• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

Held one Saturday. My buddy got one in for his shop and offered it to me first at cost.

They do look nice, but as someone mentioned earlier; they "feel" like a .22 and for that reason I passed. The bolt throw is a little choppy but not bad. The trigger is heavy like you'd expect but again, for a factory rifle, not bad. I like that they will take regular 10/22 mags and for someone just starting out on the rimfire road... "not bad." Ha!

The big downside when comparing it to a CZ is the inherent lack of aftermarket support and the very limited customization that will be available due to the design. Besides a barrel and a bolt knob, it doesn't look like much will be possible.

With that said, I am absolutely thrilled that Ruger made this move. It is doing to rimfire what it did for "Precision" centerfire with their RPR - it is creating interest and we need all the new blood we can get.

Reactions: LG65CM
Waiting for more rifles to hit the streets and see some more results but this should be a great trainer for an Ruger Precision rifle!

I'm anxious to see more reports also. Not going to order one just yet but if I come across one at a reasonable price I'm going to try it out.

I have been hoping to find one in a lgs in Centex area. So far no luck. Hopefully they start tricking in.

KyCo emailed today that they are back in stock. $389 & free shipping. My primary dealer says wholesale is $335 and the gun should go for around $375.

I got out to SHOT yesterday. I wanted to heft one before ordering. My initial thoughts are:
The buttstock and chassis while light feel very stiff and solid.
The buttstock adjustments were much quicker and easier than even the full size RPR.
Mag releases and inserts very smooth and the tapered magwell accepted a quick mag insertion without any effort at all.
The trigger is OK but will be much better once cleaned lubed and broken in with a few hundred cycles.
The hand guard looked and felt solid.
The balance was very front heavy and is understandable with probably 65% of the weight being the barrel. Once a bipod goes on it will be worse. Mounting a scope should counterbalance it a bit.

For an under $400 rifle it seems very functional. The real test will be if this thing with the right ammo can get anywhere close to 1-1.25moa. I just ordered one because....why not at that price. If nothing else it will be a great intro gun to get the grandkids shooting small. It may just be a pleasant surprise like it's big brother. Oh well now it's off to buy another scope that will cost 3 times what the rifle cost.

What I noticed is the zing sound while cycling the bolt is gone compared to the RAR's I've cycled in the past. That and it looks like the bolt is polished somewhat.

I liked the long bolt mod and how far it comes back which makes it feel kind of like a centerfire bolt.

Ruger did a good job it seems.

I have one on the way that will be here Thursday. I'll post my impressions on it once i get it set up as well as my results with ammo i have on hand.
SK Standard plus, CCI SV, Eley Black, Eley Target, GECO Match, GECO Rifle, Aguila super extra.

Reactions: t8500shx
I have emailed two guys about aftermarket barrels and heard back from one. If there is enough interest he would consider looking into making some. He would need to look at a barrel and all that jazz.

He make aluminum shrouded barrels and I think a lightweight barrel and a match chamber would be awesome.

I plan on picking one up for my kids and a Tikka t1x for me.

A lightweight barrel like Whistlepig/beyer/Kidd/even TacSol would be sweet for kids to shot it.

Might look at having the barrel reprofiled by Boltfluter or ADCO if nothing else happens

Does anyone who owns one of these have any insight on ring height? i've got a razor gen 2 3-18x50 going on mine and some seekins 1.26 rings, not sure if they'll be high enough though.

Not sure why it didnt work, works for me. Wasnt given a price, just that he would make one.

Got on the wife’s FB and saw it. Might need to IM him for prices.

Still holding out for one from and aftermarket mfg like Kidd. Would love a better chamber - might contact CPC and see what they can do.

Anyone have any idea how much weight could be shaved off by cutting 2” and reprofiling the barrel?

Also is the barrel a 2 piece design like and ar15 barrel?

I have a 30mm 44 objective on mine with Weaver high rings and it clears the caps. Weaver is weird and list the bottom of the bad to the bottom of we’re the scope sits and it is spec’ at .49” but seems like 1.2 is to the center of the tube.. I have about an 1/8” clearance over the front hand gaurd.

