• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I live in Washington State and I got to shoot to 600yds. I visited my family in Utah and I got to a 1000yds. Three Mile Creek Range. I am a happy camper. O

Last edited:
Reactions: ReaperSix
This was my photo.

Attachments

• photo68415.jpg
    photo68415.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 62
I have the SPUHR SP-4006 on my 6mm creedmoor, it has a height of 1.35" seems to work just fine for me.

Attachments

• photo68450.jpg
    photo68450.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 73
  • photo68451.jpg
    photo68451.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 83
  • photo68452.jpg
    photo68452.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 90
I live in Washington State and I got to shoot to 600yds. I visited my family in Utah and I got to a 1000yds. Three Mile Creek Range. I am a happy camper. O

First time a 1000 is so awesome. Glad it performed well for you

Reactions: Burnbio
I'm getting a vortex razor HD gen II scope for my precision gen2. What rings do you guys recommend.

I really like the Burris PEPR one piece mount. Easy to remove and store the scope, perfect re-alignment when you put it back on.
The (6) screws per cap torqued to 18"# is really easy on the scope tube and the wide rings will never leave a mark on the tube.

RANGE REPORT.

Made it out to BOTW in Liberty Hill this morning with the RPR 6.5 Gen-II.
Handload is new Starline brass, CCI#200 primer, 42.0gr of H4350, Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullet loaded .015 off the rifling. Benched with Magnetospeed at 2733 fps (avg) with SD=6.
Scope is Vortex Viper PST 6-24 50MM, MIL FFP with EBR2C reticle set in Burris PEPR mount. ZEROED at 100 yards.
79 degrees, dead calm at the bench, weeds at 250-1000 yards gently blowing in multiple directions.

WARMUP - 250 yards, elevation U 0.7 mrd - 5 of 5 center of plate.
500 yards, elevation U 2.6 mrd - #1 on left side of plate, doped R 0.1, next 4 center of plate. Looks like about 3-4" group.
600 yards, elevation U 3.5 mrd - 5 on plate slightly to left of center of plate, about a 4" group. (as observed through scope and ranged by reticle)
750 yards, elevation U 5.1 mrd -#1 on left side of plate, doped R to a total of R 0.2), next 4 in group center of plate, about a 6" group as best I could tell, details are getting fuzzy at this distance.
1000 yards, elevation U 8.1 mrd - #1 on left side of plate, doped the wrong way, (senior moment no doubt) #2 off the plate to the left, doped back right to a total of R .04, shot #3 went off plate to the right. (too much dope, another senior moment), fixed that to a total of R .03 and put #4 - #20 on the plate, beat as much paint off the plate as I could, The barrel got hot enough that the light coat of oil I had wiped it with evaporated, left it looking kinda chalky.

I use Ballistic ARC on an Android phone with a weatherflow BT meter, and the scope dopes it generated for this round were perfect, I did not change a single elevation from the chart.
This is an EXCELLENT and inexpensive app for a phone that works. The GPS mapping function takes all of the work out of the ballistics, I highly recommend this product fo anyone that can't afford the higher end software,

I don't know why having this much fun is not illegal, but I'm glad it's not. I spent the rest of my 100 rounds I brought with me shooting up and down the range, using the info I had gained on my way up. The wind started getting up and pushing a few off target, but that made it even more fun.

Happy shooting! If you don't have an RPR - GET ONE!

Reactions: Panotaker
Kind of a equipment question but it relates the RPR.

what are you guys doing for soft cases? I'm deciding between a Midway rifle case/ shooting mat combo or a real simple case and dedicated mat, most likely the triad tactical mat.

Heres the case/mat combo I was looking at.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/182067/midwayusa-pro-series-shooting-mat-tactical-rifle-case

My only restriction is case length. Case can't be over 46" otherwise it won't fit in the trunk. The rifle is about 44" long so and I'm ok with folding he rifle but it's hard to tell online which case are thick enough to fit a folded rifle.

what are you guys doing for soft cases? I'm deciding between a Midway rifle case/ shooting mat combo or a real simple case and dedicated mat, most likely the triad tactical mat.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/182067/midwayusa-pro-series-shooting-mat-tactical-rifle-case

My only restriction is case length. Case can't be over 46" otherwise it won't fit in the trunk. The rifle is about 44" long so and I'm ok with folding he rifle but it's hard to tell online which case are thick enough to fit a folded rifle.

When I am taking only the RPR, I use an AR bag, rifle folded. That would meet your length restriction nicely.
I use one from Midway, priced right and good quality. It balances perfectly with my range bag in the other hand!

20170820_124113.jpg20170820_124047.jpg

Nice work Griz! Speedy little rounds. I come up about 11.5 mrd for 1000 using 190 SMK

^ Yeah with the 20" and heavier bullet I'm nowhere near that. I think I'm at about 2550.

