• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

My serious LONG TERM project. It was a NIB gen1 243 that I bought many moons ago and put away after having the handguard and lower Cerakoted Magpul FDE by a friend. Pulled the stock barrel off tonight and mocked up my new 6 CM barrel. Don't mind the RDS mount. It's actually holding the handguard to the rail for now. I also threw in a Timney 2 stage flat trigger. Next mod will be an Arca rail.
IMG_0509.jpg

Reactions: LongRangeLefty
So I noticed lately my accuracy has been Fallin off a little bit. I would clean and it would get better but never really returning to being as accurate when I first bought it.

So tonight I decided to take the muzzle brake off to clean that out as I could see carbon building up.

Holy shit, first off I was picking CHUNKS of carbon off the brake. I blasted it with clp brake cleanr and let it soak for two hours.

Better than that I took a bore light and looked in my barrel and it looked like a candycane there was so much copper build up.

I thought I was getting the copper out on my normal 200 round cleaning intervals. Boy was I wrong. I ran countless patches of decopper solvent and let it soak then scrubbed the hell out of it. After a few hours I finally got it all out.

I'm hoping the accuracy returns to like a new barrel. Just wanted to post this in case anyone makes the same mistake I did. I clearly wasn't getting the copper out previously.
20181119_212811.jpg

^ I clean mine about every 200 rounds as well. But about every 1000 I’ll hit it with some wipe out to get that new mirror shine. To me, the bolt and action are more important to clean, so I have an action cleaning kit. As much as I do clean the bore, the barrel can be replaced very easily.

It's been few years since getting a suppressor so Im not up on the wait time. Could anyone tell me the ETA on suppressors nowadays? I have a Trust if that expedites the process.

Just broke in my 786 dollar 6mm Rpr. Last 10 shots went into 1.2 moa. Hornady Match at 100 yrds. I was wondering why they were selling so cheap...now I'm no longer worried. Time to start loading.

Between Black Friday deals and patience, I now have everything I need to set up my RPR 6.5 CM for the first time. As I understand it, as long as you're on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) public land, it's legal to shoot at targets as long as you're at least one mile from a residence and road. Trying to determine what that means here in SE Louisiana. Out on the BLM website, the maps available are not clear about where this is legal, though they identify parcels of land that they rent. Thinking of giving them a call tomorrow to understand where I might go to legally practice. Near New Orleans, there are no ranges that stretch out ... at least that I'm aware of. If you live in the area, I'd appreciate reading where you go to shoot.

So I noticed lately my accuracy has been Fallin off a little bit. I would clean and it would get better but never really returning to being as accurate when I first bought it.

So tonight I decided to take the muzzle brake off to clean that out as I could see carbon building up.

Holy shit, first off I was picking CHUNKS of carbon off the brake. I blasted it with clp brake cleanr and let it soak for two hours.

Better than that I took a bore light and looked in my barrel and it looked like a candycane there was so much copper build up.

I thought I was getting the copper out on my normal 200 round cleaning intervals. Boy was I wrong. I ran countless patches of decopper solvent and let it soak then scrubbed the hell out of it. After a few hours I finally got it all out.

I'm hoping the accuracy returns to like a new barrel. Just wanted to post this in case anyone makes the same mistake I did. I clearly wasn't getting the copper out previously.
Doing some research, Shooter's Choice Bore Cleaner seems to be the best reviewed product. What did you finally use to clean out the copper and lead fouling?

Picked up 556 version after owning 6.5 for a while. Any good starting point for loading some heavy projectiles? 77? 80? 88? Or is 90 even doable?

Out of curiosity, why is it taking that long to get a suppressor? Few years ago I had mine in less than 3 months.

If that’s true then you got really really lucky. My first can, which I bought in 2015 took 8 months. It’s the government. And more and more people are buying suppressors so besides the kiosks and what not on our end making the purchase easier, the process of approvals and transfers hasn’t changed much. Just takes time. I’ve heard word they’re working on getting the e-file system working and trying to get wait times down to 90 days. Will that ever come true? Not sure. But it’d be nice.

It's been few years since getting a suppressor so Im not up on the wait time. Could anyone tell me the ETA on suppressors nowadays? I have a Trust if that expedites the process.

I received mine in about 200 days so a little over 6 months. This was first of October this year.

Does anyone know if someone is making a "Stock Mount Top" part for the RPR.
This would be the part that causes a step where the bolt handle rides against the top of the receiver.
Cannot believe ruger cant fix this.

Does anyone know if someone is making a "Stock Mount Top" part for the RPR.
This would be the part that causes a step where the bolt handle rides against the top of the receiver.
Cannot believe ruger cant Do you have a picture of something similar? Not clear on the problem you’re trying to fix.
Do you have a picture of something similar? Not clear on the problem you’re trying to fix.

If that’s true then you got really really lucky. My first can, which I bought in 2015 took 8 months. It’s the government. And more and more people are buying suppressors so besides the kiosks and what not on our end making the purchase easier, the process of approvals and transfers hasn’t changed much. Just takes time. I’ve heard word they’re working on getting the e-file system working and trying to get wait times down to 90 days. Will that ever come true? Not sure. But it’d be nice.
I must have. Form sent in first of nov 2014, got specwar 762 jan 28th 2015. Are the e-files not working? 90 days would be great compared to nearly a year. That sucks.

Nice. The range I’m currently a member of is about 20 minutes from me and goes out to 1000. I just learned that a range about 45 minutes from me submitted plans and permits a couple months ago to make a one mile range. May end up with a 6.5 barrel laying around here after all. Or just trying to push a 208 amax at 2500 fps. Certainly would be cool!