I would use AR or NV height with a 50 or larger objective - your right on the edge I would guess. But I am guessing .

Thanks for the info, I guess we will find out here within the next few days.

Confirmed, 1.26 high rings fit with .228 to spare with a razor Gen II 3-18x50

So far the groups at 50 look pretty good, really better than pretty good for $400.

It will be interesting to see how it works long term. I don't think it's for me, but it might spur some better quality options down the road just like it's big brother has. I'd have loved to see Tikka do a T3X A1 version when they were teasing a new rimfire. For me it as 4 "weaknesses" that make me lose interest. That said the groups we've seen posted for $400 are very impressive for the price, and to the masses it's going to sell like hot cakes, so regardless of what I think, it's going to be a big seller.

1) The plastic chassis, give me a plastic stock fine, but I want the action/chassis interface to be metal, it just feels like a "cheap" .22.
2) While there are two action screws, the rear one goes into the trigger housing at an angle, which is not bolted to the action it's a tabbed slide fit kept in place by a spring loaded piece. So the rear "action screw" is not fixed to the action.
3) The handguard is not as stiff as it could be, especially at the end where a bipod would be. This is because the clamp interface is poorly done, the distance between the clamping bolts should be twice as wide as it is for a "wider" clamping area and better stiffness.
4) This is a nit pick but the bolt throw is stopped by one of 2 c-clips, it's hard to say how as a trainer run hard these will stand up, the clip itself is no doubt easy to replace but what is it wearing on?

I think the biggest issue I have is the plastic chassis, the reason being lets say you get one that doesn't shoot, or you want to see what you can ring out of it with a custom barrel. However, is the accuracy weakness the factory barrel, the plastic action/chassis interface, or both? You now have to run down and possibly replace the two most expensive areas that might be responsible. My other concern would be the handguard flex impacting POI, esp. with the plastic chassis, when going from bipod to just throwing it on a bag, or barricade.

My RPR shows on Monday. I plan to tear it down and do a thorough cleaning including a clean and lube of the trigger. I can then also make sure that everything is properly torqued and ready to test ammo. I'm very encouraged with what I've been seeing from various reports so far. I handled one of these at SHOT and one yesterday at the range. I was happy at how the scope and bipod balanced out the rifle.

It should be a fun rifle and good trainer. I'm not expecting this to compete with rifles that are 5 or 6 times the cost but it is starting to look like it will hold it's own against most other tactical precision rifles. I bought my 6.5CM RPR for a practice rifle and it became my match rifle. We'll see if lightning can strike twice.

Anyone know for sure if it takes the same trigger as Regular RPRs? I shoot mostly two stage Huber’s _ I see Timney has a two stage for the RPRs.. maybe that would fix some of my issues.
In all the promotional material they specifically state it uses "The exact same trigger as the precision rifle," so I'm guessing so. It would be awfully lame to tout that as a benefit and then not follow through on it.

Anyone know for sure if it takes the same trigger as Regular RPRs? I shoot mostly two stage Huber’s _ I see Timney has a two stage for the RPRs.. maybe that would fix some of my issues.

Yes, it's the same Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger as the RPR. It's also in the Ruger American Rimfire, which I have along with the RPR and I've tweeked the triggers down to under 1 lb for both, which really helps. I've come to really like the trigger and that blade is a nice safety feature when the pull is so light.

Yes, it's the same Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger as the RPR. It's also in the Ruger American Rimfire, which I have along with the RPR and I've tweeked the triggers down to under 1 lb for both, which really helps. I've come to really like the trigger and that blade is a nice safety feature when the pull is so light.
How did you get the pull that low? Clip the springs?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks ordered one. Hopefully here on Wednesday.. I'll report back as to if it is a drop in or a strike out.

Just a note that the Ruger American Rimfire, Ruger American and the RPRs are all different triggers on Timney's website. The RPR rimfire is not listed.

