• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

Same question as Munkipox.. Mine seems to shoot as well as the MarkII, how did it compare to your CZ455? I just ran across your F/S post

thanks distance?

50 yards. The CZ liked more kinds of ammo group wise, but SDs were similar.

50 yards. The CZ liked more kinds of ammo group wise, but SDs were similar.
Btw all this 22 grouping stuff including the images I posted had we wondering if I could just use my PCP air gun.

I got the absolutely NOT from our guy that is running the matches.

It has been a while sense I shot my PCP, all I have is 30y set up at my house.. but here is the first 10 round group. I forgot how great these things shoot.. I have been only using it for minute of crow.. lots of crows ;)

1E859473-CCF6-45E6-9FBD-EC8BD59B3AD7.jpeg
58494-e85174ed9a00db253d38dfc39e9810d6.jpg

Close up with pellet in hole for scale.

bipod— prone .. obviously wish the RPR was as accurate..

Attachments

• 95E7798F-4646-4532-8361-F56302069D49.jpeg
    95E7798F-4646-4532-8361-F56302069D49.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Reactions: Rover31
Got mine out today and put some rounds through it.
Ergo grip
Wiebad Cheek pad
SWFA 3-15x42mm SS
Cheap Chinese knock-off bipod (more on that later...)

RugerRimfire.jpg

I did a light fire-lapping of the barrel. I had previous good results from doing the same on my Ruger American rimfire and Ruger Precision 6.5cm, so I figured what the heck. I'm not sure how much it helped, but I don't think it hurt anything.

Cleaning and adjusting the trigger, the pull reads 1.5lb which is below what Ruger specified, but I won't complain! I like the feel of it. It is a significant upgrade over the trigger on the Ruger American. At least it feels that way to me.

I did have trouble with my scope and rings getting the proper eye relief at the LOP I would have normally like to set. I had to extend the LOP a bit which ended up feeling fine so I'm OK with that. I did have a feeling at that point that my cheekbone was hanging off the back edge of the check rest so I removed it and flipped it around backwards and that fixed that.

I also was not thrilled with the stock bottom. RPR has the same flaw. There is just no comfortable place to grab hold there. I might cut a piece of rail cover to fit on there to ride the bag, or maybe try a monopod again.

My biggest problem was with my cheap Chinese bipod. It's well made, but it was too short. I was having to lie lower than was comfortable. It fact I was pretty damn uncomfortable. I'm not as bendy as I was in my youth and it put my neck in a bad place. I have an Atlas on my RPR, so I guess I will swap them and share. That would have been much better. I felt it definitely was hurting my groups. (yeah, thats it!)

Now, I'm just a casual, hobby plinker. I've never competed, and don't plan too. Still I really felt I could improve upon these groups. I felt like a large part of the group size was purely due to me and my discomfort. Once I get my ergonomics squared away, I feel this rifle will shrink the groups further. So don't over over judge the rifle by my spazzy trigger pulling.

So here are my groups (don't laugh!):

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

page4.jpg

I did a redo on the CCI SV on the last page. I didn't feel I had given it a fair chance. I think with a more comfortable shooting position, I can shrink these groups another 25%.

I think the CCI SV is going to be my best bang for the buck. I might keep a brick of Midas+ around for days with zero wind, when it is really worth it.

$0.02.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Found some higher rings laying around and I was able to get my hensoldt on top. Eye relief seems ok so far

Attachments

• 92311F34-AEE6-4021-9581-1EAD2D8B39AF.jpeg
    92311F34-AEE6-4021-9581-1EAD2D8B39AF.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 276
  • A5F4BC4D-F89C-455E-8045-A9B4D2FF3599.jpeg
    A5F4BC4D-F89C-455E-8045-A9B4D2FF3599.jpeg
    648 KB · Views: 285
I found one of these yesterday at a LGS. I compared this with the RAR Target model and a CZ 455 Varmint.

It's basically a toss up of what one likes more. I was considering buying the RAR target and changing the stock down the road, but don't see the need to do that - just buy the RPR 22.

I like CZ. I did own a 452 Varmint for a few years. Very nice, but the Ruger has a few advantages I feel. 1. Tang safety that operates as we are accustomed in the US. 2) 10/22 mags 3) drilled and tapped receiver for scope mounting.

Cycling bolt on either one wasn't much different.

Like a guy said - unless you just want to drop thousands on a custom 22 the RPR will do what 90% of us want and need.

I'm going to buy one for sure.

Reactions: Ep1985
When I saw the release I was with those that assumed it would be another mediocre Ruger, range reports have me second guessing my first impression. If nothing else I love to see this kind of support for rimfire prs. Definitely worth look.

