• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I have one on the way. The 20 MOA rails are 2 weeks out from shipping. My factory base is canted untrue from the bore. Found out after using a spuhr ISMS on my AXMC and moved the scope to my RPR and realized the Reticle was off. Something to check on your RPRs!

That's something I havent thought about. I think something is off about mine.

My RPR barrel has almost 1200 rounds through it. I want to place an order now since the wait with some makers is at least couple of months. I was looking a a Patriot Valley barrel or Krieger. Anyone shooing one of these barrels? What are your thoughts?

I just put a Krieger on mine and love it....
I got a 26" bull with a 7.5 twist off the shelf because I didn't want to wait months for it...

Had one thing to adapt too that I didn't like at first...but like it better after I found mags I could fit 2.85 in...

Reactions: 6gunner
My Gen II 6mm Creedmoor RPR shoots 1/2 minute with Hornady 108gr ELD-M’s. I made several upgrades to the rifle but it’s still the factory tube. Pic is 10 shots, with first shot cold bore, and 9 rounds all touching at 100 yards.

Attachments

• CAE013FD-4695-4C85-9F15-9B3033DF6E18.jpeg
    CAE013FD-4695-4C85-9F15-9B3033DF6E18.jpeg
    562.8 KB · Views: 82
What’s goin on with yours?

I have a pic bubble that hangs off the side to level the rifle. Then I have a separate bubble that I can sit on top of the turret. When I level everything out, my eye sees the reticle being off by maybe a hair. I have yet to take it somewhere that I can reference the reticle against to make sure its level.

I'm going to pick up a Knights Armament level and see if that is any better.

I have a pic bubble that hangs off the side to level the rifle. Then I have a separate bubble that I can sit on top of the turret. When I level everything out, my eye sees the reticle being off by maybe a hair. I have yet to take it somewhere that I can reference the reticle against to make sure its level.

I'm going to pick up a Knights Armament level and see if that is any better.
The only true way to tell is to level the Reticle to plumb line and then go with it. I’ve got the anarchy outdoors 20 moa scope base awaiting shipment. Hoping it’s higher quality.

The only true way to tell is to level the Reticle to plumb line and then go with it. I’ve got the anarchy outdoors 20 moa scope base awaiting shipment. Hoping it’s higher quality.

I just received my ambidextrous safety switch and custom engraved titanium shroud from them. Great customer service and they shipped fast. I was eyeballing that same rail with the bubble but I'm more inclined to buy that add on bubble level and sit it right under my scope.

Gamedic your better off with the level set up under the scope. I bought a Vortex level that mounts on my Razor. I can’t see it when I’m looking through the scope. I have to move my head out to see it. I noticed this at my first match last week when I had to shoot of a large tractor tire. I laid down with my rifle stretched across the tire. The shot was over 500 yds and I couldn’t see the level. I was shooting at a KYL rack. I hit the first three but missed the last two both times through. After shooting I got up and seen my level was pegged to the right. I got to rethink this...

Reactions: GA_medic
Gamedic your better off with the level set up under the scope. I bought a Vortex level that mounts on my Razor. I can’t see it when I’m looking through the scope. I have to move my head out to see it. I noticed this at my first match last week when I had to shoot of a large tractor tire. I laid down with my rifle stretched across the tire. The shot was over 500 yds and I couldn’t see the level. I was shooting at a KYL rack. I hit the first three but missed the last two both times through. After shooting I got up and seen my level was pegged to the right. I got to rethink this...

That's what I was thinking as well. The level I put on my turret is just a simple level that I set on the scope to make sure everything is balanced and then take it off.

I have the same issue and just started practicing to keep the butt pad in my shoulder at the same angle to keep the rifle uncanted. This way I don’t have to rely on a level. You could look into a Spuhr Mount, a Send It LED level, or the new AO base rail with level. I use a Spuhr Mount so it has the included level in the mount.

Today took some pics of my 223 of the gun and mag. The front top of the mags are touching the bottom of the barrel?

