• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Timney Trigger

Changed

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2012
    All,

I recently purchased and installed the new Timney Trigger for the RPR. I have to admit, I was somewhat underwhelmed by it, and the "Support" I received from Timney.

What strikes me as odd is that the trigger has an extreme amount of over travel. By extreme, I mean it is equal to, if not more than, the first stage alone. In addition to that, there is perceivable creep in the second stage as well.

I sent an email to Timney to ask if this could be adjusted out, but did not receive a response. I also attempted, unsuccessfully) to contact them via phone.

So here's the issue. The factory trigger was more like a three stage trigger, the blade, the creep, and the break. All of those were repeatable, and exactly the same each time. There was little to no over travel on the stock trigger, yet the Timney has a ton of over travel.

What sort of experience has everyone else had with them? Is this over travel adjustable?

Thanks!

I do not have the same issue with overtravel on the timney. Occasionally I'll feel creep on the second stage but don't notice the overtravel. That being said, the factory trigger has very little overtravel, less so than most triggers.

I like mine a lot. Pretty sure if they ever get back to you, they'll let you send it back to them and they'll fix you up.

So none of you have the over travel on yours? Man, I need to post an image or video of it. Its way worse than the factory trigger. Guess I got a bad apple. I'll make continued efforts to contact them.

Gents, I appreciate your responses.

So, After a week of trying, Timney gets back to me. They say that all RPR triggers have this over-travel, and it is not adjustable. I have to say, I was a bit surprised by the tone of the conversation. Frankly, I was insulted by the "Technical Adviser's" responses. After running the trigger for a while, I can whole heartedly recommend that end users purchase another trigger or stick with the stock trigger. Maybe this isn't a big deal to others. I just found it odd that "Precision Trigger" would have such unusual mechanics.

ETA: They did eventually offer to refund the cost of the trigger.

Reactions: Ash$$
    So, After a week of trying, Timney gets back to me. They say that all RPR triggers have this over-travel, and it is not adjustable. I have to say, I was a bit surprised by the tone of the conversation. Frankly, I was insulted by the "Technical Adviser's" responses. After running the trigger for a while, I can whole heartedly recommend that end users purchase another trigger or stick with the stock trigger. Maybe this isn't a big deal to others. I just found it odd that "Precision Trigger" would have such unusual mechanics.

ETA: They did eventually offer to refund the cost of the trigger.

I've been a fan of Timney but I went by their booth at SHOT and tried most of the two-stage triggers they had there. They were all creepy on the second stage. I asked the guy about it and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders. I'm definitely up in the air about them now.

I do not have one nor have I tried one, but from all the reviews I don't see the benefit over the stock trigger unless you have to have a two stage.

I had an email exchange with Timney tech support. They said the over travel was normal, and there was nothing that could be done about it. As a temp fix, I've added an over travel stop to the trigger guard. It works, but is not durable. I may drill and tap the trigger shoe for an over travel stop, but that is a project far down the list.

My Timney is proving to be a problem. First,, after installaton exactly according to directions, the trigger housing protruded about .050" too far ro the rear for installation of the handguard with the safety installed. Next day I call Timney, and they instruct me to loosen the two hex bolts next to the trigger hangar and pull the stock to the rear, which pills the trigger assembly to the rear as well; tricky, but do-able, but not easy. Those hex bolts were very tight on my rifle and required a great deal of care to loosen without breaking off the heads. I wanted to use the Seekins Ambi Safety, but it was binding. I spent an hour locating the area of
    binding against the front of the safety cutout (the anodized was wearing off) and carefully relieving the safety. It's 90% there, but not done yet. This trigger needs a slot instead of a hole for the reteaining bolt so the trigger assembly can be moved fore/aft to allow for this mismatch. Truthfully, between breaking the barrel nut attempting to change the barrel on my first RPR, and now the most troublesome installation of a "drop-in" trigger, I'm about done with the great Ruger Precision Rifle.

Edit: I think the rifle heard me. Disassembled the lower to try to finish the installation. Test fitting the parts, I noticed I was getting sear override when cocking the bolt, and it can only be cocked in the "fire" position. It wasn't so much a light bulb as a hunch at that point; I had assembled the safety with the bolt out of the action. This time placed the bolt in the action and then installed the safety with no other changes. Safety now works perfectly, with crisp detents; trigger is now what I expected it to be, with a clean first stage and not-quite (yet) break at about 3 lbs. Better yet, zero overtravel. Break, done. I'm guessing the trigger will improve as far as crispness with time, but aside from the additional effort to install it, I'm pleased with the final result. I have also talked with another RPR owner who has had similar problems on his and a friend's rifle, if I can't find where it has already been done, I'll post my pictures to maybe make somebody else's life easier.

Last edited:
    Regarding barrel nut issues, ruger over torques the rifles. I had similiar issue, ended up letting OEM sellling me replacement barrel to handle removal old, install new. Now I’ve been able to replace subsequent barrels Myself.
    I own 3 RPRs. 6.5 creed, 243 (replaced barrel 3 times, first done by OEM) and 556 that I had OEM rebarrel in 204 ruger. I agree that it’s a pain, but I highly recommend having smith, barrel manufacturer rebarrel it the fist time. Advise Them to torque to specs , and you’ll be good to go on your own after that.