• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I clipped a few coils off the adjustment spring in my stock trigger and then cleaned and lubed it. It was really good.

Once I installed an MPA grip I noticed it had a tiny bit of creep to it so I put in a Timney. The Timney does not have the creep but other than that it is nothing spectacular. It fits tight and is somewhat of a PIA to install/remove.

Thinking of the triggers as food - the stock trigger is a burger, fries, and a diet Coke. It came free with the rifle. I dropped another $240 and my diet Coke become regular Coke.

I’d never play that. I paid $156.51 from AO. Regardless my factory trigger was not to my liking and the Timney fit the bill
$240 is what is listed on Timney's site. I did not pay that either. Either way I am not impressed with the Timney I bought. Hopefully there is another option.

Reactions: Hardpan
For those of you that are having LOP issues with the Magpul PRS Gen3 stock, you can trim one of the adapters. You can see here where I fitted one to a .300 PRC. It now wears a black one and I painted that adapter black to match.

I found the solution doing internet searches. I did some very careful measuring. Due to the tube bottoming out inside the stock you can only go
so far. A shorter tube (or the end moved towards the receiver) would allow a better fit. Eventually I might try that. Basically you bottom the stock out on the buffer tube, back it off say 1/16" of an inch (or put a 1/16" or whatever) spacer on the end of the tube) then get the measurements that are needed to cut the adapter to.

I used a small Dremel cut off wheel and then filed to fit. Giving some clearance gives you some wiggle room if you are not 100 percent on the adapter. Once I started fitting it, I used a black marker or something so when it touched I could see the high spots to file until I got contact all
around.

I tried to tell Magpul that they could make an adapter for the RPR but "we don't do custom work", "it wasn't invented here" blah blah blah blah blah.

The next project is to make a pattern and cut and mold a better cheekpiece overlay for the 2 other RPR's I have acquired out of Kydex. If it works out I will try and remember to post up a picture of the pattern (with dimensions of course) and the finished project.

StockOnPRC.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: XgobudX
For those of you that are having LOP issues with the Magpul PRS Gen3 stock, you can trim one of the adapters. You can see here where I fitted one to a .300 PRC. It now wears a black one and I painted that adapter black to match.

I found the solution doing internet searches. I did some very careful measuring. Due to the tube bottoming out inside the stock you can only go
so far. A shorter tube (or the end moved towards the receiver) would allow a better fit. Eventually I might try that. Basically you bottom the stock out on the buffer tube, back it off say 1/16" of an inch (or put a 1/16" or whatever) spacer on the end of the tube) then get the measurements that are needed to cut the adapter to.

I used a small Dremel cut off wheel and then filed to fit. Giving some clearance gives you some wiggle room if you are not 100 percent on the adapter. Once I started fitting it, I used a black marker or something so when it touched I could see the high spots to file until I got contact all
around.

I tried to tell Magpul that they could make an adapter for the RPR but "we don't do custom work", "it wasn't invented here" blah blah blah blah blah.

The next project is to make a pattern and cut and mold a better cheekpiece overlay for the 2 other RPR's I have acquired out of Kydex. If it works out I will try and remember to post up a picture of the pattern (with dimensions of course) and the finished project.

View attachment 7493806

I assume you are using a carbine buffer?

The tube that is on the gun, as shipped. So it is carbine length. I simply took the factory stock apart, leaving the tube installed and fitted the Magpul stock. Even though I have longer arms, I am 5'6" tall and my knuckles don't drag the ground. Without this modification, the LOP was too long for me to be comfortable.

I wonder what the street price will be. Any release date info?

My guess based off Ruger RPR MSRP $1599 to around street $1285 (20% difference), Ruger RPR Magnums MSRP $2099 to around street $1680 (also around 20%), looking at the Custom which has a $2399 MSRP being sold for $1920 street.

No release date info. Timeline is totally up in the air with how politics are going at the moment.

If it’s 1300 that’s a slam dunk. Fingers crossed. $1,900-2000 range starts making the GAP PPR look like a better option...
I bought my gen 2 6.5 for $1050 brand new 3.5 years ago. Maybe $1300 was a little to kind to assume especially during these times right now and I didn’t really read all the stuff they added to it. $1700-1900 is probably a better estimate especially with another companies trigger and the factory stainless barrel coming from Rugers custom shop

Last edited:
I've had my Gen2 RPR .308 for 4 yrs now and I too paid $1050 for it. I kept it stock for 2 years and after 3700 rounds through the factory barrel I replaced it with a Krieger SS barrel (~$550, a birthday gift purchase) and a vertical grip ($35) and a year later installed a Timney trigger ($210) and a few months ago mounted a Harrell tuner ($90). So, as it now is configured, that's $1,935 and it shoot bug holes. So, this new Ruger custom RPR looks like an appropriate price point for a more high end rifle.

