• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Someone recently asked me about the barrel life of my 308 with the factory barrel. Shot these 3 round groups this morning. Only 3 round but the poi is pretty centered except for group 1, and not really sure what happened on group 4. Maybe a reloading error. These were shot with 190 SMK. Barrel has 3,425 rounds on it

I have 3,637 on my factory 308 barrel. Fired mostly 175 SMKs with it and have been getting very good groups like that too. I notices my groups opening up a little (seemed harder to keep them tight) and took off the break, which hadn't been taken off for a long time, and found quite an uneven build up over the muzzle. Cleaned that up and good to go. While getting good groups, I've had to chase the lands as I've been keeping all my loads at .010 off where I can count of them doing their best.

Had always planned on swapping out the barrel for a good precision/match type barrel at some point and finally did that this week end dropping in a Krieger SS barrel. As I started the break in procedure and zeroing my scope using FGMM 175's, the first three shots were touching (though off the paper). Once zeroed, I was getting consistent tight groups touching each other with a 5 shot average MV of 2,612 fps (Temp: 62°F, Humidity: 41%, Altitude 1,660ft). Now I've gotta do some load development and see what my hand loads can produce.

Since the factory barrel was still shooting fine, I cleaned it up and holding onto it in storage until I decide what I really want to do with it.

^ Nice. Can’t go wrong with a Krieger. I’ve planned on a custom barrel for next season. Same thing though, think I’ll be holding on to this one at least for a little while

I am thinking about a RPR in .300WM and couldn't seem to find an answer to the factory mag max COAL - so I asked Mother Ruger. Here is the answer - sorry if it's already common knowledge. 3.75" for both magnum RPR's...

ruger.JPG

I picked up a RPR 300 Win Mag last week. I also have RPRs in .22,.556,.243. Have been working on load development with H1000 and Hornady 212 ELD-M. Almost all of my work has been at 300 yds. After ladder testing and adjusting seating depth I was able to shoot a 3 shot group of 1.2 inches and a 5 shot group of 1.25 inches:giggle:.These were my only 2 groups of the day, packed up and went home to continue reloading. My setup is Atlas bipod , rear bag, Bushnell elite tactical 6-24x FFP Mil, I have removed the middle 2 screws on the top of the muzzle break to help reduce muzzle rise. Conditions today were 35 degrees, wind gusting 5-10mph,5000 ft ASL. Load was 76.2 gr H1000, 212 ELD-M, 3.597" OAL touching lands, virgin Hornady brass FL sized and trimmed and weight sorted, Federal mag match primers(GM215M), approx. 2908 FPS with SD 13 (I cant get single digit SDs no matter what I try). 75 rounds down the tube so far. trigger came at 2 lbs. the muzzle break on this beast is very effective feels like a .556 with no break(y). Have a great day.

Picked up 556 version after owning 6.5 for a while. Any good starting point for loading some heavy projectiles? 77? 80? 88? Or is 90 even doable?
I picked up a 556 after owning a 6.5 gen 2 for a while now. My 556 likes the heavier bullet weights. Was all over the place with lighter factory rounds. switched to a heavier bullet and it tightened up to near the accuracy of my 6.5. Not sure if this is a trend with the 556 but you may want to consider. Sorry, I should have added that it was at 100 yds at sea level.

Last edited:
So what scope rings is everyone using? I'm slowly working my way through the 53 pages on here so I apologize if this has been asked much before.
I just bought my RPR in 338 lapua mag this past weekend.
I have a spare Athlon Cronus BTR I'm going to put on it but I'm not sure what set of rings to go with this time. I have a set of Steiner rings on my 300wm holding my other Cronus and they do well, but I saw Steiner had a one piece ring set/base and was considering it. I would REALLY like to get my hands on a Spuhr mount but I'm not sure if I should.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
My main concern about a one piece mount is that the Cronus is kind of a shorter scope and I dont want to run in to problems.
Thanks in advance!
Slick
Have you shot it yet? I have heard that the muzzle break on it really reduces recoil to a "manageable level". Just was wondering if it is still a shoulder killer or perhaps Ruger has somewhat tamed the beast.