I have had mine for about a month. As long as I am using descent ammo, Center X, federal Match, Ultra Match or R50, groups average .2 inches at 50 yards. Best has been .145 with Federal Match. 100 yards on a breezy day was .71. These were with a cheap scope, and a not too stable rest. Got some new bags and a better scope, but the winds have been too high. Hopefully next week will be better.

That's encouraging, have you tried any CCI SV? That's probably what I'll be shooting most.

That's encouraging, have you tried any CCI SV? That's probably what I'll be shooting most.
I have tried it, and it didn't do well at all. Neither did Norma Match 22. Tenex wasn't the best either, which was a surprise considering its high cost. Consistently, the best was Federal Ultra Match, Center X and R50. All were equal.

I guess it's no different than any other .22, feed it different ammo and see what it likes best. Thanks for the info.

I guess it's no different than any other .22, feed it different ammo and see what it likes best. Thanks for the info.
Yep. I did notice that whenever I switched ammo, until I ran 6 or 7 rounds of that specific ammo through it, the groups were so so. After 6 or 7, they tightened up a lot. The Match, Ultra Match, Center X and R50 would always end up all holes touching after the 6 or 7.

Interesting. I have heard some ppl clean the barrel after each brand of ammo they use. I have never tried it, but might be worth looking at.

I did, group is posted above; here is the data I collected, it wasn’t great.

CCI SV:
Avg: 1071
Max: 1096
Min: 1031
SD: 16.4

I did, group is posted above; here is the data I collected, it wasn’t great.

CCI SV:
Avg: 1071
Max: 1096
Min: 1031
SD: 16.4
I saw that, I wasn't hoping somebody else had tried it and it was better. That's what ammo I have the most of, so was hoping it would be decent. Thanks for posting your results.

Interesting. I have heard some ppl clean the barrel after each brand of ammo they use. I have never tried it, but might be worth looking at.
I heard that too. I tried it, and it didn't work for me. It does on my Remington 700 in 270, but didn't with either my 10/22 or the RPR. I guess each rifle is different. Do what works best!

I have a found pulling a dry bore snake between brands will usually get the new lube to settle at 3-5 rounds vs 7-10 when testing .22 ammo.

I saw that, I wasn't hoping somebody else had tried it and it was better. That's what ammo I have the most of, so was hoping it would be decent. Thanks for posting your results.

FWIW, the results were nearly identical in my CZ 455 with CCI SV. I think it’s just not match quality ammo.

FWIW, the results were nearly identical in my CZ 455 with CCI SV. I think it’s just not match quality ammo.
Oh ok. Well. Good to know. It shoots good in the Savage FVSR, was wanting it to be good in the RPR also. It will probably be good enough for me to use for crow and squirrel.

Last edited:
Got mine out today and put some rounds through it.
Ergo grip
Wiebad Cheek pad
SWFA 3-15x42mm SS
Cheap Chinese knock-off bipod (more on that later...)

View attachment 6875347

$0.02.
Wiebad stock pad - you just order one that fits "Ruger Precision"??..not sure if stock is same measurement as it's big brother.

I'm having great success with mine so far, nice budget friendly plinker

Wiebad stock pad - you just order one that fits "Ruger Precision"??..not sure if stock is same measurement as it's big brother.

I'm having great success with mine so far, nice budget friendly plinker

That's what I put on mine.
Mini Stock Pad
(MSP Type: Ruger Precision Rifle)
Color:Black

The cheek piece seems pretty much identical size to me.

Yeah, I'm loving mine so far too.

You can just use moleskin. Cut in any shape or size. It’s super cheap, is good in the cold and the heat and blazing sun and does not add unnecessary height. It deals well with sweat and not slippery. Zoom in to see what the texture looks like if you don’t know what moleskin is.
119493A8-D7DF-4477-9061-83159FFD8E97.jpeg

Last edited:
You can just use moleskin. Cut in any shape or size. It’s super cheap, is good in the cold and the heat and blazing sun and does not add unnecessary height. It deals well with sweat and not slippery. Zoom in to see what the texture looks like if you don’t know what moleskin is.

Sweet. There is always more than one way to skin a cat! Or a Mole as the case may be.

Reactions: TipToeTango
Some group from the weekend.
5 shot/ 50 yd

Fed GM UM---FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL ULTRAMATCH

FED GM MATCH--FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL MATCH

Attachments

• 20180223_085037.jpg
    20180223_085037.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 382
  • 20180223_085205.jpg
    20180223_085205.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 20180211_084841a.jpg
    20180211_084841a.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 395
Some group from the weekend.
5 shot/ 50 yd

Fed GM UM---FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL ULTRAMATCH

FED GM MATCH--FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL MATCH
Man, that's some really nice groups with this gun. Is this just with the factory gun or did you make any upgrades?

Reactions: edubya
I replaced the factory trigger spring that you can adjust with a lighter compression one, the trigger is 16.3 oz.