The Timney trigger is nice and as expected breaks nicely and has a very nice feel, but the results I get on paper aren't really aren't any different. I did tweek the factory trigger by removing the adjustment spring where the pull is at 12-14 oz like where the Timney trigger is now set.

Actually there's a couple additions that I've found helpful in getting my groups down into the 3's pretty consistently. One is the adjustable bag rider from Long Shot Precision ($230) and the other is the JP Enterprises Benchrest Forearm Adapter ($80) that I often use in place of a bipod.

The ONLY thing I'm not satisfied about with this rifle is the bolt lift. It's definitely more stiff than is should be.

Last edited:
$240 is what is listed on Timney's site. I did not pay that either. Either way I am not impressed with the Timney I bought. Hopefully there is another option.
The retail went up overnight about a year ago I am glad I got mine before that from AO and they even hooked me up on a open box one from shot show for a awesome $

I read today Ruger doesn't have a listing in there catalog for the gen 3 6mm any more it looks like they discontinued it

Hello everybody,
Hope i dont mess it up, i am from Germany and new on this website :)
I have a RPR since one year now and its almost perfect, when i tested it i shot a .5 moa group with 5 shots on 100 meters using only a bipod siting at a table
Ammo was factory 308, winchester ballistic silvertip 150 gr since i use it till now mainly for hunting
I only got one problem with the gun, maybe somebody can help, when reloading from the mag the bullets jam up in the "lands"?? when the ass still sits in the mag, has somebody had this Problem and maybe a solution?
Greetings to you all and i hope my english is not too bad :/

Sry didnt mention yet, if the answer was posted already, i have read the first 20 of 100 pages but it is very much information to pick up in here :D

Hello everybody,
I have a RPR since one year now and its almost perfect, when i tested it i shot a .5 moa group with 5 shots on 100 meters using only a bipod siting at a table
Ammo was factory 308, winchester ballistic silvertip 150 gr since i use it till now mainly for hunting
I only got one problem with the gun, maybe somebody can help, when reloading from the mag the bullets jam up in the "lands"?? when the ass still sits in the mag, has somebody had this Problem and maybe a solution?

Sry didnt mention yet, if the answer was posted already, i have read the first 20 of 100 pages but it is very much information to pick up in here :D

Welcome to this board German_Guy.

In the 3 years I've been on this board, I've not heard of this issue at all. From your description, it sounds like an issue with the mag or with how the mag fitting into the magwell. So, I'd try to get hold of some other mag or someone else's RPR to test and compare to help figure out where the problem might be.

Hello everybody,

I have that problem if I try to single load with a mag inserted (empty mag and just try to lay a round on top and feed it with the bolt) but never when feeding from the mag. I use Magpul AICS mags in my RPR.

Hello!

Just picked up a RPR in 300 win mag. My wife owns a savage ba110 (pictured) she has had for 12-13 years so we have all the stuff to reload for it already which is why I went with this caliber. I wanted a RPR for 4 years and of course I wait until they go up in price, because I guess when there is a shortage that is when I decide its a priority.

I picked up this vortex scope as it was cheap and 34mm (military discount). I really liked the FFP and the reticle. I have some vortex PMR 1.45 height rings on the way too.

Note: We plink for fun. My reloading is not atomic accurate but it is safe, and I dont shoot a lot. Id say the savage has probably has 600-700 rounds through it in all those years nearly all of those were reloads.

Our range is 600 yards max, and Im not real proficient. I practice with a lot of 150g bullets as I shoot 300bo and 308 as well. I do plan to increase my skills and have picked up some new brass and heavier bullets. Im open to comments on my choices.

Question:
Anyone run a suppressor? I have some NFA items already so I know the process. I think it is a good candidate for a suppressor given how loud the savage is and people comment at the range. Curious if it is effective on this gun and if there are any suggestions. I know a suppressor contradicts "for fun" but really it is practical to reduce the noise. Im thinking a 30 cal supressor I could use on my 300bo, 308, and 300Wm would be ideal if thats possible.

IMG_20201211_222320771.jpgIMG_20201211_222303563.jpg

Hello everybody,

I also had that problem if I tried to load a single round, you can't single load with the stock mags. I now use ARC mags (American Rifle Company) mags so I can single load plus they are better mags.

anyone install a swept bolt handle with a round knob? I’m trying to mimmic the bolt handle on my AIAX. I was looking at the glades armory handle but I’ve read several reviews stating they are an unreliable company to order from. If you have such a thing, throw up some pics!

page 100(y)(y)

Hello!

