• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

After some suggestions on RPR Bag Riders, I added two designs to the Cheapskate Precision lineup. The one on the left is the original design. The middle one is similar, but I rounded off the sharp angle on the bottom. The right one is a thicker option for a flat bag rider. There is also the low profile flat bag rider I designed earlier (not pictured). What do you guys think?

Last edited:
After some suggestions on RPR Bag Riders, I added two designs to the lineup. The one on the left is the original design. The middle one is similar, but I rounded off the sharp angle on the bottom. The right one is a thicker option for a flat bag rider. There is also the low profile flat bag rider I designed earlier (not pictured). What do you guys think?
DOOD! A+ and well done. If I run into anyone asking about my bag rider sending them to you. Rick's Ruger Riders!

I was in such a rush to get out to the range yesterday that I forgot my ricksmunn bag rider and left it on the desk in my bedroom. :cry:

But I did use my new Armageddon Gear squishy bag, and it was a night and day improvement over my super stiff Caldwell one. Will post my 200 yard groups once I get them measured and photo'd.

Reactions: ricksmunn
As I mentioned ^^, here are my results from yesterday out on the 200 yd range (most I can get to without driving out to the West Virginia PNTC range - I would like to get out there eventually). I shot twelve 5-round groups, with an average of .872 MOA once you converted the group size down.

The first group was the best for the day (.625 MOA) and were to get on target. Used the BallisticsARC app, and it had me at .4 MIL elevation to get there. Based on the group, went .1 MIL back down, and .2 MIL to the left, that's where the .8 MOA group went. Brought it back .1 MIL right, and didn't change the scope for the rest of the shooting.

6.5CM, using Hornady 140gr. ELD-M. Gun really seems to like the cartridges. Now has 220 rounds through the barrel.

This thing is a beast. I can honestly attest that all of the above 1 MOA groups I shot were totally the shooter's (my) fault. This was only my third time at the range, and I can consistently shoot at or below 1 MOA, even out to 200 yards. That can almost all be attributed to the gun/scope/system, and not the shooter!! The RPR makes precision shooting almost look easy. ;)

Attachments

• Range - 20191015 - 01.jpg
    Range - 20191015 - 01.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 89
  • Range - 20191015 - 02.jpg
    Range - 20191015 - 02.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Thought I would also add to the pictures, just chillin in the rain.

Attachments

• IMG_20191005_134724661.jpg
    IMG_20191005_134724661.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: IronmanDaremo
This is my home range Dead Zero Spencer TN
This is the rifle portion of the range. It's brand new and uses the Shot Marker electronic target system the target frames in the pic are at 100, 600 and 1000 yards. The only draw back is the the round has to be supersonic for the sensors to pick it up. But it will give you shot placement, group size and the velocity the round was traveling as it passed through the frame.

• Wow
Reactions: IronmanDaremo
I own both a gen1 308 and a gen2 6mm Creedmoor. I've had fantastic results with the 308 and have always recommended the RPR to anyone who will listen as a result. After running the 6mm in a few matches, so far I hesitate to recommend the 6mm so readily.

We had a stage Saturday where only first 3 rounds could be loaded in a magazine, the rest had to be grabbed from an ammo box and either loaded into the mag or single loaded. I opted to single load using my Magpul 10 round AI mag. For no less than 3 rounds in a row, the round would dive or otherwise not chamber properly this way. The bolt would fail to close with an inch or so left in the travel. Each time I had to retract the bolt, jiggle the round with my finger, then push the bolt home. Suffice to say I didn't do well that stage.

Later in the day while shooting groups and trying to convince myself it wasn't that bad, the 6mm RPR flat out stopped picking up rounds from both Magpul AI mag and a different metal AI mag (borrowed from a friend so not sure of the brand). It continued to feed from PMAG but I prefer the feel of AI mags when running the bolt quick in competition (less drag).

Just got some 6mm snap caps to try to replicate this at home. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues with 6mm or 6.5 RPR. I'm thinking maybe the pointier shape of the round relative to 308 is causing it to dive too much when trying to chamber a loose round.

