• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Anyone checked out the new Ruger AICS pattern mags? I'm going to be loading for my 6.5 GEN 1 and want a mag or two that I can squeeze maximum COAL and still feed reliably. I know the metal AR mags have a smidge more room than polymer, is it the same for AR-10 pattern mags? I'm also thinking about picking up a 20 rounder, but that will mostly be for looks.

Are these the mags you are talking about? https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/pro...03535.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

I feel like this thread is going to be detrimental to my wallet. Going through and making notes. And looking at everyone's optics. I've only had mine for about 3 weeks but it's quickly becoming my obsession.

Start looking for a second job to feed the addiction. It's real

^ That it is. I started reloading to suit my needs and save money. Instead I just shoot twice as much

Amazon had a reloading kit on sale that I purchased and the Nation's Gun Show in Dulles(DC) is this weekend so I'm going to be going down there and seeing what I can pick up for supplies.

Sounds good man. I'm tellin ya, you'll wonder why you didn't reload sooner!

I'm lining up a trade for one of these in 6.5, a Gen 2. This is my first post, longtime lurker.

- I am thinking of cutting the barrel on it once I get it to 16 or 18 inches. I realize this is sacrilege to lots of people. Context below:
- A big reason I am trading my 700 in 6.5 with a 22 inch barrel is weight and size (medium palma)
- I really want the folding stock, and the adjustment is appealing as well. I also want the longer fore end, and barrel swap capability.
- I have an Omega in NFA jail, hoping to get it in October, purchased in January.
- I finished the Mammoth Sniper Challenge this year in the tough man division. Weight is a premium, and there were many stages with difficult and unstable positions. I feel that a compact rifle would be handier all around and lighter. The number of shots I took over 1K vs the handiness...I would pick handiness. Planning to shoot again at Mammoth 2018.
- I would also hunt with this rifle. Reference above comments on handiness
- Scope will be a Vortex 5-25 PST Gen II. I pre ordered one, should be coming any day now.
- Ammo is ELD 140gr, working on getting into reloading.

Questions:
- What velocity can I expect from a 16 vs an 18 inch?
- What am I really giving up vs the 22 inches I have now?
- What gains can I expect from a suppressor? (i.e. will a suppressed 16 inch be the same MV as an unsuppressed 18 inch?)
- How much of the 6.5's effectiveness results from muzzle velocity as opposed to BC and external ballistics? Does it still buck wind and drop less compared to 308, even with a lower velocity (I think this will be 2500-2600 fps from a 16-18 inch).

Thanks in advance,

Bryant

I'm lining up a trade for one of these in 6.5, a Gen 2. This is my first post, longtime lurker.

- I am thinking of cutting the barrel on it once I get it to 16 or 18 inches. I realize this is sacrilege to lots of people. Context below:
- A big reason I am trading my 700 in 6.5 with a 22 inch barrel is weight and size (medium palma)
- I really want the folding stock, and the adjustment is appealing as well. I also want the longer fore end, and barrel swap capability.
- I have an Omega in NFA jail, hoping to get it in October, purchased in January.
- I finished the Mammoth Sniper Challenge this year in the tough man division. Weight is a premium, and there were many stages with difficult and unstable positions. I feel that a compact rifle would be handier all around and lighter. The number of shots I took over 1K vs the handiness...I would pick handiness. Planning to shoot again at Mammoth 2018.
- I would also hunt with this rifle. Reference above comments on handiness
- Scope will be a Vortex 5-25 PST Gen II. I pre ordered one, should be coming any day now.
- Ammo is ELD 140gr, working on getting into reloading.

Questions:
- What velocity can I expect from a 16 vs an 18 inch?
- What am I really giving up vs the 22 inches I have now?
- What gains can I expect from a suppressor? (i.e. will a suppressed 16 inch be the same MV as an unsuppressed 18 inch?)
- How much of the 6.5's effectiveness results from muzzle velocity as opposed to BC and external ballistics? Does it still buck wind and drop less compared to 308, even with a lower velocity (I think this will be 2500-2600 fps from a 16-18 inch).

Thanks in advance,

Bryant

You will likely lose 200fpm at least on the 6.5 cutting the barrel down that short. Unless you stay with the lighter rounds like the 120 AMAX. But the 140's would be useless. This would significantly reduce the effectiveness of the 6.5. You may as well just make it a 308 and save the barrel life. I wouldn't use my RPR in an event like mammoth. Way to heavy.

your guess on MV is pretty close. I got 2737 at 88f with the 140 ELD-M's on the factory 24 inch bbl. you can bet you would struggle to get 2600 in the same conditions.