Slick
Have you shot it yet? I have heard that the muzzle break on it really reduces recoil to a "manageable level". Just was wondering if it is still a shoulder killer or perhaps Ruger has somewhat tamed the beast.
I stepped outside and shot off one round in to a dirt pile just to say I shot it (it's something I've always done since I got my first gun as a teenager, even if it was christmas morning and 3ft of snow haha).
The recoil was about the same as a RPR in 308 I shot before. It surprised the hell out of me.

I stepped outside and shot off one round in to a dirt pile just to say I shot it (it's something I've always done since I got my first gun as a teenager, even if it was christmas morning and 3ft of snow haha).
The recoil was about the same as a RPR in 308 I shot before. It surprised the hell out of me.
Man you are making it real hard to keep some money in my pocket. Perhaps the collection will have to soon be RPR's in 5.56 6.5 and 338.

Reactions: 300wmSlick
What I'm trying to figure out is if I can turn my 338LM in to a 300wm by doing a barrel, bolt, and mag swap? Or if I would need the whole upper?
I know a decent bit about the ballistics of a 338LM but this is my first one I've ever owned so I still have a LOT to learn. Plus specs on these two guns still seems to be pretty limited and I haven't found one in the "wild" yet in 300wm.
Anyone able to help me out with some knowledge bombs?

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can turn my 338LM in to a 300wm by doing a barrel, bolt, and mag swap? Or if I would need the whole upper?
I know a decent bit about the ballistics of a 338LM but this is my first one I've ever owned so I still have a LOT to learn. Plus specs on these two guns still seems to be pretty limited and I haven't found one in the "wild" yet in 300wm.

Ruger doesn't sell bolts separately for these guns (at least they haven't in the past). As such, caliber swaps in the short action RPRs have been limited to the 308 bolt face family. So, even if the receiver is the same (it probably is), you'd have a hard time going from a 338LM to a 300WM.

Find someone that wants to do the opposite of you, and swap.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie

What bullet weight? I’m using 190 SMK’s in my 308

I picked up a 556 after owning a 6.5 gen 2 for a while now. My 556 likes the heavier bullet weights. Was all over the place with lighter factory rounds. switched to a heavier bullet and it tightened up to near the accuracy of my 6.5. Not sure if this is a trend with the 556 but you may want to consider. Sorry, I should have added that it was at 100 yds at sea level.
In my 556 the 75 amax with 25.4 gr Varget in Lapua (avg 2825fps) hold 1 MOA to 610 yds on a windless day. I have recently had good luck with the lighter pills. 53gr Vmax, LC brass,27.0 Varget (3188 fps) holding 2/3rd MOA out to 400 yds. Hornady 40gr, LC brass, 25.5 gr H322 (3260fps) holding 1/2-2/3 MOA out to 300 yds.

In my 556 the 75 amax with 25.4 gr Varget in Lapua (avg 2825fps) hold 1 MOA to 610 yds on a windless day. I have recently had good luck with the lighter pills. 53gr Vmax, LC brass,27.0 Varget (3188 fps) holding 2/3rd MOA out to 400 yds. Hornady 40gr, LC brass, 25.5 gr H322 (3260fps) holding 1/2-2/3 MOA out to 300 yds.
Sounds like you have it pretty dialed in. I have tried some lighter stuff but mine doesn't like much under 70 gr in either 556 or 223. The group size goes up to about 4 inches at 100 yards when i go light. I don't reload so I am sure that is part of the problem.

Sounds like you have it pretty dialed in. I have tried some lighter stuff but mine doesn't like much under 70 gr in either 556 or 223. The group size goes up to about 4 inches at 100 yards when i go light. I don't reload so I am sure that is part of the problem.
Give IMI
Give IMI 77gr razors a try. They have been averaging 2870 fps. Holding approx. 1 MOA at 100yd, 1.3 MOA at 300 yds, and 1.5 MOA at 610 yds(however there is the occasional flyer that can frustrate). They can be hot with a blown primer every now and then. Hope this helps.