JRM,

With the heavier bullets I tried I have never ran into an issue with being too long for the Mag. I measured the mag and you should be able to load out to 2.870 for a max cartridge overall. None of my loads get close to that even as close as .005 off the rifling. I tried a few other light bullets that did not shoot well that had to be loaded shorter to to get a full diameter at seating depth, these being the Sierra #I715 (107gr HPBT) and the Sierra #1727 (123gr HPBT). These are both boat tails. The Sierra #I725 (120gr prohunter) is a flat base so you get better seating depth and they are fairly accurate as well, they are a soft point hunting round. I found the best accuracy at .020 - .015 off the rifling with the Hornady #2635 (143gr ELD-X) and the Sierra #1725 (130gr Gameking). Oddly enough, both of these are sold as hunting bullets, and they shoot better for me at all ranges out to 1,000 yards than the match grade loadings I have tried.

The same Magpul AC series mags also run very nicely in my other long range gun, a reworked R700 (.308) sitting in a Masterpiece Arms chassis. That makes it nice because I only need to carry one type of mag, and it fits/runs perfectly in both guns.

I shoot my first "fun" long range match this weekend with the RPR. Ended up ordering myself a PRS stock and have a viper pst first gen mil coming in the mail that I got for 620. Both will be here tomorrow and I'll be able to zero it before the match Saturday. I'm excited because other than the stock I don't have any desire to change anything else on this gun. Any of you guys have suggestions for a newbie heading to his first match?

Thanks for that great explanation Griz. I ordered one to see how they perform.

I'm really enJoying my RPR in 6CM at the range but I'd love to be able to use it for long range varmint shooting. I'm not currently setup for reloading but since nobody is making lighter varmint loads this might be the motivation I need.

Would the fast twist of the RPR work well with the lighter varmint bullets?

I almost wish I would have bought the .243 version.....

Last edited:
I'm really enJoying my RPR in 6CM at the range but I'd love to be able to use it for long range varmint shooting. I'm not currently setup for reloading but since nobody is making lighter varmint loads this might be the motivation I need.

Would the fast twist of the RPR work well with the lighter varmint bullets?

I almost wish I would have bought the .243 version.....

You will be just fine.

I shoot my first "fun" long range match this weekend with the RPR. Ended up ordering myself a PRS stock and have a viper pst first gen mil coming in the mail that I got for 620. Both will be here tomorrow and I'll be able to zero it before the match Saturday. I'm excited because other than the stock I don't have any desire to change anything else on this gun. Any of you guys have suggestions for a newbie heading to his first match?

Have your tools and be prepared. Remember where the marker goes for each score, as sometimes it's not written on the backer. Have a place for everything, and everything in its place, as pit changes during a match can sometimes be kind of, rushed along, which is why I'll also add up the score after each shot, instead of waiting to add the entire relay. Think slow and don't be overwhelmed. Most important, HAVE FUN!

Lefty!

I liked the looks of the Sinclair, so I bit the bullet and ordered one. I ordered the rail adapter block that replaces the stud mount because I did not want to change the mount on my rifles, makes it hard to shoot over a bag or put a bench slide on it for bench rest. Sinclair/Brownells has been very frustrating to deal with. The order showed up after a full week, with the $39.99 adapter missing from the box. After sending emails to the address noted on the invoice three days in a row, I received NO responses. The phone call faired no better, on hold for 35 minutes, finally gave up. I did get a help chat response tonight. They had no record of the emails of course. The response I got from that was, "I will let them know tomorrow, someone will get back to you in a few days." This will probably be the last thing I ever order from Brownells. The BIPOD is really nice, too bad I can't use it without the adapter.

^ Glad you like the bipod Griz. You're the second person now who after seeing mine said they purchased it. The wide footprint is super steady on any surface, making your groups a little more consistent. I think you'll be happy with it in the field. Sorry to hear about your troubles with Brownells though. I'm surprised about that. They're usually really good to deal with. I always order parts through them or Midway. However, At this point I'd be pissed enough to just dispute the transaction on my credit card and go elsewhere. You can purchase the adapter right from Sinclair. The stud mount works well, but I like the rail adapter better. The stud mount is a bit flat for our round handgaurds and therefore doesn't mount quite as securely as the rail. Let me know how it works out!

^ Glad you like the bipod Griz. You're the second person now who after seeing mine said they purchased it. The wide footprint is super steady on any surface, making your groups a little more consistent. I think you'll be happy with it in the field. Sorry to hear about your troubles with Brownells though. I'm surprised about that. They're usually really good to deal with. I always order parts through them or Midway. However, At this point I'd be pissed enough to just dispute the transaction on my credit card and go elsewhere. You can purchase the adapter right from Sinclair. The stud mount works well, but I like the rail adapter better. The stud mount is a bit flat for our round handgaurds and therefore doesn't mount quite as securely as the rail. Let me know how it works out!

