• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Oh I meant I'd of bought the bag rider from you! Yea 50 still is a little salty, but ti seemed to be in price with other offerings with shipping. I love it though worth the dough.

Will chck out the Ruger cheek pad.
Sorry, my response wasn’t very clear. I meant the bag rider was spendy, but the machines they use for that are extremely expensive and they print really high quality stuff, so I guess that makes sense.

Reactions: matt@catalystarms
Vortex Viper 5-25
Timney 2 Stage
Altas Bipod
Thunder Chicken in Coletac Python
IMG_20190908_192919151_HDR.jpg

My latest group shooting.
View media item 1685
View media item 254I'll have to retry the DTACs. I don't have an answer for the low shot. I can normally call it when I pull a shot. It may have been something with the load. I was testing eight different heavy bullets about .020 off the lands with S&B primers to see if one bullet stood out as a potential over the rest. I'll retry with CCIs and different seating depths. The S&B primers are too tight to the pockets. I'll probably reserve them for when the pockets start to open up.

Reactions: LongRangeLefty
This happened Saturday in the middle of a match. Sending the whole rifle to ruger for warranty repair. 1100 rounds and 7 matches in....

Attachments

• 20191007_070626.jpg
    20191007_070626.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 178
This happened Saturday in the middle of a match. Sending the whole rifle to ruger for warranty repair. 1100 rounds and 7 matches in....
Unfortunately that is a common issue with the RPR. Mine broke too. Anarchy Outdoors sells an aftermarket one now that is much stronger. Also, when I talked to Ruger I convinced them to let me only send them the bolt which was much more convenient. If you have aftermarket items on your rifle I have heard they will replace them with factory parts, which is why I convinced them to let me only send the bolt. It would probably be best to just order one from Anarchy Outdoors.

Unfortunately that is a common issue with the RPR. Mine broke too. Anarchy Outdoors sells an aftermarket one now that is much stronger. Also, when I talked to Ruger I convinced them to let me only send them the bolt which was much more convenient. If you have aftermarket items on your rifle I have heard they will replace them with factory parts, which is why I convinced them to let me only send the bolt. It would probably be best to just order one from Anarchy Outdoors.
This is a much better option! Thanks for heads up man! I didn't even think to check them.

Maybe I'm not looking at the billet cocking piece correctly but it looks like it will only utilize 1 caming surface instead of 2.

Installed one of my American Predator (same bolt) tonight. I does ride on 2 caming surfaces and is notably smoother and easier to cock than the stock piece.

Installed one of my American Predator (same bolt) tonight. I does ride on 2 caming surfaces and is notably smoother and easier to cock than the stock piece.
Thanks for the info. Just got on AD arms sight and you could definately see it better. Also after a really bad CS issue with anarchy it's good to know I can buy it direct from AD Arms.

For anyone who has an interest in a soft case which doesn't require any break down at the range I have had this Cabelas for awhile now and I love it. RPR 6.5 with 24" barrel and have an 8" can on the end and it closes just perfectly, no stress on case or zippers and I can easily leave the bolt in. Conversely if you feel some need to fold it or have a can longer than 8" the case will accommodate the RPR folded as well with bolt in. Sturdy zippers too.

For anyone who has an interest in a soft case which doesn't require any break down at the range I have had this Cabelas for awhile now and I love it. RPR 6.5 with 24" barrel and have an 8" can on the end and it closes just perfectly, no stress on case or zippers and I can easily leave the bolt in. Conversely if you feel some need to fold it or have a can longer than 8" the case will accommodate the RPR folded as well with bolt in. Sturdy zippers too.

Thanks for that! Just placed my order.

Thanks for that! Just placed my order.
I think you will be pleased with the quality of the seams, zippers as well....very well done compared to many of the soft cases sold today. Plus the Cabela's warranty is gold my dad and I have both used it on rain jackets and bibs easy peezey.

Last edited:

I had the same thing happen on mine. It happened after about my third shot of the day, but still shot another 50 shots after it broke.

Called Ruger and they sent me a new piece in less than three days. Not terribly difficult to install. Took me about 15 minutes. All you need is a vise, small punch and a hammer to get the roll pin out. A gunsmith could probably do it in five minutes. I wouldnt send the whole rifle back for this repair, especially if it wont be back for 4-6 weeks.

Looks perfect! Even with the bolt out, my current bag is literally bursting at the seams from stuffing my RPR into it. So, this was good timing. Price is decent, too, I think.
Yea it's amazing even with bolt in and folded there is zero resistance with zipper closure. Plus there room for even the tallest scope setups. That's an XTR II 5-25 on XTR Signature tall rings

I've got one of these too. You can also lock it closed if you need to. It works well.

I’ve always used adhesive Velcro and stuck the soft side to the cheek piece. Usually costs under $5
that is actually a really good idea. I haven't done anything yet because I haven't had an issue with the cheek piece, maybe its my beard that is helping.

that is actually a really good idea. I haven't done anything yet because I haven't had an issue with the cheek piece, maybe its my beard that is helping.

Thanks. Thought of it when I was shooting in the dead of winter and my face was freezing to the paint on the stock!

Reactions: cgobeli
8pointer got it today thanks great piece going shooting tomorrow
Awesome I think you will enjoy it. I'm going shooting today as well breaking out the chrono, overcast, cooler and I can't wait!

