• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

It's made by Catalyst Arms. Check out their site, they had a BF sale for $25, $10 less than Anarchy was selling it for.
Very nice thanks I like CA I have one of their bag riders. Incidentally if anyone has a fancy looking bolt handle who may want a Catalyst Arms angled bad rider I'd be up for swapping. Bought another thinking I was going to do a RPR Rimfire, but like a moron didn't pay attention this is for short action and magnums only. Argh.

Just wondering who has upgraded to the seekins handguard on there gen 3, if you have a scope with a 56mm lens, what size rings are you using. I've just put a gen 2 razor with 1.45 rings and lens cap on my RPR. And there's not much room left to possibly install the handguard. Has anyone had it fit or did you go to 1.5 rings.
Thanks
FB_IMG_1557683677112.jpg

Seeking handguard
Kahles i525 scope
Spuhr SP4006 rings 34mm
Elite Iron bipod
Thunderbeast Ultra 9

My son's (age 16) 59mm group (5 shots) at 600 yards. Not too bad for a standard rifle (mark 1 with muzzle brake and Ti bolt shroud). Was using a SEB rest. He was unlucky, as can be seen the group could have been much smaller, but he pulled the first shot!
5 shot group.JPG

anyone have a delta stryker on a gen1 with a spuhr mount?

to get the right eye relief the mount has run off the front of the rail. and the scope is forwards in the mount. do I either have a giraffe neck or the wrong mount?
I got a couple of friends to look through it and they agreed it could probably do with moving forward a bit more
Turn the mount around?

Quick random question, I own an FN SPR in 308 and DD D5 and RPR. The RPR is the only gun that won't chamber my reloads as is. I guess I need to squeeze them down more. And once owned a Rem 700 5R. All chambered my reloads except the RPR.

Are the RPR's known to have tight chambers and or bores? Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

PB

Quick random question, I own an FN SPR in 308 and DD D5 and RPR. The RPR is the only gun that won't chamber my reloads as is. I guess I need to squeeze them down more. And once owned a Rem 700 5R. All chambered my reloads except the RPR.

Are the RPR's known to have tight chambers and or bores? Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

PB
Has the barrel of your RPR ever been removed? If so you my want to check the head spacing with a Go/NoGo guage. Also measure your case lengths and make sure the are within SAMMI standards.

PB

If one is FL sizing to SAMMI specs, there shouldn't be such a problem with the RPR.

The only problem I can think of is with extracting fired cartridges from the RPR that has been fired several times from other rifle chambers. I've not experienced this as I've never interchanged cartridges between rifles with my RPR. I've heard reports that brass can develop some metallurgical memory with regards it's expansion within a chamber. But, if one is FL sizing, there shouldn't be a problem with chambering.

View attachment 7195666
Seeking handguard
Kahles i525 scope
Spuhr SP4006 rings 34mm
Elite Iron bipod
Thunderbeast Ultra 9

I'm just curious, how much of a difference did the TB Ultra make for sound? If you were solo on the line, would you be comfortable going no ear protection? Not that I would ever shoot without some, but I have not heard an RPR fired yet in person with a suppressor. The TB Ultra 9 is what I have on my wish list to begin with, so any feedback would be appreciated!!

hardly anyone doesn't use a moderator (suppressor) in the uk. In fact I think the only guys in my club who dont, do not have a threaded barrel.
it used to be difficult getting a slot for a moddy until someone sued the police for hearing damage (so the story goes) and now all you need to say is health and safety and they will approve.
I find it slightly bizarre that you guys over there have this bs tax stamp nonsense. doesn't make any sense at all.
it's much better for everyone if we use moderators, less noise, fewer complaints from neighbours it's a win win.

apart from the morons making the laws of course.

Reactions: IronmanDaremo
Very nice thanks I like CA I have one of their bag riders. Incidentally if anyone has a fancy looking bolt handle who may want a Catalyst Arms angled bad rider I'd be up for swapping. Bought another thinking I was going to do a RPR Rimfire, but like a moron didn't pay attention this is for short action and magnums only. Argh.
Hi 8pointer. You can return the bag rider and we'll issue a refund. Sorry it doesn't fit the rimfire. Thanks!

I'm just curious, how much of a difference did the TB Ultra make for sound? If you were solo on the line, would you be comfortable going no ear protection? Not that I would ever shoot without some, but I have not heard an RPR fired yet in person with a suppressor. The TB Ultra 9 is what I have on my wish list to begin with, so any feedback would be appreciated!!

A TBAC Ultra 9 would bring that RPR down to a dB Range in the low 130s. That is still a pretty loud bang to go without any ear protection.

I own Ultra 7s in 6.5mm and .30 cal and just wear single protection (either in ear or muffs) when shooting and find this to be very adequate. I always double up if there are other shooters using non-suppressed rifles.

I find another big benefit of suppressed firing to be the diminished concussive effects felt following a prolonged shooting session.

You can get by without ear protection but not wise. In my opinion where the TB Ultra 9 shines is POI. My rifles shoot the same groups and same impact location with or without suppression. The TB Ulta is a great product.