What suppressor is that? Also you said sprayed it with Plastidip, the foam, i assume it just heps hold the foam together and still makes it soft enough as to not scratch the crap oput of the rifle and scope?
AAC 7.62 SD it’s an anchor but I have had it several years. Need to upgrade sooner than later however, aside from being heavy by far one of the quietest 30 cal cans I have heard.

With the plastic dip I was extremely skeptical but extremely pleased. Still very soft to the touch and seems extremely durable.

So what scope rings is everyone using? I'm slowly working my way through the 53 pages on here so I apologize if this has been asked much before.
I just bought my RPR in 338 lapua mag this past weekend.
I have a spare Athlon Cronus BTR I'm going to put on it but I'm not sure what set of rings to go with this time. I have a set of Steiner rings on my 300wm holding my other Cronus and they do well, but I saw Steiner had a one piece ring set/base and was considering it. I would REALLY like to get my hands on a Spuhr mount but I'm not sure if I should.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
My main concern about a one piece mount is that the Cronus is kind of a shorter scope and I dont want to run in to problems.
Thanks in advance!

Using Seekins AR High for my Vortex 5x25/50 based on the recommendations out on this forum.

Yesterday I got in my Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 and American Defense Manufacturing AD-Recon 30 STD one-piece QD mount. From what I read somewhere, this is the same QD mount Vortex sells under their name. Mounts solid, good clearance and looks good on the RPR, but I haven't shot with it yet. If it doesn't snow too much I'll update after the weekend.

Reactions: Xandrosi
I bought my RPR in .308 new about a month ago. I took my scope off today getting ready to mount my Nightforce and noticed something odd.

As i was looking down the rail toward the muzzle (as if I were just but no scope) the handrails were off center to the left. I know the barrel doesn't touch the handguards and the barrel looked straight to the scope rail. So far my initial groups have been about an inch at 100 so accuracy appears acceptable.

Has anyone else ran across this? Are there any adjustments for centering the barrel closer to the center of the handguards?

Has anyone else ran across this? Are there any adjustments for centering the barrel closer to the center of the handguards?
Looking from the end of the barrel towards the receiver, if it’s centered, then it sounds like an optical illusion. If it’s not affecting your precision, you seem good to go.

As an aside, my hand-guard on my new RPR was not centered. Loosened it and tightened it in the right position and it's fine.

Last edited:
I bought my RPR in .308 new about a month ago. I took my scope off today getting ready to mount my Nightforce and noticed something odd.

As i was looking down the rail toward the muzzle (as if I were just but no scope) the handrails were off center to the left. I know the barrel doesn't touch the handguards and the barrel looked straight to the scope rail. So far my initial groups have been about an inch at 100 so accuracy appears acceptable.

This seems to me a common issue with the RPR. The hand guard on my RPR has also somewhat off center that way and I found that it really doesn't effect accuracy. The barrel is free floating and the rail you mount your scope on is only connected to the action and not the handrail. But, seeing that guard being off center like that bugged me and so I loosened the screws that hold it in place then tightened them down is such an order as to straighten it out pretty well. So, you might do likewise in fooling with those screws to get the alignment that's acceptable.

But, seeing that guard being off center like that bugged me and so I loosened the screws that hold it in place then tightened them down is such an order as to straighten it out pretty well. So, you might do likewise in fooling with those screws to get the alignment that's acceptable.

This worked for me as well.

Great!! Thanks for the replies. It seems to shoot well and just seems to be cosmetic for the handguards. When i mount my scope up, I'll try the adjustments suggested on the handguards!!

Just did the barrel in an initial rattle can FDE (looks lighter too in the pics than it really is). Lighter than the duracoat magpul FDE that I’ll be getting soon, but still turned out pretty good...

View attachment 6899345View attachment 6899346

One thing I like too is that by going with a thinner handguard and coating the barrel, it gives the barrel a look of a heavier contour
Who makes your bipod? And how do you like it?

So what scope rings is everyone using? I'm slowly working my way through the 53 pages on here so I apologize if this has been asked much before.
I just bought my RPR in 338 lapua mag this past weekend.
I have a spare Athlon Cronus BTR I'm going to put on it but I'm not sure what set of rings to go with this time. I have a set of Steiner rings on my 300wm holding my other Cronus and they do well, but I saw Steiner had a one piece ring set/base and was considering it. I would REALLY like to get my hands on a Spuhr mount but I'm not sure if I should.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
My main concern about a one piece mount is that the Cronus is kind of a shorter scope and I dont want to run in to problems.
Thanks in advance!
1543788253747.jpeg

Reactions: Triggs75
Very pleased with the Vortex/ADM set-up. I am definitely the variable in the accuracy but here's the first 10 rounds zeroing on 10" steel at 100ish yards after boresighting. 6.5 Creedmoor S&B 140g FMJBT Tactical ammo (cheap stuff). Going to try some 300ish yard strings, but won't last long out here in the BLM with 28 degree snow flurries. Still waiting on my match ammo from Bud's anyway...
IMAG0946.jpg

Someone recently asked me about the barrel life of my 308 with the factory barrel. Shot these 3 round groups this morning. Only 3 round but the poi is pretty centered except for group 1, and not really sure what happened on group 4. Maybe a reloading error. These were shot with 190 SMK. Barrel has 3,425 rounds on it

A47010DB-DF67-4EBF-961B-C2367DBA5A95.jpeg