Will be contacting Ruger if it's just me.

I own both a gen1 308 and a gen2 6mm Creedmoor. I've had fantastic results with the 308 and have always recommended the RPR to anyone who will listen as a result. After running the 6mm in a few matches, so far I hesitate to recommend the 6mm so readily.

We had a stage Saturday where only first 3 rounds could be loaded in a magazine, the rest had to be grabbed from an ammo box and either loaded into the mag or single loaded. I opted to single load using my Magpul 10 round AI mag. For no less than 3 rounds in a row, the round would dive or otherwise not chamber properly this way. The bolt would fail to close with an inch or so left in the travel. Each time I had to retract the bolt, jiggle the round with my finger, then push the bolt home. Suffice to say I didn't do well that stage.

Later in the day while shooting groups and trying to convince myself it wasn't that bad, the 6mm RPR flat out stopped picking up rounds from both Magpul AI mag and a different metal AI mag (borrowed from a friend so not sure of the brand). It continued to feed from PMAG but I prefer the feel of AI mags when running the bolt quick in competition (less drag).

Just got some 6mm snap caps to try to replicate this at home. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues with 6mm or 6.5 RPR. I'm thinking maybe the pointier shape of the round relative to 308 is causing it to dive too much when trying to chamber a loose round.

I haven't been able to get AI style mags to fit into my 6mm RPR, so I just run PMAGs. The only time I have ever had a mag related issue was me not inserting the PMAG all the way in.

When doing stages within a competition that requires grabbing loose rounds, I always load the mag while traveling back to the gun; single loading PMAGs doesn't seem to work very well.

^ When I first got my gen 1 .308 I could single load shooting prone with the pmag not quite inserted all the so it had just about the right angle. Wouldn’t really work moving around like a PRS style match. Bob Sleds or the PVC trick are the best

^ When I first got my gen 1 .308 I could single load shooting prone with the pmag not quite inserted all the so it had just about the right angle. Wouldn’t really work moving around like a PRS style match. Bob Sleds or the PVC trick are the best

Could a PMAG follower be sacrificed to eliminate the last round hold open?

Installed one of my American Predator (same bolt) tonight. I does ride on 2 caming surfaces and is notably smoother and easier to cock than the stock piece.

I wish I had read this thread sooner. I just ordered one. Compared to my buddy's Gucci $1300 custom action, the the weight of the RPR bolt lift is noticeable. Can't wait to try this part.

I actually did a write up about this issue on Facebook a while back. The PMAGS are terrible for top loading. It is possible, but you have to make sure the round is tip-up and then close it really fast so it doesn't nose dive. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to use the PMAGS anymore. I tried some AICS mags as well and had problems top loading those too. I finally found a solution with the ARC mag. They are perfect for top loading as they keep the tip of the bullet up all the time, preventing it from nose diving. Here's a link to the write up I did (it has some pictures to describe what I'm talking about):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1615893251996077/permalink/2035312010054197/
Or just search "Thought I would do a little mag comparison" in the search bar on "The Ruger Precision Rifle" Facebook page.

Reactions: atepointer
Could a PMAG follower be sacrificed to eliminate the last round hold open?

Yes. Like Blitzy said, take a file or dremel to this corner here and you’ll have no more last round hold open. I’ve done this to all of my mags

4D7F4BCE-415B-4DC5-AEFD-58B70F928C71.jpeg
4B49E8C9-5F6A-4D89-9B27-189D17618F90.jpeg

MDT mag, FWIW.

Any mag but the AI pmag works ok in mine. Thought I had a lemon cuz it was the first mag I tried. MDT , SLR, and accurate mag all work great. Gun still chews the crap out of the bullets on chambering but it doesn't bother me while the accuracy is there.

I've never been a fan of the empty mag bolt lock on my RPR. I guess it could be helpful in that you wouldn't accidentally close the bolt thinking you were ready to fire but I count my shots without even thinking about it so for me it's a nuisance. I'm thinking about disabling that function. Anyone know of a reason that would be a particularly bad idea?