I DID order through Sinclair, and Brownells shipped it. I finally received a response today. Jodi at Brownells intercepted the messages after they started getting hateful. She shipped on an overnight today, we will see if it gets here tomorrow. The whole point was to have it set up for 1K on Saturday, so we will wait until tomorrow and see. Maybe I was just a victim of a full moon or something. I got pretty hot about being ignored.
Mentioning Midway, about a year ago, I placed a pretty big order to them and on that order was a brass Montana jag. It was not in the box, so I dropped a note to Midway about 7PM that night. About 30 minutes later I received a shipping notice, overnight delivery for a three dollar part. Those folks have a lifetime customer here. There are none better than Jerry and the gang!

Reactions: Burnbio
^ Well we did just have a solar eclipse lol. I'm glad they at least FINALLY helped you. Hopefully you'll get it before the match. Midway is awesome. There have been a few times I've got a shipping notice literally 5 minutes after placing an order. Oh one more tip about that bipod. There's some forward and backward play in the legs you've probably noticed. Some say they, not quite load the bipod, but just give it just a slight bit of forward pressure to use up that slack. I personally have found I do not need to do this. Whether it be bench, prone, or any other type of shooting and surface, it hasn't effected me at all.

[video]https://www.midwayusa.com/product/182067/midwayusa-pro-series-shooting-mat-tactical-rifle-case[/video]

The only thing I would mention about storing it folded is that for me to get my eye relief correct on my scopes, the scope extends past the hinge-point on the stock. Meaning, when folded, the scope stands proud of the folded stock, and could possibly be damaged if you're not careful. Does anyone else's scope stick out further than the folded stock?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Crap I completely didn't think of that. (Still saving towards good glass). Thanks for the input

I only scanned the last few pages of this thread to see if anyone had mentioned the current issue of World of Firepower so if this is a rehash, sorry.

https://engagedmediamags.com/outdoo...ower/World-of-Firepower-SeptemberOctober-2017

They customize two 6.5CM RPR's and compare 100 yard 3-shot groups for a bunch of factory ammo. One is fitted with a Proof CF 24" 1/8 and the other with an LRI 24" 1/8. The Proof shot better with more of the ammo tested but to me, it was basically a draw. The Proof shot a 0.149 with the Nosler ammo and the LRI shot a 0.150 with Hornady ELDM (IIRC). To me, those are identical. There's not much detail about how they conducted the comparison and the devil is in the details but regardless, they got ~0.15 with both rifles shooting factory ammo and considering the investment, that's excellent.

I only scanned the last few pages of this thread to see if anyone had mentioned the current issue of World of Firepower so if this is a rehash, sorry.

https://engagedmediamags.com/outdoo...ower/World-of-Firepower-SeptemberOctober-2017

They customize two 6.5CM RPR's and compare 100 yard 3-shot groups for a bunch of factory ammo. One is fitted with a Proof CF 24" 1/8 and the other with an LRI 24" 1/8. The Proof shot better with more of the ammo tested but to me, it was basically a draw. The Proof shot a 0.149 with the Nosler ammo and the LRI shot a 0.150 with Hornady ELDM (IIRC). To me, those are identical. There's not much detail about how they conducted the comparison and the devil is in the details but regardless, they got ~0.15 with both rifles shooting factory ammo and considering the investment, that's excellent.

the real difference in the Proof bbl is the weight savings. anything you can do to lighten this tank is a good idea, but at 800 bucks it may not be. for a GAP or something in that range, it is.

My first range trip today with my LRI barreled RPR and I'm impressed. I'll have another trip to confirm but 42gr h4350 under a 140 ELDM and FGMM primer is looking promising. I've changed the stock and got a new magazine enroute, about my only bitch is the bolt texture. It's almost zipper like.

the real difference in the Proof bbl is the weight savings.

I can see watching weight on a hunting rifle. I rarely carry my LR guns more than 50 yards and I like them heavy. If I was competing I'd look for a happy medium, but I'm not. The article claims the CF barrel cools down "a lot faster" but didn't show any data. This is consistent with Frank's posts here.

I can see watching weight on a hunting rifle. I rarely carry my LR guns more than 50 yards and I like them heavy. If I was competing I'd look for a happy medium, but I'm not. The article claims the CF barrel cools down "a lot faster" but didn't show any data. This is consistent with Frank's posts here.

I can buy that as well.

My first range trip today with my LRI barreled RPR and I'm impressed. I'll have another trip to confirm but 42gr h4350 under a 140 ELDM and FGMM primer is looking promising. I've changed the stock and got a new magazine enroute, about my only bitch is the bolt texture. It's almost zipper like.