Last edited:
I have the .308 and I'm a fan of a short barrel. I just Hail Mary 190's at 1000 and they do just fine.

Doing some more reading...looks like the AMAX 120gr performs a lot better out of short barrels. A LOT better.

Quoting from below link: "With the 120 A-MAX, there is little lost as the barrel length decreases from 27″ to 24″ inside of 800 yards. At 1,000 yards, 0.3 mils of elevation and 0.1 mils of drift are sacrificed. Note the 6.5 Creedmoor 120 grain A-MAX with a 16″ barrel shoots inside of the 308 Winchester 175 grain SMK with a 22″ barrel at 1,000 yards."

I found this interesting reading for others in similar predicaments.

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-...rel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor

Bryant

Lefty: "That it is. I started reloading to suit my needs and save money. Instead I just shoot twice as much"

My young friend. you are inflicted, join the ranks. Don't deny it, fight it but rather embrace it. You are going through a transitional stage of awaking that will, over time, create moments of both joy and frustration. When counseling is needed, come to these pages. Sage advice and wisdom will carry you through the dark moments and help celebrate the great ones. As I remove my tongue from cheek, let me leave you with one tidbit;

"Calm days make good groups. Windy days make good shooters"

Have fun, be safe.

200 yd range. Right hand group was variable loads and powders (h4350 and rl-16). Left hand group was 42.1gr h4350 with 105gr hybrid bergers. For a factory barrel, the 6mm creedmoor ruger shoots really well. 10 - 5 mph full value wind from the right.

Attachments

• photo66027.jpg
    photo66027.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 36
What are the two raised areas on the bottom of the rail that comes with the rifle? Had it since I got the rifle and never used it until now. Are those "file to fit" spots or something? They cause the rail to sit raised from the Handguard and therefore not be tight enough. Got the rail adapter for the new Sinclair Tactical bipod. Put on a different rail I had laying around and it was fine. No more cant side to side unless I want it to.

What are the two raised areas on the bottom of the rail that comes with the rifle?
The ones at the front of the rail? That's the mount point for the picatinny rail, to attach your bipod to. Pic rail was included with your rifle, in the box.

Sorry, i meant pistol grip that was more vertical. Magpul k2+ maybe?

I'm running an MPA Evo vertical grip, doesn't get any more vertical. I love it on my RPR. You do need to do a little minor fitting on the grip to get it just right though.

Last edited:
Nutnfancy finally chimed in. I like a lot of what he does, but his ego is massive. His fundamentals are atrocious and should not review anything with the word precision in it. Now the RPR is not perfect, but I don't think he spent enough time with the gun or even understands what shooting past 200 yes is

https://youtu.be/sZz_bPQ7xJ8

Reactions: Bulldog10
Nutnfancy finally chimed in. I like a lot of what he does, but his ego is massive. His fundamentals are atrocious and should not review anything with the word precision in it. Now the RPR is not perfect, but I don't think he spent enough time with the gun or even understands what shooting past 200 yes is

I agree that guy could turn a one page book into a novel, and from looking at his ammo choices I don't think he was caring much about being precise.

He's always super long winded and spends too much time jacking himself for sure. His fundamentals are indeed awful, I was really suprised at how bad he slaps the trigger and seems to change his sight picture constantly. He also has a bad habit of grabbing the forearm of the rifle. Between that and his ammo choices I'm not surprised at the results. I do appreciate that he gives an honest review based on his actual experience though, however if my results were that far off from what seems to be the common experience with the rifle I would go back and look at what I was doing and see if the problem is me. The other thing that surprised me is how generally unfamiliar he seemed with the features of the rifle, he was unsure if it was compatible with standard AR type stocks, it just didn't seem like he had done any reading on the gun prior to getting it. I also wonder if he was rushing through this one, he mentions numerous times about crunched for time he is and if that impacted the results. The thing that gets me the most about his reviews though is that he doesn't seem to have any real methodology for how he tests things and we are just supposed to trust his results because he "shoots a lot of guns". Also when he mentions "operational conditions", that makes me laugh.

Just got back in from shooting my rpr in 6 creed,was burning up some factory ammo to get some more brass.I have to say I have some custom rifles that cost many thousand more dollars and this thing will shoot with the best of them,I even am waiting on a rifle from Alamo precision but for me this thing is worth every penny.with 353 rounds down barrel even this factory hornady will make one jagged hole with at least 7 ends and with reloader 26 and 105 Berger it flat ass is impressive.only thing I've done is put a mpa grip lost the trigger spring and shot and cleaned it a couple times,thought about a xlr stock but the factory is working for me fine.i,ve only had it out to 950 yards so far and it's done excellent.