For those of you 6.5 CM RPR owners looking to load up Berger 130gr Hybrids pushed by RL-16:

Factory barrel gen 3 RPR, 24" 6.5 CM
130gr Berger AR Hybrids
Starline brass
Wolff standard LR primers
2.800" OAL (.050" jump)
43.0gr RL-16
2860fps
Single digit SDs

0.4 MOA in heavy mirage at 100 yards. I tried up to 43.6gr hoping to close in on 2900fps, but SDs opened up. 42.7gr, 43.0gr, and 43.3gr charges all had single digit SDs and similar group sizes. No pressure signs anywhere. I just decided to stay conservative at 43.0gr and just enjoy the brass and barrel life.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
Anyone have a RPR specific 6.5 bore guide they could suggest? Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone have a RPR specific 6.5 bore guide they could suggest? Thanks

I have this one for my .308 RPR. It’s really nice. Just scroll to choose 6 or 6.5 CM RPR

So which one are you using on the 6.5 RPR? The chart doesn't specify.....is it cross referenced from another make/model to fit RPR?

Read up and see my post above. The Creedmoor Sports bore guides are sweet and specific to the RPR

I have the Gen1 RPR with the rounded handguard. Without changing the handguard, what can I do to prevent "roll" in my front rest? I'm looking for a relatively cheap fix here - I have seen $50-75 "benchrest adapter" plates that connect to the handguard, but they seem very pricey for what they are. Any budget-friendly options?

I have the Gen1 RPR with the rounded handguard. Without changing the handguard, what can I do to prevent "roll" in my front rest? I'm looking for a relatively cheap fix here - I have seen $50-75 "benchrest adapter" plates that connect to the handguard, but they seem very pricey for what they are. Any budget-friendly options?
Get a good bipod

^ I have to agree. If you’re having problems with roll or cant, get a decent bipod that doesn’t have a lot of slack and where, if it has a cant feature, it’s lockable. Harris is known the rigidity in their bipods. Atlas is of course is another favorite. If you are in fact set on a more bench-type setup EGW has a good forend adaptor that will go well on a front rest with flat bag. You may also want a anti-cant bubble level

^ I have to agree. If you’re having problems with roll or cant, get a decent bipod that doesn’t have a lot of slack and where, if it has a cant feature, it’s lockable. Harris is known the rigidity in their bipods. Atlas is of course is another favorite. If you are in fact set on a more bench-type setup EGW has a good forend adaptor that will go well on a front rest with flat bag.
Not a Harris.

honestly though if a bipod is not what is wanted for a few bucks more you could swap the hand guard with the seekins.

So which one are you using on the 6.5 RPR? The chart doesn't specify.....is it cross referenced from another make/model to fit RPR?
Just give them a call they have one for the RPR that isn't listed in that chart.

I can print off a couple and ship them out to you guys. They’re $20 if that works for you

Unsolicited mini-review of Ricksmunn's bag rider:

I took out my .308 RPR this past weekend. I have been having stability issues with my Caldwell Deadshot (cheap) rear bag and the rear rail in my RPR - it wouldn't fit well in the groove and was very wobbly and unstable past 100 yards (the round front rail doesn't help either). I had to force the bag into weird positions to get the gun to the height and stability I wanted.

This is where Ricksmunn's angled bag rider comes into play. I attached it to my RPR - the tool-less attachment method is ingenious, by the way, it snaps into place and becomes rock solid but comes off easily with the right tool (9mm bullet). I then proceeded to shoot my best ever 5-rd group at 200 yards (0.42 MOA 5-shot group, 0.32 MOA 4-shot). Instead of squeezing the heck out of my non-squishable rear bag to get the adjustments I want, I let the angled rider do the work. I used the rear for windage aiming and slid the gun back and forth for elevation. Group below, I am far from the world's best shooter but for my reloads and budget setup I'm very happy with the results.

So if you're stubborn like me and don't want to change your rear bag to something more suitable for the RPR, check out an angled bag rider - it works really well.

200yd 308.jpg

Reactions: LongRangeLefty
Unsolicited mini-review of Ricksmunn's bag rider:

I took out my .308 RPR this past weekend. I have been having stability issues with my Caldwell Deadshot (cheap) rear bag and the rear rail in my RPR - it wouldn't fit well in the groove and was very wobbly and unstable past 100 yards (the round front rail doesn't help either). I had to force the bag into weird positions to get the gun to the height and stability I wanted.

This is where Ricksmunn's angled bag rider comes into play. I attached it to my RPR - the tool-less attachment method is ingenious, by the way, it snaps into place and becomes rock solid but comes off easily with the right tool (9mm bullet). I then proceeded to shoot my best ever 5-rd group at 200 yards (0.42 MOA 5-shot group, 0.32 MOA 4-shot). Instead of squeezing the heck out of my non-squishable rear bag to get the adjustments I want, I let the angled rider do the work. I used the rear for windage aiming and slid the gun back and forth for elevation. Group below, I am far from the world's best shooter but for my reloads and budget setup I'm very happy with the results.

So if you're stubborn like me and don't want to change your rear bag to something more suitable for the RPR, check out an angled bag rider - it works really well.

View attachment 7163809
Nice shooting! Glad the bag rider is working out for you. And thanks for the review! I've designed two other options now as well. I'll post them below.