All shooting was done with the suppressor

Went and shot 15 types of 22lr this weekend, will do more later.

The RPR rimfire loves Fed gold metal Ultra match and Fed gold metal Match.
50 YD 5 shot groups from .387 to .198( the best of the day was Fed gold metal Match).

Fed gold metal target, CCI std vel, CCI sgb, Wolf match target, PMC moderator, Geco 22 sa, CCI suppressor, Norma Tac 22, RWS target rifle, CCI green tag, Fed auto match, Magtech 22 sv. American eagle suppressor all shot 3/4 to over 1 inch.

The wind picked up and could not do any 100 yd groups.

Picked up some different Eley ammo this weekend to try later.

This rifle will shoot, you just have to find out what it likes

.22 PLinkster did a YouTube video of the RPR and he also determined that it liked federal gold medal ultra match the best.

.22 PLinkster did a YouTube video of the RPR and he also determined that it liked federal gold medal ultra match the best.

I got some FGMUM to try next. Still looking for some CenterX.
Midas+ sure shot good, but it's a little rich for plinking. lol

You can just use moleskin. Cut in any shape or size. It’s super cheap, is good in the cold and the heat and blazing sun and does not add unnecessary height. It deals well with sweat and not slippery. Zoom in to see what the texture looks like if you don’t know what moleskin is.View attachment 6876976

That is an awesome looking place to shoot. Is that personal property or a club?

Well I got out finally to run some rounds through the new rifle. It started out like crap and then started to settle down after 25'ish rounds as expected for a factory barrel. I expect to see a plethora of custom barrels out in a few months so with nothing to lose. I think I'm going to turn to the dark side and try a little fire lapping with this factory barrel to speed up the break-in. I had very good results on my RPR so what the hell.

I picked up a Wheeler Bore Lapping Kit and some JB Bore Compound to go through the process. I'm still deciding on the combination of grits and compounds to use but I'll probably start off a little on the conservative side and work through the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathan11B
Well I got out finally to run some rounds through the new rifle. It started out like crap and then started to settle down after 25'ish rounds as expected for a factory barrel. I expect to see a plethora of custom barrels out in a few months so with nothing to lose. I think I'm going to turn to the dark side and try a little fire lapping with this factory barrel to speed up the break-in. I had very good results on my RPR so what the hell.

I picked up a Wheeler Bore Lapping Kit and some JB Bore Compound to go through the process. I'm still deciding on the combination of grits and compounds to use but I'll probably start off a little on the conservative side and work through the process.

Let use know how it works for you.

I did the Wheeler kit that came with 2 metal plates and 3 grits.

I was fairly conservative:
5 rounds 220 grit
10 rounds 320 grit
20 rounds of 600 grit
Cleaning barrel every 5 shots.
Aquila SSS Subsonic for the round. Slow with lots of bearing surface.

I don't think it did any harm. Running a patch definitely felt a LOT smoother at the end. I didn't gather any good before/after data but I had used the same before on a Ruger American Rimfire and Ruger 6.5 Precision and saw good results. Probably 20-25% reduction in group sizes.

I used the Tubbs Final Finish on my RPR 6.5CM right out of the box and that rifle was the proverbial tack driver till I changed the barrel in the off season at 2500+ rounds. I'd never use this type of system on a custom barrel that had been hand lapped but for this factory barrel there seems to be the potential for a pretty good up-side.

It's really windy here for the next few days so I probably won't get out again till maybe the middle of the month or a bit earlier. I'll also probably run my Lab Radar doing a before and after as well to get some data on the process. I'll use CCI SV for the application which should do as good of a job as any.

Reactions: Munkipox
If you want a more controlled way of smoothing out (or wearing out, however you want to look at it) the bore, you can use Remington 40x Bore Cleaner (used to be called RemClean) and brass and nylon bore brushes.
On a new factory barrel, I'll apply the bore cleaner by saturating a brass brush and running it back and forth through the bore until the brush is worn out (push a clean patch through and clean off the rod and brush after every ten passes). Repeat with the bore cleaner on a nylon brush until you're happy with the job (or eliminated all rifling).
This'll take the bore down to bare metal so be mindful that it may be more prone to corrosion.

I know it can sound scary shooting grit down a new barrel (and I agree with QuickDraw, I'd not use it on a custom hand-lapped barrel), But I have had good results on 3 Ruger factory barrels now. With moderation and care I don't think you will damage a factory barrel and might squeeze some improvement out of it.

(Btw, forgot to mention it was the Tubb's system I used on the 6.5. I used the Wheeler kit on the .22's.)

Here is an interesting write up by Rob01, one of the moderators on Sniper's Hide: http://www.teamblaster.net/reviews/TubbFFTMS.pdf

$0.02.