For some reason I am unable to start a new thread, so I am going to post here to a question I have.

Anarchy trigger shoe for Gen 2 RPR stock trigger does not fit. Called Anarchy and they told me it was a one size fits all and to play with it and it should work. They admitted that the only trigger they had mounted it on was the Timmy.

Anyone put one on the stock trigger and have any suggestions. I have removed the trigger spring and the pull is at 14 oz.. The only problem I have is the blade on the trigger face.

Thanks DannC

So I shot my rpr 338 today and when I lifted the bolt it was extremely hard to extract the casing and now it won’t go in. Yes I did do some research but found no solution other that sending/ calling ruger to get it resolved. I was curious if anyone know how to fix it here so I can so again this coming weekend. Also the bolt won’t separate or rotate enough to separate. Thank for any helpful advice

Saturday was my first time shooting my RPR .308 from prone and past 100 yards. I took a couple shots to double check my zero since I changed my hand guard and had to remove scope. I then used the Hornady app put in all the info I could get from weather app on my phone dialed in 11 MOA and shot 5 shots at the carriage bolt on my 12/20 silhouette and here are the results. 4 inch group at 460 yards2019-12-07 10.55.29.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking about buying a RPR in 6cm. I don't know anything about the differences from one generation to the next. Can someone break this down for me so I know what I'm looking for/at?

Bob

Buy one in 7-08 AI. Save your pennies for ammo instead of a new barrel every 1400rds

Buy one in 7-08 AI. Save your pennies for ammo instead of a new barrel every 1400rds

I feel like I'm missing out on something without having a 6cm. As much as I shoot and the fact that I have other rifles I enjoy, that 6cm barrel should last me a couple years. Still would like to know how to tell a second gen RPR from a third.

Bob

• Haha
Reactions: Meyersmp
Its very impressive what you guys are doing with these RPR's. Cool stuff, well done.

PB

@Ranger Bob Gen 1 had the Samson rail and no threaded muzzle. Gen 2 had threaded muzzle and brake with the newer Keymod handguard. Gen 3 went from Keymod to M-lok. Not sure if there are any other differences. Those are what come to mind.

Slightly incorrect. Gen 1 had a threaded barrel but didn't come with a muzzle brake, whereas they started including the brake starting at Gen2.

I thought all Gen 2's had aluminum shrouds...it was just that some of the earliest ones weren't milled correctly and could interfer with the operation of the bolt/firing pin/cocking piece and for that reason those shrouds (and only those shrouds) would be replaced.

See https://ruger.com/dataProcess/rprSafety/ for more info.

I thought all Gen 2's had aluminum shrouds...it was just that some of the earliest ones weren't milled correctly and could interfer with the operation of the bolt/firing pin/cocking piece and for that reason those shrouds (and only those shrouds) would be replaced.

See https://ruger.com/dataProcess/rprSafety/ for more info.

My Gen2 came with a plastic shroud when I got it. Since RPR serial number was on Ruger's list for replacement, they sent me a new aluminum one. I never did install it as I haven't had any issues with the plastic one. So am keeping and aluminum one stored away until I feel some need to install it.

can anyone with a 3D printer make an extended mag release? I will throw some money down for it!

Thinking about buying a RPR in 6cm. I don't know anything about the differences from one generation to the next. Can someone break this down for me so I know what I'm looking for/at?

Bob
Take it from someone with experience, in a 6 creed, check the chamber reaming. I had a pretty substantial issue with mine. Believe I posted somewhere on here about that.

Reactions: Ranger Bob
I agree with hardpan, another source for ready-made RPR mag release extensions is Anarchy Outdoors, they sell the catalyst arms.

I believe AO has a 12% off code until Wednesday. Merry12. I used it Saturday to get a delikat (AD Arms) billet cocking piece for my gen 2 RPR.

Side note: I’ve had Andrew do some fluting and microslick to my RPR bolt a couple years ago and his machining skills are top notch. The bolt ran a lot smoother after I got it back from him.

Side note: I’ve had Andrew do some fluting and microslick to my RPR bolt a couple years ago and his machining skills are top notch. The bolt ran a lot smoother after I got it back from him.

Had Andrew doing my RPR bolt too a couple of weeks ago. Fluting & micro slick (matches anarchy outdoors bolt shroud perfectly now) bushing for SM firing pin and cocking piece. He does some beautiful work !

I believe AO has a 12% off code until Wednesday. Merry12. I used it Saturday to get a delikat (AD Arms) billet cocking piece for my gen 2 RPR.

I just tried that code and comes up invalid so I added the . after the 12 and it told me it couldn't be applied to anything in my cart. I had the AD cocking piece the TI firing pin and the 419 brake

Last edited:
I just tried that code and comes up invalid so I added the . after the 12 and it told me it couldn't be applied to anything in my cart. I had the AD cocking piece the TI firing pin and the 419 brake

Try MERRY12 The email I got from them stated anything in their store

There is a new RPR 6mm Creedmoor, 18057. It has a 26", heavier barrel, and the rail on the bottom of the handguard. Anyone fondled one in the wild? Or is it just a number in the catalog?