Ruger American Rimfire: Trigger housing stamped RF - differnt hole paterns
https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Assets/ProductImages/640R-1.jpg

Ruger American - Ruger Predators, Ranch, Crossfire and compact: Trigger housing stamped CF - differnt hole paterns
https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Assets/ProductImages/641C-Front.png

RPR Centerfire: Completely different than either of the above
https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Assets/ProductImages/650-Front.png

Don't have one, but the sources I trust from SHOT are saying it is not the same as the RPR.

They are indeed very similar and will likely operate/feel exactly the same, but RPR triggers won't drop in. If the one in video is a production version.

Go to 3:15 of video, then compare to timney trigger. Notice the front edge by the screw hole. Rimfire is notched much further back vs RPR.

They are indeed very similar and will likely operate/feel exactly the same, but RPR triggers won't drop in. If the one in video is a production version.

Go to 3:15 of video, then compare to timney trigger. Notice the front edge by the screw hole. Rimfire is notched much further back vs RPR.

Thats what I expected as the bolts are small on the rimfire. But no harm in trying.. I could not find any info on them.. but of course, I didn't search you tube.

I really appreciate the help thanks! triggerS usually can get wacky with to much work these are very different - To bad Ruger didn't make it clearer.

Posted your screen shot next to an RPR (I've never seen and RPR trigger)
RPR-and-RPR_RIM.jpg

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: goosed
Last night, my dad sent me an email inquiring about the RPR Rimfire, which I hadn't seen yet. It just looked like a great rifle, especially since it is modeled after the RPR. So I went skiing today, and on the way home, I stopped at Kittery Trading Post. When I picked up the rifle and pulled the trigger, I just had to have it.

An issue I have with the rifle is that the rail is smaller than average, which makes it tough to get the correct eye relief. Even mounting all the way to the front, I am too close to the ocular unless I rest my cheek all the way to the rear of the comb. I think they should have made the stock another couple inches aft, and extended the rail another couple inches forward. So I would recommend to anyone getting this rifle to use a cantilever mount if you can. I tried a Hensoldt in a Near mount, but the 56mm objective was too big and the bell was pressing on the aluminum handguard. The next thing I tried was a Sig Tango 6 3-18x44. Scope had no problem with clearance, but the ocular was too close and the mount had 20 moa in it. Combined with the 30 moa rail, I would probably not be able to get a zero at a reasonable distance. So for now, I am using an aimpoint in a cantilever mount with a magnifier until I decide on a new piece of glass.

The trigger is super crisp, and the gun feels really good, even holding offhand. I shot a few rounds of CCI Quiet ammo with the muzzle indoors out a window, and the report sounded like a loud snap of the fingers. Outdoors, you would barely hear anything at all. Oh, that's with a TBAC 22L-1.

For the guys shitting on this gun prior to actually handling it, I advise you to at least handle it first. This is a $400 piece, and obviously can't compete with some of the shit posted earlier in this thread. Some guy said (paraphrasing), "don't get the RPR; save up for a 'vudoo'". First of all, stop please. I know there are plenty of guys other than me who aren't quite ready to drop over 3K on a 22 rifle. The rifle has its limitations, but again, we are talking $400 here.

53948074193__FC0858B9-2B5F-47A7-AFDC-D78D125ACE54.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

Last night, my dad sent me an email inquiring about the RPR Rimfire, which I hadn't seen yet. It just looked like a great rifle, especially since it is modeled after the RPR. So I went skiing today, and on the way home, I stopped at Kittery Trading Post. When I picked up the rifle and pulled the trigger, I just had to have it.

An issue I have with the rifle is that the rail is smaller than average, which makes it tough to get the correct eye relief. Even mounting all the way to the front, I am too close to the ocular unless I rest my cheek all the way to the rear of the comb....

I'm just guessing because I haven't received mine yet, (grrrrr), but on the RPR you could pull the cheek piece all the way off and flip it around to extend toward the butt. Would that help?

I'm just guessing because I haven't received mine yet, (grrrrr), but on the RPR you could pull the cheek piece all the way off and flip it around to extend toward the butt. Would that help?

