fit in a Pelican Storm iM3200 that is 6” deep (interior dimension) or a Nanuck 990 that is also 6” deep? I would prefer these “shorter” cases if a folded RPR can comfortably fit in them. Anyone store their folded RPR in a hard case? If so, what is the model and interior depth of your case? Thanks.

I have this one..... https://www.peakcase.com/peakcase-ruger-precision-rifle-case1.html

Reactions: Roadkill4us
That's a nice case, and at 14 lbs it's not that heavy for a hard case. I ended up going with a soft padded case for back and forth to the range. Don't need that much padding since it just sits in the car.
Agreed, I have a soft drag bag, this more for travel, etc.

I have a Nanuk 990 and my 6.5 CM RPR topped with an Athlon Cronus BTR fits just fine folded after you contour cut the foam to account for the additional thickness of the fold.

Plenty of room in case for suppressor in pouch, 4 magazines, bipod, and bolt as well.

I sent him an email and got a reply this morning on the listed email but it is not a link you will have to enter it manually at least that's what I had to do on my phone.

I just found the video on YouTube and that lets you see the guys email in the video description. He’s charging $450 for the stocks. Kinda pricey but I’ll hand it to him, it looks pretty nice.

Ty. I was putting don@ in front. Maybe he’d be willing to do a group buy??? Because that is kinda pricey for this/my setup. Albeit he’s probably got a ton of time and $ into fabrication

A group by also entered my mind. I’d love one but not for 450. I agree, he probably is a small shop and huge costly machines. Not a big Corp that’s able to mass produce.

Many shooters have recommended 130g Prime. I shot a lot of it out to 300 yards and it shoots good.

Anyone swapped out the factory muzzle brake for an aftermarket? Easy to get off? If so, what did you go with? Thx

Anyone swapped out the factory muzzle brake for an aftermarket? Easy to get off? If so, what did you go with? Thx
I have the gen 1 and put the accessory muzzle brake on that you can get from Ruger. ( you may already have that one on yours) was pretty easy getting it off. As far as your install goes that all depends on what your putting on. If using crush washers, getting the right thickness before tightening can be tricky, because you want your ports horizontal and torque to line up. Don’t forget your loc title. I put mine on hillbilly style and scratched my barrel’s finish slightly, so get a proper vise. Your local gunsmith would welcome the business too.

I unscrewed the thread protector and installed a Stealth Engineering Group Competition Hancock stainless suppressor rated for full auto. Haven't figured out how to make full auto work with a bolt action but it should be about as tough a can as I could get.

Last edited:
Reactions: ironsight1000yard

Just stick a screwdriver through it and turn it counter clockwise. Might have to hit the handle once or twice with a hammer. Done.

I like to use a nut instead of crush washers as the nut can aid in timing and be reused

I’m switching my Lapua brass to be shot out of my Havak. I have Hornady brass I’m going to load up for the RPR. Anyone using 140 eld with H4350 and Hornady brass? What’s your charge weight? Previously it liked 43.1 with Lapua brass but I know there is some volume differences between the two. Might also be trying some MR-2000 to try to squeeze some extra speed out of the 17” bbl.

I’m switching my Lapua brass to be shot out of my Havak. I have Hornady brass I’m going to load up for the RPR. Anyone using 140 eld with H4350 and Hornady brass? What’s your charge weight? Previously it liked 43.1 with Lapua brass but I know there is some volume differences between the two. Might also be trying some MR-2000 to try to squeeze some extra speed out of the 17” bbl.
Just out of curiosity how many loads did you get out of your Lapua brass?