Reactions: FlaShooterG
Give IMI

Give IMI 77gr razors a try. They have been averaging 2870 fps. Holding approx. 1 MOA at 100yd, 1.3 MOA at 300 yds, and 1.5 MOA at 610 yds(however there is the occasional flyer that can frustrate). They can be hot with a blown primer every now and then. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for the help!!

Man you are making it real hard to keep some money in my pocket. Perhaps the collection will have to soon be RPR's in 5.56 6.5 and 338.
let me ask one more question to maybe keep some money in my pocket vs that of the local gun store, At what point is it better to have a 338 vs the 6.5 Creed? The 6.5 at 800-1000 is not hard to shoot accurately. I have hit steel at 1200 without a lot of difficulty so where is the break point that separates so to speak the wheat from the chaff?
I am not fond of a lot of recoil but if 338 RPR is similar in recoil to a 308, I think I can handle it. I am tempted to just try to max out the RPR 6.5, but in the same breath I always seem to want to go longer. Where do I reach the point (probably mental of course) that makes the 338 the obvious choice over the 6.5? I know this is probably a really stupid question with no real answer, but I just can't help but to ask it.

Honestly I would go with the 300wm over the 338LM if you're just wanting to go with more than the 6.5. The 300wm will do almost as much as the 338LM and it's a good bit cheaper to shoot.
My original plan was to get the 300wm before the 338LM but since I saw that one first and I already had a case of ammo for it I had gotten at half price, I couldn't pass it up. Plus the store was having 7% discount on guns that day to basically counter the sales tax!

Just picked up my first Ruger RPR in 6mm Creedmoor because i found a great deal on this one. My original intention was to rebarrel to 6.5 cm because I didn't have any loading gear for 6creed yet. Setup is completely factory with a Leupold 8.5-25LRP, AAC SD 7.62. I bought 50 brass and gave it a try. All I can say is that I am impressed...

20181209_230207.jpg

First target shot for load workup is above. Using Hornady 105 bthp and h4350. Showing a node at load #3 which was h4350 38.5 gr. Not looking for speed just sheer accuracy.

Below is the next set of targets out. Replaced scope with a Leupold 8.5-25 LRP. Again showing the node at 38.5 gr. The pic below that is with Sierra 107s and h4350. Found the magic juju with this combo. The groups are tight, little vertical and the node is wide. Shot this target 30 degrees aff sandbags. No chrony this day. Just too cold.

20181209_230310.jpg
20181209_230255.jpg

Can't wait to get it back out. Sticking with the Sierra's now. Bottom target is 39, 39.5, 40, and 40.5 great h4350, win primers, Hornady brass 1x at 2.790 coal.

Just got my shroud back from LRI. Sent it there for the specific cerakote I wanted (flat armor black). They did a great job inside and out. Then I hit up theirs logo with a white lacquer stick. Might take the stick to it once more, but I think it looks pretty good.
95BD0186-B3C7-48CE-90B9-99DF7628FBE1.jpeg
A51341F1-78E2-4D31-96D2-A08782356BC2.jpeg
EBA00C9D-E520-4B9D-A7FC-D4141F6A5526.jpeg

Oh also I’ll add that I know LRI has a similar shroud. But theirs is glossy and I wanted something flat. Also a new LRI shroud from them is $60 plus shipping and the cerakote job on my existing one is $20 plus shipping. So, that was my reasoning

Has anyone gotten any time behind the RPR in 338?
Been looking for the same info. Pretty cold right now to shoot it in the midwest.

on page 53 about 3/4 of the way down 300 WM slick said
"I stepped outside and shot off one round in to a dirt pile just to say I shot it (it's something I've always done since I got my first gun as a teenager, even if it was christmas morning and 3ft of snow haha).
The recoil was about the same as a RPR in 308 I shot before. It surprised the hell out of me. "

The comment really has me intrigued. If they can tame the recoil of this cannon I will be supremely impressed. And probably about 2 grand lighter.