Just picked up a RPR in 300 win mag. My wife owns a savage ba110 (pictured) she has had for 12-13 years so we have all the stuff to reload for it already which is why I went with this caliber. I wanted a RPR for 4 years and of course I wait until they go up in price, because I guess when there is a shortage that is when I decide its a priority.

I picked up this vortex scope as it was cheap and 34mm (military discount). I really liked the FFP and the reticle. I have some vortex PMR 1.45 height rings on the way too.

Note: We plink for fun. My reloading is not atomic accurate but it is safe, and I dont shoot a lot. Id say the savage has probably has 600-700 rounds through it in all those years nearly all of those were reloads.

Our range is 600 yards max, and Im not real proficient. I practice with a lot of 150g bullets as I shoot 300bo and 308 as well. I do plan to increase my skills and have picked up some new brass and heavier bullets. Im open to comments on my choices.

Question:
Anyone run a suppressor? I have some NFA items already so I know the process. I think it is a good candidate for a suppressor given how loud the savage is and people comment at the range. Curious if it is effective on this gun and if there are any suggestions. I know a suppressor contradicts "for fun" but really it is practical to reduce the noise. Im thinking a 30 cal supressor I could use on my 300bo, 308, and 300Wm would be ideal if thats possible.

View attachment 7498538View attachment 7498539
I run supressor on my 308 rpr and i dont even think of shooting without it anymore
Its a Hausken Jakt 224, i dont know if you know them in the USA but i love, have to say its pretty big with about 9 inches lenght but i dont compete yet and for hunting its one of the best

Concerning my reloading issues i only had the chance to try pmags till now

I have that problem if I try to single load with a mag inserted (empty mag and just try to lay a round on top and feed it with the bolt) but never when feeding from the mag. I use Magpul AICS mags in my RPR.
I rarely shoot from full mags, almost never. I made a single shot "sled" from 3/4" PVC pipe. Works like a charm.

Reactions: erslll
anyone install a swept bolt handle with a round knob? I’m trying to mimmic the bolt handle on my AIAX. I was looking at the glades armory handle but I’ve read several reviews stating they are an unreliable company to order from. If you have such a thing, throw up some pics!

page 100(y)(y)

I purchased one a couple years ago, installed it for a few cycles, then went back to my regular handle. I thought it would mimic my AI bolt handle but it didn't even come close...the curve is way off and the ball is too large. I always meant to use some heat to change the curve and find a smaller ball, but have never gotten around to it. However, getting the swept handle with a ball knob from Anarchy Outdoors for my Bergara B14R has made me want to get back to it. (The ball knob from AO is smaller and feels great). I think I'll get another ball knob from AO and give it a go. The only other change besides the curve is that I'll have to cut a little off the threaded shank on the glades handle since the AO ball won't thread all the way on currently.

Finally got done reading all 100 pages... Ooof :D
Got some questions i couldnt find an answer for

1. Somebody tuned the factory trigger on the gen 3? Its a .308 so not the magnum. I didnt find it confirmed for gen3 till now, mine is shit but the timney cost over 400 dollars here :/

2. I found that my handguard is a bit tourned clock wise so the rifle is not Level when bipod installed on 6 oclock, is it easy to readjust?

3. Not rpr but scope question, anybody got experience with the steiner m7xi 4-28x56? Would love to run it if its as good whats been told

Sry for the questions but never really took apart my rifles yet cuz its the first tactical i got

I purchased one a couple years ago, installed it for a few cycles, then went back to my regular handle. I thought it would mimic my AI bolt handle but it didn't even come close...the curve is way off and the ball is too large. I always meant to use some heat to change the curve and find a smaller ball, but have never gotten around to it. However, getting the swept handle with a ball knob from Anarchy Outdoors for my Bergara B14R has made me want to get back to it. (The ball knob from AO is smaller and feels great). I think I'll get another ball knob from AO and give it a go. The only other change besides the curve is that I'll have to cut a little off the threaded shank on the glades handle since the AO ball won't thread all the way on currently.

thank you for the input. I may have to give the handle and ball from AO a shot. If I do, I’ll report back here

Hello everybody,

The aw pmag’s that came with the rifle don’t feed that well, I’ve had similar issues. I like others here will suggest buying a couple AICS mags. Its all I use now.

Hello everybody,

Welcome to the group!

What's a good rear bag for shooting off a bench? I was looking at Armageddon Gear's Brick rear bag but not sure which one to get. Not interested in a slider set up yet, maybe down the road. Just looking for what others are using.
RPR 6.5CM Gen 3 with PRS Gen 3 stock

Hello!

Question:

View attachment 7498538View attachment 7498539
My stock ruger .300 win mag barrel sucked. Hope yours does better. I went to a krieger barrel and now I'm happy.