Didn't even know you could do that. Let me try

How did you get the pull that low? Clip the springs?

Thanks in advance.

First I replaced the spring with a spring from a ink pen, which got it well below 2 lbs. Then I just simply removed the spring all together and I've been shooting it this way on both guns for over 1700 rounds on my .308 RPR without so much as a hiccup.

Reactions: MONIO57
Thanks ordered one. Hopefully here on Wednesday.. I'll report back as to if it is a drop in or a strike out.

Just a note that the Ruger American Rimfire, Ruger American and the RPRs are all different triggers on Timney's website. The RPR rimfire is not listed.

Ruger American Rimfire: Trigger housing stamped RF - differnt hole paterns
https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Assets/ProductImages/640R-1.jpg

Ruger American - Ruger Predators, Ranch, Crossfire and compact: Trigger housing stamped CF - differnt hole paterns
https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Assets/ProductImages/641C-Front.png

RPR Centerfire: Completely different than either of the above
https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Assets/ProductImages/650-Front.png

While Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ triggers used in their different rifles are of the same design, they're not interchangeable (as far as I know) as I'd expect there to me some small changes in the housing to fit a particular rifle's design. The one on my Ruger Americal Rimfire and RPR look virtually identical, do adjust identically and have the same feel (only about 2 oz difference in pull with the springs removed). I expect the trigger on the RPRF to be much the same that way.

I really like the stock trigger. It is crispy

Depending on how bad you want one, our local Field and Steam in Greensboro had at least one this weekend on display priced at $479 I think. I personally didn’t like it any more in person.

If your shooting an RPR with the stock trigger than you'd be good to go with this one, I am not doing either. One of the reasons (along with the price) I got the RPR-rimfire, was that I mistakenly thought I could add a Timney 2 stage to more closely resemble my other systems. It is a bummer that this was not made a bit clearer by Ruger.

I'm pretty sure Timney will be adding one for this model pretty quickly. They jumped on the RPR quickly one it was obvious it was going to be popular. Most of the engineering is already done since the triggers are so similar.

$0.02

I'm pretty sure Timney will be adding one for this model pretty quickly. They jumped on the RPR quickly one it was obvious it was going to be popular. Most of the engineering is already done since the triggers are so similar.

$0.02

Yeah. Given the target market for this rifle, I can't see that Timney wouldn't get a trigger out for it (particularly if this RPRF is anywhere near as popular at the RPR had turned out).

I brought my RPR home today. I tore it down for a thorough cleaning and also hosed down the trigger with some cleaner/lube. I checked it after I got everything back together and it drops at 1.5 to 1.7lbs. This is straight from the factory with just a flush job.

I brought my RPR home today. I tore it down for a thorough cleaning and also hosed down the trigger with some cleaner/lube. I checked it after I got everything back together and it drops at 1.5 to 1.7lbs. This is straight from the factory with just a flush job.

Solid

Reactions: DBillings
Shot 7 different types of ammo through mine yesterday. Only one it liked was SK standard plus. Had a 30 shot SD of under 10 and good groups. The rest of the groups are 10 shot. Here’s the data I gathered...

SK Standard Plus: 30 shot
Avg: 1036
Max: 1057
Min: 1018
SD: 9.9

GECO Match:
Avg: 1018
Max: 1042
Min: 986
SD: 23.6

ELEY Black:
Avg: 1074
Max: 1104
Min: 1062
SD: 12.6

ELEY Target:
Avg: 1093
Max: 1119
Min: 1053
SD: 16.5

CCI SV:
Avg: 1071
Max: 1096
Min: 1031
SD: 16.4

Aguila super extra:
Avg: 1173
Max: 1207
Min: 1111
SD: 27.0

Winchester wildcat:
Avg:1194
Max: 1230
Min: 1132
SD:23.1

Shot 7 different types of ammo through mine yesterday. Only one it liked was SK standard plus. Had a 30 shot SD of under 10 and good groups. The rest of the groups are 10 shot. Here’s the data I gathered...

Great info.

Did you measure groups?