A lot of folks mention or complain about the "zipper" sound from the bolt. It stems from the rough machining of the bolt itself. There have been a couple of ways to remedy this. One is to shoot it until the bolt smooths out, two is to polish the bolt to remove the rough machining and three (what I did) is to have the bolt "Micro Slicked". This is a Cerakote dry film coating that smooths and protects the bolt (some have complained of rusting of the bolt also). Zephyr Defense were the folks that did mine and you should be able to find them on the internet. I also had my bolt handle done at the same time so it matched the color of the bolt. I'm not sure what colors are available but I had mine done in black.

What is the best method for removing the bolt knob to replace with an aftermarket? Vice grip and allen wrench?

The only thing I would mention about storing it folded is that for me to get my eye relief correct on my scopes, the scope extends past the hinge-point on the stock. Meaning, when folded, the scope stands proud of the folded stock, and could possibly be damaged if you're not careful. Does anyone else's scope stick out further than the folded stock?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Folded, yes it does. I don't have an issue with that, I am pretty gentle on my rifles even in the padded bags. When I am hauling more than one, I have a large 2 slot drag bag so they don't get folded.

Here's a question for you RPR scholars. I just bought a Gen 2 6.5 creedmoor. Running the bolt I noticed an issue. When the bolt handle passes the rear of the action, where the hinge assembly meets the action, there is a narrow spot. Moving the bolt to the front or rear takes extra force because the handle is essentially pinched. Its worn the finish off the base of the bolt handle. If I run the bolt as fast as I can it passes through with less extra effort but it's still noticeable. Slow manipulation and it takes considerably more work. I'll take a picture when I get a moment. Anyone had an issue like this?

Here's a question for you RPR scholars. I just bought a Gen 2 6.5 creedmoor. Running the bolt I noticed an issue. When the bolt handle passes the rear of the action, where the hinge assembly meets the action, there is a narrow spot. Moving the bolt to the front or rear takes extra force because the handle is essentially pinched. Its worn the finish off the base of the bolt handle. If I run the bolt as fast as I can it passes through with less extra effort but it's still noticeable. Slow manipulation and it takes considerably more work. I'll take a picture when I get a moment. Anyone had an issue like this?

Have not experienced that issue.

^ Well we did just have a solar eclipse lol. I'm glad they at least FINALLY helped you. Hopefully you'll get it before the match. Midway is awesome. There have been a few times I've got a shipping notice literally 5 minutes after placing an order. Oh one more tip about that bipod. There's some forward and backward play in the legs you've probably noticed. Some say they, not quite load the bipod, but just give it just a slight bit of forward pressure to use up that slack. I personally have found I do not need to do this. Whether it be bench, prone, or any other type of shooting and surface, it hasn't effected me at all.

Finally got some decent weather and a morning off so out to the 1K we went. The Sinclair bipod is NICE. The range sets are scattered side to side up a long hill, so going from 250 to 500 is uphill, as is 500-600, 600-650, 650-750 and at the top is the 1,000. So to run the ladder, you need to constantly have to re-adjust the legs on the bipod. First set requires a shorter leg than normal, so I spread the legs to drop the barrel, Going to 500 meant taller, so I brought the legs back in and as I went on up the hill just extended the legs. Super simple, super quick. This is now my favorite bipod. I thank you Lefty, for posting the info on it. I like a little play in the legs, as long as it is horizontal and in-line with the bore. It helps with recoil absorption. With the adjust-ability of this this bipod, that is very easily accomplished.
I ran the ladder, five shots at each distance with no misses. After cleaning up at the plate at 1,000 yards, I decided to give the 3" a go. Ever try to hit a 3" hanging gong at 1,000 yards? I hit it on the third shot. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. LOL, the bipod is great. And to boot, a guy 4 benches down from me hit about 10 minutes later. Guess what he was shooting? An RPR chambered in 6.5CM. Gotta love these rifles, spot on at 1,000 yards with a factory gun.

^ Good to hear Griz! Glad you like it. I agree, best bipod I've ever had

So on the topic of bipods. I'm curious about buying a better bipod or if I should learn to shoot from a bag. Anyone have advice on that? Anyone prefer shooting from a bag over a bipod?

Really just depends on what you are doing. If I were going to be stationary and shooting at the same target at the same distance and the same elevation all day (like a benchrest match) I would go with a bag or a fixed front rest. Where you shoot at multiple targets that require multiple heights on the rifle, a bipod is the most flexible for quick configuration and setup. They are also nice when hunting, less bulk to haul and quick setup on any terrain or condition.

I choose a bipod for three reasons. They add weight to the rifle, most are small and much more portable, and they "lock" my cant (I don't shoot with loose cant). Just my personal preference.

^ I like more weight for my purposes. Mostly f class. To each his own