Is anyone using the MDT ten round magazines without the binder plate? They are center feed and MDT cautions feed ramps may have to be altered. What has been your experience?

Anybody got a high mileage 308? Shooting factory ammo, what kind of life span could you get out of it before accuracy starts to drop off?

Anybody got a high mileage 308? Shooting factory ammo, what kind of life span could you get out of it before accuracy starts to drop off?

Am not sure what one might consider just where "high mileage" begins . . . ??? I just recently swapped out my factory barrel that was at 3,700 rounds for a new Krieger barrel. The factory barrel was still shooting just fine (regularly getting .5 MOA or better with mild hand loads using 168 or 175 SMKs). But I have been chasing the lands as kept the loads at .010 off the lands where I could count on my best groupings. I simply made the swap because I wanted a longer high end barrel for more velocity and better consistency and. . . smaller groups too. :) The factory barrel is still a good barrel, and it does shows signs of wear when I look at it through a bore scope. Though about 95% of those rounds fired were hand loads, there's really little difference, if any, if it were all factory ammo.

Reactions: L2bravo

I have a gen one 308. I’m still on the factory barrel and currently have 3,425 through it. I’m consistently shooting 1/2 to sub half MOA with 190 SMK’s. Totally satisfied. Makes me wonder what I could do with a custom barrel.

I have a gen one 308. I’m still on the factory barrel and currently have 3,425 through it. I’m consistently shooting 1/2 to sub half MOA with 190 SMK’s. Totally satisfied. Makes me wonder what I could do with a custom barrel.

Wow Longrange! Very nice. I guess you are shooting reloads? 190’s are beastly mofos. Nice!

Am not sure what one might consider just where "high mileage" begins . . . ??? I just recently swapped out my factory barrel that was at 3,700 rounds for a new Krieger barrel. The factory barrel was still shooting just fine (regularly getting .5 MOA or better with mild hand loads using 168 or 175 SMKs). But I have been chasing the lands as kept the loads at .010 off the lands where I could count on my best groupings. I simply made the swap because I wanted a longer high end barrel for more velocity and better consistency and. . . smaller groups too. :) The factory barrel is still a good barrel, and it does shows signs of wear when I look at it through a bore scope. Though about 95% of those rounds fired were hand loads, there's really little difference, if any, if it were all factory ammo.

I’m not sure what high mileage would be either honestly. 4K starts to count though I’m sure f the opinion. Mind if I ask what the Krieger set you back?

I’m not sure what high mileage would be either honestly. 4K starts to count though I’m sure f the opinion.

It seems it all really depends on what you use for it is. A .308 can easily last 5000 - 10,000 rounds from what I've heard from others . . . even a great deal more, if high precision is not the requirement.

Mind if I ask what the Krieger set you back?

It was $550, per their website here: https://kriegerbarrels.com/products#rpr

Didn't have any gunsmith cost to install as I did it myself and just had to buy a set of go no-go gauges (already had the other tools needed, e.g. barrel nut wrench and barrel vise). So the overall cost to make the change was minimal for me.

Reactions: L2bravo
Wow Longrange! Very nice. I guess you are shooting reloads? 190’s are beastly mofos. Nice!

Thanks! Originally I was only going to use this load for long range, especially since I can definitely feel just a little more recoil than with the 168’s I was using. But since I use a little less powder, and it turned out to be my most accurate load, I just use it for everything now.