Here's a copy of the write up I was talking about:

"Thought I would do a little mag comparison for anyone wanting to know what some of the other mag options are and how they compare.

The P MAGS that come with the rifle are nice if you are shooting factory ammo. They will not hold some of the longer hand loads, which was an issue for me. The P Mags are very easy to load and are fairly compact. However, they do not slide into/out of the lower as easily as other styles of mags. They mag release has to be pressed a little harder and further to drop a P Mag than with other mags. If you attempt to cycle the bolt with an empty P Mag, the bolt hits the follower in the mag and roughs it up. Top loading with a P Mag is very difficult. You have to slide the round into the camber with your finger before you can close the bolt.

AI STYLE MAGS hold longer rounds than the P Mags do, which is why I bought one. Unfortunately the mags are quite a bit longer than the P Mags and the ARC mags. They are a little harder to load than a P Mag. These mags slide into/out of the lower very easily. The mag release does not have to be pressed very hard to release these mags and they drop out on their own which is nice. The AI Mag has the same issue with top loading as the P Mag. You have to slide the round into the chamber with your finger before closing the bolt.

ARC MAGS are my personal favorite. They are short like the P Mag and hold longer hand loads. The ARC mag slides into/out of the lower very easily as well and releases easily with the mag release. These are the only mags that I have been able to successfully top load with. you can drop the round and top of the mag and close the bolt without any jamming or other issues. You can also buy a 4-round mag extender for these that makes them as long as the AI mags, but they hold 14 rounds, which can come in very handy on 12+ round stages if you don't want to do a mag change or top load.

I also purchased one of the polymer AI style mags from Ruger but I sent it back when I realized it wouldn't hold long hand loads.
All in all, ARC mags are the best all around mag in my opinion. Obviously everyone is entitled to the own opinion, but I hope this helps.

This may be a bit off topic but I have a question for the RPR owners. My first chassis style bolt gun was my RPR .308 and I'm hooked. The local pawn shop has a 6.5 Creedmore RPR that's cerakoted red. It's some limited edition model. Like many of you I've got the long range precision shooting bug so everything I do with rifles is geared towards that end. I'm wanting a 6.5 Creedmore and a RPR would be great but they aren't cheap. Recently I was at Academy Sports and checked out a very nice Savage. I already own a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma which is a fantastic rifle and chambering but it's a barrel burner and Brass is very expensive so it's basically a safe queen. The Savage I was looking at is the Stealth Evolution. It has a 3 slot compensator that's supposedly more than $100 alone if purchased seperately the chassis is from Drake and is milled from a single block of billet aluminum. The chassis is Cerakoted bronze it has an Accutrigger which are great and Nagpur PRS3 stock. 24 inch fluted barrel with 8:1 twist and 5R rifling. I love the way this rifle looks and feels but all of that is worthless if it doesn't group well. The RPR sets the bar pretty high. Have any of you shot a stealth evolution 6.5? Or does anyone own one. I value the opinion of the shooters on this site and would appreciate your advice.

I wish I had read this thread sooner. I just ordered one. Compared to my buddy's Gucci $1300 custom action, the the weight of the RPR bolt lift is noticeable. Can't wait to try this part.

Another recommendation for the Anarchy cocking piece. According to my trigger scale, installing the new piece reduced the bolt lift from
7lb 7.5 oz before to 4lb 14.6 oz after!

Reactions: LongRangeLefty
All this chatter about RPR mags, I just wish us .223 RPR guys had options other than Ruger factory.

Question; do any of you shoot your rig in any of the PRS or NRL competitions? I was watching a lot of NRL videos on youtube, and every-once-n-a-blue-moon they will show a shooter running an RPR. They stand out amongst the full up custom guns some of those teams have...