What's a good rear bag for shooting off a bench? I was looking at Armageddon Gear's Brick rear bag but not sure which one to get. Not interested in a slider set up yet, maybe down the road. Just looking for what others are using.
Tab Gear rear bag. Small or large depending on your build. Heavy fill

Reactions: Bender
My stock ruger .300 win mag barrel sucked. Hope yours does better. I went to a krieger barrel and now I'm happy.

My 300 PRC barrel sucked. It shot really well but the chamber was shaped like an egg and I couldn't get fired brass back into the chamber or get the fired brass through my sizing die. I called Ruger. They told me to pound sand. As long as the rifle shot factory rounds they were okay with it. Reloads are no go with Ruger. I put a Krieger drop in barrel on it. It shot really well and sizing was a breeze. Then my firing pin assembly came un-cocked after firing a round. I had to cut the shroud off of the bolt in order to get it re-cocked. Currently shooting the rifle without the shroud and about every 30-40 rounds the firing pin assembly comes un-cocked when lifting the bolt on a fired case. Others over on the Ruger forum have had the same problem. No solution so far.

Thanks Hardpan those look good. I appreciate all 100 pages of RPR posts. Super helpful if not detrimental to my savings account!
No problem. Trust me I have 6 bags in my closet I don’t use. Tab gear is the only one that is consistent for me for a rear bag.

Reactions: Shamrock1123
I use the Armageddon Gear Python bag.

The aw pmag’s that came with the rifle don’t feed that well, I’ve had similar issues. I like others here will suggest buying a couple AICS mags. Its all I use now.

Yeah i also found the Problem now, the pmag's sit too low and when the bullet jumps out of the mag they get stuck under the extractor pin of the bolt... But i am also not sure if that is correct, could somebody check on his rpr if the pin stands over the head of the bolt or are they on the same level?

Welcome to the group!

Thanks mate :)

My 300 PRC barrel sucked. It shot really well but the chamber was shaped like an egg and I couldn't get fired brass back into the chamber or get the fired brass through my sizing die. I called Ruger. They told me to pound sand. As long as the rifle shot factory rounds they were okay with it. Reloads are no go with Ruger. I put a Krieger drop in barrel on it. It shot really well and sizing was a breeze. Then my firing pin assembly came un-cocked after firing a round. I had to cut the shroud off of the bolt in order to get it re-cocked. Currently shooting the rifle without the shroud and about every 30-40 rounds the firing pin assembly comes un-cocked when lifting the bolt on a fired case. Others over on the Ruger forum have had the same problem. No solution so far.

Wow I just had a similar issue with the bolt on my .300 win mag! I was barely able to lift bolt high enough to pull it back and remove it from the rifle. It happened while dry firing. Never occurred before in almost 400 rounds. I couldnt get the shroud off and the firing pin just seemed to flop aroound so I sent it into ruger it's on its way back as I type this. Can you please describe what's going on inside the bolt ? Sad that they can't even design a bolt correctly. Must just be a problem with the magnums cause I haven't heard the issues on the original version. Sad.

Good luck. Junk. When it happened to mine, the bolt hung up in the action. I got it out. I had fired a round and then when I lifted the bolt handle the firing pin would not re-cock. Once I got the bolt out of it, I couldn't get the shroud off of the bolt. When I got home, I cut the shroud off, re-cocked the firing pin assembly with the tool and put the firing pin assembly back into the bolt. Rifle still drops the firing pin assembly every 30-40 rounds on lift. At least without the shroud you can pull the bolt out and use the tool to re-cock it.

There is some older posts on here and over on the Ruger forum about it.

I extended the cheek piece with some Kydex. The 2nd one worked out better, eventually I will make a good mold and recast the first but it is very usable as is. Extending the length 1 1/4" ish sure changed the feel. We got a little curl on the first one, there was a learning curve for working with the Kydex and heating it with a heat gun.

I wanted to try this before investing in another or 2 Magpul PRS Gen3 stocks. It was a success.

The extension is held on with 2-sided tape.

Attachments

• 629935935.jpg
    629935935.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 629936396.jpg
    629936396.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 629936415.jpg
    629936415.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Reactions: HKshooter
That is good to know. I have a .300 PRC I have not shot yet and will watch out for it occurring with mine.

I extended the cheek piece with some Kydex. The 2nd one worked out better, eventually I will make a good mold and recast the first but it is very usable as is. Extending the length 1 1/4" ish sure changed the feel. We got a little curl on the first one, there was a learning curve for working with the Kydex and heating it with a heat gun.

I wanted to try this before investing in another or 2 Magpul PRS Gen3 stocks. It was a success.

The extension is held on with 2-sided tape.
Are you going to sell these?