That is why it is so hard to sit the mags. I thought may be the gun is out of spec but then I look at my RPR 6.5 it sticks up into the mag well just the same.

So are the mags out of spec? If I Dremel off a bit off the lip they should be fine? But what if I use steel mags? It is much harder to remove material, and it might not be a good idea? So who makes a good steel mag for this? I think it is AICS style?

I am trying to see whether I can just do some Dremel work or send it back.
IMG_20190202_220927_1.jpg
IMG_20190202_221309.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone needs a factory trigger, aluminum bolt shroud, or muzzle break I have them and will be happy to ship them out free of charge.

If anyone needs a factory trigger, aluminum bolt shroud, or muzzle break I have them and will be happy to ship them out free of charge.

I just kept mine for a backup, especially the trigger. They don’t take up much space in the range bag when I go to a comp

Yesterday I bought a brick of Federal Gold Medal 210 Match primers. I loaded up a five pack of Berger 105 VLD target, 42 grain of H4350, GM210M with Hornady neck sized only brass. This combo shot really good at 400 yards. I was calling this load my match load. According to BallisticsARC and my scope dial the load is around 3000 FPS.
good group!
Yesterday I had bought a box of Hornady 105 HPBT Match bullets to try due to cost vs the Bergers. About 13-15 dollars a box cheaper. I figured these to be my practice ammo if they worked out.
So today I loaded up five Hornady 105 BTHP, 42 grains of H4350, GM 210M and neck sized Hornady brass. I shot them at 400 yds. I figured 3000 FPS. I took a photo of the group. Aiming at the white dot. It appears they are a little faster than 3000 FPS with 1.5 on my scope.
I think I just found me a new bullet. I also believe the Federal GM210m primers are the go to primer for this combo.

Attachments

• 9CC40CC5-59A8-48BB-9CC5-DE7A73AB1C07.jpeg
    9CC40CC5-59A8-48BB-9CC5-DE7A73AB1C07.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 107CF9B1-A408-4311-85E3-9921435F846F.jpeg
    107CF9B1-A408-4311-85E3-9921435F846F.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 70
If that's the best you can do at 400 yrds...you are gonna have to tighten up or you're off the team...

Nice work....looks like you may have found your go to....looks good

Reactions: Netman8718
Yesterday I bought a brick of Federal Gold Medal 210 Match primers. I loaded up a five pack of Berger 105 VLD target, 42 grain of H4350, GM210M with Hornady neck sized only brass. This combo shot really good at 400 yards. I was calling this load my match load. According to BallisticsARC and my scope dial the load is around 3000 FPS.
good group!
Yesterday I had bought a box of Hornady 105 HPBT Match bullets to try due to cost vs the Bergers. About 13-15 dollars a box cheaper. I figured these to be my practice ammo if they worked out.
So today I loaded up five Hornady 105 BTHP, 42 grains of H4350, GM 210M and neck sized Hornady brass. I shot them at 400 yds. I figured 3000 FPS. I took a photo of the group. Aiming at the white dot. It appears they are a little faster than 3000 FPS with 1.5 on my scope.
I think I just found me a new bullet. I also believe the Federal GM210m primers are the go to primer for this combo.

I too use railroad plates for metal targets.

I live in coal mine country. The iron plates use to be laying everywhere but the scrap metal prices a few years ago dissolved the supply. I’ve got a few extras and know where a few more are.

Reactions: 10ring1
The recyclers around here stopped taking them because people we're showing up with truckloads and the railroad was claiming it was theft. They do hold up well...

Gonna be pretty while collecting dust sitting in this box waiting for the new barrel. Only want to disassemble the rifle once. Also need to order an MLOK pic rail for when the new bipod comes in.

The last two parts left to order before this build will be done are the Atlas bipod and Krieger barrel. Once everything is in, I'll disassemble it, send parts for Cerakote, and when everything is done final assembly will happen.