Reactions: SpicyChipmunk
I've got a Gen II 6.5, love it. I just went to pull my bolt and when I folded the stock over, a couple of pieces flew! Luckily the plug had just come loose and it and the allen wrench flipped out. Had me worried for a second!. I've also got one in a 338LM. I'm not real big and the thing kind of hammers, but boy is it addictive. Got it late spring and that's all I've shot this summer. I bought it ANIB and the original owner said it only came with one magazine. TIGHT fit, have to lean it up, brace the rifle and use two hands to take it out. Figured it would loosen up the more I use it, but it never has. Ordered another factory mag for it the other day and it's night and day difference. Measured them and the original one is up to .030" thicker than the new one. No wonder it's so tight! Emailed Ruger to see if I can get it replaced. Be nice if they'd send me two to make up for only having one to begin with.

My friend, who was an army sniper, has his heart set on either a 50 BMG or a 338 Lapua, and he has been leaning towards the lapua because there’s almost nowhere around here you can fire a 50 BMG. When he found out about the RPR lapua, he was all set to make the buy, but then someone he talked to told him there’s no point in getting a lupua without spending a minimum 12 grand. Does anyone know where this guy is coming from?

I'll stick with and recommend those cheap, POS RPR's anytime! Both of mine will shoot a lot better than my old, retired ass can do. I'm having a ball...and NOT spending 12 grand in the process on a custom rifle. Spend 15% of that 12 grand on an RPR and you can afford to buy a LOT of ammo and shoot a LONG time. But then I'm cheap...I even own Savages!

Also if you want with the RPR you can change out the barrel to a high end barrel and you can change the stock the trigger , the handguard etc. and customize it in many ways and still have plenty of money left over for ammo.

Reactions: Hardpan
Also if you want with the RPR you can change out the barrel to a high end barrel and you can change the stock the trigger , the handguard etc. and customize it in many ways and still have plenty of money left over for ammo.

o_O
Yeah, one can do all that. But if one thinks they are likely to do so, maybe all that money to spend on these these can get you a much better custom rifle for the same overall cost. . . huh??? :eek: ;)

Reactions: Wssickta
o_O
Yeah, one can do all that. But if one thinks they are likely to do so, maybe all that money to spend on these these can get you a much better custom rifle for the same overall cost. . . huh??? :eek: ;)

True although my custom retailed for about 3k and that’s with no trigger, but out of the box, this is a great product for the money. Shoot the factory barrel out and replace it. Customs are great but don’t make you shoot better. To each their own, this is just my opinion.

Reactions: BU37377
True although my custom retailed for about 3k and that’s with no trigger, but out of the box, this is a great product for the money. Shoot the factory barrel out and replace it. Customs are great but don’t make you shoot better. To each their own, this is just my opinion.

Yes, the RPR is a great value (IMHO). When I got mine (a .308), I only made a couple minor changes (installed a vertical grip and removed to trigger tension spring to give me less than 1# pull). Also, I smoothed the bore out a little using Tubb's Final Finish Bore Lapping System. With precision tuned reloaded ammo, got very good accuracy well below .5 MOA. After about 4000 rounds it was still shooting just fine but it was my birthday and decided to replace the barrel with a Krieger barrel, which I now have over 2,000 round down it and it's getting ever better accuracy with same trigger and all (now having total of about 6,000 firings). Since I'm getting MOAs consistently in the .3's (sometimes better, sometimes worse), I'm VERY happy with this gun shooting about as well as I feel I can. It'd be nice if I could consistently get into the .1's, but I'm pretty sure that's unrealistic for a .308. . . . and me. ?

Yes, the RPR is a great value (IMHO). When I got mine (a .308), I only made a couple minor changes (installed a vertical grip and removed to trigger tension spring to give me less than 1# pull). Also, I smoothed the bore out a little using Tubb's Final Finish Bore Lapping System. With precision tuned reloaded ammo, got very good accuracy well below .5 MOA. After about 4000 rounds it was still shooting just fine but it was my birthday and decided to replace the barrel with a Krieger barrel, which I now have over 2,000 round down it and it's getting ever better accuracy with same trigger and all (now having total of about 6,000 firings). Since I'm getting MOAs consistently in the .3's (sometimes better, sometimes worse), I'm VERY happy with this gun shooting about as well as I feel I can. It'd be nice if I could consistently get into the .1's, but I'm pretty sure that's unrealistic for a .308. . . . and me. ?

Man that’s awesome getting those kind of results with a .308 RPR. I was thoroughly impressed with my 6.5 RPR when I shot a 7.5 in group at 1000 yards with the factory barrel and factory ammo in 10 mph changing winds. I pretty much did the same mods as you except a 2 stage timney and still shooting the factory barrel. Have a proof carbon waiting in the safe. Cheers

Reactions: straightshooter1