Been looking for the same info. Pretty cold right now to shoot it in the midwest.

on page 53 about 3/4 of the way down 300 WM slick said
"I stepped outside and shot off one round in to a dirt pile just to say I shot it (it's something I've always done since I got my first gun as a teenager, even if it was christmas morning and 3ft of snow haha).
The recoil was about the same as a RPR in 308 I shot before. It surprised the hell out of me. "

The comment really has me intrigued. If they can tame the recoil of this cannon I will be supremely impressed. And probably about 2 grand lighter.

If it helps any I shot it standing up and I didn't rock back much at all. (I'm 6' 0" tall and 157lbs)
Between the weight of the gun and the muzzle brake on it it is super tame, but this is also my first 338LM. I haven't ordered my scope rings for it yet because of Christmas and house projects going on. Also I live in Indiana and the weather hasn't very decent lately.

It seems it all really depends on what you use for it is. A .308 can easily last 5000 - 10,000 rounds from what I've heard from others . . . even a great deal more, if high precision is not the requirement.

It was $550, per their website here: https://kriegerbarrels.com/products#rpr

Didn't have any gunsmith cost to install as I did it myself and just had to buy a set of go no-go gauges (already had the other tools needed, e.g. barrel nut wrench and barrel vise). So the overall cost to make the change was minimal for me.

What was the turn around time on that Krieger?

Gents, did a key word search and didn't turn up anything.

Has anyone stuffed a 6.5 PRC into a Ruger Precision? If so, any issues you had to overcome--ie feeding, mag length v/s OAL, ejection, etc..?

Having paid for custom precision rifles many times over in the past, I've been really pleased with my 6.5 Creed RPR. 1/4 MOA all day with a 143 ELDX over 4350, compact, adjusts to the whole family, what's not to like----for a third of what I dropped on my last custom. I haven't tried switching barrels yet, but thought I'd try something hotter that I could use on Idaho and Montana game while scratching my ELR itch. Carbon Six is selling them in quite a few 6.5 options, thought I'd ask if anyone had walked this path before dropping the coin.

Thanks!

The 6.5 PRC has a standard magnum bolt face (0.532") and apparently Ruger doesn't sell bolts separately, so you'd have to experiment on your current bolt in conjunction with the barrel switch.

I would venture into a 260ai I think before I went down the PRC route (which is probably impossible due to the bolt face).

Don't remember exactly, but it was less than a week.

After I installed it, I was shooting and breaking it in 10 days from when I put in the order. Barrel was delivered UPS ground.

See... things like this are what get me into debt. I really want a 6BR barrel for mine thank God that isnt one that they are listing as stocking.

See... things like this are what get me into debt. I really want a 6BR barrel for mine thank God that isnt one that they are listing as stocking.

Hmmm??? Why not a 6CM?

Ok, since it's Christmas season, I thought I'd see if I could temp you. :LOL: Sorry . . . couldn't resist.

Gents, did a key word search and didn't turn up anything.

Has anyone stuffed a 6.5 PRC into a Ruger Precision? If so, any issues you had to overcome--ie feeding, mag length v/s OAL, ejection, etc..?

Having paid for custom precision rifles many times over in the past, I've been really pleased with my 6.5 Creed RPR. 1/4 MOA all day with a 143 ELDX over 4350, compact, adjusts to the whole family, what's not to like----for a third of what I dropped on my last custom. I haven't tried switching barrels yet, but thought I'd try something hotter that I could use on Idaho and Montana game while scratching my ELR itch. Carbon Six is selling them in quite a few 6.5 options, thought I'd ask if anyone had walked this path before dropping the coin.

Thanks!

The PRC cartridges use a magnum boltface. A .300WM RPR would be the candidate for a rebarrel to 6.5 RPR.

Hey all. The part shown here as number 86, the one that has tabs that hold on the the barrel nut.. For me and my purposes, it doesn’t seem necessary. Can I go without it? If so, I can swap barrels even faster due to the breakdown.
C0203229-7BB5-40DC-98C1-8F8935D7E684.jpeg

Good grief Lefty, only one screw holds that locking tab plate in place! Use it!
I'd pay good money to see a video of your NASCAR pit crew style barrel change.