^ Glad you're enjoying it. I had an XLR stock on my AR15 and really liked it. Good quality stuff. For me the factory one on this rifle has been fine

I have a gen 1 RPR. I got it 2 years ago in july. About a week after they came out.

I came across a gen 2 handguard cheap. I want it for an AR I have BUT the Ruger site says the gen 2 HG does not fit ARs.

Does anyone know why?

I may may end up just putting the gen 2 HG on my RPR and using the gen 1 on my AR.

^ I don't know much about the gen 2 as I have a gen 1. On mine, the handguard slides through grooves on the thermal bushings to line up right, and then clamps on with hex screws on the bottom. Most AR handguards thread right on to the barrel nut.

I have a gen 1 RPR. I got it 2 years ago in july. About a week after they came out.

I came across a gen 2 handguard cheap. I want it for an AR I have BUT the Ruger site says the gen 2 HG does not fit ARs.

Does anyone know why?

I may may end up just putting the gen 2 HG on my RPR and using the gen 1 on my AR.

Should work just fine. That said, I know a guy with an extra Gen 2 handguard.

I'm getting a vortex razor HD gen II scope for my precision gen2. What rings do you guys recommend.

^ I like a one piece mount. I use a Team Warne but Badger's is very nice too

The extra high 1.5 inch one with no moa?

thats correct. With MOA built into the rail I didn't see a need for additional cant for my purposes. My QDP 4002 spuhr is now on my AIAX but it was mounted on my gen 2 RPR w gen 2 Razor
I switched to a Spuhr 3006 for my 50mm pst which I still haven't received.

What's everyone running for mags? I did not realize the factory pmags are so limiting on COAL. I haven't ran any rounds through the new lri barrel and mag length may work great, but really narrows options for seating depths if for some chance mag length doesn't perform well.

What's everyone running for mags? I did not realize the factory pmags are so limiting on COAL. I haven't ran any rounds through the new lri barrel and mag length may work great, but really narrows options for seating depths if for some chance mag length doesn't perform well.

I am running Magpul type AC magazines. (On a Gen 2 6.5CM) The single wide cartridge feed lips are very reliable plus the magazine will not hold the bolt open when the magazine is empty.
I have 5 round and 10 rounds for bench and hunting, No issues encountered with either. The mags that came with it have the staggered feed lips and hold the bolt open, thereby preventing a through the port feed of singles. A major issue for me at least..

With the alpha mags it appears you need the type 1? My type 2s I use in my Grayboe dbm do not fit the magwell of the RPR.

Had a killer day out at 1000. Conditions totally still and ideal. I've got 1815 rounds through this rifle now with no noticeable decrease in accuracy

Hey All,

Just placed an order for an RPR in 5.56 to be my range beater bolt gun. I've got a Nightforce NXS F1 3-15x50 sitting in the safe that came off of a rifle I parted out last year.

I'm looking to pick up a Spuhr for this optic/rifle combo and wondered if the 3006 (1.35") would work on the RPR or should I be getting a 3002 (1.5").

The only rings I have right now in the parts bin are all LOW rings and a random beat up LaRue LT104.

Would anyone suggest the Magul PRS gen 3 for the RPR over the stock? I'm considering it because it seems like it would be more friendly to using a rear bag. I'm a rather large fellow so I'm sorta hoping it gives it a bit more space. Any users here?

It's what I use. It's way better than the factory stock.

IMG_0908.JPG

Hey All,

Just placed an order for an RPR in 5.56 to be my range beater bolt gun. I've got a Nightforce NXS F1 3-15x50 sitting in the safe that came off of a rifle I parted out last year.

I'm looking to pick up a Spuhr for this optic/rifle combo and wondered if the 3006 (1.35") would work on the RPR or should I be getting a 3002 (1.5").

The only rings I have right now in the parts bin are all LOW rings and a random beat up LaRue LT104.

this is the ideal height for a 50mm obj. I can't say whether it's ideal if you were to go with a seekins guard and full length pic rail, however with the gen 2 handguard it's perfect.

Chef, definitely go with the PRS. My gen 3 is arriving today to replace my current gen 3 in OD green. Who knew magpul had such a shit color that nobody can match cheaply.