Question; do any of you shoot your rig in any of the PRS or NRL competitions? I was watching a lot of NRL videos on youtube, and every-once-n-a-blue-moon they will show a shooter running an RPR. They stand out amongst the full up custom guns some of those teams have...
If you go to actual matches you will see a lot of them running production class. I would assume they do not get as much attention as the custom rigs because it's all beginners running them or the Ruger factory team. I am currently using a completely stock RPR and generally find myself in the middle of the pack, but its not the rifle holding me back (its me!). There are usually a bunch at my local 1 day club matches, that is why I painted my receiver blue so I can find mine. I would love to build a nice custom rifle, but I am not convinced I am at a stage that I would really gain much from it, and I wouldn't be able to pick the components that I want (I am very indecisive).

ARC MAGS are my personal favorite. They are short like the P Mag and hold longer hand loads. The ARC mag slides into/out of the lower very easily as well and releases easily with the mag release. These are the only mags that I have been able to successfully top load with. you can drop the round and top of the mag and close the bolt without any jamming or other issues. You can also buy a 4-round mag extender for these that makes them as long as the AI mags, but they hold 14 rounds, which can come in very handy on 12+ round stages if you don't want to do a mag change or top load.

Thanks! Didn't even know these were a thing. About to order one.

Another recommendation for the Anarchy cocking piece. According to my trigger scale, installing the new piece reduced the bolt lift from
7lb 7.5 oz before to 4lb 14.6 oz after!

Oh wow. I read 1 pound lighter on Anarchy's page. Can't wait to try it!

I shot my RPR in PRS and regional events for several years and it performed great. Even got me some trophies. I do have some custom rifles now, but honestly, they've had more problems than the RPR, and they cost a LOT more.

I shot my RPR in PRS and regional events for several years and it performed great. Even got me some trophies. I do have some custom rifles now, but honestly, they've had more problems than the RPR, and they cost a LOT more.

What actions and what do sort of problems?

What actions and what do sort of problems?
I got a Curtis Vector chambered in 6.5 and had insane pressure problems, even with loads that were only going like 2630fps. I've heard from a few other people now that have had the same problem with their vectors, but nobody knows why. I also have a 223 bolt for my Vector that works pretty good and I shot that in almost every match this year since the 6.5 wouldn't work.
I just recently bought a Bighorn Origin and have loved it so far. It has proven to be much more reliable than the Curtis Vector (and a LOT more affordable). I'll probably sell the vector and get two Origins.

All this chatter about RPR mags, I just wish us .223 RPR guys had options other than Ruger factory.
Doesn’t the 223 version fit AI cut mags? I have a 223(not an RPR) that I use Accurate Mags in with a custom follower that I printed and they work great! I also printed a fully custom 13 round mag that is even better.
F87A1EDD-2A7D-45DF-BBF4-862B2C028392.jpeg

Reactions: LMTMWS
This may be a bit off topic but I have a question for the RPR owners. My first chassis style bolt gun was my RPR .308 and I'm hooked. The local pawn shop has a 6.5 Creedmore RPR that's cerakoted red. It's some limited edition model. Like many of you I've got the long range precision shooting bug so everything I do with rifles is geared towards that end. I'm wanting a 6.5 Creedmore and a RPR would be great but they aren't cheap. Recently I was at Academy Sports and checked out a very nice Savage. I already own a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma which is a fantastic rifle and chambering but it's a barrel burner and Brass is very expensive so it's basically a safe queen. The Savage I was looking at is the Stealth Evolution. It has a 3 slot compensator that's supposedly more than $100 alone if purchased seperately the chassis is from Drake and is milled from a single block of billet aluminum. The chassis is Cerakoted bronze it has an Accutrigger which are great and Nagpur PRS3 stock. 24 inch fluted barrel with 8:1 twist and 5R rifling. I love the way this rifle looks and feels but all of that is worthless if it doesn't group well. The RPR sets the bar pretty high. Have any of you shot a stealth evolution 6.5? Or does anyone own one. I value the opinion of the shooters on this site and would appreciate your advice.