Reactions: Netman8718
Decided to get creative and make a cheek pad from foam sheets. I'll know how v1.0 goes Wednesday.

Cool. Post a pic. I always use the soft side of the adhesive-backed Velcro. It can get cold enough here in upstate NY that your cheek freezes to the riser!

Has anyone mounted a MK5 5-25x56 on a 6mm Creedmoor? I'm looking at the Vortex/ Seekins rings and would like to go as low as possible, but I don't think the .95's will work.

Has anyone mounted a MK5 5-25x56 on a 6mm Creedmoor? I'm looking at the Vortex/ Seekins rings and would like to go as low as possible, but I don't think the .95's will work.

I don’t think .95 rings will work with a 56mm objective. I personally went with a 1.5 in. mount for a 50 mm objective so I wouldn’t have to smash my face on the cheek rest to get a proper eye alignment. You can probably get away with using 1.26 in. rings without using lens covers. Most people I’ve talked with that have 56mm optics are using 1.5 in. rings/mount on their RPR. Hope this helps you out. My buddy uses a 1.5 in. spuhr on his RPR with a 56mm Bushnell.

Reactions: britneymadz
My Area 419 ARCA rail arrived a short time ago. Got it mounted to the stock forearm effortlessly. Thought I would take a few pictures for all to see. Got my Harris bipod on the way. I’ll order the ARCA slide to marry the two next week.

Attachments

• 524A38AF-DA9C-472F-86E9-DB4F09913F74.jpeg
    524A38AF-DA9C-472F-86E9-DB4F09913F74.jpeg
    649.7 KB · Views: 123
  • A6B4BC08-E77F-4053-A563-1379E0CC8FD7.jpeg
    A6B4BC08-E77F-4053-A563-1379E0CC8FD7.jpeg
    662.8 KB · Views: 127
  • BE20CEB1-2727-499E-BD1B-6B19D71015E8.jpeg
    BE20CEB1-2727-499E-BD1B-6B19D71015E8.jpeg
    540.4 KB · Views: 124
For you guys interested in a Timney trigger dvor.com has the curved trigger on sale for $159.

/\/\/\ All sold out

I’ve never had good luck with dvor. I think anarchy outdoors has a post super bowl sale going on for 12% off anything in their store. Very helpful people and great customer service. My first 2 upgrades to my RPR were a 2 stage timney flat shoe trigger and a 40 moa rail from AO.

Reactions: theaoguy
I’ve never had good luck with dvor. I think anarchy outdoors has a post super bowl sale going on for 12% off anything in their store. Very helpful people and great customer service. My first 2 upgrades to my RPR were a 2 stage timney flat shoe trigger and a 40 moa rail from AO.
????

Reactions: theaoguy
I went with the Mark 4 Super High rings on my RPR with the Mark 5HD. Plenty of room with caps.

Attachments

• rpr1.JPG
    rpr1.JPG
    420 KB · Views: 122
All you guys that want to use the lowest rings need to keep in mind the stock on the RPR is almost the same plane as the rail. Going low can means you have no comb adjustment.

I went with the 308 mine only had the 20 in barrel option 1/10 twist to start its cheap fun and great to learn with and at the time was under 1k hoping something 6.5 is next its hard to say so many choices ....or if i start reloading 260 rem.

I went with the 308 mine only had the 20 in barrel option 1/10 twist to start its cheap fun and great to learn with and at the time was under 1k hoping something 6.5 is next its hard to say so many choices ....or if i start reloading 260 rem.

This is a great way to start. I started out with a rem 700 in .308. After a couple years I bought a RPR in 6.5. Now I’m building on a custom action with changeable calibers. I highly recommend a 6mm variant, whether it be a 6.5 creed or a 6mm creed. When I burn out my RPR 6.5 I’ll probably rebarrel to a 6mm creed. Have fun with that .308. I still love to shoot mine.

Has anyone heard of a premium barrel manufacturer (e.g. bartlein, kreiger, etc,) that's making barrels for the RPR Magnum version?

Reactions: Brent B