I'd be leery of purchasing a used one without knowing how much has been down the barrel. Unless you planned on replacing the barrel right away, or it was a killer deal where you didn't mind planning on that in near future.

But you can get a brand new RPR 6.5CM for just over $1,100 at Grab-A-Gun. So if the pawn shop is even close to that, may be worth just going new.

Never shot the other one, so no opinion on that.

Reactions: Brutalwarpig
For anyone who has an interest in a soft case which doesn't require any break down at the range I have had this Cabelas for awhile now and I love it. RPR 6.5 with 24" barrel and have an 8" can on the end and it closes just perfectly, no stress on case or zippers and I can easily leave the bolt in. Conversely if you feel some need to fold it or have a can longer than 8" the case will accommodate the RPR folded as well with bolt in. Sturdy zippers too.

Got my case and "tried it on." The RPR fits perfectly with room to spare. No stress as 8pointer said. Zippers, which ARE robust (also as 8pointer pointed out) were easy to close around the rifle, even with the bolt in the closed position.

For $70, I think it's a good deal.

Cabela's xtreme rifle case (1).jpg

With rifle inside:

Cabela's xtreme rifle case (2).jpg

Zipper pulls.

Cabela's xtreme rifle case (3).jpg

"Thought I would do a little mag comparison for anyone wanting to know what some of the other mag options are and how they compare.

The P MAGS that come with the rifle are nice if you are shooting factory ammo. They will not hold some of the longer hand loads, which was an issue for me. The P Mags are very easy to load and are fairly compact. However, they do not slide into/out of the lower as easily as other styles of mags. They mag release has to be pressed a little harder and further to drop a P Mag than with other mags. If you attempt to cycle the bolt with an empty P Mag, the bolt hits the follower in the mag and roughs it up. Top loading with a P Mag is very difficult. You have to slide the round into the camber with your finger before you can close the bolt.

AI STYLE MAGS hold longer rounds than the P Mags do, which is why I bought one. Unfortunately the mags are quite a bit longer than the P Mags and the ARC mags. They are a little harder to load than a P Mag. These mags slide into/out of the lower very easily. The mag release does not have to be pressed very hard to release these mags and they drop out on their own which is nice. The AI Mag has the same issue with top loading as the P Mag. You have to slide the round into the chamber with your finger before closing the bolt.

I also purchased one of the polymer AI style mags from Ruger but I sent it back when I realized it wouldn't hold long hand loads.
All in all, ARC mags are the best all around mag in my opinion. Obviously everyone is entitled to the own opinion, but I hope this helps.

The problem with your description is that there is also an AICS Pmag that works perfectly well like the other aics pattern mags. So your use of the term "Pmag" is sort of ambiguous. You should call them a LR/SR Pmag for a more accurate description.

I got a Curtis Vector chambered in 6.5 and had insane pressure problems, even with loads that were only going like 2630fps. I've heard from a few other people now that have had the same problem with their vectors, but nobody knows why. I also have a 223 bolt for my Vector that works pretty good and I shot that in almost every match this year since the 6.5 wouldn't work.
I just recently bought a Bighorn Origin and have loved it so far. It has proven to be much more reliable than the Curtis Vector (and a LOT more affordable). I'll probably sell the vector and get two Origins.

My origin has been perfect as well.

Will these AICS PMags close with an empty mag unlike the regular PMags?
Yeah. The bolt can close on an AICS like it can on all AICS pattern mags.
And the LR/SR can be closed on as well if you sand down and round off the bolt stop block a bit so it can slide over.
And quit saying "regular" pmag because no such thing exists so no one knows, only assumes, what you are really trying to say.
Say LR/SR or AICS where there is an actual distinction for a real product.
These are all "regular" Pmags.
1571411890658.png

1571412104695.png

1571412119999.png

1571412140785.png

1571412251062.png

1571412188512.png

Yeah. it can close on an AICS. And the LR/SR can be closed on as well if you sand down the bolt stop block.
And quit saying regular pmag because no such thing exists so no one knows, only assumes, what you are really trying to say.
Say LR/SR or AICS where there is an actual distinction for a real product.
These are all "regular" Pmags.
View attachment 7166224
You are correct in saying we shouldn't use "Regular" but as it is the one that comes factory from Ruger, saying Regular should be a 100% safe assumption to actually mean "LR/SR", maybe Factory Issued instead of regular.. Either way, LR/SR is the 100% accurate term... Thanks for the information and help.

question: why does the RPR 6.5 CM not like an AICS center feed mag? My problem is the 3 lug bolt. It the back of the lug catches the crest of the shoulder of my cartridge when extracting the spent round. The mag below is an MDT AICS mag. You have to be very forceful to get it past the shoulder.

Attachments

• 813C12BC-685D-421F-9924-4AD3F2170A2A.jpeg
    813C12BC-685D-421F-9924-4AD3F2170A2A.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 84269616-D7E7-415A-8B70-152A8A8B4D35.jpeg
    84269616-D7E7-415A-8B70-152A8A8B4D35.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 1BB73975-9942-4891-ACD2-0D6EDB5BD5DC.jpeg
    1BB73975-9942-4891-ACD2-0D6EDB5BD5DC.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I'm starting to consider getting a new barrel for my RPR 6.5CM. I've got 3,000 rounds through the original barrel. It's still shooting sub-MOA out to 300 yards. But, on occasion, I get to shoot 600+ yards, and I suspect I'll start seeing the effects of a worn barrel at the longer distances. I am seeing an increase in the ES and SD numbers.

I apologize if this has been discussed, but a search did not help. Two questions:

Krieger vs Bartlein?

1:8 vs 1:7.5?

Thanks!

I'm starting to consider getting a new barrel for my RPR 6.5CM. I've got 3,000 rounds through the original barrel. It's still shooting sub-MOA out to 300 yards. But, on occasion, I get to shoot 600+ yards, and I suspect I'll start seeing the effects of a worn barrel at the longer distances. I am seeing an increase in the ES and SD numbers.

I apologize if this has been discussed, but a search did not help. Two questions:

Krieger vs Bartlein?

1:8 vs 1:7.5?

Thanks!

As far as the manufacturer, either one. I know some fclass guys and that’s pretty much all they use.

For the twist, it kind of depends on what bullets you’re using. The 1:8 and 1:7.5 will handle heavier bullets such as the 130 or 140 grain better. For lighter bullets like a 120 grain you could probably even go with a 1:8.5 or 1:9

As far as the manufacturer, either one. I know some fclass guys and that’s pretty much all they use.

For the twist, it kind of depends on what bullets you’re using. The 1:8 and 1:7.5 will handle heavier bullets such as the 130 or 140 grain better. For lighter bullets like a 120 grain you could probably even go with a 1:8.5 or 1:9

The factory barrel is an 8-twist. Seems pretty standard for the 6.5CM rifles. My OEM 8 twist barrel handles both 130 and 140 grain bullets quite well. For target shooting, the 140-gr seems to be the "standard" and most widely available in factory match ammo. (I don't reload.) So, I'm thinking I should probably stick with the 8. I won't likely be going heavier than 140-gr (since there's not much factory ammo out there heavier than that). No practical advantage to the 7.5 twist.

The factory barrel is an 8-twist. Seems pretty standard for the 6.5CM rifles. My OEM 8 twist barrel handles both 130 and 140 grain bullets quite well. For target shooting, the 140-gr seems to be the "standard" and most widely available in factory match ammo. (I don't reload.) So, I'm thinking I should probably stick with the 8. I won't likely be going heavier than 140-gr (since there's not much factory ammo out there heavier than that). No practical advantage to the 7.5 twist.

I agree. If you don’t reload and you go with what’s most commonly available, the 140 grain, I’d stick with the 1:8. That will give you the best of both worlds since you could go a bit lighter if you wanted to.

My factory RPR barrel handles the 147 ELD-M fine as well. That's the biggest bullet I've seen in common factory ammunition, so I don't think I'd sweat the 8 twist.